PDA

View Full Version : Power to the people reviews

Mr. Nemo
10-13-2001, 03:29 AM
I just bought "power to the people," it arrived today, and I just finished reading it. I haven't done the workouts yet, but I wonder if anyone else here has tried it (I think qeysus and Ford Prefect have), and if so, what are your thoughts? Did you like it?

Also, I'm a little worried about the barbell clamps in my gym - the side press preparation involves turning the barbell on its side - will the clamps hold the weights in place?

Also, what kind of barbell do you need for the heavier deadlifts? Not that I'm a deadlift god or anything, but deads involve a lot of weight, and I wonder how I can tell which barbells can handle all that weight and which can't.

Kumkuat
10-13-2001, 05:32 AM
I think you don't have to worry about the deadlift bar not being able to handle the weight unless your barbell is made out of foam or something.

ElPietro
10-13-2001, 07:16 AM
Use the barbells used for benchpress...they can hold more than you'll ever be able to deadlift so don't worry about that.

I've never heard of a routine that tells you to hold a barbell on it's side...but I guess just test it out and see...also see if whatever you are doing can be done with dumbells instead...pretty much everything can be done with dumbells.

Mr. Nemo
10-13-2001, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Elpietro, Pavel prefers the barbell on the side press because it works the stabilizing muscles more.

Ford Prefect
10-13-2001, 05:39 PM
It works for sure. Kind of like a "slow and steady wins the race" approach. The periodization cycles are the most important thing in that book, so make sure you understand them.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-14-2001, 10:25 PM
is it pretty much $35 wherever you get it?

. .. trying to save my lazy, phone exhausted ass a call to my local book store.

where's my beer?