PDA

View Full Version : Branching from Taiji into other Internal Arts

Crushing Step
10-10-2012, 10:37 AM
OK, I have a serious question, one that is sure to invite personal opinions! But I want to hear them, so here goes.

I love TCC as well as "northern" kung fu styles. I really want to explore more internal styles, and have as of yet been resistant to adding in Xingyi or Bagua. Partly because I know little to nothing about those arts, and partly because I know I have only so many training hours available.

If I were to make the switch to go "all internal", and I know this term is in mild debate, what are some suggestions? Should I simply seek to advance my TJQ? If I should lean towards Bagua or Xingyi, why?

I would also state that I am traditionally trained by a qualified sifu, but an additional style might have to be in the form of video. This is probably reason number three for not getting into it yet. I feel confident if I were to pick up a TJQ video, that I understand enough of the essence of the art to learn. Plus, I would have access to my teacher, though I live far away I still do see him. If I were to pick up a new art, I feel the concepts may be radically different.

OK, your thoughts?

Empty_Cup
10-10-2012, 10:52 AM
OK, I have a serious question, one that is sure to invite personal opinions! But I want to herar them, so here goes.

I love TCC as well as "northern" kung fu styles. I really want to explore more internal styles, and have as of yet been resistant to adding in Xingyi or Bagua. Partly because I know little to nothing about those arts, and partly because I know I have only so many training hours available.

If I were to make the switch to go "all internal", and I know this term is in mild debate, what are some suggestions? Should I simply seek to advance my TJQ? If I should lean towards Bagua or Xingyi, why?

I would also state that I am traditionally trained by a qualified sifu, but an additional style might have to be in the form of video. This is probably reason number three for not getting into it yet. I feel confident if I were to pick up a TJQ video, that I understand enough of the essence of the art to learn. Plus, I would have access to my teacher, though I live far away I still do see him. If I were to pick up a new art, I feel the concepts may be radically different.

OK, your thoughts?

Would you also consider Chen TJQ an option?

Robinhood
10-10-2012, 11:05 AM
OK, I have a serious question, one that is sure to invite personal opinions! But I want to herar them, so here goes.

OK, your thoughts?

I would not look at internal as learning a new art, it is more like building an additional motor.

The problem with a lot of so called internal styles is that have been commercialized ,and thus it is that they are not doing internal art anymore, but the sad part is that they don't even know it.

You need to find someone that can actually apply internal art, not just claim it, and is willing to share, not someone that wants to sell you a package of forms, and claim that doing them over and over will lead to internal development, it usually will not.

Good Luck

Crushing Step
10-10-2012, 01:09 PM
I actually have immense interest in Chen TJQ.