PDA

View Full Version : Are we still relevant?

mickey
10-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Greetings,

I just posted the movie Walking Tall (1973) in Kung Fu Expresso. I noted that things have worsened since then. Please check out the movie and share your thoughts on this thread.

mickey

sanjuro_ronin
10-12-2012, 05:33 AM
What do you mean by "we" and "relevant"?

mickey
10-12-2012, 06:13 AM
Hi sanjuro ronin

I pretty much left that open to allow people who watched the movie respond with what they got out of it. There are levels to that onion and I do not want to keep it narrow to see how the responses will flow. I may not get much in return or I may get an earful. Nor was I trying to create a platform for debate. In that case I would have to be specific.

mickey

sanjuro_ronin
10-12-2012, 06:24 AM
A lot of "take justice into your own hands" movies play on our base desire for not only justice, but justice vented by our OWN hands, a control and superiority issue.
The main reason these things do not typically work in the "real world" is that violence begets violence and in the end, the circle of violence leads to the destruction of all parties involved.
When it does work it is the exception, very rare exception.

David Jamieson
10-12-2012, 07:39 AM
A lot of "take justice into your own hands" movies play on our base desire for not only justice, but justice vented by our OWN hands, a control and superiority issue.
The main reason these things do not typically work in the "real world" is that violence begets violence and in the end, the circle of violence leads to the destruction of all parties involved.
When it does work it is the exception, very rare exception.

I agree with this POV.
Vigilante justice is rarely valuable justice or even reconcilable. It is barely a step away from lynch mobs.

bawang
10-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Greetings,

I just posted the movie Walking Tall (1973) in Kung Fu Expresso. I noted that things have worsened since then. Please check out the movie and share your thoughts on this thread.

mickeyok, go perform vigilante justice on a street gang and see what happens. lol.

sanjuro_ronin
10-12-2012, 09:36 AM
All that said, there is much truth to:
For evil to succeed, all it takes is for good people to do nothing.

mickey
10-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Greetings,

While non violence is the preferred way, what happens to all of that when structures of control, government and big business, are so willing to pull a trigger on you and even destroy the environment where you live? This has yet to be resolved.

mickey

sanjuro_ronin
10-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Greetings,

While non violence is the preferred way, what happens to all of that when structures of control, government and big business, are so willing to pull a trigger on you and even destroy the environment where you live? This has yet to be resolved.

mickey

Be the change you want to see happen.
Some people feel overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of "changing the world", well, you don't have to, you just have to change YOU and when everyone has...

Sure its sounds naive, but it is the only way to do it.
Violence begets violence and it is a never ending cycle that can last generations.
There may be a time where we have no choice but to use violence in (and only in) self protection and the protection of those we love, but even then it must be viewed as a failure and not something to "look up to".

Syn7
10-12-2012, 06:16 PM
I agree with this POV.
Vigilante justice is rarely valuable justice or even reconcilable. It is barely a step away from lynch mobs.

Yeah, but nothing says behave like a right cross to the beak. :D

There are serious issues when taking justice out of the hands of the people. It goes both ways. I think I could argue either side pretty well.

If we are going to have government bodies dishing out justice, they should be elected. Not all of them, but the top dogs for sure. Judges should be elected, police chiefs should be elected, Sheriffs should be elected etc etc. Electoral financing is another topic but in a nutshell I think everyone should get a certain amount and NO MORE, NO LESS.

Syn7
10-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Some people feel overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of "changing the world", well, you don't have to, you just have to change YOU and when everyone has...

Sure its sounds naive, but it is the only way to do it.
Violence begets violence and it is a never ending cycle that can last generations.
There may be a time where we have no choice but to use violence in (and only in) self protection and the protection of those we love, but even then it must be viewed as a failure and not something to "look up to".

There is merit in armed revolution. Reform is a pipe dream. Is the slow raping of our planet and it's people by a small percentage not a physical attack?

You eat their poison, breathe their poison, live by their good grace(because they need you). This is not an attack on you and yours? Think of a bucket of water, many have thimbles and get at the bucket but only after the men with jugs take what they want. You get the leavings. This is not a physical attack on you and yours? Is equality not worth fighting for?

I don't believe we need to start shooting rich people, I'm playing devils advocate a lil bit. I'm ready for whatever.

What really bothers me is that I do not have the right to just head into the bush and live off the land. I would be arrested and charged for poaching and illegal homesteading. My natural rights as a living being on this planet are being suppressed by people who have more than they need and still want more. Now we have this feeling like we need to protect this planet and we put that responsibility into the hands of the biggest offenders. WTF? :confused:

Syn7
10-12-2012, 06:49 PM

Ok let's examine that.

I want to be self sufficient and I do not want to be forced to play a game I disagree with so that I can afford to live my natural born right to freely exist. I don't want to go make money to buy land to live the way I want. I want it now and who is anyone to so no? How dare anyone tell me that I can't settle and be responsible for myself and the ones I love. It's just another form of control and it's bullsh1t.

What would you do? Take off into the bush and just try to avoid rangers and forest service workers? What happens when I build a beautiful home for my family then some Chinese coal mining corp leases the rights to 10,000 hectares that happen to be where I live? Why should I have to avoid contact with civilization if I wanna live a natural lifestyle?

sanjuro_ronin
10-15-2012, 05:45 AM
Ok let's examine that.

I want to be self sufficient and I do not want to be forced to play a game I disagree with so that I can afford to live my natural born right to freely exist. I don't want to go make money to buy land to live the way I want. I want it now and who is anyone to so no? How dare anyone tell me that I can't settle and be responsible for myself and the ones I love. It's just another form of control and it's bullsh1t.

What would you do? Take off into the bush and just try to avoid rangers and forest service workers? What happens when I build a beautiful home for my family then some Chinese coal mining corp leases the rights to 10,000 hectares that happen to be where I live? Why should I have to avoid contact with civilization if I wanna live a natural lifestyle?

How is wanting to be self-sufficient "being the change you want to see happen" ?
Seems more like "running away from society" as opposed to "changing society".

MightyB
10-15-2012, 06:21 AM
Syn7, you have help. (http://crimethinc.com/)

Syn7
10-15-2012, 06:13 PM
lol. there are tons of things like that .

SJ
sorta playing devils advocate here.

It only seems like running away because not many folks do that. People are soft, they don't want to give up their comforts, and I get that. But if you want the world to live more naturally, that is being the example. How is it not?

For the record, as much as I enjoy taking off into the bush for a week with a rifle and basic supplies, I don't want to go live off the land. I would appreciate the option tho. Overpopulation is a b1tch!

sanjuro_ronin
10-16-2012, 05:39 AM
lol. there are tons of things like that .

SJ
sorta playing devils advocate here.

It only seems like running away because not many folks do that. People are soft, they don't want to give up their comforts, and I get that. But if you want the world to live more naturally, that is being the example. How is it not?

For the record, as much as I enjoy taking off into the bush for a week with a rifle and basic supplies, I don't want to go live off the land. I would appreciate the option tho. Overpopulation is a b1tch!

If you want to change society, to make a difference on a greater scale, then going off and doing your own thing is probably not the best way to do it.
Sure you may begin a trend and it may even expand but unless the change you want to see happen is more people living in isolation, then what is your point?

Syn7
10-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Sorry for the wait. I'll answer this a lil later when I have time.