PDA

View Full Version : getting in and out of the gym while taking adaquate rests between sets.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-15-2001, 06:06 PM
i often hear people saying that you should get in and out of the weight room as quick as possible yet at the same time i hear that when lifting heavy you should be taking a minute and a half to five minutes rest between sets.

how are both of these possible?

if i take about a 2 minute rest between sets i'm lifting for an hour minimum. this is with only 3 - 4 exercises and 2 for foreamrs.

where's my beer?

Shaolin36
10-15-2001, 06:27 PM
GDA,
It depends what you're going for. Remember our last thread w/ Ironfist. Refer to it-It has some good points.

Shaolin36
Fan TOu Rui

Ford Prefect
10-15-2001, 06:32 PM
Yeah. It depends on your program, your goals, your supplements (gear/no gear) etc. It can 30 minutes to complete a functional full-body exercise regimen, and then it could take an hour to complete a "chest day" split style boydbuilder routine and vice-versa. Just make sure that your program reflects your goals.

In either case, most reserachers agree that testosterone production drops off dramatically after 45 minutes of intense work, so I always try to keep it in that range.

Mr. Nemo
10-15-2001, 09:29 PM
"if i take about a 2 minute rest between sets i'm lifting for an hour minimum. this is with only 3 -4 exercises and 2 for foreamrs."

You must be doing an assload of sets, then. How many?

I think the most common solution to this problem is to split your workout over two or more days.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-16-2001, 01:10 AM
too many . . .

2/3 max
2/6 dropped weight
2/6 dropped weight
2/till exhaustion at about half of original weight

i have recently dropped one of those sets, but it still takes me a good while to finish lifting. im getting closer to under an hour so i guess im doing alright.

i just never understood how people said they got done lifting in 20 mins. i could do tht if i took very little rest between sets, but i always heard its best to take a good rest between them.

where's my beer?

Mr. Nemo
10-16-2001, 02:28 AM
I'm done lifting in half an hour, but that's because I only do between 6 and 9 sets total my entire workout. I actually take longer breaks, 3-4 minutes, between sets.

Power to the people is going great so far, thanks for asking.

ElPietro
10-16-2001, 04:50 PM
Personally I think 8 sets is a waste of time...there is only so much you can do before you are getting very little gains...looking at your set breakdown I'd start with a warm-up set and then maybe go to your max lift and then drop for two sets and then move on. Are you working only one bodypart per day? Your regimen seems incomplete. Elaborate if you can.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-16-2001, 05:43 PM
actually this is what i posted on another thread asking if the way i lifted was alright ...

"i go as heavy as i can for 3 sets of 3
drop some weight 2 sets of 6 - 8

drops some weight 2 sets of 6 - 8

drop to about half the weight from my first set and go 2 sets until exhaustion.

i do two exercises for each body part, two body parts and forearms per session.

my goal is mass right now. this leaves me sore for about 3 days so i figure i'm getting the desired effect, but i wanted to see if any of you had any opinions about lifting like this."

they addressed the fact that i was doing way to many sets and that i needed to cut back on at least some of them.

i have recently cut out one set per body part, but my goal is mass right now. i was trying to rip down the muscle as much as possible while not ignoring strength work.

i think im going to try what you said, but maybe without the warm up set. i'll do max 3/3 and then drop the weight twice but only do 1 set of 6 or 8 per set, and then 1 exhaustion set if i really feel like i need it for that muscle. what is the point of a warm up set other than to avoid injury which i feel that i am immune to?

where's my beer?