PDA

View Full Version : Xing Yi

Sihing73
10-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Hello,

My 14 year old daughter has expressed an interest in learning Xing Yi based on some things I told her about the art. I have also been interested in Xing Yi for some time as well. While I am a Wing Chun person at my core, I am also interested in exploring some other things.

Anyhow, I wanted to see if there were any member os the CYKFA (Ching Yi Kung Fu Association) on this board and if so get some feedback on the training. There is an affiliate school in Lawrenceville, GA and I am going to go visit them in a couple of weeks.

Would appreciate any feedback anyone would care to contribute.

Empty_Cup
10-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Hello,

My 14 year old daughter has expressed an interest in learning Xing Yi based on some things I told her about the art. I have also been interested in Xing Yi for some time as well. While I am a Wing Chun person at my core, I am also interested in exploring some other things.

Anyhow, I wanted to see if there were any member os the CYKFA (Ching Yi Kung Fu Association) on this board and if so get some feedback on the training. There is an affiliate school in Lawrenceville, GA and I am going to go visit them in a couple of weeks.

I am not a member of the CYKFA but you should probably get in touch with brucereiter since you're fairly close to Atlanta.

brucereiter
10-21-2012, 10:20 AM
I study gao Bagua here. http://www.pathsatlanta.org/kung-fu-training/

It is very similar to hsing I ... Allen carrol teaches hsing I there. I think hat would be a good place to start. I think there will be new classes near chamblee Marta station.

Sihing73
10-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Bruce, I had seen the Paths site before and was curious about classes there.
I believe Allen Carol trained under Alan Pittman. Funny thing is I am considering moving up to Canton or perhaps Dawsonville. This would be closer to Alan as I believe he is located in Ellijay.

Thing for me is trying to balance single dad, work and training. Since my oldest is interested and I am too, I am going to try and make a Xing Yi class. Who knows, we may run into each other some time.

Thanks again.

Sihing73
11-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Hello,

Went and checked out Allen Carroll's class today.
He seems to be a really cool person and very skilled.
He also knows my Kuntao Guru as well.
They currently train outside but are opening an indoor class soon.
Seems to go well with my Wing Chun, differing energy but still workable.
I am also hoping to get some health benefits as well.

brucereiter, perhaps you can introduce yourself to me if we every cross paths.

brucereiter
11-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Hello,

Went and checked out Allen Carroll's class today.
He seems to be a really cool person and very skilled.
He also knows my Kuntao Guru as well.
They currently train outside but are opening an indoor class soon.
Seems to go well with my Wing Chun, differing energy but still workable.
I am also hoping to get some health benefits as well.

brucereiter, perhaps you can introduce yourself to me if we every cross paths.

Nice... I am glad you checked out the class. Allen is a top notch person. I hope you can check out Dave's Bagua too. Feel free to contact me here any time... I look forward to seeing you at a class, it would be a Bagua class for me though.

tattooedmonk
11-14-2012, 07:11 AM
Hello,

http://chingyikungfuatl.com/index.html. This is where you want to go. I am black belt number 102 on the association site http://www.chingyikungfu.com/index.php?m=5

Sihing73
11-15-2012, 11:32 AM
http://chingyikungfuatl.com/index.html. This is where you want to go. I am black belt number 102 on the association site http://www.chingyikungfu.com/index.php?m=5

Hello,

I was interested in checking them out but the classes are only on Sundays once a week. I just took a part time job on the weekends, Christmas is coming ;), so I will not be able to make weekend classes for a bit.

Sihing73
11-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Hello,

While my daughter has opted to not train in Xing Yi, I have started training the art.
While I find the energy to be different than my Wing Chun, I do find some common elements. It seems that my Wing Chun training, the sensitivity and "recycling hands" work well into the Xing Yi. I find the attitude to be very close as well; Forward aggressive movement which overwhelms the opponent.

I am looking forward to learning more and exploring this further.

If anyone is interested I will be happy to post my experience and how it coincides with my Wing Chun/Silat/Kali.

brucereiter
12-03-2012, 02:04 AM
Hello,

While my daughter has opted to not train in Xing Yi, I have started training the art.
While I find the energy to be different than my Wing Chun, I do find some common elements. It seems that my Wing Chun training, the sensitivity and "recycling hands" work well into the Xing Yi. I find the attitude to be very close as well; Forward aggressive movement which overwhelms the opponent.

I am looking forward to learning more and exploring this further.

If anyone is interested I will be happy to post my experience and how it coincides with my Wing Chun/Silat/Kali.

i have found many similarities in wing chin and bagua/hsingi.

please do post your experiences.

Sihing73
12-05-2012, 06:02 AM
Bruce,

Definitely will keep you posted.
Also, since they are oving class inside start in January perhaps we will get a chance to meet.

Sihing73
12-26-2012, 05:54 AM
Hello,

Wanted to provide an update on my take on Xing Yi and whether or not it is compatable with Wing Chun.

To be fair I am only just getting started with Xing Yi and have not been to a lot of classes. I am hoping to be able to start out more regularily after the New Year.

I do find the attitude of aggressive attack to be very similar to Wing Chun. The idea of using structure to overwhelm the opponent seems to go hand in hand with my first Wing Chun instructors teaching.

The Crushing Fist seems to be Wing Chun in its directness and simplicity of motion. Of course, there is alot more to this fist than is on the surface.

I believe that the concept of rooting will be better explored and refined by training in Xing Yi and this will have a direct carry over to my Wing Chun and make it even more applicable.

While some systems of Wing Chun do teach and train rooting and structure, all I can say is that the Xing Yi made it much more apparent and easier, for me at least, to understand. We'll see if this pans out or whether I am off base.

It will be interesting to see where my Wing Chun, and Xing Yi, are in 3 months.

sean_stonehart
12-26-2012, 06:08 AM
Nice... I am glad you checked out the class. Allen is a top notch person. I hope you can check out Dave's Bagua too. Feel free to contact me here any time... I look forward to seeing you at a class, it would be a Bagua class for me though.

Big AL... way to go for XYQ.