PDA

View Full Version : Muay Thai crosstraining?

scotty1
10-16-2001, 05:24 PM
Hi
i currrently do one 2hr class a week in 5 Animals
and I've just found out that there is a Muay Thai class being taught under some Thai guy whos won over 150 fights in Thailand, in a town close by to where I live.
Now, i'm tempted. Don't know why, but i am.
thing is, I don't want to sacrifice any kungu training in order to do it, and I can't afford to do both. So, my question for all you crosstrainers out there:
Would it be worth me doing a week on/week off arrangement with the KF and MT? Or 3 weeks KF, 1 week MT, for the sparring? If I didn't go fully into the MT would I find myself being beaten silly by the MT guys because of their conditioning? Is it mostly the conditioning that makes MT guys such badasses? Because if it is, then there'd be no need to crosstrain right? I could condition myself as part of my home training. But people do crosstrain MT and KF, so its gotta be more than that. is it the full contact experience? What's to stop a KF man being conditioned to fu(k and using his knees and elbows in a fight? Nothing - so why cross train in Muay Thai? I would genuinely like to know, if its convincing then I'll give it a try. i may be showing my ignorance here but San Shou is like Muay Thai right? And if San Shou is using Kung Fu moves with a more ring based training/competing style, then surely you could get the gains one would get from crosstraining in MT from hard conditioning and sparring? thanks for your time. :confused:

ElPietro
10-16-2001, 09:36 PM
I'm not very knowledgeable in muay thai but as far as movements are concerned I don't think there would be a big difference. However, in philosophy from what I've learned there are vast differences. Muay thai is very linear using blocks to damage your opponent versus using his momentum against him. Also, there are fewer movements so it is easier I believe to learn all of muay thai but the training is based more on conditioning and contact. It is difficult to come anywhere near full contact sparring in kung fu.

I think crosstraining is a good idea but perhaps becoming as advanced as you wish to be in one art before moving on to another would be my suggestion.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-16-2001, 10:46 PM
"I could condition myself as part of my home training"

you have never been coached before have you. i thought that way until last summer when our sifu decided we all could use a couple months of conditioning to toughen us up. there is no way i would push myself to that level on my own. even if you kept up on all the same exercises it's not going to be the same as having some bada$$ screaming "MOVE IT PU$" every time you stop for a second to catch your breath. maybe you could keep up that intensity on your own but i know that i can't.

i would recommend it if you have the time. we often times work on mt strikes when we do pad work at our class. they really have developed extremely powerful weapons that are a great to add to your kf.

don't you spar at your class though?

where's my beer?

SanSoo Student
10-17-2001, 06:26 AM
I reccomend that you at least try it, the shin kicks and elbows can prove to be lethal weapons in any art.

SevenStar
10-17-2001, 08:35 AM
GDA is right about the conditioning thing, and MT fighters have superior conditioning. there awe way fewer techniques in MT, so more time is spent honing them than learning new ones. The strikes aren't quite the same either, from what I've seen in kung fu so far. The elbows are thrown differently and there is no plum technique in kung fu (at least in my style) from where you launch multiple knee strikes. You can easily throw multiple knees, but and experienced plummer can make you vomit with that technique. the roundhouse kick is different also.

"What's to stop a KF man being conditioned to fu(k and using his knees and elbows in a fight? Nothing - so why cross train in Muay Thai?"

It ultimately wouldn't matter. even if a CMA did use knees and elbows, they have different mechanics and a different methodology to their fighting. That's like me saying "I take TKD and I can do a tornado kick. butterfly kick and all of the other northen shaolin kicks, and I know how to punch and know some joint locks, so what could CMA possibly offer me?

The final choice is up to you. Even if you don't crosstrain though, I'd try to make friends with them and spar on occasion, so that you can get experience fighting against a style other than kung fu.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

scotty1
10-17-2001, 10:20 AM
Thanks again people, interesting thoughts.

straight blast
10-17-2001, 01:15 PM
I would really recommend cross training Muay Thai. I've done it for 2 years, and it hardened me up like nothing on earth. The conditioning is excellent. Just ask youself: If you threw a rounkick at the same time your opponent did & both of you banged your shins together, could you just look at him and laugh as he fell to the ground? If the answer is no, then get into Muay Thai. It'll sharpen up your reflexes, & it will definately make you a better/stronger fighter.
Plus you'll be heaps harder than anybody you train with. I cannot stress enough what a good thing MT has been for me. Get into it! Lots! Do yourself a favour!!! Your Kung Fu will improve too. You'll become more attractive to the opposite sex! You'll get paid more at work! Women will want you & men will want to be you. Well, all except the last three things. I'm afraid I can't back those up.
MT rocks :cool:

"Through strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail"