PDA

View Full Version : Power Basics

Yoshiyahu
10-26-2012, 01:30 PM
What are some exercises to increase your wing chun engine power...

ie what leg work, arm strengthing, body conditioning and cardio can you incoporate into your wing chun to increase your punching power over time?

Bacon
10-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Basic Olympic lifts for strength training, HIIT for cardio, bag work, and the mook yan Jong form to make sure structures are good.

wtxs
10-26-2012, 02:07 PM

ie what leg work, arm strengthing, body conditioning and cardio can you incoporate into your wing chun to increase your punching power over time?

... yoga ball ... and sniff high octane gas to feed your WC engine. :rolleyes:

Yoshiyahu
10-27-2012, 03:38 PM
... yoga ball ... and sniff high octane gas to feed your WC engine. :rolleyes:

I would atleast thought kettle bells, squats push ups and sit ups and other core exercises...i guess you dont do any of that....never used a yoga ball...i think a bowling ball would be more beneficial!

Lee Chiang Po
10-27-2012, 06:37 PM
You need not go to any extremes for this. Simple exercises work well to keep you limber and fit, and you can do exercises that pertain mostly to the pushing muscles to give greater punching strength. I use a Total Gym and it is more than enough. Good enough for Chuck Norris, good enough for me. You can focus to greatly upon strength. Not saying strength is not a good thing, but you can focus too much on it. More important is the ability to maintain structure and apply your weapons with skill and precission. Do your forms slowly and your exercises slowly. You get more out of it.

imperialtaichi
10-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Depends on what you want the power for. Your WC system should have given you all you need.

trubblman
10-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Strengthen your stance...

Robinhood
10-28-2012, 03:01 PM

Which engine are you wanting to develop?, external or internal ?, external is developed by resistence exercises, internal is developed opposite.

imperialtaichi
10-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Strengthen your stance...

Yep. Know your YJKYM. There's a lot more to it than meet the eyes.

EternalSpring
10-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Power basics for putting power into the punch? I've always liked the good ol two person drill of chong choi vs chong choi. Distance yourself from you partner so that your fingertips with your arms pointing straight out can barely touch his chest. Get in YJKYM facing each other square. Start Chong choi'ing. Every punch has resistance from another Chong choi so you have to at least punch w/ intent and also fight for the center. At the same time, as more power goes into the punches, you have to maintain your stance, which will hopefully force you to sink deeper. It's a drill that can literally be trained from the first day on, but I still think that it's benefits are great. Plus it conditions your arms pretty nicely as well and I'm sure there are countless variations to the drills (ex: doing it w/ walking, and even that has variations)

wingchunIan
10-29-2012, 05:46 AM
practice SNT and use a wall bag
The people I know who hit hardest have relatively small arms but can relax and explode focusing their strike to the jic seen. Punching power ultimately comes from speed and penetration.

imperialtaichi
10-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Practice breathing, in the YJKYM.

Breathe in and fill your dantian. Breathe out, do the "Kim Yeung" and fill your fist with your breath. Do it regularly and your fists become as heavy as hammers.

When you fight, no need to think or breathe etc. Your fists are natually heavy. As long as you stay relaxed when you hit, your opponent would feel like he just got hit by a couple of hammers.

Yoshiyahu
11-07-2012, 10:06 AM
How long do you practice that exercise?

Practice breathing, in the YJKYM.

Breathe in and fill your dantian. Breathe out, do the "Kim Yeung" and fill your fist with your breath. Do it regularly and your fists become as heavy as hammers.

When you fight, no need to think or breathe etc. Your fists are natually heavy. As long as you stay relaxed when you hit, your opponent would feel like he just got hit by a couple of hammers.

imperialtaichi
11-07-2012, 06:30 PM
How long do you practice that exercise?

No more than 3 breaths at a time.

Yoshiyahu
11-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Video 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAwfIMYSKrY)

Video 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6cX32y38_w)

hulkout
11-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Practice stepping and footwork drills as often as possible. When you do it, practice stomach breathing. What I like to do is go for a walk or run. Then when I decide to turn around and go back home. I practice my footwork drills all the way back. I'll take breaks when I have to. Without good stance, footwork, coordination between upper and lower body, and proper breathing, you'll never have any decent power in Wing Chun. In addition to that, practice the deadlift exercise. You'll strengthen every muscle in your body as well as your endurance. Do reps between 15 and 20 and take several deep breaths between reps towards the end of your set when you get tired.

mun hung
12-02-2012, 06:25 PM

That was great. I wonder if he does anything for legs.

Yoshiyahu
12-04-2012, 04:21 PM
That was great. I wonder if he does anything for legs.

You know i dont know!

i am guessing they do basic squats...an some other exercises similiar to that with weights like dead lifts!

mun hung
12-04-2012, 10:38 PM
I watched some "entertainers" on the boardwalk this past summer doing an incredible amount of pull ups (full stretch and then up to the sternum). One guy was whipping out about 40-50 in a clip. Sad part was that these guy looked like they never worked on their legs. I think it was one of the reasons why they were able to do so many pull ups.

Not to criticize your clip in any way, because it takes incredible upper body, core and balance to do what this guy was doing.

It was just a thought.

wingchunIan
12-05-2012, 02:38 AM

Absolutely awesome upper body strength, I used to do hand stand push ups and they're a killer, never mind some of the other stuff and the slow mo hand stand stuff. Amazing balance as well.
All that said I'd still bet that his 1" punch / short range penetrating power is pants (although I'm sure he hits much harder than your average bloke off the street).

Yoshiyahu
12-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Absolutely awesome upper body strength, I used to do hand stand push ups and they're a killer, never mind some of the other stuff and the slow mo hand stand stuff. Amazing balance as well.
All that said I'd still bet that his 1" punch / short range penetrating power is pants (although I'm sure he hits much harder than your average bloke off the street).

I would say that sorta training is definite beneficial for WC training...