PDA

View Full Version : Punching Bags

zen_celt
10-17-2001, 06:33 AM
Do you guys know where I can get a good Muay Thai(6') punching bag that weighs 150lbs. or more? The only ones I can find weigh 100lbs and are available from Title boxing.
-ZC

"The thorn *****s only those who would harm the rose."

IronFist
10-17-2001, 07:22 AM
Amber Leather goods wholesalers sell a 6ft leather Thai bag for $150 or something. Mine weighed 110lbs before I sold it, but you can put in more or less depending on what you want. Just dump sand in the bottom and then stuff the rest with old clothes, but let me tell you, it takes a LOT of old clothes and sheets and stuff.

The only problem is theres a seam halfway that can cut your leg if you kick it at the wrong angle. Maybe they've fixed this it since then, though.

Iron

SevenStar
10-17-2001, 08:27 AM
a guy a trained with got a fat gash in his leg from kicking that seam.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Jaguar Wong
10-17-2001, 05:30 PM
Fairtex Muay Thai (http://www.fairtex.com) has the "banana bag" that you're looking for. It's $139 unfilled, but I think you can also order it filled for something like $250+. You might want to head over to that site to check it out. Or do a search for Muay Thai equipment, or "banana bag".

Jaguar Wong

PHILBERT
10-17-2001, 07:22 PM
If you are going to get an empty bag and fill it with sand, Toys "R" Us sells 50 lb bags of sand for only like $3.99 (plus tax). It might have changed since I work there. That is if you need sand.

PHILBERT

Abstract
10-17-2001, 10:40 PM
http://www.carbonecho.com/images/store/tgear_gt_bbg_4.jpg

okay i tried posting this on the Wing Chun forum but no answers...SO!--does ANYONE use one of these? which is more effective to you? the Century Wavemaster or the ones pictured here? I CANT use a hanging bag where I live, so it's gotta be one of these...opinions, anyone? PLEASE? :confused: :confused:

btw--i practice WC, so any practicioners reply as to their use on it would be most appreciated... ;)

-------------------------
In mildness is the strength of steel

IronFist
10-18-2001, 06:30 AM
Dude, do NOT fill a heavy bag completely with sand. I tried that with my banana bag and ended up getting 540lbs of sand in it and it was only halfway full. Obviously I couldn't kick it. It was like kicking a cement column. Uh, so I ended up leaving only 110lbs of sand in it and fililng the rest with cut up old t-shirts and blankets.

Sevenstar, I got a gash like that once, too. It's retarded.

Iron

Eight Diagram Boxer
10-18-2001, 03:26 PM
I'm also looking for a free standing bag right now, and century was the only one I thought made that type. Those ones looks better though, where can you get them?

Abstract
10-18-2001, 03:31 PM
wutup man--I saw them at carbonecho.com it's a pretty phat site. I've seen these kinda bags online, but never in person. Wasn't sure if they'd bounce all over the place if I really let into it. I don't wanna have to pick that heavy a$$ thing up everytime I knock it down. I do that sometimes with those Century ones, and I get more of a workout for my lower back! :p !! So i dunno. If you get one, lemme know your opinion on it.

dwid
10-18-2001, 07:26 PM
"The foam filled Bounce Bag eliminates the need for hanging the bag from the ceiling. The specially weighted base always bounces back."

I have a wavemaster myself that I filled with 250 pounds of sand. As far as density, the problem is the same with all free-standing bags, in that the part of it you hit has no sand in it. I can say that it's virtually impossible to knock down a wavemaster, as all 250 pounds are located in the base (very low center of gravity). It does move across the floor some, though, and sometimes the bag part gets stuck in a bent over position. For conditioning, I have duct-taped a phone-book to my wave-master, and it works pretty well. The wavemaster is also much, much cheaper than the bags at carbonecho, I paid about 75 bucks for mine, and another 10-15 for the sand (buy sandbox sand from home depot or someplace like that, It's like $2 for 50 pounds)

dlew308
10-21-2001, 06:48 AM
Since no one replied, I went to the local Big5 to check out what they had. They had the tae bo one
on sale, so I bought it after looking at it.
The low base is great for me as well as my wife to practice the low kicks of WCK. It holds 150lbs of water so it does move some. It's made by Century so I figure the padding can be replace with a wavemaster one later? Not bad for $80 :)

Abstract
10-21-2001, 03:41 PM
WHERE is someplace online that I can buy a wavemaster for less than the price of a new car??? Every M.A. site I go to has the powerline wavemaster for $170, give or take...I don't really want one of the rinky-dink bags...are there RELIABLE discount MA sites that sell these for a c-note? arrrrgh!! dont wanna waste my money! :(

dlew308
10-21-2001, 05:00 PM
How about ebay?

Eight Diagram Boxer
10-21-2001, 08:37 PM
Yeah, that is a phat site. I checked out the bag, but 350 is steep. At the Sports Authority website you can get the wavemaster for $99.

Abstract
10-21-2001, 09:59 PM
BINGO! $99!! the magic price! yea! :D

dlew308
10-21-2001, 10:49 PM
Which model did you want? There's the original wavemaster and the powerline wavemaster, which is as I read, has 50% more padding then the original.

Abstract
10-22-2001, 05:07 AM
i really wanted the Powerline Wavemaster, for the reason you mentioned, it's bigger, but if I can cop the other one for $100 or so, that's ok. I just want something that I won't have to keep picking up all the time. My school has the Powerline models, and i really like them, but once in a while, a really good hit/kick and *plop*....but i guess that's the trade off for any standing bag you buy...if my landlord would let me drill holes in the ceiling for a hanging bag, it would be no question as to what i buy, but ah well...

dlew308
10-22-2001, 05:20 AM
I saw the powerline one going for 140 range on ebay. Someone was selling the original for $99 shipped on there. Think of knocking it over like uprooting a person :)

Eight Diagram Boxer
10-22-2001, 07:12 PM
at karatedepot.com (I think that's the site) you can get it for $109 with FREE shipping!