PDA

View Full Version : Dart Choi Spinning Back Fist

Sambo
11-04-2012, 06:00 AM
One of my favorite techniques in clf! I just started training again at home going over some of the basic punches, the dart takes some getting used to but can be very effective in a fight as i've seen.

when do you guys teach it, beginner/intermediate, how long before it's taught?

is it part of many forms? i know it's in the sa bow jong set?

any other chinese styles have this?

i think i read once that it was created to defeat short hand styles? anyone know the history of the dart?

& how do you train it, combos? any tips for training it?

anyone here used it or seen it used effectively?

discuss?

jdhowland
11-04-2012, 09:13 AM
The da cheui is synonymous with bin cheui or flailing strike. It is used in a lot of styles.

A good use in CLF is striking ribs or solar plexus in a takedown move. I like to train this combo:

Your partner steps in with a left lead and attacks. Deal with the attack anyway you can while stepping outside and behind his lead foot with your right. If you arrive while he is still stepping it becomes a foot sweep. If he has already settled, you use your leg to trap him in place while the da cheui knocks him backward. You can simultaneously drag his foot forward (your crossover stance) to unbalance him with the strike.

Da cheui is a fan sau technique, meaning that it moves away from your center, so the fist first has to be brought down or across your chest. This preparatory move is also a strike. I practice by keeping it very close to the body, grazing my ribs all the way, but in use it can be a kidney strike with the knuckles scraping the opponent's ribs (further unbalancing) befort the da cheui flails out.

hskwarrior
11-04-2012, 09:19 AM
but in use it can be a kidney strike with the knuckles scraping the opponent's ribs (further unbalancing) befort the da cheui flails out.

this is my choice. but the fist scraping the kidneys first is a wang kup choy i believe.

jdhowland
11-04-2012, 09:30 AM
anyone here used it or seen it used effectively?

Back in '75 I saw someone get tko'ed by a spinning backfist to the left temple. He fell to his knees and the fight had to be stopped.

Lama style has a version of this in which you cross step to the outside (small door entry) with a flail to clear his attack and disrupt his intent, then unwind with a big spinning backfist with the other hand to connect.

As far as I know, when used to clear an opponent's hand this is only good as an outside attack. Aim for an inch or two above his elbow to prevent upper torso rotation if you are going to spin on him--always a risky tactic but sometimes effective. If you aren't stepping away you can clear his hands/forearms distal to the elbow and follow with chaap cheui in the same move.

hskwarrior
11-04-2012, 09:45 AM
my video on spinning backfists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPVFbX704LA

jdhowland
11-04-2012, 09:50 AM
this is my choice. but the fist scraping the kidneys first is a wang kup choy i believe.

Yeah, you have to decide in the moment whether the inward strike is going to be focused or just opportunistic to get to the da cheui. I usually try to go for the takedown and don't want to lose momentum for the da cheui so I usually train to scrape (filing fist). But if his body angle is just right you could conceivably get in a solid hook or kap to the kidney.

hskwarrior
11-04-2012, 10:00 AM
yup yup...............

Sambo
11-05-2012, 06:53 AM
good stuff guys!

that video is cool, looks like it works well in mma.

yeh when this connects it's usually game over, i've seen it used on the street. It can come out of nowhere with a lot of speed & power.

Lama seems to be a very similar style, i wonder if they have the same root or a connected somehow.

what is the double dart choi called, seurng dat choi? when you corkscrew you're stance with the first dart & then unload like a spring with the second.

i thought this method would be pretty unique to clf the way it's used?

the thai's seem to love the spinning elbow, i love this one as well.

Sambo
11-06-2012, 02:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T8LU9CcVAo&feature=related clf dart choi tko!

that video posted earlier with that guy smacking himself after the dart was funny man.

TopCrusader
11-13-2012, 07:46 PM
I thought "Been Choy" was the spinning backfist?

CLFNole
11-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Been choy/daat choy - same thing