PDA

View Full Version : Avoid Bridge

YouKnowWho
11-05-2012, 07:23 PM
When you punch and your opponent blocks, you will have 2 choices:

- Grab your opponent's blocking arm and take advantage on it.
- Pull your punch back to let your opponent to miss his block, you then punch again after his blocking arm is out of your striking path.

There are PRO and CON on thiese 2 approaches. If you take the

- 1st approcah, you have built an arm bridge. Both you and your opponent can apply Tinjin on it and sense the other guy's intention.
- 2nd approach, you have just made your opponent to miss his block. Your punch is like a ghost shadow that he can't even touch it. It will create a tremendous of mental defeat and scary feeling on your opponent since he will have no idea what you are going to do to him next.

What's your thought?

bawang
11-05-2012, 07:26 PM
northern kung fu has no bridging.

YouKnowWho
11-05-2012, 07:35 PM
northern kung fu has no bridging.

How about:

- Taiji "fetching arms",
- Xingyi "Pao Chuan",
- Bagua "single switching palm",
- Longfist "采打(Cai Da) - grab and punch".
- mantis "Gou Lou Cai Shou",
- SC "mantis arms",

You can clearly see "bridge" is used at 0.43, 1.25, ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M7M7rLxcYg

-N-
11-05-2012, 07:37 PM

- Pull your punch back to let your opponent to miss his block, you then punch again after his blocking arm is out of your striking path.

- 1st approcah, you have built an arm bridge. Both you and your opponent can apply Tinjin on it and sense the other guy's intention.
- 2nd approach, you have just made your opponent to miss his block. Your punch is like a ghost shadow that he can't even touch it. It will create a tremendous of mental defeat and scary feeling on your opponent since he will have no idea what you are going to do to him next.

What's your thought?

Option 3.

Leak through so he has nothing to block and continue forward attack without pulling back.

YouKnowWho
11-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Option 3.

Leak through so he has nothing to block and continue forward attack without pulling back.

Agree! Like to change a back fist into a hook punch.

bawang
11-05-2012, 07:42 PM
How about:

- Taiji "fetching arms",
- Xingyi "Pao Chuan",
- Bagua "single switching palm",
- Longfist "采打(Cai Da) - grab and punch".
- mantis "Gou Lou Cai Shou",
- SC "mantis arms",

You can clearly see "bridge" is used at 0.43, 1.25, ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M7M7rLxcYg

they are out of touch with reality, out of touch with their own martial art.

you know longfist also, so name basic beginner defence from longfist. if there is bridging you can disown me as your adopted son.

YouKnowWho
11-05-2012, 07:47 PM
they are out of touch with reality, out of touch with their own martial art.

you know longfist also, so name basic beginner defence from longfist. if there is bridging you can disown me as your adopted son.

The nothern Chinese style doesn't use the term "bridge" at all. If all your TCMA skill depend on your "bridge" such as Taiji push hand, WC sticky hand, ... When you find out that you can't make a bridge in combat, you will have very scary feeling as if your girlfriend refuses to hold hand with you when you two walk.

bawang
11-05-2012, 07:49 PM
The nothern Chinese style doesn't use the term "bridge" at all. If all your TCMA skill depend on your "bridge" such as Taiji push hand, WC sticky hand, ... When you find out that you can't make a bridge in combat, you will have very scary feeling.

i dont understand, baba. are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

YouKnowWho
11-05-2012, 07:54 PM
i dont understand, baba. are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

I agree with you that the nothern style doesn't use the term "bridge". I disagree with you that even if the term is not used, the principle is still commonly applied.

http://imageshack.us/a/img541/718/gripfight.jpg

You may be surprise that why suddently I'm in favor of "avoid bridge" since I was in favor of "build bridge" all the time. I like both strategies. We just haven't talked much on "avoid bridge" yet.

bawang
11-05-2012, 07:56 PM
I agree with you that the nothern style doesn't use the term "bridge". I disagree with you that even if the term is not used, the principle is still commonly applied.

ok, baba. can u name some basic beginner longfist defence? lets look for some bridges. no poosyfooting around, pls.

are you getting senile, baba? this is clinch.

YouKnowWho
11-05-2012, 08:18 PM
ok, baba. can u name some basic beginner longfist defence? lets look for some bridges. no poosyfooting around, pls.

are you getting senile, baba? this is clinch.

This is Tantui #4. At 0.5, the move is similiar to Bagua single switching palm. At the end at 0.30, the move is similiar to praying mantis Gou Lou Cai Shou.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d1N-HcC5vc

The bridge is used to achieve "clinch".

bawang
11-05-2012, 08:25 PM
in longfist the common defences are

face protecting fist, ear protecting fist, heart protecting fist, roll forearm, slap parry, hook parry, smash forearm, move sideways, ground dragon, shrinking body, lean back (gazing moon).

there is no bridging

MysteriousPower
11-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Punching is better than bridging. It is faster, more economical, causes more damage, and makes more sense than trying to touch the other person's arm.

Syn7
11-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Bridging is pretty handy when grappling on the feet.

Subitai
11-05-2012, 10:30 PM

What's your thought?

Is this really a serious question?????

To answer your #2...
There is nothing scary about missing a block. Nobody is perfect, blocks miss sometimes...no problem, you still have body movement, head movement... footwork.. to make him miss.

Then you just set up and try again. What, do you think fighting is standing still and no body movement at all?

If you can't bridge because he's too good at denying it... you have other options:

- Mabe you take the attack to him and stop being in counter mode.
- Mabe you take him off his feet and avoid all that.
- Mabe you make him chase you and when he get's tired, he's not so good anymore.
Too many...

Or mabe, you just can't beat him cause he's just that much better than you. It happens, nothing you can do about it.

Syn7
11-05-2012, 10:35 PM
There is nothing scary about missing a block.

Well, that depends on what's in his hand.

Subitai
11-05-2012, 11:06 PM

Ok come on dude...

I was assuming just hands cause he didn't mention anything about weapons. I think it's pretty obvious that's what the O.P. implied.

(empty hands wise)
I miss blocks, every one does. It doesn't mean I p!ss my pants. The fight goes on.

Think about what he's saying: #2 option is basically
1) he throws a fient and pulls back
2) you try to block but miss it

So then what? He attacks again...so you still have an equil chance to respond. You can just keep trying till you set it up. Unless your totally out of position. But that brings up every thing I said in my first post about body movement.

Also, if your opponent is THAT much Faster and Stronger than you that you cannot make adjustments..then you're probably going to loose no matter what you do.

hskwarrior
11-05-2012, 11:24 PM

number 2 here is a typical tactic in Choy Lee Fut. we train for when we miss, we train for when we don't miss. we also train to make you think we miss. so, in our style we aren't afraid of missing because like subitai said, i can do other things.

Neeros
11-08-2012, 01:05 AM

Or where the hand is aiming. :eek: