PDA

View Full Version : Franklin vs. Le: UFC in Macao

GeneChing
09-10-2012, 05:56 PM
With Cung (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=769) and Zhang (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=965).

UFC in China: The Start of an Incredible Journey (http://english.cri.cn/8046/2012/09/07/2561s721215.htm)
2012-09-07 13:49:00 CRIENGLISH.com Web Editor: Liuyuanhui
As the promotion trail for the Ultimate Fighting Championship's first event in China starts to heat up, a press conference was held in Hong Kong on September 6.

http://english.cri.cn/mmsource/images/2012/09/07/84e45ee585514f1f90e59f5316797aca.jpg
Mark Fischer, managing director of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) in Asia, speaks at a press conference, held on September 6, in Hong Kong to promote the upcoming UFC event to be held in Macao, at the Cotai Arena, in November. [Photo: CRIENGLISH.com/Xu Weiyi]

By Stuart Wiggin

The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), the world's premier mixed martial arts (MMA) organization, is getting ready to stage its first event on Chinese soil in Macao, at the Cotai Arena, on November 11, 2012. On September 6, the UFC held a press conference atthe newly launched Epic MMA Club in Hong Kong to promote the event and present Chinese journalists with an introduction to the sport and to some of the stars who will be going into battle on fight night. Despite the fact that the card only features one Chinese fighter, Zhang Tiequan, the event still represents a landmark for the North American fight promotion, which has been trying to break into the Chinese market for a considerable period of time.

The event will feature a 10 bout fight card featuring 10 fighters from the Asia Pacific region. The event is set to be headlined by "two iconic former world champions" in the form of America's Rich Franklin and Vietnamese born fighter Cung Le. It is hoped that Cung Le's acting experience in China, featuring alongside the likes of Donnie Yen and working under the guidance of Wong Karwai, will create wider interest in the first Chinese card in the company's history.

Mark Fischer, managing director of the UFC in Asia, led the press conference and stressed the importance of the upcoming event for the growth of the UFC brand in Asia. "This is the start of what we believe will be an incredible journey in China. It has taken us a long time to get here. In some ways, we've always believed that the UFC has always belonged in China. We believe China to be one of the spiritual birthplaces of martial arts and we're proud to finally bring the UFC's world famous octagon to Da Zhonghua."

There has been a lot of speculation regarding the difficulty of holding events similar to those that the UFC holds on the mainland. China Radio International asked Fischer why Macao was chosen for the location of the first event on Chinese soil, and how long he expected it to be until a UFC event would take place on the mainland? "Macao is a perfect choice for our first event for a couple of reasons," Fischer noted. "One, we have a wonderful venue in the Cotai Arena. It's a world class arena; it meets all of our needs in terms of a place to co---it has great access to people all over the region." On the issue of holding an event on the mainland, Fischer was adamant, "We are coming to China mainland. We're currently studying all the options. We're in the middle of promoting the sport on many different channels and internet networks across China. We're currently on 10 provincial channels with both live and taped shows. We want to build the awareness up in China to a critical mass and then come in with a very big show when we're ready." Fischer added that the Macao event will be broadcast live globally in 20 different languages and reach more than a billion homes round the world.

The Macao event is not only a landmark for the UFC organization, but also for the Hong Kong/Macao area. Fischer added, "This is one of the single biggest sporting events ever to hit the Hong Kong/Macao area, and arguably the biggest in terms of the global attention that the event will generate. In fact this is the first time for Zuffa LLC to stage a UFC event primetime in Asia, highlighting our growing commitment to this region." One of the Asian fighters on the card, South Korea's Dong Hyun Kim, recently spoke out regarding the negative aspects of having to travel to North America to fight. China Radio International asked Kim what the main differences will be for him and his fellow Asian fighters fighting on an event so close to home.

Kim replied, "One of the major problems of fighting in the U.S. is the time difference; the jetlag. Normally, I go to the US about 4 days before the bout. I always have a problem getting a good night's sleep before getting ready for the fight. Coming out here and having the opportunity to fight in Macao is a great opportunity; I'm very happy. I don't really have to worry about the time differences, so I should be able to be fully rested and prepare for the fight. I also think this will give a lot of opportunities for other fellow Asian fighters."

In the main event, former middleweight champion Cung Le will take on former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin in a fight which is sure to deliver fireworks. At an open workout session following the press conference, China Radio International asked Cung Le what a win over Franklin would mean for his career. "A win against Rich Franklin means that I will have beaten the toughest, most decorated, UFC mixed martial arts fighter of my career," said Le. "That would be something that I've worked all my life (for) and no matter who the opponent, I'm honored and I'm going to fight my heart out to get the win." Upon being asked whether he was feeling more pressure being marketed as the main attraction on the card due to his acting experience in China, Le replied, "There's always pressure, but fighting at home in front of the Asian people, Chinese people, Vietnamese people, Korean people, Japanese people, every single Asian around the world; there's always a lot of pressure. But that's what I live for; the pressure."

Perhaps the most interesting sound bite from the whole course of proceedings was related to the UFC's commitment towards nurturing fighter talent in China. After one reporter addressed the lack of Chinese fighters on the card, Fischer talked about the UFC's plan to help develop talent within the region. "We have a plan, called the China fighter development program. We had a trial of this earlier this year where we brought over a small group of Chinese fighters to Las Vegas, the fight capital of America, for a month. In addition, when we open up this program again, following the Macao fight, we're going to be bringing over coaches and trainers from the UFC to China to train a number of fighters in China. Basically, it's a long term development plan. There are some other very good Chinese fighters that are fighting in some smaller promotions. But we think it may take a little bit more training to get them into the UFC; there are some very good Sanda fighters in China but we need to develop the ground game. This is what the Chinese fighter development program is all about."

Tickets for UFC Macao go on sale to the general public from September 7.

http://english.cri.cn/mmsource/images/2012/09/07/4fca8e9d46bd4f3487b3c567ec0c789f.jpg
From left to right, Dong Hyun Kim, Rich Franklin, Cung Le and Zhang Tiequan pose for photos at a press conference, held on September 6, in Hong Kong to promote the upcoming Ultimate Fighting Championship event to be held in Macao, at the Cotai Arena, in November. [Photo: CRIENGLISH.com/Xu Weiyi]
There are a dozen photos if you follow the link. I only cut&pasted two of them.

GeneChing
11-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Check out the UFC Macao Fight Week photo album (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151286929966276.513937.46299886275&type=1) on the UFC facebook page.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/302801_10151286958771276_230916709_n.jpg

That's the Tiger Claw Clapkicker (http://www.martialartsmart.com/10-816n.html) Cung is using! :cool:

Kellen Bassette
11-10-2012, 10:05 AM
All right Cung!

Did anyone catch Alex Caceras using Louhan Dries Corpse (double high and low punch) in his bout? I've seen it pulled off in sparring but never in the UFC...very smooth...

Siu Lum Fighter
11-10-2012, 06:02 PM
I didn't catch that but Cung's simple but effective right hook to Franklin's face was deftly smooth! That was one of the cleanest knockouts I've ever seen.

Kellen Bassette
11-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Everything about Cung's style is smooth...wish he were 10 years younger, I still want to see a few more fights from him!

GeneChing
11-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Here's the vid on UFC's site (http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-on-FUEL-TV-6-Main-Event-Results), if you haven't seen it.

Results (http://www.mmaconvert.com/cards/ufc-on-fuel-6-fight-card-results-news-rumors-tickets/)

Middleweight (185lbs)
Cung Le defeats Rich Franklin via Knockout (Punch) at 2:17 in Round 1
Main Card
Light Heavyweight (205lbs)

Thiago Silva defeats Stanislav Nedkov via Submission (Arm-triangle Choke) at 1:45 in Round 3

Welterweight (170lbs)
Dong Hyun Kim defeats Paulo Thiago via Unanimous Decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)

Lightweight (155lbs)
Takanori Gomi defeats Mac Danzig via Split Decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)

Featherweight (145lbs)
Jon Tuck defeats Tiequan Zhang via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)

Featherweight (145lbs)
Takeya Mizugaki defeats Jeff Hougland via Unanimous Decision (30-25, 30-27, 30-27)

Facebook Preliminary Card (7:15am ET)
Bantamweight (135lbs)
Alex Caceres defeats Motonobu Tezuka via Split Decision (28-29, 30-27, 30-27)

Flyweight (125lbs)
John Lineker defeats Yasuhiro Uru****ani via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)

Light Heavyweight (205lbs)
Riki Fukuda defeats Tom DeBlass via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)

GeneChing
11-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Mixed martial arts-Zhang carrying Chinese hopes at UFC Macau (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/10/mixed-martial-arts-ufc-macau-idUSL3E8MA1K920121110)
Fri, Nov 9 2012
By Peter Rutherford
MACAU | Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:50pm EST

Nov 11 (Reuters) - Kickboxing champion Cung Le let his fists do the talking for once with a devastating one-punch knockout of Rich Franklin in the Ultimate Fighting Championship's first event in China early on Sunday.

Le's win in the main event at Macau's Venetian hotel takes him a step closer to a shot at the middleweight title but after an intense training camp and strict diet to make weight the 40-year-old knew exactly what the victory would bring.

"I know it's going to lead to some large pizzas," Le told a news conference after the fight.

Le, who was born in the former Saigon and left in a helicopter with his family days before the fall, is one of the few UFC fighters who rely on traditional Chinese martial arts and his biggest weapons have been his array of kicks.

"I've been working a lot on my hands because at one point my foot was messed up so I didn't get a chance to kick much during training. But my trainer Scott Sheeley worked my hands to death and I got the knockout with my hands, it's amazing," he said.

While the sport of mixed martial arts (MMA) is relatively new in China, the UFC's Asia chief, Mark Fischer, said the event was a sell-out of almost 8,500 and had been a success.

"It was an awesome experience, it surpassed our expectations so absolutely it was a success," Fischer said. "China is a long-term, big target market for us, it has tremendous potential. We know it's going to take time to develop, and that's where we're headed."

The Asian fighters on the card had a mixed evening, with China's Zhang Tiequan losing to Jon Tuck of Guam, but there was success for Japan's Takanori Gomi and South Korean Kim Dong-hyun, who dominated Paulo Thiago for three rounds.

Gomi took a split decision over American Mac Danzig while Kim, dubbed the 'Stun Gun', was a clear winner with his savage beating of Thiago, at one point sitting on top of him and raining double-fisted, clubbing blows down on the cowering Brazilian.

Kim said it had been much easier for him to fight in Asia rather than in the United States.

"The fan reaction, as well as not having to deal with the time difference and the travel and all that's involved with that, I felt really great," he said.

"Fighting in Asia as opposed to fighting in the United States is the difference between night and day."

(Editing by Stephen Wood) Only 8,500 seats. Small for UFC but big for Macao and huge for Cung.

GeneChing
11-15-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm sure they'd love to have UFC's advertising dollar.

UFC succeeds in Asian market (http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/2012-11/15/content_15931101.htm)
Updated: 2012-11-15 08:06
By Sun Xiaochen (China Daily)

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/attachement/jpg/site1/20121115/00221917e13e120e7dd829.jpg
Vietnam's Cung Le celebrates his victory over former middleweight champion Rich Franklin of the US in the main event of the nine-bout UFC Macao card at the Cotai Arena in the Venetian Macao-Resort-Hotel on Saturday. Le sent Franklin reeling with a first-round knockout punch to the head. "Just being in China in this Macao UFC event, it's a great honor for me," Le said. Provided to China Daily

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/attachement/jpg/site1/20121115/00221917e13e120e7e072a.jpg
UFC's first Chinese fighter, Zhang Tiequan, grapples with Guamanian opponent Jon Tuck during their bout at the UFC Macao in the Cotai Arena on Nov 10. Zhang lost to Tuck via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28). Provided to China Daily

UFC succeeds in Asian market

Local stars rise to the occasion in mixed martial arts extravaganza, Sun Xiaochen reports in Macao.

If Bruce Lee were still alive, he would have been proud to be sitting in the sold-out Cotai Arena at the Venetian Macao-Resort-Hotel on Saturday night.

Lee, one of the most influential martial artists of all time, would have witnessed a group of Asian fighters competing in the Ultimate Fighting Championships' Macao debut.

The card was designed to tap into the market in China, martial arts' widely-accepted birthplace.

Led by Vietnamese-American Cung Le and Chinese free-combat expert Zhang Tiequan, eight Asian fighters squared off against high-profile westerners with fans cheering alongside celebrities in a crowd of more than 8,400.

Bruised and bloodied, the Asian fighters were proud to compete on their home continent.

"I am a traditional fighter. Just being in China in this Macao UFC event, it's a great honor for me," Le said after knocking out former middleweight champion Rich Franklin with a right hook in the first round of the main event.

"Macao is just a few hundred miles away from Vietnam. I feel like I am fighting in my backyard. I told myself whatever it takes, I will fight here and the audience was so great."
http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/attachement/jpg/site1/20121115/00221917e13e120e7e292d.jpg
Compiling a 9-2 MMA record since moving from sanshou kickboxing in 2006, Le has become popular in Asia.

"My initial thought on (the Macao event) was that it was an awesome experience. It surpassed our expectations," said Mark Fischer, executive vice-president and managing director of UFC Asia.

"We're going to go back and figure out what's going to be the next step after so much happening this time. China is definitely a long-term target market for us with tremendous potential. We know it's going to take time for us to fully develop. That's where we started it."

The company plans to branch out into neighboring countries.

UFC will join Indonesia's No 1 media group, MNC, to reach 41 percent of the Indonesian TV market and will bring an event to Japan next March after putting on its first card there in 12 years last February.

"We can surpass expectations and reach a lot of people by bringing the best of our sport to the audience here," Fischer said.

Korean fighter Kim Dong-hyun also thrived close to home, relying on his grappling to defeat Brazilian Paulo Thiago.

A four-year veteran, Kim is familiar with the jet lag that comes from competing in the US.

"I would really love to continue fighting in Asia - I feel proud to be a representative for UFC in Asia," the 30-year-old said. "The crowd's reaction as well as not having to deal with the time difference, I felt really great. Fighting in Asia compared with the US is the difference between night and day to me as far as my physical and mental condition.

"Absolutely, I would love to have a fight like that in Japan, and I'm also expecting UFC to put on a fight in Korea."

Japanese wrestling expert Takanori Gomi, who defeated Mac Danzig of the US, said he would be happy to tackle any big name in Japan next year, but will remain patient as the sport grows in Asia.

Since launching its Asia program in 2010, UFC has signed one Chinese, three Korean and more than 10 Japanese fighters.

Kellen Bassette
11-15-2012, 04:05 PM
"I am a traditional fighter. Just being in China in this Macao UFC event, it's a great honor for me," Le said after knocking out former middleweight champion Rich Franklin with a right hook in the first round of the main event.

He can say it in his own words, but there will still be people who claim he doesn't use traditional arts. People like Cung and Lyota Machida can knock out fighter after fighter and represent their arts and you'll still have clowns saying they aren't traditional, or they had to "modify" their art to be effective.

It's not called modifying the art, it's called applying it. If you don't understand the difference between someone performing a form and applying the techniques in a form, you probably don't have a very deep understanding of any training methods.

GeneChing
11-21-2012, 10:17 AM
And China's take on all this? :rolleyes:

Hot martial art enters global contests (http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90782/8028458.html)
By Andrew Chin (Shanghai Daily)
13:17, November 21, 2012

The next big thing in Chinese martial arts may well be sanda, a combination of striking, kicking, throwing and seizing. Andrew Chin visits a class in Shanghai.

Over the past decade, there has been a revived interest in martial arts around the world. Previously unknown regional styles like Brazilian jiu-jitsu and muay Thai are now taught in Shanghai, after being showcased in international mixed martial arts events.

The most recent event was the MMA Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), which made its debut in China on November 10 in Macau.

Mixed martial arts, as its name suggests, involves various international styles of martial arts, including Chinese kung fu.

The UFC also aims to popularize the Chinese sanda (sanshou) fighting style, which combines four basic skills: striking, kicking, throwing and seizing. It's sometimes called kung fu kick boxing. It's both hand-to-hand self-defense and a combat sport.

In the Macau tournament, Vietnamese-American Cung Le, who knows sanda and other martial arts, won the headline match, knocking out former UFC middleweight champion, American Rich Franklin.

Shanghai residents can beat others to the punch by taking sanda lessons before it becomes the next big thing in MMA.

A major difference between sanda and MMA is that in sanda, when one fighter is on the ground, the referee breaks up the match and points are awarded. In MMA, the fight continues and the man on the ground fights back and can be struck. Thus, to succeed internationally in MMA, sanda fighters need to work on their ground game.

Sanda is the sports version of sanshou, a style of close combat fighting that was developed by the Chinese military during the 1920s at the Whampoa Military Academy in Guangdong Province after studying traditional wushu styles. A modern military version is taught by the People's Liberation Army.

In the 1960s, the Chinese government developed rules for sanda. In 1985, sanda competitions were part of the First International Wushu Championship in Xi'an, capital city of Shaanxi Province. The ninth edition of the event was held in October, drawing athletes from more than 60 countries and regions. Most Chinese fighters come from a sanda-training base.

For local American MMA trainer Silas Maynard, learning sanda was essential for his Fighters Unite Shanghai team to stay relevant and in competition.

"We got into sanda out of necessity," Maynard says. "We kept going to these fights and since the rules are different from muay Thai and kickboxing, it didn't go so well. So we started getting into sanda heavily about a year ago and are getting more involved in that scene."

Maynard leads sanda classes three times a week at his Fighters Unite Shanghai gym, also called Sai Rui Gym, on Fenglin Road in Xuhui District and he coaches students in bouts almost every week.

Cool sport

The team's youngest fighter, Hector Tournier from England, fought last year at the age of 15 and is now in his second year of sanda training.

"It's a very cool sport and really helped with my balance and flexibility," Tournier says. "I'm pretty active and it helps get rid of some of that energy."

The classes are not restricted to fighters and many students take classes to get in shape.

"It increases core strength, reduces fat and improves your cardiovascular system," Maynard explains.

His student Brice Romain lost 26 kilograms in six months of training and healthy eating.

"When you're training, everything is about respect and all the movements are so controlled," Romain says. "It makes you want to be smarter than your opponent and motivates you to have your body in good condition."

Women like Nadya Badmaeva, who came to Shanghai from Russia a month ago, is taking the class. She used to dance and do yoga, "and now I'm learning to fight, which I like so far."

"A lot of girls are afraid that they'll look like a man taking these classes but it just tones what you have," Maynard says. "It takes some of the fat areas away and it gives you a cut, fit body type."

Students can spar with each other during class, but it's not required. Student Richard Becker from France observes, "People have this view that fighting sports are really violent but unless you're actually competitively fighting, it's really not. It's a great way to build self-confidence, stamina and general health. It builds up something you can be interested in and do regularly."

Becker has been training in sanda for four years and won the under-18 sanda championship in France. "Kung fu is quite popular and all 'wushu' schools teach sanda there," he says.

Since landing in Shanghai, the 21-year-old has been transitioning from sanda to MMA. "The floor game is the biggest difference," he says. "Also, sanda fighters like grabs and swipes a big more, which is quite different from MMA, which is more stand-up fighting."

UFC managing director american Mark Fischer is aware the differences. "Sanda is an excellent martial art for striking but to be successful at MMA, sanda fighters need to develop grappling skills and other aspects of the MMA ground game."

UFC plans to roll out a development program for Chinese fighters in coming years designed in part to teach MMA ground game skills.

Since it helped internationalize muay Thai and Brazilian jiu-jitsu, UFC can do the same with sanda, Fischer says, especially if more Chinese sanda fighters enter UFC.

Cung Le's recent entry into the UFC has already helped build awareness of sanda in the West.

Tiequan Zhang from the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region is the only Chinese fighter currently on the UFC roster.

"If you can do sanda, then you can acclimatize yourself into MMA quickly," Zhang says. "I think more Chinese fighters will joining the UFC. If they are all sanda-based, people will find out how good they are."

Kellen Bassette
11-28-2012, 06:42 AM
http://gifsoup.com/view2/4277753/cung-le-o.gif

sanjuro_ronin
11-28-2012, 07:18 AM

AH lead hand hooks, they are the deadly !

Syn7
12-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Had franklin stuck to his boxing, he would have had a good chance of winning that fight. You just don't kick a high level kickboxer when you can't even hold your hands up and properly execute. Had franklins left hand been where it belonged, that wouldn't have been a knockout punch. Le was timid with his kicks because he knows franklin can knock him out. Big mistake IMO on franklins part. Either overestimated his own skills or underestimated les ability to counter off a cut.

Syn7
12-06-2012, 12:04 AM

UUgh, So sloppy on Franklins part. If I were him I would be embarrassed. I expected much more from him, and I bet he feels the same way. It's just so freakin obvious what he did wrong there. That was way more Franklin ****ing up than anything Le did. Not that it wasn't a well timed well placed punch, just that he shouldn't have even had such a wide berth to work with in the first place. Somebody of both of their experience should know the very basics of keeping your hands up. Sure, we see guys do what Franklin did all the time. But they just aren't getting away with it like they used to now that the strikers are catching up to the grappplers again.

Kellen Bassette
12-06-2012, 05:42 PM
UUgh, So sloppy on Franklins part. If I were him I would be embarrassed. I expected much more from him, and I bet he feels the same way. It's just so freakin obvious what he did wrong there. That was way more Franklin ****ing up than anything Le did. Not that it wasn't a well timed well placed punch, just that he shouldn't have even had such a wide berth to work with in the first place. Somebody of both of their experience should know the very basics of keeping your hands up. Sure, we see guys do what Franklin did all the time. But they just aren't getting away with it like they used to now that the strikers are catching up to the grappplers again.

It's a different animal with more and more technical strikers...and the fact that they've all boned up on their take down/grappling defense...very different world fighting a technical striker then a brawler..(although they can both be dangerous,) I really prefer to see the technical stuff myself.

Syn7
12-06-2012, 11:59 PM
It's a different animal with more and more technical strikers...and the fact that they've all boned up on their take down/grappling defense...very different world fighting a technical striker then a brawler..(although they can both be dangerous,) I really prefer to see the technical stuff myself.

Word....!!!

GeneChing
12-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Even I wouldn't go so far to claim Cung as Shaolin... :rolleyes:

Monday, December 17, 2012
UFC Fighter Cung Le’s Knockout Victory Over Rich Franklin Surprises Everyone But His Kung Fu Family (http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/11/prweb10146341.htm)

The audience at UFC’s first ever, main event in China, saw Middleweight Asian Sanshou Fighter Cung Le delivered an overhand devastating right hook to returning middle weight champion, Rich Franklin. UFC fans worldwide, including China’s new and enthusiastic UFC fan base, were surprised by the upset, but not for Le’s Shaolin Kung Fu family.

Atlanta, GA (PRWEB) November 18, 2012

To celebrate the Shaolin & Sanshou in the US, Shaolin Institute will host a US Open Challenge (inter school amateur friendly fighting smoker party) on December 8th at Give West High School in Norcross GA. For friendship Kung Fu & Sanshou competition & party, all martial artists, fans and public are invited. 770-286-9808; http://www.shaolin-world.net

The audience at UFC’s first ever, main event in China, saw Middleweight Asian Sanshou Fighter Cung Le delivered an overhand devastating right hook to returning middle weight champion, Rich Franklin, resulting in a knockout win at the 2:17 mark in UFC158.

With a record of (9-2), and nursing a severely injured foot suffered during his August win against Patrick Cote (UFC148), Le was considered the “underdog” against Franklin (29-7). In spite of the odds, Cung Le achieved what some are calling,” the greatest win of his career”. UFC fans worldwide, including China’s new and enthusiastic UFC fan base, were surprised by the upset, but not for Le’s Shaolin family.

Cung Le’s first Sanshou coach and mentor, Grand Master Shawn Liu (Shi Deru), founder and President of LIU International Shaolin Institute in the southeastern U.S., knew that his student would rise to the challenge, as Le always had before, especially when Cung Le started going back to his Chinese Sanshou root, training with his old Kung Fu Sanshou team family member Scott Sheeley. Master Liu explained that while most fighters training focuses on bodybuilding and attack and defense techniques, Shaolin trained athletes receive a broad range of martial arts training focused on producing total “mind-body wellness” besides specific combat simulation dills, strategic combat awareness.

In traditional Kung Fu, Tai-Chi develops not only mind-fullness, mind-body consciousness, balance, flexibility, and self-control but strategic combat and self-defense skills. Meditation frees the mind and facilitates tremendous focus and Qi flow. Shaolin Kung Fu techniques combined with rigorous Sanshou training produces athletes with superior body mind awareness, extra senses, strength, speed, skills and agility, like Sanshou champion Cung Le. According to Master Liu, one should never underestimate the ability or tenacity of a Shaolin trained athlete.

Their intricate training fully equips them to rise to meet any challenge, regardless of circumstances. Cung Le is a superior Sanshou athlete who has and will continue to make his Shaolin family proud.