PDA

View Full Version : Lifting Weights?

Sambo
11-12-2012, 05:45 AM
anyone here into lifting weights? what are you're opinions on weights & martial arts?

I've heard that it's not so good as it can tighten you up & make you stiff? I have felt this at times but i think it can have a lot of positives too.

I used to lift when i was younger but was never too serious about it. This year i got back into it, a lot more serious/disciplined with my nutrition & training program. I've had some good results after about 8 months of eating healthier & only 4 months of lifting. A few weeks ago i started training some clf basics everyday for some extra cardio & got motivated to start training again soon. The clf has been killing my legs, shoulders, upper back & traps though, been hard to recover hopefully my body will adapt soon.

Can see even more results from the extra clf training & also from the twisting of the waist working the core.

they should make a clf training dvd infomercial for the fatties:D. seriously though out of the few MA i've tried clf is a killer workout! all the long arms, twisting of the waist & marching stances.

any KF guys you know that were serious with the weights?

the Hung gar Chiu family seemed to be into it. Bruce wasn't really big but was ripped as...

Is there certain styles that would be more suited for a built guy? eg. would the shorter hand styles like bak mei be better?

btw i'm not talking a juice head build, although shawn ray had one of the best bodies imo. I'm 5'9", so would like to be about 85-90kg/190-200lb at around 10% body fat.

sanjuro_ronin
11-12-2012, 06:42 AM
Weighting training and MA have gone together since the down of times.
Being strong is always important in ANY MA and in everyday life.
The issue is that far too many people with incomplete knowledge associate weight training with body building.
That is incorrect.
Strength training is about getting stronger not always or even necessarily bigger ( though for some that may be a good thing).
Progressive resistance training ( progressively increasing the weight you lift in this case) is the fastest and most effective way to build strength.
There are Many different methods to do so, some that build mass and some that don't.

PM
11-12-2012, 07:13 AM
Yes, i lift kettlebells and barbells. One of the best things you can do for your explosive power. Stone locks, barbells and various bodyweight exercises were always integral part of TCMA training. Lift heavy, limit the reps to 2-3, lift explosively, and your sparring partners will fear you kicks and strikes in no time - guaranteed!

http://www.hungkyun.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/lin_gung.jpg

http://www.kb5.cz/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/kettlebell-bent-press-04.jpg

Powerlifting and weightlifting is cool, bodybuilding not. kettlebell lifiting is imho best bang for your bucks. See my article here:

http://naamkyun.com/2011/10/stone-locks/

GLW
11-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Good photo (bottom one) of Wang Ziping - expert in Chinese Medicine, Shuai Jiao, and the Cha Quan system. That photo is of him in his 80's..if memory serves.

sanjuro_ronin
11-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Yes, i lift kettlebells and barbells. One of the best things you can do for your explosive power. Stone locks, barbells and various bodyweight exercises were always integral part of TCMA training. Lift heavy, limit the reps to 2-3, lift explosively, and your sparring partners will fear you kicks and strikes in no time - guaranteed!

Powerlifting and weightlifting is cool, bodybuilding not. kettlebell lifiting is imho best bang for your bucks. See my article here:

http://naamkyun.com/2011/10/stone-locks/

There is nothing wrong per say with bodybuilding, it is simply building your body to make it strong and to look a certain way.
Sure it's vain and what not and when taken to the extreme as in pro bodybuilding, can be rather grotesque by the standards of some, but there is nothing wrong with bodybuilding in of itself.

TenTigers
11-12-2012, 11:41 AM
let us not forget that weight training will not make you slower, or less flexible..
IF you are using proper weight training principles, and full range of motion.
In fact, it can make you faster and more flexible.

hskwarrior
11-12-2012, 11:55 AM
they should make a clf training dvd infomercial for the fatties. seriously though out of the few MA i've tried clf is a killer workout! all the long arms, twisting of the waist & marching stances.

i always work my students hard. most of them including my girlfriend has thrown up after one of my work outs. :D

in my club our weapons are extremely heavy so my students get the lifting working out from our weapons practice.

Red machine
11-12-2012, 05:48 PM
my routine would spend 2 days focused working with weights; spend the following 2 days stretching and the following 3 days working on san shou.

the most critical aspect of lifting weights is to develop the focal on the fa jing instead of lik (strength).

YouKnowWho
11-12-2012, 06:26 PM
The priority of weight training should be between the partner training and solo training. If you can lift your 250 lb opponent over your head everyday, you are doing your weight lifting.

http://imageshack.us/a/img824/764/scarry.jpg

Partner training > weight training > solo training.

SteveLau
11-17-2012, 01:59 AM
Lifting weight works well with MA training if you do not lift much in amount of weight, exercise volume and frequency. I do not lift much in my fitness training. But rather it is regarded as resistance training for building strength and endurance. Just look at the body shape and the injury statistics of professional weight lifters will tell you why my view is so.

P.S. I use copper rings in my fitness training too.

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

straightblast5
11-17-2012, 12:09 PM
many people (mostly those who don't supplent their own training with weights) tend to have misunderstandings based on hearsay from others who know little or nothing about weight training itself.

To implement any type of training you must first you establish what is it you want to acheive. For example repeating an exercise for many reps and sets on a lighter weight will not get you "cut" or "strong", but it will give you fimilarity with the particular movement and endurance in doing it. This type of weight training is often used by athletes that want paricular actions they often have to do in their sport to be profiencent (like a golf swing).

To gain mass and definition and power, heavier weights should be used. And particular exercises (like the dead-lift, cleans, squats, etc) on a heavier weight can help build explosive power for tosses, strikes, etc.

The point is, if you want to know how any type of training can help you, its best to consult with someone who has advanced knowlegde and experience in that particular type of training to help u develop a training program suited to your own specific goals. All professional (and serious) fighters follow a routine specific to the goals they want to achieve.

If your body cannot (thru lack of fitness and proper progressive training) express whatever martial art you practice in a fight, then what ever you think you know becomes useless as someone with better physical attributes (gained through various proper and progressive training routunes) will most likely gain the upper hand in an altercation.

bawang
11-17-2012, 07:51 PM
http://photocdn.sohu.com/20121005/Img354339797.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2oidzMmGn7nNW6SZlEEzkxbucb43Gy TZXKzWlTl7acGV34A6ggA
http://www.readmeok.com/NewsImg/2012-8-9/7d1ee4a5-3f6b-40ee-b124-3319c3d0e4ba.jpg

PM
11-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Couple of quotes from Dan John, one of my favourite coaches:

"The fact is this: Getting stronger gets you closer to almost every goal I know. I was going to have a clever little point here about the single exception I could think of here; but I couldn’t even think of one.”

When in doubt, get stronger. Absolute strength is the master quality. Imagine a large glass and a small glass, like a shot glass. Absolute strength is the glass and every other quality (mobility, flexibility, cardio and all the glorious rest) is the liquid. The bigger the glass the more liquid you can hold.

If you or your client has a tiny glass, you need to keep an eye on every calorie, every nibble. But, if you have a pitcher, you can enjoy an occasional good time and know that the large load that you have will have to deal with in the gym is going to strangle those extra calories. If there is a truth in training it is this: the stronger you are the easier it is to achieve all your other goals."

SteveLau
12-10-2012, 08:41 PM
The goal of training comes first. That is always true. Another point I did not tell in my first post is that there is a time that we cannot have both or everything we want. An example is body building and martial art. The physique required for these two exercises are not the same. Up to a certain training level, they contradict each other. That means the athlete eventually needs to choose which is the main sport to go for, and which will be his supplementary.

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong