PDA

View Full Version : Mantis wooden dummy?

LaterthanNever
11-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Hi all,

So far I've seen wooden dummies(Muk Jong) for: Wing Chun, Choy Li Fut..and as of about a year ago..one for Hung Ga(Hung Kuen).

Is there such a thing as Mantis Muk Jong? If so, how does it differ from say..the Wing Chun wooden dummy..thanks!

LTN

mooyingmantis
11-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Hi all,

So far I've seen wooden dummies(Muk Jong) for: Wing Chun, Choy Li Fut..and as of about a year ago..one for Hung Ga(Hung Kuen).

Is there such a thing as Mantis Muk Jong? If so, how does it differ from say..the Wing Chun wooden dummy..thanks!

LTN

This is what we use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mtFxEPEl1s&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJrJvPy5dOo

EarthDragon
11-12-2012, 06:41 PM
As a cheap but highly effective dummy arm only, I have a 2 piece cut broom stick wrapped in a towel then wrapped with duct tape the same size as a humerous and unlna/ radial bone complete with fist ball at the end and I use it for all mantis arm techniques and joint locks, it works suprising very well and it costs hardly nothing.

yu shan
11-13-2012, 07:40 AM
Robert Hui has an awesome wooden dummy set.

TaichiMantis
11-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Robert Hui has an awesome wooden dummy set.

Yeah, just saw his latest video (http://showcaselacrosse.com/files/Official_Venue_Map.jpg)

Shadow_Trickery
11-17-2012, 04:08 PM
An article springs to mind from the "Mantis Quarterly" journal, in which Sifu Robert Hui talks about training with with the Taiji Mantis wooden dummy. Perhaps this might be of interest?

EarthDragon
11-17-2012, 05:10 PM
I have a frien who is looking for one, any sufggestions, and does anyone make them by hand cheaper than your typical crap

Bacon
11-18-2012, 12:10 AM
I have a frien who is looking for one, any sufggestions, and does anyone make them by hand cheaper than your typical crap

The best cheap version is to cut the body from PVC and just buy arms and the leg.

Paul T England
11-19-2012, 01:42 AM
I have not seen any mantis dummy stuff that adds much to training.

Instead of collecting more and more, people show make things more efficient. A wing chun dummy is handy for traiing when you don't have a partner but is not a replacement.

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk

mantiskickboxer
10-10-2013, 03:40 PM
I have not seen any mantis dummy stuff that adds much to training.

Instead of collecting more and more, people show make things more efficient. A wing chun dummy is handy for traiing when you don't have a partner but is not a replacement.

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk

My tai mantis school doesn't use a mantis dummy for training which I always thought was kind of strange.. but never one to question my superiors I guess this comment answers why we don't use one

Fa Xing
10-10-2013, 03:59 PM
My tai mantis school doesn't use a mantis dummy for training which I always thought was kind of strange.. but never one to question my superiors I guess this comment answers why we don't use one

You must not learn much by not asking questions.

mooyingmantis
10-10-2013, 06:13 PM
We use our dummy primarily as a means of conditioning.

mantiskickboxer
10-10-2013, 08:29 PM
You must not learn much by not asking questions.

^ It's funny how stupid people think that stupid questions don't exist

YouKnowWho
10-11-2013, 12:22 AM

As far as I know, the long fist schools don't use dummy for training either.

xiao yao
10-11-2013, 05:10 AM
wooden dummy training is a southern thing, my guess is it was added into the system by the HK lineages, either Luo Guang Yu or Chu Chuk Kai after being exposed to southern styles

As far as I know mainland lineages dont practice dummy at all. not saying its good or bad, just a regional thing

sanjuro_ronin
10-11-2013, 06:39 AM

While some WC will argue with this, I agree that the main purpose of beating a piece of wood should be that, conditioning.
Honestly anything other than that is best done with a partner.

Fa Xing
10-12-2013, 08:32 AM
^ It's funny how stupid people think that stupid questions don't exist

It's funny how people think by not questioning anything means they'll get anywhere. Good luck with that!

I don't give a flying **** about you asking stupid questions, you must be very slow if all you can ask are stupid questions. When I train with people, I ask about things that I need clarification on because I'm in a bind about what I am working on, or I need help on my positioning.

Again, good luck on getting far without questioning anything! *******!

mantiskickboxer
10-12-2013, 01:50 PM
It's funny how people think by not questioning anything means they'll get anywhere. Good luck with that!

I don't give a flying **** about you asking stupid questions, you must be very slow if all you can ask are stupid questions. When I train with people, I ask about things that I need clarification on because I'm in a bind about what I am working on, or I need help on my positioning.

Again, good luck on getting far without questioning anything! *******!

Nobody here said anything about not questioning anything.

Only in the mind of a simpleton can such an assumption be made.

And try to mind your temper, when you swear on an internet forum it makes you look like trailer park trash.

mooyingmantis
10-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Mantiskickboxer & Fa Xing,
Take your rude comments to private messages! We don't tolerate this behavior in the Praying Mantis forum like they do the other forums. :mad:

Fa Xing
10-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Mantiskickboxer & Fa Xing,
Take your rude comments to private messages! We don't tolerate this behavior in the Praying Mantis forum like they do the other forums. :mad:

My apologies mooyingmantis.

mooyingmantis
10-12-2013, 04:19 PM
My apologies mooyingmantis.

Thank you, but none needed. We just work very hard to keep this forum drama free and open to all opinions. :)

Kellen Bassette
10-12-2013, 05:06 PM
We just work very hard to keep this forum drama free and open to all opinions. :)

It is the classiest forum on the site, I'll give you that...

Frost
10-18-2013, 06:03 AM
While some WC will argue with this, I agree that the main purpose of beating a piece of wood should be that, conditioning.

sometimes I think the Chinese went out of their way to invent new ways to avoid actually hitting and being hit by a partner in training.....

sanjuro_ronin
10-18-2013, 06:22 AM
sometimes I think the Chinese went out of their way to invent new ways to avoid actually hitting and being hit by a partner in training.....

Nah.
That TCMA is full of stories of hard training ( stories of teachers that hurt their students for example) and challenge matches shows that, at least int he past, fighting was important.
Training dummies were NOT a substitute for fighting, they were conditioning devices.

Frost
10-18-2013, 06:31 AM
Nah.
That TCMA is full of stories of hard training ( stories of teachers that hurt their students for example) and challenge matches shows that, at least int he past, fighting was important.
Training dummies were NOT a substitute for fighting, they were conditioning devices.

tell that to the wing chun crowd lol,
I know what you mean but the number of clubs where people spend the majority of class timw doing line drills, forms, stance training and dummy work are legion...where as the number who spend the majority of class hitting each other (not just application work but free sparring) .....well those places are hard to find...

sanjuro_ronin
10-18-2013, 06:58 AM
tell that to the wing chun crowd lol,
I know what you mean but the number of clubs where people spend the majority of class timw doing line drills, forms, stance training and dummy work are legion...where as the number who spend the majority of class hitting each other (not just application work but free sparring) .....well those places are hard to find...

The point of the WD is so that when you can't train with a partner, you can at least develop the attributes you need to fight.
In the case of the WD:
Structure
Conditioning
Contact
and so forth.

It doesn't hit you back you you can't work on evasion and defense.

Like a punching bag, it is "beating up on an opponent that is covering up" at best.

You can make it more alive by NOT following a set sequence and by "fighting" it as you would a real opponent ( intent wise) BUT in the grande scheme of things it is and always has been a conditioning tool.

YouKnowWho
10-18-2013, 02:42 PM

I'll use a dummy for "reference". In another thread, I mentioned to draw a line on the ground as the reference point of my opponent's feet position. The dummy's arms and leg are much better reference point than just a line on the ground.

In the following clip, you can even use a belt as "reference" for your opponent's leg. The nice thing about this is you can train on your belt 24/7.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzUxOTYwMDY4.html