PDA

View Full Version : Stanislas Kemper Sensei - Anyone know him?

Shadow_Trickery
11-21-2012, 04:43 AM
I've recently moved to Paris and am looking for a Tai Chi teacher. I've heard a lot of talk about Stanislas Kemper Sensei - apparently he teaches at Luxembourg Gardens. Supposedly he has a "black belt" in Tai Chi.

Does anyone know if he's any good?

David Jamieson
11-21-2012, 06:03 AM
I am not sure there are many here on the boards from Paris.
Why not just head down to the gardens and check it out? It's a public garden after all and anyone can go there.

Black belt in tai chi throws up a flag for me personally. And using a Japanese title whilst teaching a Chinese art is another flag.

Less of a concern is not having a training hall and teaching in the gardens, which is fine, but in some cases you have to wonder about the level of commitment of the teacher when they don't give students a clean and safe facility to train in with equipment, expose them to the public and all that can bring etc, etc.

scholar
11-21-2012, 08:08 AM
There used to be a student of Cynthia Wu Xiaofeng (Eddie Wu's sister) who led a Saturday Morning group at the Buttes Chaumont park. It was 10 years ago, so I don't know if he still does it, or what other facilities he has access to. Cynthia Wu is the great grand-daughter of Wu Jianquan.

scholar
11-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Black belt in tai chi throws up a flag for me personally. And using a Japanese title whilst teaching a Chinese art is another flag.

I agree. Yang Zhenduo's school has (or had, I haven't visited their website in a few years) a rank test system but without Japanese terms.

The only way the the Japanese title sensei wouldn't be awkward is if you were actually teaching in Japan...

Syn7
11-21-2012, 04:12 PM
I am not sure there are many here on the boards from Paris.
Why not just head down to the gardens and check it out? It's a public garden after all and anyone can go there.

Less of a concern is not having a training hall and teaching in the gardens, which is fine, but in some cases you have to wonder about the level of commitment of the teacher when they don't give students a clean and safe facility to train in with equipment, expose them to the public and all that can bring etc, etc.

Yeah, that and when a "Tai Chi Sensei" has a "black belt". Huge red flag. HUGE!