PDA

View Full Version : What are YOU looking at???

Apprentice
10-21-2001, 12:50 AM
No, i'm not pressing(threatning) anybody

But when you fight or spar, what do you look at?

Do you look at the fists? Eyes? Shoulders? Elbows? Legs? Waist?

These are just things i've heard people say before, i just wanted to know what everyone else looks at, and why?

PHILBERT
10-21-2001, 02:17 AM
The chest and waist, because then I can see there arms and legs and watch there movements. I will glance at the face once in a while too.

PHILBERT

straight blast
10-21-2001, 02:42 AM
My old Kung Fu Sifu used to just look over your shoulder, sort of beside your head. I think he used peripheral vison to pick up motion ('cos it is faster than straight-line vision) and then I couldn't tell where he focused as I would be getting hammered. It worked pretty ****ed well for him. But he did spend 15 years in China training, and he could blind fight prettty well too.

"Through strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail"

Universal Stance
10-21-2001, 04:44 PM
In my version of WC, we looked at the elbows and knees. We were trained to decipher the type of punch or kick thrown by semi-focusing on the leading elbow/knee while maintaining our peripheral vision (this is before contact) since the elbow moves approx. 2.5 times slower than the fist.

It worked for us.

I take a Universal Stance regarding the Martial Arts.

"**** it's cold out here to be practicing."

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-21-2001, 09:03 PM
our teacher says constantly scan your oponent while not focusing on any one area in particular. he says you should be looking at everything 180 degrees around you. this is pretty similar to what the other guy said about looking over his shoulder to utilize perephrial vision.

where's my beer?

Drunken Foo
10-22-2001, 07:08 AM
I think that perephiral shots of the body work the best for me cuz I also react faster to my perephiral vision

Watch this

Slayer
10-22-2001, 08:44 AM
Um....... I take Wing Chun, so I wear a blind Fold when I spar.

Kristoffer
10-22-2001, 03:16 PM
I try looking at the abdominal sorta.. to see when he moves very quickly.

~K~
"maybe not in combat..... but think of the chicks man, the chicks!"