PDA

View Full Version : RIP Hector Camacho

Jimbo
11-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Former champion boxer Hector "Macho" Camacho died Saturday after he was taken off life support. He had been shot in the face on Tuesday in Bayamon, Puerto Rico. He was 50.

I was unable to provide the link to the story.

Drake
11-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Drug addict, possibly dealer, and a wife beater. He won't be missed.

JamesC
11-25-2012, 08:53 PM
What Drake said.

Jimbo
11-25-2012, 09:37 PM
I would agree, but I figured I'd put the story up anyway, since he was a well-known fighter. I was never much of a fan of his, but he was quite the physical talent a long time ago.

I would mention that many of the well-known kung fu and other MA figures of the past were far from being nice or good guys themselves.

*To add:
Perhaps we could view this as a cautionary tale.

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2012, 06:29 AM
This does however bring up an interesting thing, the demons that many fighters face.
Camacho, Tyson, Frazier, Norton, so many really.
How many remember Duran and his exploits too?
Then you have the likes of Ali, Ray Leonard, Mancini, Robinson, etc, great fighters that were/are true gentlemen.
Some would say that being civilized isn't a good thing for a fighter and, arguably, they would be correct but of course for every "animal" there were those that were able to either keep the "animal" contained outside the ring or make boxing what it was suppose to be, a "sweet science".

Scott R. Brown
11-26-2012, 08:44 AM
I understand he was macho too!

David Jamieson
11-27-2012, 02:57 PM
This does however bring up an interesting thing, the demons that many fighters face.
Camacho, Tyson, Frazier, Norton, so many really.
How many remember Duran and his exploits too?
Then you have the likes of Ali, Ray Leonard, Mancini, Robinson, etc, great fighters that were/are true gentlemen.
Some would say that being civilized isn't a good thing for a fighter and, arguably, they would be correct but of course for every "animal" there were those that were able to either keep the "animal" contained outside the ring or make boxing what it was suppose to be, a "sweet science".

Fight training should have a mandatory reading portion in the curriculum. And not crap fiction either, you have to read some serious thought and philosophy.

This would make a huge difference in people's lives if they were simply more well rounded. To have the intellectual capability, the physical capability, the stamina, the conditioning, the understanding...that's kung fu.

Without the mind and just the fight and the money, the chances are pretty good that "Drug addict, possibly dealer, and a wife beater. He won't be missed. " will be your eulogy.