PDA

View Full Version : Martial Honour

Shadow_Trickery
11-30-2012, 06:10 AM
One thing I've noticed in the last few years or so is a gradual, but noticeable, decline in respect and politeness. This comes from both masters and students of the dojos in my local area.

Personally I think it can be attributed to some of the "newer", seemingly inauthentic, styles appearing. A lot of insecure fighters "build themselves up" with bravado and false confidence in an attempt to make themselves appear tough. Another tactic is brazenly insulting other fighters from more authentic dojos before even knowing anything about them to add to their persona.

Has anyone else run into this?

EarthDragon
11-30-2012, 06:37 AM
constantly, the ****her people stary from the true meaning of "ARTS" and the more is focused on fighting you will have ego overcome ability.

back in my day "80'"s you met other MA you bowed talked shared and had a musutual respect for one anohter as well as yourselves. I find that MMA tends to rid the formal repsect one accrues and only shows repcet if they get beat.

I see people walking into the ring, mat or even the schhool without even bowing, this is almost completly lost in the modern western world, although i make my students bow I own a MMA gym and the MMA guys just dont get it. I always say show some respect. falls on deaf ears

Warrior_Man
11-30-2012, 06:54 AM
I know what you mean actually. I relayed a pretty moving story on this sort of thing on one of the forums, and it instantly got moved - the out-of-sight, out-of-mind approach. Maybe it's time to wake up and embrace a spirit of humility?

For the tale of two dragons, see: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1199029#post1199029

Dale Dugas
11-30-2012, 07:18 AM
It seems Warrior Man or Waman has an agenda, and links to other posts that were moved as they are nothing more than the rantings of some fortune cookie cupcake mouthboxer.

can we stop with all the fortune cookie BS talk, please? it makes you look rather stupid.

Warrior_Man
11-30-2012, 07:32 AM
Waman? Your attempts to be funny are getting really tedious Dale - it's sort of embarrassing reading you actually. The fortune cookie thing is really tired, and it was weak to start with. Your students must wince every time they read one of your posts in here...

If you don't like the discussion, don't take part! It's pretty basic...

Shadow_Trickery
11-30-2012, 07:34 AM
It seems Warrior Man or Waman has an agenda, and links to other posts that were moved as they are nothing more than the rantings of some fortune cookie cupcake mouthboxer.

can we stop with all the fortune cookie BS talk, please? it makes you look rather stupid.

Whilst I appreciate you replying to my thread, I don't really appreciate the digression. Could you keep this in private messages or something instead please? It just ruins the discussion. Somewhat ironically, this is just the sort of needless negative behaviour that this topic is about!

constantly, the ****her people stary from the true meaning of "ARTS" and the more is focused on fighting you will have ego overcome ability.

back in my day "80'"s you met other MA you bowed talked shared and had a musutual respect for one anohter as well as yourselves. I find that MMA tends to rid the formal repsect one accrues and only shows repcet if they get beat.

I see people walking into the ring, mat or even the schhool without even bowing, this is almost completly lost in the modern western world, although i make my students bow I own a MMA gym and the MMA guys just dont get it. I always say show some respect. falls on deaf ears

Interesting - it seems you're a bit older than me and have seen this change in behaviour even more. I think it's a lot to do with the slow erosion of communal values and a general lack of respect in society (even as evidenced by the toxic behaviour of certain individuals in this thread). It's just a shame this has infiltrated even the martial arts community - a community originally based around honour and respect systems where fellow practitioners should show an automatic respect for each other.

Dale Dugas
11-30-2012, 07:44 AM
[QUOTE=Warrior_Man;1199037]Waman? Your attempts to be funny are getting really tedious Dale - it's sort of embarrassing reading you actually. The fortune cookie thing is really tired, and it was weak to start with. Your students must wince every time they read one of your posts in here...

Good bye.

Better things to do than waste time with the likes of you cupcakes.

David Jamieson
11-30-2012, 07:47 AM
Common Courtesy should be extended to all no matter where you are or what you are doing.

A person who lacks common courtesy lacks character and maturity. It's one thing to argue and fight, it's another thing to be slack minded, unaware and ill mannered.

These are things that Kung fu people attempt or rather should attempt to cultivate out of themselves.

Until then, Ni Ho Jun Bei! lol

Bacon
11-30-2012, 07:54 AM
There are disrespectful folks in TMAs and modern martial arts. Plain and simple it is. Before they were associated with WWE and WWF. Now Those same people jump into the MMA crowd and don Tapout gear. Most folks in TMAs would love to paint these dry humping nut riders as MMA guys with a bad attitude when the truth is these are the people who wouldn't last more than a week in an MMA gym.

You think bowing before you get on the mat is required? That some bull cookies we imported from the east. It's not culturally relevant to us. Wrestlers don't bow before hitting the mat but they shake hands before they start a match. Fencers have their own salute before starting a match. MMA guys touch gloves in the ring and almost all of them have their little prefight ritual. That's our culturally relevant shows of respect/sportsmanship. I believe this may be what Dale was referring to as "fortune cookie BS."

Hmm more authentic? Define "more authentic."

Warrior_Man
11-30-2012, 07:56 AM
I couldn't agree more David, thank you for adding to the debate.

There are some like Dale who are only here out of hate. On this particular user - I guess even Dale realized how groundbreakingly embarrassing his last attempt at humour was as he just edited it. For those who missed it, he wrote one of his generic cupcake posts and then told me to "put it where the sun dont shine" (lack of apostrophe there was his error rather than mine & at no point did he specify what "it" is).

How about we all agree to respect each other from now on?

Shadow_Trickery
11-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Hmm more authentic? Define "more authentic."

Authentic means "of undisputed origin; genuine", or "made or done in the traditional or original way".

Hope that clears that one up.

bawang
11-30-2012, 08:05 AM
i think warrior man is dale.

Kellen Bassette
11-30-2012, 08:06 AM
Serious question, I'm not trying to be a jerk...Warrior Man are you and Shadow Trickery the same person? And how old are you? Answer truthfully your honor depends on it... :cool:

Also I want to see some of your Snake style...for real...any videos?

Shadow_Trickery
11-30-2012, 08:08 AM

Haha - I hope this is true. So much.

Drake
11-30-2012, 08:10 AM
Serious question, I'm not trying to be a jerk...Warrior Man are you and Shadow Trickery the same person? And how old are you? Answer truthfully your honor depends on it... :cool:

Also I want to see some of your Snake style...for real...any videos?

Yeah, they are the same. Multiple accounts indicates lack of honor.

Kellen Bassette
11-30-2012, 08:12 AM

Lol...this hadn't come up yet when I posted...too funny...

Shadow_Trickery
11-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Yeah, they are the same. Multiple accounts indicates lack of honor.

Once again a serious discussion goes to the dogs because of internet trolls. I know you're trying to goad a reaction from me by making these baseless statements, but I'm not interested. If you kept this mindless conjecture in private messages it would be much appreciated as it's nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Back on topic, please.

Dale Dugas
11-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Why, you are not an honorable man. Honorable men step up and never hide behind anyone or anything.

For the record, I am only me. You can check me out anytime. I only post under this account from either work in Hanover, MA or home in Quincy, MA

David Jamieson
11-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Indeed, it's not a bad topic for discussion.
Let's keep it civil.

fwiw the users are not considered the same person by virtue of different country IP addresses.

Dale Dugas
11-30-2012, 08:33 AM
There is no honor is being a netghost, mouthboxer or anyone who hides behind the net.

anyone who does is lying to themselves and everyone else.

The OP is such a person as they have never come forward and proven they are who they claim they are versus just another troll account for some cupcake pussbag whiner.

Kellen Bassette
11-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Indeed, it's not a bad topic for discussion.
Let's keep it civil.

fwiw the users are not considered the same person by virtue of different country IP addresses.

Veryyyyy easy to change your IP to another country of your choosing, not that it matters, it was a simple question on background they can choose to answer or ignore.

On the topic....I'm actually surprised at the level of respect at local amateur mma and Muay Thai bouts...there are some that are disrespectful, making a scene when they lose, or win...but for the most part they are fairly humble in the ring, bowing or shaking hands with their opponents and their camps after matches, win or lose...

As to expecting respect from people who don't know you...there's a certain level of basic civility and manners one should expect..but real respect is earned and should never be considered a given...

As to the internet...good luck with that. The anonymous nature of posting allows people to say things they wouldn't say to someone's face, regardless of whether they use their real name or not.

Featherstone
11-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Downstairs from our school there is a telemarketer office. Whenever we go outside to work out or use long weapons we are always subject to various comments and snipes from the smokers or people that are on break. Some of these people are mixed bag martial artists and are curious and some are just rude people. We've had a few of them that like to play around and mimic us while we work out and we have always offered an invite to them to come upstairs to cross hands, but for whatever reason, none of them ever take us up on it. But to the original, yes, a lot of respect is missing in todays society.

Shadow_Trickery
11-30-2012, 08:51 AM
I'm going to try my best to ignore Dale's posts from now on, as they are clearly just designed to be inflammatory. I don't understand what his agenda is - but it's poisonous to the discussion at hand.

On topic: one thing I find very interesting that seems to go hand-in-hand with this common theme of lack of respect is the emergence of so-called "Martial Arts Degree Mills" or "McDojos" which are frequently being set up, even in my hometown (see Wikipedia or http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com/ for more information). Famous frauds include "Grandmaster" Ashida Kim and "Sensei" Tim Broussard.

The fact that absolutely anyone can simply pay an amount of money to receive "genuine" martial arts credentials via a certificate and belt not only gives these people a free ego boost/false confidence but it also weakens the legitimacy of real credentials. Anyone, anywhere can post his "certificate" or whatever credentials and they could be utterly meaningless.

What's even more dangerous is that some of these "black belts" then go on to set up their own dojos/gyms. This process can really propagate this unfounded lack of respect that is now all too common, as well as teaching incorrect physical concepts, together with the honour concepts.

Lucas
11-30-2012, 08:52 AM
I was wondering if i was the only person who could see the obvious bait and switch here, and the true intention of this thread....until i saw kellen's post.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Shadow_Trickery
11-30-2012, 08:57 AM
On the topic....I'm actually surprised at the level of respect at local amateur mma and Muay Thai bouts...there are some that are disrespectful, making a scene when they lose, or win...but for the most part they are fairly humble in the ring, bowing or shaking hands with their opponents and their camps after matches, win or lose....

I'm actually genuinely glad to hear this - I wish this sort of common respect was more prevalent around where I live!

Kellen Bassette
11-30-2012, 08:57 AM
I'm going to try my best to ignore Dale's posts from now on, as they are clearly just designed to be inflammatory. I don't understand what his agenda is - but it's poisonous to the discussion at hand.

On topic: one thing I find very interesting that seems to go hand-in-hand with this common theme of lack of respect is the emergence of so-called "Martial Arts Degree Mills" or "McDojos" which are frequently being set up, even in my hometown (see Wikipedia or http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com/ for more information). Famous frauds include "Grandmaster" Ashida Kim and "Sensei" Tim Broussard.

The fact that absolutely anyone can simply pay an amount of money to receive "genuine" martial arts credentials via a certificate and belt not only gives these people a free ego boost/false confidence but it also weakens the legitimacy of real credentials. Anyone, anywhere can post his "certificate" or whatever credentials and they could be utterly meaningless.

What's even more dangerous is that some of these "black belts" then go on to set up their own dojos/gyms. This process can really propagate this unfounded lack of respect that is now all too common, as well as teaching incorrect physical concepts, together with the honour concepts.

This has been going on since MAs came to the west. A black belt holds no weight whatsoever, even if you did earn it legitimately, because the majority of schools do sell them...if you put in the time you'll get it eventually...of course the set up their own gyms. It's franchising. 95% of martial artists suck.

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 09:05 AM
My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "Respect is a necessary part of human relationships. It helps people get along in a manner that is beneficial to all. HOWEVER, your honor is 'true honor' only when you can act with honor while you are being dishonored!"

He was very wise!:cool:

He also taught us, "Honor is pretend. When you forget pretend is pretend, pretend becomes real and you are ruled by an unreal reality!"

rett
11-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Once again a serious discussion goes to the dogs because of internet trolls. I know you're trying to goad a reaction from me by making these baseless statements, but I'm not interested. If you kept this mindless conjecture in private messages it would be much appreciated as it's nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Back on topic, please.

I've just reported you to the mods for using suspected multiple accounts to troll. (not that they haven't already noticed, I'm sure)

Just thought I'd be up-front about it.

Kellen Bassette
11-30-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm actually genuinely glad to hear this - I wish this sort of common respect was more prevalent around where I live!

I'm just speaking from my experiences in my area...Coming from a traditional background I actually had presumed the mma crowd would be disrespectful...based on watching UFC and all the white trash clowns walking around in Tap Out shirts...but since I've been attending the shows I've been generally impressed with the sportsmanship...usually don't see anymore cases of bad sportsmanship than you would have at a Karate tournament....it's been heartening so far.

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 09:07 AM
I was wondering if i was the only person who could see the obvious bait and switch here, and the true intention of this thread....until i saw kellen's post.

Obvious troll is obvious.

My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "If you feed a troll, he will eat what you feed him!"

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 09:09 AM
I've just reported you to the mods for using suspected multiple accounts to troll. (not that they haven't already noticed, I'm sure)

I thought I'd be up-front about it.

My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "He who is 'up front', often misses the backdoor....and you don't want to miss the backdoor!!!"

rett
11-30-2012, 09:11 AM
My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "He who is 'up front', often misses the backdoor....and you don't want to miss the backdoor!!!"

LOL. But what does it mean?:confused: It's not icky is it?

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm just speaking from my experiences in my area...Coming from a traditional background I actually had presumed the mma crowd would be disrespectful...based on watching UFC and all the white trash clowns walking around in Tap Out shirts...but since I've been attending the shows I've been generally impressed with the sportsmanship...usually don't see anymore cases of bad sportsmanship than you would have at a Karate tournament....it's been heartening so far.

I think this is probably due to the fact that in a MMA bout you have the potential for serious injury. Both parties have the potential to do serious and sometimes unnecessary damage to each other. This type of danger fosters respect, because respect avoids misunderstandings that lead to intentional injuries to others. This is why the Samurai displayed serious etiquette. It helped to avoid unnecessary conflict and thus injury and/or death.

pazman
11-30-2012, 09:14 AM
This has been going on since MAs came to the west. A black belt holds no weight whatsoever, even if you did earn it legitimately, because the majority of schools do sell them...if you put in the time you'll get it eventually...of course the set up their own gyms. It's franchising. 95% of martial artists suck.

There are some arts, though, that a rank actually means something. Having a 1st degree blackbelt from the Kodokan in Judo, for example, means something. It doesn't mean much, but there is an assurance of a minimum standard. BJJ also has good standards when it comes to awarding ranks. Even as a beginner, you can go into a BJJ school and roll with guys of different ranks and feel a real difference.

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 09:18 AM

Just thought I'd be up-front about it.

LOL. But what does it mean?:confused: It's not icky is it?

When I asked The Ancient One the same thing, he said, "It is interesting where your mind goes of its own accord. Is the origin of this question my lesson or is it your own mind?"

I confess that gave me reason to ponder!:confused:

wenshu
11-30-2012, 09:18 AM

Aren't you in IT Gimmersan? You don't know how easy it is to set up a proxy?

Kellen Bassette
11-30-2012, 09:19 AM
I think this is probably due to the fact that in a MMA bout you have the potential for serious injury. Both parties have the potential to do serious and sometimes unnecessary damage to each other. This type of danger fosters respect, because respect avoids misunderstandings that lead to intentional injuries to others. This is why the Samurai displayed serious etiquette. It helped to avoid unnecessary conflict and thus injury and/or death.

I agree with you. I hate to see unnecessary damage on anyone and I have a lot of respect for the pros who don't take 2 or 3 free shots after an obvious knock out, before the ref can step in. You certainly don't want anyone doing intentional, unnecessary damage to you.

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 09:43 AM
For the fun of it I just changed my IP address to London, feel free to check it.

If I did it correctly that is!

If you want I can move to Hong Kong too!

Warrior_Man
11-30-2012, 09:47 AM
For the fun of it I just changed my IP address to London, feel free to check it.

If I did it correctly that is!

If you want I can move to Hong Kong too!

Wow, that does sound fun! You sure know how to have a good time. What do people think about the fable I posted by the way? - http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...29#post1199029

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Wow, that does sound fun! You sure know how to have a good time. What do people think about the fable I posted by the way? - http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...29#post1199029

If your fable is:

404 Not Found!

I would say its a little short, and the characters and moral were not developed enough!

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 09:50 AM
But maybe we don't get American fables here in London!:confused:

Warrior_Man
11-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Firstly I'm not American, nor am I in America. Secondly, I don't know why the link doesn't work. Here it is again - http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1199029#post1199029

If that doesn't work, just look in the 'Off Topic' section, where it was strangely moved.

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Firstly I'm not American, nor am I in America. Secondly, I don't know why the link doesn't work. Here it is again - http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1199029#post1199029

If that doesn't work, just look in the 'Off Topic' section, where it was strangely moved.

The BB is in America.

Shadow_Trickery
11-30-2012, 10:05 AM
I agree with you. I hate to see unnecessary damage on anyone and I have a lot of respect for the pros who don't take 2 or 3 free shots after an obvious knock out, before the ref can step in. You certainly don't want anyone doing intentional, unnecessary damage to you.

Yes, so true. Systems of respect are actually there to prevent dangerous situations. That's what a lot of people don't really get.

Kellen Bassette
11-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Yes, so true. Systems of respect are actually there to prevent dangerous situations. That's what a lot of people don't really get.

I respect all martial arts...one is a better or worse fighter based on how he trains and applies his art. Not because he does traditional or modern, Kung Fu, Karate, Wrestling, Boxing or whatever...

Warrior_Man
11-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Respect for others has always been a cornerstone of civilization. The ancients knew this as well as we do. Do any of you know the traditional Chinese tale of the dragon cup (龍杯) ?

In a certain village in central China were two cupmakers. One - named Li - was a foolish, arrogant man who made cups from gold and silver. The other - Sun - was a simple, humble man who made his cups from wood. One day, a dragon came down from the mountain and asked who the noblest cupmaker was. Li instantly came forward, "Oh dragon, this question has but one answer - I am the greatest cupmaker in all the land". The dragon admired the cups and, noticing the skill nodded in acceptance. However, before he declared Li the noblest cupmaker, he saw Sun across the market. "Who is the noblest cupmaker in this village?" He asked a second time. "Why there are many cupmakers, each of us noble" came Sun's response. The dragon, hearing that Sun had respected Li and the others, instantly knew Sun to be the noblest of all the cupmakers and rewarded him with 10,000 pieces of silver.

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 10:24 AM
My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "Honor that is recognized as honorable is not honor. Honor that is not recognized as honorable is true honor!"

He was very wise! :cool:

GeneChing
11-30-2012, 10:26 AM
There is, of course, a lot of trash talk in MMA, which is amplified for the spectacle as it is a spectator sport. And it is a competition. Anyone who has competed knows the power of psychology advantage and intimidation. However, I do find the bulk of the MMA fighters that I know personally to be honorable folk. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, but the same can be said for TMA.

And remember, I see the business side of the martial world, the underbelly where money trumps honor.

That being said, remember that honor can have many meanings: honesty, fairness, or integrity in one's beliefs and actions, a source of credit or distinction, high public esteem, fame, glory... MMA is after the last four definitions for the most part although it does take a lot of personal integrity to step in the cage. And it's a sport, so there are rules to abide for fairness.

Dale has maintained a sticking point about forum members that do not divulge their identity under the premise that this is dishonest. In all fairness, this is a web forum that has never required identity to be revealed. Personally, I like the anonymity. It allows both established masters to speak as common practitioners (and there are a few here that I know about that do this - you'd be very surprised). It also allows people with no reputation to voice their opinion in a very democratic way. Calling Warrior_Man or any other forum member out because you don't know who they are is akin to standing naked in a masquerade and complaining about everyone else's costumes.

Ultimately, it's just a web forum. It could all be gone in one hiccup of our income. Either way, don't let this be the measure of martial honor. There are some members here who are very honorable, but we are open to the public, and always will be, and that includes the lowest denominator. The honorable ones teach them. Discouraging them, even banning them, has little effect as water always seeks its lowest level. But if you can turn them, that would truly bring glory.

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 10:31 AM
My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught taught us, "A world without Yin is a world without Yang, which is no world at all!"

Kellen Bassette
11-30-2012, 10:33 AM
There are some arts, though, that a rank actually means something. Having a 1st degree blackbelt from the Kodokan in Judo, for example, means something. It doesn't mean much, but there is an assurance of a minimum standard. BJJ also has good standards when it comes to awarding ranks. Even as a beginner, you can go into a BJJ school and roll with guys of different ranks and feel a real difference.

There are schools from many arts with high standards for black belts, where it really is an achievement and an honor. The thing is, there are so many more schools where it really don't mean jack, that the overall perception of a black belt has lost its' meaning. Almost everyone knows BBs that couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag, aren't in any kind of shape and couldn't do a decent form/kata to save their lives...Also, all the kids running around in BBs further cheapens it...is that 10 year old kid really going to hold his own against a grown man?

As to BJJ, I think that is a notable exception. BJJ has somehow managed to maintain very high standards for its' BBs. Generally, if your a high rank in BJJ, you can apply your art...I wish other systems were this conscience of their art's integrity when bestowing rank, but it's always going to come down to the individual teachers.

Personally I think the black belt ranking system was the second worst thing to happen to the martial arts. It keeps unmotivated people stringing along, doing the bare minimum so they can get rank and call themselves BBs. It puts instructors in awkward positions when they feel they have to promote someone simply because he has been there so long; and they just don't want to tell him he sucks. Sure, it's a great money making tool, but at what cost?

The worst thing to happen to MAs was point sparring.

GeneChing
11-30-2012, 10:41 AM

I think the worse thing to happen to MA was handheld firearms, but it's been several centuries of that now - water under the bridge.

The next worst thing has been web forums. But it's the best thing too. To quote the Ancient One:
My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught taught us, "A world without Yin is a world without Yang, which is no world at all!"

He was very wise! :cool: BTW, we know where you are poaching the 'very wise' line, wise guy. :p

Warrior_Man
11-30-2012, 10:43 AM
There are schools from many arts with high standards for black belts, where it really is an achievement and an honor. The thing is, there are so many more schools where it really don't mean jack, that the overall perception of a black belt has lost its' meaning. Almost everyone knows BBs that couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag, aren't in any kind of shape and couldn't do a decent form/kata to save their lives...Also, all the kids running around in BBs further cheapens it...is that 10 year old kid really going to hold his own against a grown man?

As to BJJ, I think that is a notable exception. BJJ has somehow managed to maintain very high standards for its' BBs. Generally, if your a high rank in BJJ, you can apply your art...I wish other systems were this conscience of their art's integrity when bestowing rank, but it's always going to come down to the individual teachers.

Personally I think the black belt ranking system was the second worst thing to happen to the martial arts. It keeps unmotivated people stringing along, doing the bare minimum so they can get rank and call themselves BBs. It puts instructors in awkward positions when they feel they have to promote someone simply because he has been there so long; and they just don't want to tell him he sucks. Sure, it's a great money making tool, but at what cost?

I totally agree with you. The sheer number of people I have encountered who train not to hit properly (semi-contact etc.) but manage to ascend very high within any given group despite this is extraordinary. It's a cliche but I'm sure many of you will have heard the Chinese idea that a belt is only good for holding up trousers.

In my school, they way we distinguish between beginners, seniors and masters is very simple. To become a senior you must defeat ten beginners in combat. To become a master, you must defeat fifty armed beginners or ten seniors in combat, plus you must have a knowledge of every form, weapon and additional technique (medicine, deadly psychology, trickery etc.)

I have my mastery exam very soon - wish me luck guys.

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Calling Warrior_Man or any other forum member out because you don't know who they are is akin to standing naked in a masquerade and complaining about everyone else's costumes.

My sifu, called called The Ancient One, taught us, "Even a naked man at a masquerade wears a costume."

Kellen Bassette
11-30-2012, 10:49 AM
I think the worse thing to happen to MA was handheld firearms, but it's been several centuries of that now - water under the bridge.

Well, yeah...there was that too, lol...hasn't seemed to hurt their popularity too much in modern times though.

Warrior_Man
11-30-2012, 10:50 AM
My mastery exam may include disarming several armed assailants.

Kellen Bassette
11-30-2012, 10:50 AM
My sifu, called called The Ancient One, taught us, "Even a naked man at a masquerade wears a costume."

What if you wore a naked man costume to the masquerade? Just think about that...

David Jamieson
11-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Aren't you in IT Gimmersan? You don't know how easy it is to set up a proxy?

Yes, it is easy. And quite possible. Seems like a lot of work though. Especially since you got me here and if it goes to far, well... Doesn't matter if there's a proxy or not.

PS. Scott, changing your ucp location setting doesn't change your IP.

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 10:56 AM

The next worst thing has been web forums. But it's the best thing too. To quote the Ancient One: BTW, we know where you are poaching the 'very wise' line, wise guy. :p

My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "Even if others believe they know what they know, they seldom know what they don't know. But if they know that knowing is the problem, they will stop trying to know. This person truly knows, As long as he doesn't know he knows! For, once he knows he knows, he will no longer know he doesn't know, no matter how much he knows!"

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Yes, it is easy. And quite possible. Seems like a lot of work though. Especially since you got me here and if it goes to far, well... Doesn't matter if there's a proxy or not.

PS. Scott, changing your ucp location setting doesn't change your IP.

Bummer! The Ancient One never taught me that! :(

Warrior_Man
11-30-2012, 10:58 AM
I forgot to say, I also have a qing-gong exam. That should be tough...

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 11:03 AM
What if you wore a naked man costume to the masquerade? Just think about that...

My sifu, The Ancient One, taught us, "A costume is a costume even if you don't know it's a costume!"

And

"If you know your nakedness is a costume, it's still a costume!"

And

"The costume others see, is not the same costume you see!"

GeneChing
11-30-2012, 11:05 AM

He was very wise! :cool: But a person in costume at a nudist colony would be considered a stalker. It's all relative.

Kellen Bassette
11-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Bummer! The Ancient One never taught me that! :(

That's only because they didn't have computers in the time of the ancients, or he would have taught you that as well.

Warrior_Man
11-30-2012, 11:07 AM
There's also the dreaded chin-na test, that won't be pretty.

Kellen Bassette
11-30-2012, 11:08 AM
But a person in costume at a nudist colony would be considered a stalker. It's all relative.

Do nudist colonies have peeping toms? :confused:

Kellen Bassette
11-30-2012, 11:09 AM
There's also the dreaded chin-na test, that won't be pretty.

What rank are you testing for?

GeneChing
11-30-2012, 11:10 AM
That's like asking if vegetarian colonies have butchers. :p

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 11:10 AM
But a person in costume at a nudist colony would be considered a stalker. It's all relative.

My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "Nudism is just another costume!"

And

"Even if you wear no costume, others will create one for you!"

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 11:12 AM
That's only because they didn't have computers in the time of the ancients, or he would have taught you that as well.

Of course! I should have considered that!

Gee.... He really was wise! :cool:

Kellen Bassette
11-30-2012, 11:13 AM

I want no part of your hippie, vegan, nudist colony...We don't have too many of them here in the North anyway....

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 11:17 AM

My sifu, called The Ancient One , taught us, "If a vegetarian colony has a butcher, there is costume confusion occurring!"

rett
11-30-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm a vegetarian 1 or 2 meals a day.

GeneChing
11-30-2012, 11:24 AM
I want no part of your hippie, vegan, nudist colony...We don't have too many of them here in the North anyway....
Q: If someone wears a suit to a hippie commune, what does that make them?

A: A narc.

Seriously, I once wore a tux to a Dead Show. Everyone thought I was Jerry's chauffeur. It brought me great honor.

rett
11-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Q: If someone wears a suit to a hippie commune, what does that make them?

A: A narc.

Seriously, I once wore a tux to a Dead Show. Everyone thought I was Jerry's chauffeur. It brought me great honor.

I'm pretty sure I saw you at some Dead shows. Before I knew you were you of course.

Warrior_Man
11-30-2012, 11:51 AM
What rank are you testing for?

I'm trying out for master

Hebrew Hammer
11-30-2012, 12:03 PM

Curious as to how you know this Gene? Maybe not that curious, but I hope they let you back in brother. When they are talking about ****s, they don't want you to wear a chicken outfit. Just a guess.

I'm pretty sure I saw you at some Dead shows. Before I knew you were you of course.

This is very existential, it begs the question do you know who you were before you knew who you were?

Warrior_Man
11-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Though I should say, in my style we don't distinguish between master and warrior.

Orion Paximus
11-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Though I should say, in my style we don't distinguish between master and warrior.

lol I love all this new "warrior" talk that people have been spouting all over the internet and facebook. It literally made my eyes roll out of my head which is how I became the blind internet monk. I can read all of your posts with my Qi because I'm a warrior master of 11th degree.

Warrior_Man
11-30-2012, 12:29 PM
lol I love all this new "warrior" talk that people have been spouting all over the internet and facebook. It literally made my eyes roll out of my head which is how I became the blind internet monk. I can read all of your posts with my Qi because I'm a warrior master of 11th degree.

Yes but 'warrior' actually means something in our school - that's the difference.

GeneChing
11-30-2012, 12:29 PM
You know I worked for psychiatric crises intervention for the Dead, right? See my 1st Shaolin Trip episode (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=469).

Curious as to how you know this Gene? Maybe not that curious, but I hope they let you back in brother. When they are talking about ****s, they don't want you to wear a chicken outfit. Just a guess.

This is very existential, it begs the question do you know who you were before you knew who you were? I don't know who I am now. But at least, I'm clothed. For now...

Orion Paximus
11-30-2012, 12:31 PM
war·ri·or/ˈwôrēər/
Noun:
(esp. in former times) A brave or experienced soldier or fighter.
Synonyms:
fighter - soldier - combatant

So that's the definition and stuff.

rett
11-30-2012, 12:32 PM
You know I worked for psychiatric crises intervention for the Dead, right? See my 1st Shaolin Trip episode (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=469).

I don't know who I am now. But at least, I'm clothed. For now...

I read your book last year and realized I remembered someone who looked like you described yourself. It was early eighties. SF, Oakland, Stanford. Some of the shows might have been Jerry Garcia band. One time, think it was a news years show, me and my friend couldn't tell if the show was over or not. It ended and everyone left but we just couldn't figure out for sure if it was over. Stayed up in the bleachers for I don't know how long.

Anyhow, no way to know for sure if it was you I saw. Have a nice weekend. I'm already inte my third pint over in this time zone:)

GeneChing
11-30-2012, 12:39 PM
I read your book last year and realized I remembered someone who looked like you described yourself. It was early eighties. SF, Oakland, Stanford. Some of the shows might have been Jerry Garcia band. One time, think it was a news years show, me and my friend couldn't tell if the show was over or not. It ended and everyone left but we just couldn't figure out for sure if it was over. Stayed up in the bleachers for I don't know how long.
I actually didn't start with the Dead until after Jerry's coma, so that was late 80s. But still, we may have crossed paths. You know Deadheads. There weren't many Asians Deadheads back then.

Anyhow, no way to know for sure if it was you I saw. Have a nice weekend. I'm already inte my third pint over in this time zone:)
Cheers!

Warrior_Man
11-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Oh, I almost forgot to mention the push-hands exam! Luckily I'm quite good at that :cool:

Syn7
11-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Warriors carry rifles and sidearms, wear body armor and roll around in humvees.
Dudes who wear jammies and call themselves warriors are LARPers.

Drake
11-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Warriors carry rifles and sidearms, wear body armor and roll around in humvees.
Dudes who wear jammies and call themselves warriors are LARPers.

We're actually trying to get rid of the "warrior" moniker. First, it sounds ridiculous. Second, it's not what we are. Soldier is, and always has been, the more accurate term.

Minghequan
11-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Okay ... I really know I shouldnt but I'll bite ..... Warrior Man where are you located and what is the name of the style you are going to test for a "Master" level in???

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 08:26 PM
My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "A man who thinks he is a Master of anything is Master of nothing!"

Lee Chiang Po
11-30-2012, 08:51 PM
One thing I've noticed in the last few years or so is a gradual, but noticeable, decline in respect and politeness. This comes from both masters and students of the dojos in my local area.

Personally I think it can be attributed to some of the "newer", seemingly inauthentic, styles appearing. A lot of insecure fighters "build themselves up" with bravado and false confidence in an attempt to make themselves appear tough. Another tactic is brazenly insulting other fighters from more authentic dojos before even knowing anything about them to add to their persona.

Has anyone else run into this?

Rudeness is a western behavior. Normally it is common for Asians to remain respectful even to their enemies. Westerners are rude and disrespectful to their elders, to most anyone else for that matter. Respect to westerners means fear. To respect someone is to fear them. That is why they do not respect someone if they feel he is not a fighter or some such. They only respect someone that they fear.
This is only one of the reasons why Chinese teachers are so reluctant to teach westerners. In order to do it right, you simply have to beat them half to death, then tell them if they want to learn be back tomorrow or if not, just stay away.

pazman
11-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Rudeness is a western behavior. Normally it is common for Asians to remain respectful even to their enemies. Westerners are rude and disrespectful to their elders, to most anyone else for that matter. Respect to westerners means fear. To respect someone is to fear them. That is why they do not respect someone if they feel he is not a fighter or some such. They only respect someone that they fear.
This is only one of the reasons why Chinese teachers are so reluctant to teach westerners. In order to do it right, you simply have to beat them half to death, then tell them if they want to learn be back tomorrow or if not, just stay away.

I think you should go back to China.

Minghequan
11-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Actually I think Lee Chiang Po is pretty much right in his view. Our society is degenerating at a great pace!

Bacon
11-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Actually I think Lee Chiang Po is pretty much right in his view. Our society is degenerating at a great pace!

Every society has said that. Literally every single one. It was a load of crap then and it's a load of crap now. Lee is just insulting a society because it's different than his.

Minghequan
11-30-2012, 11:22 PM
So is our society better now?

Syn7
11-30-2012, 11:53 PM
We're actually trying to get rid of the "warrior" moniker. First, it sounds ridiculous. Second, it's not what we are. Soldier is, and always has been, the more accurate term.

But you get my point, none the less. Warriors(regardless of the label) actually go to war. Dudes that swing fake swords around wearing silk jammies and call themselves warriors are LARPers.

Training is great, but we shouldn't get carried away. If you want to be a real warrior I suggest you put down the 30 dollar fake dao and pick up an mp-5 and get real familiar. And resist the urge to mount a coffee maker and a microwave on the ****ing thing!

Syn7
12-01-2012, 12:01 AM

So when a little girl gets hit by a car and people step over her to get where they are going, is that because they are just being respectful? Looks more like beaten into submission to me. Good behavior isn't always indicative of moral value.

xiao yao
12-01-2012, 12:45 AM
If you think rudeness is a western thing, maybe you should visit China more

rett
12-01-2012, 03:52 AM
I think you should go back to China.

Yeah. Mainland China is full of callous and rude people. It's also full of very kind and polite people. Like most places basically.

It's pretty one-sided to say westerners are rude and asians are polite. Or the other way around.

Edit to add: part of it can just have to do with different social conventions, causing perceptions of rudeness where they aren't meant.

RenDaHai
12-01-2012, 04:00 AM

I spent almost 7 years in Rural China.

Unfortunately this is not true now, and reading stories like 'ShuiHuZhuan' I don't think it ever was.

In fact I could argue well how it is the opposite. In Asia more ancient traditions remain unchanged. That is what I think you are perceiving.

Warrior_Man
12-01-2012, 04:07 AM
Okay ... I really know I shouldnt but I'll bite ..... Warrior Man where are you located and what is the name of the style you are going to test for a "Master" level in???

It's a Northern Chinese family style passed down by my master's master. Today I have my first test - multiple opponents - wish me luck!

rett
12-01-2012, 04:20 AM
It's a Northern Chinese family style passed down by my master's master. Today I have my first test - multiple opponents - wish me luck!

I tried some multiple opponent training a few years back. It was very very hard. The goal of the exercises was essentially to break out and maybe try to string them out and engage stragglers one on one. Like that youtube video from Turkey. But any little skill I might have had went right out the window with the speed and stress of the situation. It was valuable training, even frightening because they wore depersonalizing face protection and closed in menacingly (despite being friendly training partners). The message I learned was if you face multiple opponents you're probably screwed. So yeah, good luck.

omarthefish
12-01-2012, 05:10 AM
If you think rudeness is a western thing, maybe you should visit China more

lol.

Anyone who thinks westerners are more rude than Chinese folks need to have their head examined. Just spend a day or two in the PRC and you will freak the F-out. Spitting on the floor in restaurants, babies dropping drawers to **** in the middle of the sidewalk, 60 year old women turning into Genghis Khan to fight over a seat on the bus, treating any white person who speaks Chinese like some sort of a circus freak...

I could go on all day.

RenDaHai
12-01-2012, 06:14 AM
babies dropping drawers to **** in the middle of the sidewalk, .

Only babies?? You were lucky!

LFJ
12-01-2012, 06:36 AM
babies dropping drawers to **** in the middle of the sidewalk,

Only on the sidewalk?? Very lucky!

http://img.chinasmack.com/www/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/boy-defecates-on-subway-carriage-netizens-shocked-02.jpg

rett
12-01-2012, 08:27 AM

Reminds me of the time I stepped in dogshlt in Zhengzhou.

I hope.

xinyidizi
12-01-2012, 09:21 AM

It depends on how we define respect. In this case you are right. Westerners are not respectful to their elders comparing to the Chinese but on the other hand the Chinese are pretty rude to the people who have a lower social status or family ranking.

To the Chinese respect is more like giving mianzi to your elders in the family or to your boss and outside of that where you have no direct personal gains or family relationship as everyone else said there isn't any respect at all.

bawang
12-01-2012, 09:33 AM
It depends on how we define respect. In this case you are right. Westerners are not respectful to their elders comparing to the Chinese but on the other hand the Chinese are pretty rude to the people who have a lower social status or family ranking.

To the Chinese respect is more like giving mianzi to your elders in the family or to your boss and outside of that where you have no direct personal gains or family relationship as everyone else said there isn't any respect at all.

if your only contact with chinese was not prostitutes and rich city kids, you would not say this.

chinese in china are rude to you because they know western world looks down on chinese. chinese americans are polite to you because they are your cattle.

Dale Dugas
12-01-2012, 09:38 AM
I am troubled that Warrior Man has come here to spread lies and mistruths.

His Hun and Po are in danger of being sent to a hell of his own making for such actions.

I will pray for him to better himself and stop the lies that will lead to his Hun and Po becoming a hungry ghost.

Scott R. Brown
12-01-2012, 09:38 AM
if your only contact with chinese was not prostitutes and rich city kids, you would not say this.

chinese in china are rude to you because they know western world looks down on chinese. chinese americans are polite to you because they are your cattle.

When you eat a burger made from a Chinese, do you get hungry again after 15 minutes?

xinyidizi
12-01-2012, 09:44 AM

Chinese people have almost always been respectful to me and in terms of family respect and losing the western arrogance I have learned a lot here but I have seen a lot of rudeness towards the lower class in China and my last post wasn't about foreigners at all. Actually I think most of the time Chinese people give too much face to foreigners which sometimes combined with an unusual curiosity might let some foreigners think of it as rudeness.

Dale Dugas
12-01-2012, 09:45 AM
The OP needs our help as his Hun and Po are in danger.

His lies and dishonesty will create a hell of his own making and he will burn for this misdeeds in this lifetime.

Please help me pray for Warrior Man and his Hun and Po.

南無妙法蓮華經

rett
12-01-2012, 10:15 AM
What's a hun and po? Hun sounds like what I call the wifey. Some kind of karmic whipping boys?

bawang
12-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Chinese people have almost always been respectful to me and in terms of family respect and losing the western arrogance I have learned a lot here but I have seen a lot of rudeness towards the lower class in China and my last post wasn't about foreigners at all. Actually I think most of the time Chinese people give too much face to foreigners which sometimes combined with an unusual curiosity might let some foreigners think of it as rudeness.

you have learned nothing. rich city chinese worshipping westerners and looking down on poor farmers is nothing new, but its not exactly the epitomy of chinese culture.

Warrior_Man
12-01-2012, 10:21 AM
The OP needs our help as his Hun and Po are in danger.

His lies and dishonesty will create a hell of his own making and he will burn for this misdeeds in this lifetime.

Please help me pray for Warrior Man and his Hun and Po.

南無妙法蓮華經

Readers should note that Dale - after calling me a 'fortune cookie' about 15 times - has decided to hit me with this 'Hun' thing (which where I'm from is short for 'hunny', and sorry Dale I'm not into men) 3 times now. He has also sent me a private message with this included. Comedy's not your game Dale, trust me. Then again, neither is medicine (take a look at the subforum) or training (take a look at the sheer number of posts he has).

Now, please can we get back to topic?

rett
12-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Readers should note that Dale - after calling me a 'fortune cookie' about 15 times - has decided to hit me with this 'Hun' thing (which where I'm from is short for 'hunny', and sorry Dale I'm not into men) 3 times now. He has also sent me a private message with this included. Comedy's not your game Dale, trust me. Then again, neither is medicine (take a look at the subforum) or training (take a look at the sheer number of posts he has).

Now, please can we get back to topic?

I trust Dale's instincts on this one.

Dale Dugas
12-01-2012, 10:23 AM
We are on topic.

The dishonesty and lies that Warrior Man is posting all over the internet.

Lies and the spreading of negative energy will create a hell of your own making.

We need to pray for his Hun to not go to this hell.

南無妙法蓮華經

Warrior_Man
12-01-2012, 10:24 AM
We are on topic.

The dishonesty and lies that Warrior Man is posting all over the internet.

Lies and the spreading of negative energy will create a hell of your own making.

We need to pray for his Hun to not go to this hell.

南無妙法蓮華經

Man, this 'hun' thing is making you seem really gay. Unless you're looking for a boyfriend I'd stop if I were you. Which lies have I been spreading?

bawang
12-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Readers should note that Dale - after calling me a 'fortune cookie' about 15 times - has decided to hit me with this 'Hun' thing (which where I'm from is short for 'hunny', and sorry Dale I'm not into men)

when i was at detroit, this waitress asked for my order and said what could i get you hun. i brutally beat her. i had thought that she had called me a barbarian of the steps. later i apologized to her by giving her one yellow flower i picked from the sidewalk. then we made love.

Dale Dugas
12-01-2012, 10:28 AM
What's a hun and po? Hun sounds like what I call the wifey. Some kind of karmic whipping boys?

No the Hun 魂 is one of the souls the body has inside it.

Warrior Man does not know this, or he would have identified it and explained it as he is "supposedly" highly trained by Chinese masters.

Again with his lies and dishonesty. From this post on he will try and comeback with "I knew this but was testing you...." BS, but it is lies, and outright dishonesty. How does a true Warrior does this knowing what the consequences of his actions will be?

How can he make these claims but not know that lying and being dishonest will cause him to be a hungry ghost. He is not what he claims to be.

Hence my asking for help in praying for his Hun.

Warrior_Man
12-01-2012, 10:29 AM

Warrior Man does not know this, or he would have identified it and explained it as he is "supposedly" highly trained by Chinese masters.

Again with his lies and dishonesty.

How can he make these claims but not know that lying and being dishonest will cause him to be a hungry ghost.

This is an English language forum. In English, 'hun' is short for 'hunny'. So, I repeat, unless you are looking for a boyfriend, I suggest you stop.

I've noticed you've failed to highlight one of my 'lies' cupcake.

Dale Dugas
12-01-2012, 10:32 AM
All that you speak is lies, blasphemy and dishonest.

You do not know what 魂 is.

So you have no idea of any Chinese medicine.

So by this admission of you not knowing what 魂 is, you are telling everyone that you are not what you claim.

You claim to be president of an Association etc blah blah blah.

All lies and dishonesty.

Your 魂 is grave peril.

Stop your lies and dishonesty before its too late.

bawang
12-01-2012, 10:33 AM
dale why you so uptight? hes obviously joking with you. you gonna get a stroke at your age man.

Warrior_Man
12-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Which lies? 'Blasphemy' - which religion have I offended? Perhaps you should think before you post? Just a suggestion.

rett
12-01-2012, 10:34 AM

Again with his lies and dishonesty. From this post on he will try and comeback with "I knew this but was testing you...." BS, but it is lies, and outright dishonesty. How does a true Warrior does this knowing what the consequences of his actions will be?

How can he make these claims but not know that lying and being dishonest will cause him to be a hungry ghost. He is not what he claims to be.

Thanks for the character.

I'm not that good at praying for people that annoy me (not to mention when I annoy myself, which is often) but I'm actually going to try, since you suggest it.

I also hope that Warrior Man find happiness and peace. I hope that the whole forum finds peace and everyone in the world and space aliens and everybody. I mean it.

Dale Dugas
12-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Warrior Man is lying, and being totally dishonest with himself and everyone here. Because of his actions, this will cause a serious Karmic Monkeywrench which will cause his 魂 to become a hungry ghost.

You see, if he really was what he claims to be, he would know these things.

Lying and pretending will only cause you to become a hungry ghost.

The only stroke will be Warrior Man being stricken down by the word of God/Tao for his indiscretions here and elsewhere.

Warrior_Man
12-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Warrior Man is lying, and being totally dishonest with himself and everyone here. Because of his actions, this will cause a serious Karmic Monkeywrench which will cause his 魂 to become a hungry ghost.

You see, if he really was what he claims to be, he would know these things.

Lying and pretending will only cause you to become a hungry ghost.

The only stroke will be Warrior Man being stricken down by the word of God/Tao for his indiscretions here and elsewhere.

Man it's getting really boring you repeating the same abstract nonsense again and again. I'll try one more time - where have I lied? Please, cite one example.

Dale Dugas
12-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Everything that you have posted has been lies, dishonesty.

Your soul is d amned now for such horrible actions. You have broken the ten rules of Warriorship.

I will pray for your soul.

南無妙法蓮華經

Warrior_Man
12-01-2012, 10:46 AM
I don't know how I can make this clearer as you really seem to be struggling to understand what I'm typing. Okay, here goes...

Cite an example of a lie I have stated on this forum.

Dale Dugas
12-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Everything you post here and anywhere else is lies. Seems your hungry ghost soul has lost all ability to do anything but keep spouting lies and dishonesty.

I will pray for you.

南無妙法蓮華經

Warrior_Man
12-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Do you have special needs Dale?

Try to name one of my lies. This means, state something I have said - you can do this with the quote function if you like - which is untrue.

Dale Dugas
12-01-2012, 10:55 AM
all that you write, speak and think about are lies.

Your Hun is damaged and you are now passed the eternal gate of the Hungry Ghosts.

I will pray for you.

南無妙法蓮華經

rett
12-01-2012, 11:22 AM

So...

...how did it go?

Dale Dugas
12-01-2012, 11:24 AM
He is lying.

His soul is damaged and he will be nothing but a Hungry Ghost for eternity.

Kellen Bassette
12-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Dale....he has to do his multiple opponents fighting test for his master rank tonight, your putting out bad chi. :(

Dale Dugas
12-01-2012, 11:35 AM
The only bad chi is from his Hun.

He is nothing but a hungry ghost now.

all is lost.

Kellen Bassette
12-01-2012, 11:36 AM

all is lost.

Can hungry ghosts eat cupcakes?

Dale Dugas
12-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Unfortunately Hungry Ghosts cannot eat anything at all.

Hence they are called Hungry Ghosts. It is punishment for lying and being dishonest as a Warrior.

rett
12-01-2012, 11:46 AM

all is lost.

You're scaring me. I agree with the message, but all the repetitions! It's starting to feel a bit incessant.

Anyhow, let's send WARRIOR MAN victorious vibes at his masters multiple opponents tests this evening in a major European City. Hope he can win even without his trusty hun by his side.

Dale Dugas
12-01-2012, 12:10 PM
I will pray for his Hun. He is on the path of the Hungry Ghost.

All is lost.

RenDaHai
12-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Its pronounced 'Hwuun' spelled Hun

So Warrior_Man, did you choose the 50 armed beginners or the 10 advanced students to fight against for your exam?

Syn7
12-01-2012, 03:43 PM
You suck at trolling Dale!

You need a lil Bawang in ya!

PalmStriker
12-01-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm trying out for master
Yeah, MasterBlaster at a Larper Convention. Stay out of China if you value your goans. :D

Scott R. Brown
12-01-2012, 05:18 PM
My sifu, called The Ancient One , taught us, "The one who recognizes neither Truths nor lies is burdened with neither and accrues no karma for either."

Warrior_Man
12-01-2012, 05:27 PM
I will pray for his Hun. He is on the path of the Hungry Ghost.

All is lost.

It doesn't sound less gay the more you call me 'hun' Dale. I think your comments would be better suited for some kind of ****sexual dating site. Please can we stay on topic?

I noticed Dale has not been able to cite an example of my lying despite my repeated requests - his remarks are baseless and lacking in any meaning.

Ps. it has blocked the word "h-o--m--o"

Scott R. Brown
12-01-2012, 05:33 PM
It doesn't sound less gay the more you call me 'hun' Dale. I think your comments would be better suited for some kind of ****sexual dating site. Please can we stay on topic?

I noticed Dale has not been able to cite an example of my lying despite my repeated requests - his remarks are baseless and lacking in any meaning.

Ps. it has blocked the word "h-o--m--o"

See? There it is again! You just lied!

Warrior_Man
12-01-2012, 05:42 PM
See? There it is again! You just lied!

What? Are you trying to be funny...?

Scott R. Brown
12-01-2012, 05:51 PM
What? Are you trying to be funny...?

What? Trying?

I happen to be hilarious, thank you very much!

So start laughing and quit lying! :p

Hebrew Hammer
12-01-2012, 07:42 PM

Not true but we may perfected it. Some great and inaccurate generalizations, fear may breed respect or anger in many cases and manifests itself in a broad range of behaviors. Respect is not only earned through fear Lee but its a subjective value that maybe true to you. Chinese teachers have been teaching westerners for decades.

YouKnowWho
12-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Westerners are rude and disrespectful to their elders,

The difference is:

- Westerners "love" their parents.
- Easterners "respect" their parents.

When one replaces bi-directions "love" by one-direction "respect", he has just destroyed the normal human relationship of "love" big time.

In the eastern world, to raise a child is an investment. You spend money to raise your child, you hope he will take care of you when you are old. This way it may be cheaper than to pay to a fulltime nurse. This kind of eastern way of thinking is very "evil". I'm glad that I don't see it exists in the western world that I'm living in.

Shǎguā
12-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Unless it's your true essence to masturbate in discussion forums, you're at risk of becoming a hungry ghost.

Or going blind.

Or both.

bawang
12-01-2012, 08:00 PM
The difference is:

- Westerners "love" their parents.
- Easterners "respect" their parents.

When one replaces bi-directions "love" by one-direction "respect", he has just destroyed the normal human relationship of "love" big time.

In the eastern world, to raise a child is an investment. You spend money to raise your child, you hope he will take care of you when you are old. This way it may be cheaper than to pay to a fulltime nurse. This kind of eastern way of thinking is very "evil". I'm glad that I don't see it exists in the western world that I'm living in.

you are out of touch with your own people. you are just trying to justify your own genetic and spiritual annihilation by marrying a white waman.

before kung fu is bad. now chinese culture is evil. you are feces of the red hairs.

YouKnowWho
12-01-2012, 08:23 PM
you are out of touch with your own people. you are just trying to justify your own genetic and spiritual annihilation by marrying a white waman.

before kung fu is bad. now chinese culture is evil. you are feces of the red hairs.

I felt that way even before I came to US. That was 42 years ago. Do you realize that the word 孝(Xiao) doesn't even exist in English? I had published an article in Taiwan "万恶孝为首 - respect but not love your parents is the source of all evil". I was anti-tradition when I was born.

I have never said "Kung Fu is bad".

xiao yao
12-01-2012, 09:08 PM
isnt Xiao filial piety?

Syn7
12-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Love is much stronger than respect. Respect is rooted in self interest from all directions. Love is less selfish.

Bacon
12-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Love is much stronger than respect. Respect is rooted in self interest from all directions. Love is less selfish.

But don't you think love requires respect? Would you not say you must respect someone to love them?

bawang
12-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Taiwan

lol

jgjhghjg

Syn7
12-02-2012, 12:47 AM
But don't you think love requires respect? Would you not say you must respect someone to love them?

No, I wouldn't. But I will concede that that is the norm. Respect is much more diverse tho. Many factors inspire respect.

YouKnowWho
12-02-2012, 01:00 AM

I "respect" my teacher but I don't "love" him. I respect him for his TCMA ability. I would not go to him if I have any personal problem and expect he would help me in anyway. IMO, "love" is much stronger connection than "respect". If I "love" someone, I'm willing to die for that person. If I "repect" someone, I won't go that far.

Next time when you have your 1st date with your new girl, tell her that "you respect her" instead of "you love her" and see how she will respond.

Bacon
12-02-2012, 01:07 AM
I "respect" my teacher but I don't "love" him. I respect him for his TCMA ability. I would not go to him if I have any personal problem and expect he would help me in anyway. IMO, "love" is much stronger connection than "respect". If I "love" someone, I'm willing to die for that person. If I "repect" someone, I won't go that far.

Next time when you have your 1st date with your new girl, tell her that "you respect her" instead of "you love her" and see how she will respond.

I'm saying that respect is a necessary component of love. Love may be stronger but I don't think you can have it without respect for the person first.

No, I wouldn't. But I will concede that that is the norm. Respect is much more diverse tho. Many factors inspire respect.
So you don't respect all the people you love?

-N-
12-02-2012, 01:29 AM
I'm saying that respect is a necessary component of love. Love may be stronger but I don't think you can have it without respect for the person first.

How about every time some criminal scum gets caught, and his mom gets interviewed by the news.

She's always loving and supportive, but I doubt she respects the child molester, school shooter, thief or whatever.

YouKnowWho
12-02-2012, 01:38 AM

You have to earn other's respect by doing something good such as "save the planet". If you are a good looking guy, girls will love you by default.

-N-
12-02-2012, 01:41 AM
You have to earn other's respect by doing something good such as "save the planet". If you are a good looking guy, girls will love you by default.

Girls love a good looking bad boy player too, haha. No respect going on there.

Syn7
12-02-2012, 01:46 AM

I don't respect all the subjects of my feelings of love, no.

But then if you want to really get down to it, I suppose I have a certain amount of respect for everything, anything. Know what I mean? So in that sense, yes.

And sometimes it's easy to get mixed up about what the subject and targets are. I don't respect a man who has a gun to my head, but I mos def respect the gun and the situation.

Bacon
12-02-2012, 01:47 AM
How about every time some criminal scum gets caught, and his mom gets interviewed by the news.

She's always loving and supportive, but I doubt she respects the child molester, school shooter, thief or whatever.

There are more complex psychological factors at play there such as attachment through over justification. I would not term that as love because I know the factors at play there.

Even if it is love however I'd say the mother may not respect her son's choices, in your example, but still respects them as a person.

Or if your example is correct maybe it would be better to say that respect precedes love but once love is established respect is no longer necessary.

That is infatuation or attraction, not love. And yes respect must be earned but again, would you love someone if you did not respect them?

Scott R. Brown
12-02-2012, 08:05 AM
My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "Respect those with admirable qualities, love those without!"

Jimbo
12-02-2012, 08:38 AM

I pretty much agree with your first point. But your second example isn't "love", even by your own definition in an earlier post. Those girls would not die for that guy, even if he looked like an underwear model.

In terms of love and respect, there are many examples where people can love someone but not necessarily respect them as a person. In a similar way, you can love somebody but not necessarily like them; you can also like someone but not love them.

Scott R. Brown
12-02-2012, 08:47 AM
When we speak about love we must understand there are at least 3 types:

1) Familial Love
2) Erotic Love
3) Unconditional Love

When speaking about love then, one must understand to which type is being referred.

Warrior_Man
12-02-2012, 09:05 AM

1) Familial Love
2) Erotic Love
3) Unconditional Love

When speaking about love then, one must understand to which type is being referred.

Well done Scott! You've managed to make a post without your extremely tired reference to 'The Ancient One'. I think we were all looking forward to you managing to get over that fad. I'm just looking forward to when Dale stops calling me 'hun'...

IronWeasel
12-02-2012, 09:07 AM

1) Familial Love
2) Erotic Love
3) Unconditional Love

Patiently awaiting Bawang's response...

Scott R. Brown
12-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Well done Scott! You've managed to make a post without your extremely tired reference to 'The Ancient One'. I think we were all looking forward to you managing to get over that fad. I'm just looking forward to when Dale stops calling me 'hun'...

My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "People ridicule what they do not understand, because ridicule is easier than thinking!"

Warrior_Man
12-02-2012, 09:12 AM
My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "People ridicule what they do not understand, because ridicule is easier than thinking!"

Yes I didn't think that would last - sigh.

RenDaHai
12-02-2012, 09:12 AM

1) Familial Love
2) Erotic Love
3) Unconditional Love

Can be simplified to compassionate love and passionate love.

Warrior_Man
12-02-2012, 09:20 AM

This can be simplified to love.

Scott R. Brown
12-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Yes I didn't think that would last - sigh.

My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "He who looks for something to last, will always be last!"

And,

"Instead of avoiding understanding, seek to understand your avoidance!"

Scott R. Brown
12-02-2012, 09:27 AM

This can be simplified to love.

Familial love does not have compassion as its source. Passionate/Erotic love is not even close to familial or unconditional love. It is based in emotion and/or the loins! So, none of them can be reduced to a common denominator.

These definitions of love go back to the ancient Greek Philosophers!

Warrior_Man
12-02-2012, 09:57 AM
My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "He who looks for something to last, will always be last!"

And,

"Instead of avoiding understanding, seek to understand your avoidance!"

Do others ever find this ancient one 'joke' funny, or is it a bit like when Dale tries to make jokes? The latter seems to think that because nobody laughs, the joke needs to be told again (and again and again and again...)

Scott R. Brown
12-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Do others ever find this ancient one 'joke' funny, or is it a bit like when Dale tries to make jokes? The latter seems to think that because nobody laughs, the joke needs to be told again (and again and again and again...)

My sifu, The Ancient One, taught us, "To not see wisdom as wisdom is unwise!"

And

"Instead of looking for the joke, look for the wisdom!"

And

"Wisdom disguised is still wisdom!"

Warrior_Man
12-02-2012, 10:12 AM
I can't help but reiterate - it's not because there's no response to your jokes that we haven't understood or read it. There is another reason we're not laughing, so there really is no need to repeat yourself.

Scott R. Brown
12-02-2012, 10:15 AM
I can't help but reiterate - it's not because there's no response to your jokes that we haven't understood or read it. There is another reason we're not laughing, so there really is no need to repeat yourself.

My sifu, The Ancient One, taught us, "If you try to make people laugh and they are not laughing, you are not funny, but if people do not laugh when you are not trying to be funny, then you have succeeded in making people not laugh!"

Warrior_Man
12-02-2012, 10:17 AM
My sifu, The Ancient One, taught us, "If you try to make people and they are not laughing, you are not funny, but if people do not laugh when you are not trying to be funny, then you have succeeded in making people not laugh!"

When did you start this 'My sifu, The Ancient One...' nonsense? Was there a reason?

Scott R. Brown
12-02-2012, 10:23 AM
When did you start this 'My sifu, The Ancient One...' nonsense? Was there a reason?

My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "If you always search for a reason for what you do not understand, you will be burdened by not-understanding. But if you accept what you do not understand as not-understanding, you will not be burdened with not understanding!"

And

"Sometimes nonsense means something and meaningful things are nonsense!"

Warrior_Man
12-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Could you answer my questions please?

Scott R. Brown
12-02-2012, 10:34 AM

My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "Just because you do not like the answer to a question does not mean it was not answered!"

And

"Cause and Effect occurs within your own mind! If you do not understand the Effect, look inside your mind for the Cause!"

And

"He who seeks to be a Master, must understand what he seeks is not found where he is seeking!"

Warrior_Man
12-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Do you find it funny every time you type that ancient one nonsense, or are there times when even you think, 'man this is getting tired...' ? If you could be as clear as possible that would be appreciated, even if (/when) you include it within your redundant 'My sifu...' nonsense. Thanks

Scott R. Brown
12-02-2012, 10:53 AM
I will be happy to provide a bit of a commentary however:

It doesn't matter who The Ancient One was, what matters is what he taught. But what he taught cannot be understood without some effort, of perhaps the elimination of effort, that is, preconceived notions about what the aphorisms appear to mean.

You are focusing too much on the finger pointing to the moon, The Ancient One, and ignoring what the finger is actually points towards.

Scott R. Brown
12-02-2012, 10:55 AM
If you refuse to eat because you do not like what kind of plate the food is served upon, you will not get the food you need to sustain you!

Warrior_Man
12-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Thank you for a taking at least a half-step in the direction of clarity. If his teachings and not him are what you consider important, why write in the same tired/unamusing manner every time you post?

Scott R. Brown
12-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Thank you for a taking at least a half-step in the direction of clarity. If his teachings and not him are what you consider important, why write in the same tired/unamusing manner every time you post?

You have missed the point,

The question is not why do I "write in the same tired/unamusing manner every time...[I]... post?", but why it bothers you so much?

That action is occurring inside your own mind, but you think it is occurring with the posts about The Ancient One.

To explain myself to you does you a disservice as long as you do not address your annoyance, which is a product of your own mind, not my posts!

Warrior_Man
12-02-2012, 11:11 AM
You have missed the point,

The question is not why do I "write in the same tired/unamusing manner every time...[I]... post?", but why it bothers you so much?

That action is occurring inside your own mind, but you think it is occurring with the posts about The Ancient One.

To explain myself to you does you a disservice as long as you do not address your annoyance, which is a product of your own mind, not my posts!

No, the question is if his teachings and not him are what you consider important, why write in the same tired/unamusing manner every time you post?

Scott R. Brown
12-02-2012, 11:16 AM
No, the question is if his teachings and not him are what you consider important, why write in the same tired/unamusing manner every time you post?

You still miss the point! I am now assuming you do not know what it means to be a Master. I presumed you were sincere what you spoke of your desire to be a Master, but you do not even know what the term refers too!

bawang
12-02-2012, 12:11 PM

thats why you have failed.

PalmStriker
12-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Do others ever find this ancient one 'joke' funny, or is it a bit like when Dale tries to make jokes? The latter seems to think that because nobody laughs, the joke needs to be told again (and again and again and again...) Anti-TrollSpeak.(It is all good.). :D

PalmStriker
12-02-2012, 12:41 PM

Irritation is a by-product of trolly-Pollese. :)

PalmStriker
12-02-2012, 12:43 PM
When you logged back in after your Trolly-ban. :D:):D:p

PalmStriker
12-02-2012, 12:46 PM
My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "Just because you do not like the answer to a question does not mean it was not answered!"

And

"Cause and Effect occurs within your own mind! If you do not understand the Effect, look inside your mind for the Cause!"

And

"He who seeks to be a Master, must understand what he seeks is not found where he is seeking!"

He was very wise!:cool: Your Master speaks of Truth. :) Even VoyeurMan has to admit. :D:o:D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyeurism

Scott R. Brown
12-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Your Master speaks of Truth. :) Even VoyeurMan has to admit. :D:o:D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyeurism

Shhhh!

Don't tell anyone. It's supposed to be a secret!

EarthDragon
12-02-2012, 01:18 PM
scott B

It doesn't matter who The Ancient One was, what matters is what he taught. But what he taught cannot be understood without some effort, of perhaps the elimination of effort, that is, preconceived notions about what the aphorisms appear to mean.

You are focusing too much on the finger pointing to the moon, The Ancient One, and ignoring what the finger is actually points towards.

LOL I absolutly love this quote, so simple yet he doesnt get it.....

I listen to Bashar on youtube every day, hes a medium ET. some people think hes fake and my answer is even if he is listen to the message. iit doesnt matter where it comes from but his words and explinations are so profound thereare only a few simple minded sceptics whom dont beleive

Warrior_Man
12-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Let me tell you all an ancient Chinese folk tale particularly relevant here.

In a mountainous village in the Ermei region of China, there were two farmers - Wu and Lu. Every day after tending to the needs of the fields, the two farmers would meet to discuss the harvest. Wu - an arrogant and pretentious man - would often muse on the Tao and other issues while Lu would listen patiently. One day a woman came in shedding a thousand tears, explaining, "A ruffian just took my two pieces of gold. Please, help me - they have just fled over the mountain". Wu immediately started to respond in verse, spouting riddles and nonsense, only obfuscating the situation. The woman, hearing this vacuous nonsense simply cried further.

Meanwhile, Lu had slipped out and had run to the mountain. Defeating the ruffians he brought back the gold and managed to sneak back in unnoticed. As Wu came to the end of a particularly pointless tale, Lu interjected and revealed what he had done. The woman's tears came to an end and she gave him one of the pieces of gold as a token of gratitude. Wu, realizing he was a pretentious fool who spoke only in riddles, was left a poor man while Lu had just become the richest man in the village.

I think some of you could learn a thing or two from this folk story.

RenDaHai
12-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Familial love does not have compassion as its source. Passionate/Erotic love is not even close to familial or unconditional love. It is based in emotion and/or the loins! So, none of them can be reduced to a common denominator.

These definitions of love go back to the ancient Greek Philosophers!

Familial and unconditional love are kind of the same and they do come from the base of compassion.

Compassion is something that is unconditional.

Passion is wholly conditional.

I think all things boil down to a choice of 2. Its the symmetry of the universe.

Warrior_Man
12-02-2012, 02:09 PM
But what about my story above?

Kellen Bassette
12-02-2012, 02:47 PM

It's a very nice story.

Warrior_Man
12-02-2012, 03:07 PM
It's a very nice story.

Thanks! Very appropriate here don't you think?

Kellen Bassette
12-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Thanks! Very appropriate here don't you think?

You should compile all your stories into a sort of Aesop's Fables of Chinese Parables....

Scott R. Brown
12-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Familial and unconditional love are kind of the same and they do come from the base of compassion.

Compassion is something that is unconditional.

From parent to child maybe, but not from child to parent or between siblings!

Also familial love commonly does not exceed the parameters of ones accepted social group! Unconditional love involves unconditional compassion, familial love, not necessarily.

Everything according to context, you still do not understand the proper context so your story is foolish according to context!

Try again though if you like!

Warrior_Man
12-02-2012, 03:52 PM
From parent to child maybe, but not from child to parent or between siblings!

Also familial love commonly does not exceed the parameters of ones accepted social group! Unconditional love involves unconditional compassion, familial love, not necessarily.

Everything according to context, you still do not understand the proper context so your story is foolish according to context!

Try again though if you like!

I'm glad you've given up that ancient one nonsense. The joke was REALLY running out of steam bro, good call.

Scott R. Brown
12-02-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm glad you've given up that ancient one nonsense. The joke was REALLY running out of steam bro, good call.

You are sadly mistaken. I am using a different computer wherein it is not as convenient to access my sifu's aphoristic advice.

You do not seriously think I would take advice from someone who cannot even understand what is happening within its proper context, do you?!

Here is one I remember off the top of my head though:

My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "The Bee does not take advice from the wasp on how to make honey!"

PalmStriker
12-02-2012, 04:07 PM
That sounds like excellent advice for WarriorWasp, the Ancients would approve: https://www.google.com/search?q=ancient+ones&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=xDz&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=NN67UP_8N8Pf0gH54YGYDg&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1440&bih=807 :D:):D

Scott R. Brown
12-02-2012, 04:38 PM
That sounds like excellent advice for WarriorWasp, the Ancients would approve: https://www.google.com/search?q=ancient+ones&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=xDz&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=NN67UP_8N8Pf0gH54YGYDg&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1440&bih=807 :D:):D

There is a second one that is similar, but also with a slightly different implication:

My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "The Sun does not take advice from the Moon on how to shine!"

But since W_M apparently has trouble understanding context I wasn't convinced he could fully understand the implication, so I chose the simpler context just to be sure.

Jimbo
12-02-2012, 04:43 PM
I like this Ancient One! He is very wise!

:D

Scott R. Brown
12-02-2012, 04:49 PM
I like this Ancient One! He is very wise!

:D

I'm glad you noticed! :)

I would have like to introduce him to everyone, but but sadly, he is no longer with us. All I have is his book of aphorisms.

Syn7
12-02-2012, 05:57 PM

1) Familial Love
2) Erotic Love
3) Unconditional Love

How bout inanimate objects? Do you think somebody can truly love a thing? Or only people and animals?

Shouldn't familial love, if real in the first place, be unconditional?

Erotic love is lust, no?

Syn7
12-02-2012, 06:01 PM

He has been. Is this really lost on you?

-N-
12-02-2012, 06:01 PM
How bout inanimate objects? Do you think somebody can truly love a thing?

I LOVE my 2007 Mustang!

Kellen Bassette
12-02-2012, 06:07 PM
How bout inanimate objects? Do you think somebody can truly love a thing? Or only people and animals?

I love the mountains, more than most people....

omarthefish
12-03-2012, 03:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1XxILVnt1w

Scott R. Brown
12-03-2012, 03:17 AM

Shouldn't familial love, if real in the first place, be unconditional?

Erotic love is lust, no?

The thing about familial love is that it is exclusive to ones social group. You may have unconditional love within the group, but does not exist outside the group. Meaning you will not have unconditional love for those outside your group.

The Greek word for unconditional love is "agape" as used in the Christian sense, which is different from familial/brotherly love which is "philia".

rett
12-03-2012, 06:29 AM
Scott! Does The Ancient One have anything to say about "masters exams" involving duelling with multiple opponents?

(hard question, I know. Maybe your sifu will be stumped by this one)

Bacon
12-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Scott! Does The Ancient One have anything to say about "masters exams" involving duelling with multiple opponents?

The real question is, does the ancient one have anything to say about bawang's foray into interspecies erotica?

Warrior_Man
12-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Because this thread has gone so off topic, I would like to share another tale. This is not an ancient fable, but rather a real event of something that happened to my master.

One day, my master was training in the Eagle Style - particularly working on our family Ditang Quan. A rival from the Zonge Quan school came over with a band of ruffians with ever intention of disturbing my master's practice, and brandished a flashy document to show how qualified he was. "Eagle boy, show us what you've got!" My master continued his form without listening. "Oi, buffoon, you're rubbish compared to us". Again, my master with his characteristic calm went on with his practice. This annoyed the leader of the pack, who jumped forward and threw a crane palm towards my master's face.

Manipulating his wrist to expose a gap, my master threw a strike to the heart meridian under the armpit before smashing him into the others. As it happened, he was simply following the form!

The hoodlums bowed down, humbled by the experience, and begged for forgiveness. My master simply replied, "No need to beg, you have learned that many documents aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Be humble and train hard my brethren"

wenshu
12-03-2012, 08:21 AM
All that time wasted waiting for pages to load through proxies and your posts are not even remotely clever.

wenshu
12-03-2012, 08:27 AM
The real question is, does the ancient one have anything to say about bawang's foray into interspecies erotica?

The Ancient One doesn't want to talk about it. . .

Scott R. Brown
12-03-2012, 09:15 AM

My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "There are neither hard questions nor hard answers, just questions we don't know, and answers we don't like!"

Concerning Masters, The Ancient One taught us, "If you seek to be a Master you will never succeed!"

And:

"Why do you seek to be a Master when you do not know what a Master is?"

And:

"If you do not seek to be a Master, you MAY eventually become one, but, if you think of yourself as a Master, you are not!"

And:

"How can a student call their teacher a Master, when they do not know what a Master is! It is like a child"s chocolate gold coin. The child pretends it is a real gold coin, but that does not make it a real gold coin. Pretending something is so, does not make it so and when the chocolate melts all you are left with is a mess!"

And:

"What most people refer to as a Master is merely an expert!

And:

Do not waste your time seeking to become a Master, if you do, you are ruled by your fantasies and might as well chase rainbows!"

The Ancient One doesn't want to talk about it. . .

My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "If you are ruled what you find to be erotic, you are ruled by your groin, not your mind or spirit. If that is your path, that is your path, but it is not mine.

And:

"All actions have consequences, if you don't like the consequences don't do the action!"

Scott R. Brown
12-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Because this thread has gone so off topic, I would like to share another tale. This is not an ancient fable, but rather a real event of something that happened to my master.

One day, my master was training in the Eagle Style - particularly working on our family Ditang Quan. A rival from the Zonge Quan school came over with a band of ruffians with ever intention of disturbing my master's practice, and brandished a flashy document to show how qualified he was. "Eagle boy, show us what you've got!" My master continued his form without listening. "Oi, buffoon, you're rubbish compared to us". Again, my master with his characteristic calm went on with his practice. This annoyed the leader of the pack, who jumped forward and threw a crane palm towards my master's face.

Manipulating his wrist to expose a gap, my master threw a strike to the heart meridian under the armpit before smashing him into the others. As it happened, he was simply following the form!

The hoodlums bowed down, humbled by the experience, and begged for forgiveness. My master simply replied, "No need to beg, you have learned that many documents aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Be humble and train hard my brethren"

My sifu called, The Ancient One, taught us, "If you have to fight to win, you have already lost! If you win by not fighting, you will never lose!"

sanjuro_ronin
12-03-2012, 12:32 PM
You know nothing of honour !
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrhap6I6uV1qg6og6o1_500.gif

Shadow_Trickery
12-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Came back on the forum today and saw my thread had been moved to Off-Topic... May as well post a bunch of pathetic comments about the Ancient One now:

My Sifu, The Ancient One taught us, "Trust the mind of the tiger, but never that of the spiritual of the essence."

He was a cúnt.:cool:

Scott R. Brown
12-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Came back on the forum today and saw my thread had been moved to Off-Topic... May as well post a bunch of pathetic comments about the Ancient One now:

My Sifu, The Ancient One taught us, "Trust the mind of the tiger, but never that of the spiritual of the essence."

He was a cúnt.:cool:

Wow! He sure was! And you followed his example very well! What a good student you are!:p

My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "He who follows the tiger, will get eaten!"

rett
12-04-2012, 01:55 AM
You know nothing of honour !
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrhap6I6uV1qg6og6o1_500.gif

ya know, that's a cool shot in the movie.. but when you loop it like that it's doggone weird.:D

RenDaHai
12-04-2012, 05:56 AM
"How can a student call their teacher a Master, when they do not know what a Master is! It is like a child"s chocolate gold coin. The child pretends it is a real gold coin, but that does not make it a real gold coin. Pretending something is so, does not make it so and when the chocolate melts all you are left with is a mess!"

And:

"What most people refer to as a Master is merely an expert!

THen the Ancient one is a fool. When a student calls a man a master, he calls him HIS master. That is the students choice to make. YOu can choose anyone to be your master, that doesn't mean he is a master of the art but that he is a master of you and you will follow his instruction. This is the intended use of the word. When someone is a master of an art that means he is so adept that the art follows his will as though he were the arts master.

Anyone can be a master

David Jamieson
12-04-2012, 08:19 AM
THen the Ancient one is a fool. When a student calls a man a master, he calls him HIS master. That is the students choice to make. You can choose anyone to be your master, that doesn't mean he is a master of the art but that he is a master of you and you will follow his instruction. This is the intended use of the word. When someone is a master of an art that means he is so adept that the art follows his will as though he were the arts master.

Anyone can be a master

I think there is a difference between a master/fool relationship and a master / student relationship.

Yes, a Master MUST be a master o the art he takes students for. If he is not, then sure, he can call himself master and those students can call him master, but the students are fools and the "master" is a liar. There is no gain, no profit, no learning, nothing of value to be taken from this scenario.

But, a person with a desire to be a student will seek out a master who can demonstrate that he is able to be called that. If the student is a child, they haven't really sought out anything and more than likely have been placed with a master in which case, there was a demonstration somewhere else along the line.

there is hierarchy, lineage and demonstrable skills.

I agree with Scott, real IS real and nonsense is nonsense, but it s not up to me to take the happiness away from a fool. It is up to me to ensure that the fool who is happy is not leaking into my study.

Scott R. Brown
12-04-2012, 09:16 AM
THen the Ancient one is a fool. When a student calls a man a master, he calls him HIS master. That is the students choice to make. YOu can choose anyone to be your master, that doesn't mean he is a master of the art but that he is a master of you and you will follow his instruction. This is the intended use of the word. When someone is a master of an art that means he is so adept that the art follows his will as though he were the arts master.

Anyone can be a master

My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "The idea of "Master" is a false construct. It begins with a pretend concept that individuals make up out of their own mind, then they attempt to conform themselves to this false idea. Then they call themselves a "Master" when they are able conform to an idea that sprang from their own mind in the first place. And finally, they encourage others to accept their fantasy in order to support their own delusion! It is as close to pretending as any two year old pretending to be a Super Hero!"

"It is a circular creation. I create the idea, I conform to the idea, I think I am the idea, then I convince others of the reality of my idea. But it is all still a false idea, a pretend!"

And:

"Fools are a dime a dozen, just ask any fool!"

I think there is a difference between a master/fool relationship and a master / student relationship.

Yes, a Master MUST be a master o the art he takes students for. If he is not, then sure, he can call himself master and those students can call him master, but the students are fools and the "master" is a liar. There is no gain, no profit, no learning, nothing of value to be taken from this scenario.

But, a person with a desire to be a student will seek out a master who can demonstrate that he is able to be called that. If the student is a child, they haven't really sought out anything and more than likely have been placed with a master in which case, there was a demonstration somewhere else along the line.

there is hierarchy, lineage and demonstrable skills.

I agree with Scott, real IS real and nonsense is nonsense, but it s not up to me to take the happiness away from a fool. It is up to me to ensure that the fool who is happy is not leaking into my study.

My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "An intelligent person does not need to be told he is intelligent!"

My own thoughts are this:

The term "Master" is an over used term that has lost any real meaning. Any person referring to another as his Master is a person who is still a child and unwilling to take responsibility for his own life and decisions.

Certainly we can have teachers, and it is fair to expect a teacher to be competent in their field of teaching. Many people may be experts in their field, but this is just a relative term.

As The Ancient One taught us, "One man's expert is another person's buffoon!"

rett
12-04-2012, 09:24 AM
When it comes to skills I believe that there really is such a thing as mastery. It's not "all relative" or just a social construct.

sanjuro_ronin
12-04-2012, 09:30 AM
There is only 1 master:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6gvex9f7c1rze8pxo1_500.gif

Scott R. Brown
12-04-2012, 09:34 AM
When it comes to skills I believe that there really is such a thing as mastery. It's not "all relative" or just a social construct.

There is a difference between mastering a skill (expertise) and being a MASTER!

The two are not the same thing. When most people say master, they mean expert!

When you learn cooking from an expert in cooking, you do not give your whole life over to them in order for them to teach you how to cook!

Michael Jordan was/is an expert Basketball player, he is not a Master of Life, so to speak. Anyone who turns their life over to an expert in a particular field is pursuing a fantasy and a sad individual!

sanjuro_ronin
12-04-2012, 09:38 AM
There is a difference between mastering a skill (expertise) and being a MASTER!

The two are not the same thing. When most people say master, they mean expert!

When you learn cooking from an expert in cooking, you do not give your whole life over to them in order for them to teach you how to cook!

Michael Jordan was/is an expert Basketball player, he is not a Master of Life, so to speak. Anyone who turns their life over to an expert in a particular field is pursuing a fantasy and a sad individual!

My dad was a master-welder, he could weld ANYTHING and weld it very well.
He got that by welding everyday for close to 50 years.
He never referred to himself as a master welder though, since he was always learning.
He never believed that expertise in "A" equals expertise in anything other than "A".
I agree with him.

Scott R. Brown
12-04-2012, 09:51 AM
He never referred to himself as a master welder though, since he was always learning.
He never believed that expertise in "A" equals expertise in anything other than "A".
I agree with him.

Me too! But if someone wants to learn to weld real well, your dad is the person to go too!

Master's are Master's because they know they are NOT Masters. A Master knows that he doesn't know everything and that there is still more to learn. That is experts.

Thus, The Ancient One taught us, "If you do not seek to be a Master, you MAY eventually become one, but, if you think of yourself as a Master, you are not!"

RenDaHai
12-04-2012, 03:50 PM
The word is pointless if we make it like impossible to achieve.

To master something is to bend it to your will. But then you realise it is your will that has bent to accommodate the thing and the mastery has been over yourself. So in this way once you master one thing so you see you have the potential to master any.

RenDaHai
12-04-2012, 04:09 PM
!

Perhaps you should. They may be some intangable quality about the way they live their life that makes them an expert cook. With many skills it is more than just the skill that makes them an expert, it is the way they live. If you are very serious about cooking... and some people are.

I spent many months with my Zen master, all day, every day, just the two of us. Meditating for hours, debating, talking, eating, sometimes just standing still. To learn from him a great deal was not in the things he taught but in the way he lived. You would not get this from a simple lesson.

Scott R. Brown
12-05-2012, 03:50 PM
The word is pointless if we make it like impossible to achieve.

To master something is to bend it to your will. But then you realise it is your will that has bent to accommodate the thing and the mastery has been over yourself. So in this way once you master one thing so you see you have the potential to master any.

Actually, you must learn to stop bending anything to your will!

And your will does not need to bend either. Just give up your emotional need for control/mastery of things. There is no bending, and no not-bending, there is just doing without doing!

There is nothing to Master when one stops seeking to Master.

And it's, once you master yourself you can master anything, however you can only master yourself when you stop trying to master yourself. Because the idea of master-hood is a false ideal. It does not exist in reality. Only in your imagination. If your Zen Master has not taught you this, he is not a Zen Master.

Scott R. Brown
12-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Perhaps you should. They may be some intangable quality about the way they live their life that makes them an expert cook. With many skills it is more than just the skill that makes them an expert, it is the way they live. If you are very serious about cooking... and some people are.

I spent many months with my Zen master, all day, every day, just the two of us. Meditating for hours, debating, talking, eating, sometimes just standing still. To learn from him a great deal was not in the things he taught but in the way he lived. You would not get this from a simple lesson.

You are you, not the person teaching you. You do not need to give yourself over to anyone. Just be yourself and you will be fine. If you try to be someone else you will never be you and you can never be anyone else anyway.

You are always you whether you pretend you are someone else or not, but the key is do you realize it or not. We do not need to build up a false image and attempt to conform to it. This is chasing after a phantasm.

Syn7
12-05-2012, 11:47 PM
I agree with him.

No doubt. Being a good plumber doesn't make you a good electrician. That being said, there are many transferable skills.

"Jack of all trades master of none, quite often better than a master of one."