PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of Two Dragons from Lushan Provice

Warrior_Man
11-30-2012, 06:13 AM
My teacher once told me the following tale.

In a village in Lushan Provice (鲁山县) there were two brothers born - Fang (芳) and Xiuying (秀英). Both of them received training in an ancient family style and grew up learning from the best master in the area. One day, a local bureaucrat introduced a large scroll into the centre of the village - a place where literate townsfolk could write down their thoughts for others to read.

Xiuying instantly took the opportunity to dismiss others, attacking rival clans and writing offensive slogans and provocative poems. One day, a ruffian came to his house and demanded he fight to settle the score. Xiuying refused, but the next day went back to the scroll to belittle the rascal. It was all too much and the next day he returned with a small army.

Xiuying instantly hid himself out of fear, but Fang, who had trained hard while Xiuying was spending all his time writing on the scroll, went out to meet the hoodlums straight on and defeated every one of them. The townsfolk rejoiced as Fang was declared a hero.

The next day, Xiuying, accepting the error of his ways, tore down the scroll and begging Fang for forgiveness.

It's a good lesson and I think many could learn from it - sometimes it's better to let your fists do the talking.

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 10:10 AM
My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "Honor that must be defended using violence is not honor, it is narcissism!"

He also taught us, "Your honor is 'true honor' only when you can act with honor while you are being dishonored!"

He was very wise!:cool:

rett
11-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Scott, have you ever owned a pet bluejay?

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Scott, have you ever owned a pet bluejay?

Bluejays do not make good pets. They are bullies.

rett
11-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Bluejays do not make good pets. They are bullies.

Are you speaking from experience?

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Are you speaking from experience?

My father used to feed the squirrels outside his office window. The bluejays would come and steal all the feed and bully the squirrels away.

rett
11-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Sounds like bluejays alright.

Warrior_Man
11-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Stay on topic please.

rett
11-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Stay on topic please.

I don't mean to be *****ly, but you didn't actually specify a question or topic. So I kind of see it as open show and tell.

Warrior_Man
11-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Well I was just wondering if any of you had any comments on the folk story I told...?

rett
11-30-2012, 12:21 PM
The moral of the story seems to be don't write checks your body can't cash.

Magpies are a lot like bluejays btw.

Syn7
11-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Sounds like bluejays alright.

I like Bluejays. They are kings. Minor kings, but kings none the less.

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 04:58 PM
I like Bluejays. They are kings. Minor kings, but kings none the less.

I don't like their singing voice!

wenshu
11-30-2012, 05:28 PM
The average rectal temperature of a hummingbird is 106 degrees.

Syn7
11-30-2012, 05:31 PM
I don't like their singing voice!

I just like how they manage to dominate pretty much anything that comes in my yard. The take what they want and they are very nonchalant about the whole business. They even steal from the squirrels after they rob the bird feeders. And the bigger birds seem to give them a ton of distance. They aren't as smart as the crows, but they seem to have more cajones.

Syn7
11-30-2012, 05:33 PM
The average rectal temperature of a hummingbird is 106 degrees.

I built a flying spy droid based on hummingbirds. It worked out ok, but it took a lot of trial and error. Not the most efficient flying vehicle, but pretty quiet and very maneuverable.

Drake
11-30-2012, 07:07 PM
My teacher once told me the following tale.

In a village in Lushan Provice (鲁山县) there were two brothers born - Fang (芳) and Xiuying (秀英). Both of them received training in an ancient family style and grew up learning from the best master in the area. One day, a local bureaucrat introduced a large scroll into the centre of the village - a place where literate townsfolk could write down their thoughts for others to read.

Xiuying instantly took the opportunity to dismiss others, attacking rival clans and writing offensive slogans and provocative poems. One day, a ruffian came to his house and demanded he fight to settle the score. Xiuying refused, but the next day went back to the scroll to belittle the rascal. It was all too much and the next day he returned with a small army.

Xiuying instantly hid himself out of fear, but Fang, who had trained hard while Xiuying was spending all his time writing on the scroll, went out to meet the hoodlums straight on and defeated every one of them. The townsfolk rejoiced as Fang was declared a hero.

The next day, Xiuying, accepting the error of his ways, tore down the scroll and begging Fang for forgiveness.

It's a good lesson and I think many could learn from it - sometimes it's better to let your fists do the talking.

The story was stupid and sounded like it was written by a middle school wannabe author. It lacked any breadth, creativity, and the moral has been already been taught a thousand times over, and written a thousand times better. Unoriginal, poorly written trash.

There. I stayed on topic.

Scott R. Brown
11-30-2012, 08:03 PM
I just like how they manage to dominate pretty much anything that comes in my yard. The take what they want and they are very nonchalant about the whole business. They even steal from the squirrels after they rob the bird feeders. And the bigger birds seem to give them a ton of distance. They aren't as smart as the crows, but they seem to have more cajones.

I think of them as an annoying attention starved child that won't shut up or go away!

I would rather have a pet crow!

I built a flying spy droid based on hummingbirds. It worked out ok, but it took a lot of trial and error. Not the most efficient flying vehicle, but pretty quiet and very maneuverable.

Cool!:cool:

Lee Chiang Po
11-30-2012, 09:38 PM
I learned early in life that honor is simply a foolish notion. It has no real meaning. I was challenged by a classmate to a fight one day, and rather then take it off campus that afternoon, I easily beat him down in the hallway in front of many students. Word traveled fast, and I had everyone wanting to be my friend. First, it offered them a measure of protection just being my friend as by then most were fearful of me. There were those that were not, and eventually I had to address that situation. I did not fight for honor, but for the power it gave me knowing that most people feared me. Even the school faculty feared me.

PalmStriker
11-30-2012, 11:05 PM
I had a pet raven (Eddie) many years ago that I used to take out of the attic where he lived, out onto the rooftop so he could fly around. The roof was a flat gravel construction / cement block building. He would fly off, then would retreat back to me with a half dozen jays on his tail. I would pick up a handful of gravel and toss it at them (scattershot) and they would head for some trees. Smart bird. :D Goofy as hell birds, though. An owl caught out in the daylight will be harassed by crows and blackbirds in the same manner. Yeah, squirrels and jays are fun to watch. We have a little female black cat with blue eyes that likes to chase the young squirrels and get them ****ed off.

Syn7
11-30-2012, 11:37 PM
I like how the squirrels always find a way around the anti squirrel devices used to keep them from stealing the bird food. They are so freaking resourceful that way. Crows too. It's amazing how they not only use tools but can adapt tools for specific tasks and they learn real fast.

Have you seen the crow vending machine clip? It was on TED talks and there are a few more related on youtube. Check it out if you haven't seen them. So smart. I imagine a Raven is in the same league, no?

I don't like starlings, they take one bite of a cherry then move to the next. So you end up with a tree full of half eaten cherries. Lil ****ers! lol

Dale Dugas
12-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Warrior Man is in serious trouble with his soul.

All these lies and his Karmic Retribution will be severe to say the least.

I will pray that his Hun and Po go to Nirvana versus a hell of his own making for his lies and dishonesty.

taai gihk yahn
12-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Warrior Man is in serious trouble with his soul.

All these lies and his Karmic Retribution will be severe to say the least.

I will pray that his Hun and Po go to Nirvana versus a hell of his own making for his lies and dishonesty.

oh c'mon Dale, lighten up a little - he's clearly just goofing; what's the big deal?

JamesC
12-01-2012, 02:12 PM
oh c'mon Dale, lighten up a little - he's clearly just goofing; what's the big deal?

TGY. Why does it say DICK BREATH under your name?

taai gihk yahn
12-01-2012, 05:25 PM
TGY. Why does it say DICK BREATH under your name?

because it can...;)

ok, no, lol, seriously, it's because Tatooed Monk called me that in response to a post I made that he couldn't respond to rationally, so he basicaly had no where else to go but engage in juvinille name-calling;

Scott R. Brown
12-01-2012, 05:27 PM
because it can...;)

ok, no, lol, seriously, it's because Tatooed Monk called me that in response to a post I made that he couldn't respond to rationally, so he basicaly had no where else to go but engage in juvinille name-calling;

Shouldn't it be, Richard Breath?

Syn7
12-01-2012, 06:01 PM
A vice principle from one of the HS I went to was named Richard Burns.

David Jamieson
12-03-2012, 12:21 PM
"richard expiration"

Anyway the moral of the story is don't write cheques with your mouth that your body can't cash.

Good thing what's his face had a personal line of credit with his bro.

For what it's worth, honour is an extension of pride an is therefore not of much value. Mind you, I wouldn't want dishonour, but then, that's up to me and my actions isn't it?

Scott R. Brown
12-03-2012, 03:43 PM
For what it's worth, honour is an extension of pride an is therefore not of much value. Mind you, I wouldn't want dishonour, but then, that's up to me and my actions isn't it?

My sifu, called The Ancient One, taught us, "Your honor cannot be taken from you, but you may give it up!"

He was very wise!:cool:

Faruq
12-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Where'd Warrior Man's other thread about his having taken matters into his own hands and having been called a here by everyone? I wanted to make that my new signature! #%$@!