View Full Version : Tai Chi Mantis Demonstration

dyg8235
12-01-2012, 08:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa32v-rnDzM

Tai Chi Praying Mantis Zhai Yao II

xiao yao
12-01-2012, 05:25 PM
thanks for sharing

what lineage is master yu... i see he is taiji tanglang from yantai, but he moves very differently to my shifu. is he wang yu shan lineage?

dyg8235
12-01-2012, 10:43 PM
thanks for sharing

what lineage is master yu... i see he is taiji tanglang from yantai, but he moves very differently to my shifu. is he wang yu shan lineage?

Thanks for you comment.
About your question, Master Yu is in Wang Yushan lineage. Yu's sifu is Liu Meijie(刘美杰) who was a student of Wang Yuanliang(王元亮, Wang Yushan' son). So, Yu is the ninth generation(i dunno if this is the right word for '代') of Mantis boxing now.

BTW, i saw ur website that you are studying mantis in Yantai. May i ask that are you still in Yantai? And who is your Sifu?

xiao yao
12-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Hi

I am studying under Zhou Zhen Dong, Cui Shou Shan lineage.

I am living in Yantai, near Ludong university, what about you?

dyg8235
12-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Hi

I am studying under Zhou Zhen Dong, Cui Shou Shan lineage.

I am living in Yantai, near Ludong university, what about you?

Ludong University, nice place man.
I am in Vancouver now, trying to get some college education. I am from Yantai and i was grown up there.

Oh, hey, here is another video from Master Yu, I just posted, it is Zhai Yao I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPEThYbbI1Q

I am just curious how can you get on Youtube in Yantai? i tried thousand times before but i never got on.

Bacon
12-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Ugh! why do all CMA demos do forms and pretty much never anything else.

YouKnowWho
12-02-2012, 01:30 AM

I have tried to figure that out all my life and I still haven't got any answer yet.

-N-
12-02-2012, 01:38 AM

I have tried to figure that out all my life and I still haven't got any answer yet.

Not all.

My Sihing and I did a demo for New Year in Chinatown. We showed body conditioning, and 10 Praying Mantis fighting applications.

The condtioning we did full power. The applications we did full speed and partial contact.

Doc Fai Wong stopped by behind stage afterwards and gave us a compliment.

Bacon
12-02-2012, 01:49 AM
Not all.

My Sihing and I did a demo for New Year in Chinatown. We showed body conditioning, and 10 Praying Mantis fighting applications.

The condtioning we did full power. The applications we did full speed and partial contact.

Doc Fai Wong stopped by behind stage afterwards and gave us a compliment.

Good! Then you're an improvement over most of the CMA world!

-N-
12-02-2012, 01:57 AM
Good! Then you're an improvement over most of the CMA world!

I wouldn't go that far.

The CMA world is pretty big. More to it than what's seen on YouTube.

YouKnowWho
12-02-2012, 02:03 AM
Maybe more than 80% of the TCMA people think that solo training = combat.

Some people may believe that you go to a mountain and train your solo forms for 5 years. 5 years later, you came down from that mountaion and become a bad ass fighter.

EarthDragon
12-02-2012, 05:00 AM
forms showcase a styes flavor, it also allows one to see the rooting, balance, speed, agility, power and app.

like telling a story about your style. However there are plenty of CMA guys that dont showcase forms, only, and do real fighting to show case..... dont judge but only what you have seen, PS we all dont wear silk unifiorms either. but again it showcaes the culture and fluidity of the form when wearing silk.
hope this helps explain. PS JMA do kata as well. it is a way to pratice all your app in one single fluid unsopped motion like rehersing continously.

mooyingmantis
12-02-2012, 01:29 PM

When someone is posting a clip from a tournament forms division competition, why would you think you would see something else?

forms showcase a styes flavor, it also allows one to see the rooting, balance, speed, agility, power and app.
like telling a story about your style.

Exactly! And if one cannot do it well in a form where there is no combat pressure, their techniques will really fall apart in combat. Which is why most sparring matches look pretty pathetic these days. Students are rushed into sparring without proper attention to detail through forms.

YouKnowWho
12-02-2012, 02:00 PM
And if one cannot do it well in a form where there is no combat pressure, their techniques will really fall apart in combat. Which is why most sparring matches look pretty pathetic these days. Students are rushed into sparring without proper attention to detail through forms.
Have to disagree with you on this. This guy used the form that I taught him in form competation. His average score was 6.5. He had 18-4 (18 win and 4 lose) record in Sanda under his belt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nz0o_VDDo

If you spend more than in sparring/wrestling than form, you will develop better fighting skill and less performance skill. If you spend more time in your form training, you will develop more performance skill than fighting skill.

The problem is, no matter how good that your solo form may be, you are not training your:

- timing,
- opportunity, and
- angle.

You don't need good form to be a good fighter. You also don't need to fight well to be a good form performaer. There are complete different pathes.

mooyingmantis
12-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Have to disagree with you on this. This guy used the form that I taught him in form competation. His average score was 6.5. He had 18-4 (18 win and 4 lose) record in Sanda under his belt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nz0o_VDDo

If you spend more than in sparring/wrestling than form, you will develop better fighting skill and less performance skill. If you spend more time in your form training, you will develop more performance skill than fighting skill.

The problem is, no matter how good that your solo form may be, you are not training your:

- timing,
- opportunity, and
- angle.

You don't need good form to be a good fighter. You also don't need to fight well to be a good form performaer. There are complete different pathes.

John,
I have nothing but respect for you. But I have to disagree with you. :)

That was a nice short clip, but it proved my point. :eek:

Your fighter may have easily won against what must have been a lesser opponent. But your fighter showed terrible fighting form in that he fought without ever guarding his head. His hands left his head open the entire time. A more skilled opponent would have put him to sleep before he ever got the leg hook.

This is exactly what I mean. Bad basics = bad fighters. Lucky wins = lucky fighters, not good fighters.

YouKnowWho
12-02-2012, 02:31 PM
I can understand that many people will disagree with me on this. I have spent too much time in my solo forms training in my life time. Today I look back, I wish that I would spend 1/2 of my form time in sparring/wrestling instead.

Everyday, if we

- do partner drills 600 times (develop),
- spar/wrestle 15 rounds (test),
- work on training equipment for 1 hours, (enhance)

we will find out that we just don't have time to train our forms (polish). We all want to be able to do a good form. The problem is whether we can find the time to do it.