PDA

View Full Version : Question on "Family" Styles

JamesC
12-04-2012, 03:02 PM
What constitutes a family style, from say, a more general style?

I'm assuming that a family style is just a modified version on a larger style that is passed on in that family.

So did people master numerous systems to create their own? Or use principles and techniques from one system to alter another?

It seems that if someone specializes in say, Bak Sil Lum, but changes some things while passing it on, that it would still be Bak Sil Lum, only played differently than some.

At what point does something become a "family" style?

bawang
12-04-2012, 03:20 PM
a family style is when your family is famous for something in your area.

jdhowland
12-04-2012, 03:27 PM
I would say that the "family" designation is only a name. It does not mean that anything new has to be added or omitted from an existing system. All systems change from one generation to the next. If the training system is passed down to two or more generations within the same family it can be thought of as a houshold ga/jia system.

A reason for not observing the jia status is to honor the greater lineage. Often the lineage holders see their heritage as being as valuable as the functional skills within a system. You can argue that skill shoud be more important but you can't really argue with cultural values.

And some so-called ga systems are not really family styles at all, e.g. Hung Ga and Fut Ga.

IronFist
12-04-2012, 07:03 PM
I figure it's like a family recipe, except kung fu.

A version of something. You have chocolate chip cookies, and each family may make them a little bit differently.

"Family style" isn't inherently good or bad.