PDA

View Full Version : Red Meat known problems and concerns

CD Lee
10-28-2001, 09:30 PM
I have read here from other members in the diet thread if you are cutting meat from your diet, to definately cut red meat first. I was wonderding why red meat is so bad (relatively speaking). Does anyone really know what are the drawbacks to this type of meat?

Robinf
10-28-2001, 10:28 PM
Red meat is the one that tends to have the most fat, unless you specifically get lean, and it contains the most cholestoral.

In moderation, and lean, this meat can actually be good for you.

That's all I know of. Anyone else?

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

ElPietro
10-28-2001, 11:48 PM
Hmpf...eat red meat!!!

Some vegetarians are gonna come up in here and we are going to have a shoot out. :D

Robin was right about red meat as far as fats and cholesteral but it is also rich in Protein and Iron which are essential to your body. Vegetarians will tell you that they get their protein from soy which is fine I guess although I've heard that it isn't a very good form of protein...although they will argue otherwise. Iron is also another thing difficult to have sufficient quantities of if you don't eat red meat.

Just buy lean cuts and cook smart and you will be fine. Just try to have a balanced diet, and pay attention to your body's needs.

IronFist
10-29-2001, 12:08 AM
I don't know. I quit eating red meat a few years ago, (except for rare occasions). I was always told that it's the hardest thing for your body to digest; the most taxing on your organs. At the time, I was heavy into iron body and stone warrior and stuff, so I figured it would augment my practice. Since then I have stopped those practices, but I kept with the not eating red meat. I've always eaten chicken, fish, everything else, just not beef. Seems to work for me, I guess.

The colonic people will tell you that undigestible portions of food reside in your intestines, and you need to get them blasted out by their nasty-ass colonic procedures. Red meat is thought to be the worst offender here. But colonics are just fùcking nasty, and they can have horrible side effects, like having your intestines rupture. Ewww.

Red meat is high in cholesterol. But, it's also calorific. In my unending search for high calorie foods, perhaps I should start eating red meat again. It's also full of protein and fat. Mmmm...

Iron

CD Lee
10-29-2001, 12:17 AM
So far I have not hears anything that scares me other than whater that colonic stuff is. Sounds nasty.

Man...this is making me hungry.

I would love a open flamed 12 oz. New York Srip right now. Just pink in the middle...ok with some charred green onions on the side, and well aged Cabernet from Australia. Mmmmmm

Cindy Crawford on the other side...ok I'll stop.

fa_jing
10-29-2001, 12:38 AM
I've heard the following regarding red meat:
1. If you burn it, the burnt portion is carcinogenic.
2. Harder to digest than other foods.

3. Beef only : has a high concetration of Uric Acid. My wife has a kidney condition that prevents the efficient processing of uric acid. If she eats untreated beef, her kidneys hurt.
She was told a treatment for the beef, it works pretty well: Boil the beef first with carrot slices. This will leech out most of the uric acid, which is absorbed into the carrot slices. Then discard the carrot slices. The broth is still good. You can then fry or bake the meat. She only uses thin slices or ground beef, I don't know how long you're supposed to boil it or how this works with a thicker cut. She also has discovered an herbal tea remedy that has cleared up her condition nicely.
I do eat all kinds of meat at home (even tripe!) however, if I buy a meal in the street I always avoid red meat. I find street/restaurant food to be difficult to digest anyway. I used to go to Lonestar at lunch when I was on a contract in Reston, VA. My partner was severly overweight, we used to take long lunches and spend our food allowance on 11 oz steaks. For the rest of the day, I was real productive at work - in the bathroom. :D
-FJ

sultanpro
10-29-2001, 10:17 PM
10 yrs, no red meat, i just cant seem to eat any thing that chews its cud, or has a face or parents, children, walks on four legs or is holy, anyway you get it!

Skard

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

Nexus
10-29-2001, 11:52 PM
You would be praised in india Skabro.

In some cultures drinking milk is the equivalent of drinking blood in America.

- Nexus

Mojo
10-30-2001, 12:30 AM
re: Digestion
Contrary to what you've heard, red meat is easily digested. It's the vegies that take a long time to digest because of their tough cell walls.

I am the most humble person you'll ever meet.

Shaolin36
10-30-2001, 02:25 AM
Mojo,
I beleive you are incorrect- the doctor has advised me that when I eat red meat, not to lay down to sleep within 4 hours of eating it-this way a;ll meat can be broken down and digested. Just as said in this thread earlier, it is very easy to have undigested meat in your intestine due to the complexity of enzymes recruited for digestion. The stuff is really hard on your colon to- ouch!!!!

Just another personal experience.

Shaolin36

jun_erh
10-30-2001, 03:52 AM
have you ever had buffalo burgers? They're good and leaner than cow burgers. :)

ElPietro
10-30-2001, 06:52 PM
It depends...meat isn't the fastest thing to digest but there are many starchy veggies and fruit that would take longer. Not all veggies are all that great for you...some have virtually no nutritional value whatsover. I'm sure we could find a study on carcinogenic properties on almost all foods that we eat. There are people that love to draw correlations between things no matter how many degrees of seperation and then come up with some conclusion that allows them to publish some paper in some magazine. Just remember there are very few true sources of information you can trust these days. We are assaulted from all sides by the media and half of it is just plain unresearched BS.

Just thought I'd stick that rant in there...if you enjoy something and it's not dangerous than why remove it from your life. We all die sometime...do you expect to live forever? Have fun with the time you have...there's my plug for eating steak. :D

ps - ironfist I'm disappointed in you... ;)

fa_jing
10-30-2001, 09:57 PM
I thought that even vegetarians in India drank milk, from buffalos or cows. I know they can't eat cows, but I read a yoga book that advocated drinking milk. Does anyone know what the deal is?
I always wondered about this.
FJ

CD Lee
10-31-2001, 12:21 AM
You know, I guess I am just observing nature and acting like the Universe I see. Animals eat animals and other living things. I don't see anything wrong with eating animals. I call it the Tiger form. :D

How can we cut down trees that have lived longer than we have, so violently? Maybe they feel pain too. (Poor grass)

Vegtables have feelings too I'm sure.

joedoe
10-31-2001, 12:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Not all veggies are all that great for you...some have virtually no nutritional value whatsover [/quote]

Which ones? I would be interested to find out.

As for Indians drinking milk, I do not believe they have a problem with it. In fact (I may very well be wrong on this one) I think yoghurt is an Indian invention. Take a good look at the menu at an Indian restaurant some time and you will find it is full of dairy products - sometimes even beef!

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

prana
10-31-2001, 03:21 AM
eat if you like, and don't if you choose not to.

We are all entitled to our own opinions and decisions. And we choose to eat what we want...

As for me and for me only -
I know Buddha regards Yoghurt as one of the sacred food. Plants are not sentient beings.
Meat carries heavy karma, not to mention toxins from fear and pain during its death, and also additives such as hormones. Meat is hard to digest compared to vegetables. I couldnt kill a cow, and now, neither an ant. Why do I ask another person to kill a cow for my sake ?
To me, live vegetables have energy, regardless of how much western medicine say they may be lacking in nutrition. To me I feel less angry and easier to generate positive sensations. And today, I am still a hypocrit, because sometimes I eat when I have no say.

Most of all, to many (not all) of you meat eaters I am a total lunatic, but do I give a thought about it ? No :) The immediate effects have made me happy enough.

ps. I also do not believe in cutting down trees for no reason because it has life. And hence, I too am guilty of the cause of samsara...

ElPietro
10-31-2001, 04:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Which ones? I would be interested to find out.[/quote]

Well I don't have a list but I know veggies such as iceburg lettuce and Celery aren't of much nutritional benefit to you.

Celery is a negative calorie vegetable which may be a good thing. This means that your body will burn more calories digesting a stalk of celery than that stalk actually has.

ElPietro
10-31-2001, 04:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Which ones? I would be interested to find out.[/quote]

Well I don't have a list but I know veggies such as iceburg lettuce and Celery aren't of much nutritional benefit to you.

Celery is a negative calorie vegetable which may be a good thing. This means that your body will burn more calories digesting a stalk of celery than that stalk actually has.

So if there are a few that I know I'm sure there are many others I don't. But I like celery and it's a good way to cure hunger pangs without intaking added cals, if that's what you are looking for.