PDA

View Full Version : streching machine

fa_jing
10-30-2001, 10:02 PM
I am considering buying a streching machine, to help me do the splits. I practice these, but the pressure of bearing weight seems to irritate my knees. Any comments on what's an effective but economical choice? I tried searching on this topic, but I couldn't find any related threads.
-FJ

yenhoi
10-30-2001, 10:14 PM
Train your knees to be tuffer.

strike!

IronFist
10-31-2001, 11:37 AM
Maybe get one that pushes on your legs between your hips and knees (ie. on your thighs) as opposed to on that pushes on your shins between your knees and feet. This way, there is absolutely ZERO pressure upon your knees, as the machine would be pushing against your thighs. Make sense?

I don't know if a machine like this actually exists, but I would image it would.

Iron

Repulsive Monkey
10-31-2001, 04:10 PM
There is absolutely no way in the world anyone should have to resort in buying a machine to make do the splits. First and foremost one has to learn how to relax the hip joints and all the muscles of the hips and thighs. The splits in truth is not to be forced but allowed to happen due to relaxation NOT by force!

fa_jing
10-31-2001, 09:36 PM
Ironfist - yeah, that would be what I am looking for.

Rep Monkey - I have been training the hips to relax, but really the best way I find to relax the muscles is to put heavy pressure from my bodyweight. At a certain point the muscles relax in response to the pressure.
BUT, I am knock-knee'd and the pressure irritates my knees.

So, has anyone out there used a streching machine?

Mr. Nemo
10-31-2001, 09:44 PM
There is a way to take the pressure off of the knees when working up to the splits, but I don't know it. I've heard it mentioned before - I think it involves pushing outwards with the feet, like you're trying to push walls back with them. Maybe someone else here knows.

But splits do put sideways (bad) pressure on the knees unless you can do them all the way and rest on the insides of the thighs.

Robinf
10-31-2001, 10:23 PM
Iron,

That machine does exist. Check either centuryma.com, awma.com, or sakura-0.com (the last one has the best prices).

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

fa_jing
10-31-2001, 11:53 PM
thanks robin. I checked out these sites, and Sakura-0 has much better prices than the other two, for the same stuff. -FJ