PDA

View Full Version : Blocking

JamesC
12-28-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm curious how you all teach and implement blocking, if at all.

I am of the opinion that blocking is an intermediate-advanced technique. To me, basic boxing and kickboxing skills should be learned before before blocking. Once you become better at timing, distance, parrying(yes, I think you should parry before you block), footwork, and head movement THEN you should be able to block with some proficiency.

I commonly use inward and outward blocks when sparring(with and without padding). Occasionally i'll use a downward. Most of the time I check with the shin. I've never really used up blocks.

Most blocks can be used from the basic boxing position.

I will admit, though, that once the sparring partner reaches a certain level I no longer find them AS useful. It just becomes another tool. Like a parry and other combat movements. But, solid blocks to the arms(or blocking with the elbows lol), especially to the radial nerves and such are very satisfying.

Kellen Bassette
12-28-2012, 06:19 PM
I don't like the idea of rising blocks, down blocks, ect...at all.

I think parries/deflections are far simpler to use, much quicker and more practical. As to true "hard blocking," knee checks and elbows blocks aren't that difficult and are extremely effective.

I think the ultimate goal, however, should be slipping/counter striking as your opponent strikes, with a more direct technique. This is of course much tougher to get down than parrying.

Bacon
12-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Ultimately the best thing is not being there. The second best thing is blending with the energy of your opponent by deflecting or angling.

Blocking is good because it's fast. It's your emergency technique.

Kellen Bassette
12-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Ultimately the best thing is not being there. The second best thing is blending with the energy of your opponent by deflecting or angling.

Blocking is good because it's fast. It's your emergency technique.

Exactly, emergency technique...I'll go along with that....

Syn7
12-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I'm not inclined to meet force with force like that. But in a pinch, you do what you gotta do. I mean, I'll even let you stab up my hands if it means I'm not getting stabbed in the chest. Nowhere near ideal tho, lol.

YouKnowWho
12-29-2012, 12:34 AM
This forum is funny. We have threads such as:

- How many blocks in a typical wing chun class?
- Blocking in Mantis,
- Blocking,

I like the general "blocking" discussion. Why should we care that much about "style" when we discuss "combat"?

YouKnowWho
12-29-2012, 12:48 AM
I have always believed that a blocking should be more than just a blocking. When your opponent punches at you, you can block his punch 100 times, he will still punch you the 101 times. Blocking is not the solution. What will you do after blocking is more important. The XingYi Pao Chuan is like to "use your hand to lift the curtain and walk underneath". To "walk underneath" is more important than to "lift the curtain".

Kellen Bassette
12-29-2012, 06:19 AM

- Blocking in Mantis,
- Blocking,

I like the general "blocking" discussion. Why should we care that much about "style" when we discuss "combat"?

Apparently not getting hit involves specials methods that only pertain to certain systems. It wouldn't be a universal concept to all martial arts or anything...:rolleyes:

Kellen Bassette
12-29-2012, 06:21 AM
When your opponent punches at you, you can block his punch 100 times, he will still punch you the 101 times. Blocking is not the solution. What will you do after blocking is more important.

That seems to be what happens, doesn't it? I would say, perhaps, what you do before the necessity to block arises, may be even more important...

EarthDragon
12-29-2012, 08:08 AM
Learn to block and attack simultaneously then there is never wasted movement.
it is always better to redirect than hard block,
use less to minimal effort to defend use maximum effort to attack. defend once then attack continuously until the fight is over. simple rules to follow

David Jamieson
12-29-2012, 10:17 AM
practice them in fire and return drills (one attacker / one defender)

There are the simple ones such as patting, forearm defending, chopping downwards, covering the head and even shrugging is going to help with taking the incoming which is what blocking is about.

You should definitely learn to bring a counter out from a block, otherwise evasion is just as good.

YouKnowWho
12-29-2012, 06:19 PM
When you block, can you move your hand this fast (try to move your mouse cursor to his head)?

http://www.selfcontrolfreak.com/slaan.html

mawali
12-29-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm curious how you all teach and implement blocking, if at all.

I will admit, though, that once the sparring partner reaches a certain level I no longer find them AS useful. It just becomes another tool. Like a parry and other combat movements. But, solid blocks to the arms(or blocking with the elbows lol), especially to the radial nerves and such are very satisfying.

Look at blocking as a bridge or even reframe it as parry to mount attack at the miscreant!
I would say that it is a natural function within attack. As in tuishou principle, when pushed, resist slightly then allow weight (appearance) to fall then turn waist (song ya,o song kua) to push, trap, engage, or allow some level of offense to topple the opponent. Pushing upward block is an unexpected new training regimen so learn to adopt it and be prepared to train in ways that you may not think are applicable!

Kellen Bassette
12-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Pushing upward block is an unexpected new training regimen so learn to adopt it and be prepared to train in ways that you may not think are applicable!

There's a lot of techniques I wrote off as unusable in real situations, only to have them used against me successfully by a better practitioner. I don't write anything off now that I haven't drilled and tested. A lot of times it's just a matter of developing the muscle memory, familiarizing yourself with a tech and applying it; you may find out it works well when you get the feel for the when and where.

mooyingmantis
12-29-2012, 08:30 PM

- Blocking in Mantis,
- Blocking,

Because some of us practice STYLES, not just a mish-mash of Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Muay Thai watered down ideas. And many styles are unique in their approach. So those of us who take our styles seriously like to look at why we are different. :)

PalmStriker
12-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Personally, I don't train my mindset for blocking any strike coming in slow enough to see, ie: blocking based on an aggressor's attack. Even in sparring I reflexively transform into a full body block that is an obstacle instead of the body image my attacker struck out at. (modified crane). This gives me a moment to assess the status of the attack. Friend, foe, (intent), weapons, alone? :) The faster the ability of the opponent, the less likely you will see what you are being struck with. Like to fight unarmed as I would while holding a sword or short staff. Also, I won't attack an opponent on the grounds of what I see but by what I have prepared for him/them.

sanjuro_ronin
01-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Old school karate taught it this way:
Least favorable - Block and then strike
Better but still not best - Block and strike at the same time
Better - Evade and strike
Best - Hit them before they hit you ( start later but arrive first or stop-hit or even pre-emptive striking).

EarthDragon
01-04-2013, 06:55 AM
I agree with everything in your post sanjuro..
expect for the fact of hitting them before they hit you, we are all taught that MA is SELF DEFENSE and if you train to use it it should be used in accordance with that spirit.

Now backed into a corner, 2 or more people, about to be jumped, they have a weapon or its a life threatening ****uation these are obviously exceptions.

Dale Dugas
01-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Hand to Hand
Heart to Heart
You don't come
I won't start

If you start
I hit you first
and hit you until I see red(blood)

one of the Kuen Kit from SPM

sanjuro_ronin
01-04-2013, 12:16 PM
I agree with everything in your post sanjuro..
expect for the fact of hitting them before they hit you, we are all taught that MA is SELF DEFENSE and if you train to use it it should be used in accordance with that spirit.

Now backed into a corner, 2 or more people, about to be jumped, they have a weapon or its a life threatening ****uation these are obviously exceptions.

Well...as you know there are times when a pre-emptive hit is the only self protection method that will work.
What I meant was the old TCMA adage, as Dale posted above, of the opponent starting but we "arrive" before him. In effect we hit first simply because our strike lands before his.

PlumDragon
01-04-2013, 01:11 PM
From the system I teach and train, all defensive material is "installed" in a reactionary framework. That is, there is no conceptualization of whats going on; no memorization, no back and forth drills or patterns, and no conscious thought process. In this way, we attempt to approach things from a "zero mind" perspective at the very beginning, to allow it to burn in to the subconscious so that it is readily accessible.

We adhere to 4 basic principles when working with "blocking" or any other type of defensive movement:
1. Random: We dont have any drills. Everything is fed to the student randomly, so that the student is unable to "think" about or fall into a pattern. They are therefore simply sensing the attack and attempting to react properly and in time rather than anticipating the next motion.
2. On Target: All strikes are made on target, so that the student learns to differentiate between strikes that are a real threat and those which arent. No sense in blocking/redirecting a punch if its 2" off from making contact.
3. Real-Time: From the perspective of the student, if it is too "slow" there is no threat, nor is it realistic; all defensive movements are installed in a real-time situation, so that they are available in a real-time situation.
4. Under Stress: We like to say that skills can only be accessed under stress. If you cant do it under stress, one could argue that its not technically a skill. Therefore, all defensive movements are performed under a stress level that is slightly higher than the ability of the student.

While theres more to the actual training, I find that if one adheres to the above 4 ideas, that working on defense tends to become much more productive...

EarthDragon
01-04-2013, 03:23 PM
dale sanjuro,
don't gt me wrong I'm a fighter through and through but also realize that a lot of fights I have been in could have been no fights had I not poured fuel on the fire but hey older wiser, now that I'm 46 I look back and laugh at my drop of a hat mentality I used to have.

so fir me I really don't want to engage unless they are really serious, especially doing security for the bars on the chip strip which I have been doing for years much is just pea****ing.