PDA

View Full Version : Just Moved to Queens

Sloth
01-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Hello,

I just moved to Queens (Astoria to be exact). Are there any traditional kung fu schools in the area?
I had been taking northern mantis for a few years in Chicago- I did love the style but would be open to checking out another style.
Thanks

EarthDragon
01-05-2013, 07:06 AM
stick with mantis, you will never outgrow nor be disappointed in this style.

ngokfei
01-05-2013, 01:15 PM
your right next to major subways so it won't be a problem going from 1 borough to another pretty quickly.

Here are some names to look up:

Carl Albright - http://www.lawclansman.com/

Raul Ortiz - http://www.ortizacademy.com/

tony Chuy - http://www.northernmantis.com/

there are definetly others out there as well.

SifuYui
01-05-2013, 09:33 PM
There's New York Hung Ga in Chelsea: www.newyorkhungga.com

Sloth
01-09-2013, 05:44 AM
Thanks for the replies guys-
but are there any legit places in queens?

doug maverick
01-10-2013, 05:23 AM
its new york, you have tons of traditional martial arts places, even in queens. depends on the style you are looking for.

Sloth
01-21-2013, 08:56 AM
is the best way to find them the internet? in queens, i cant really find too much online. is there any other way to find some schools or good sites to use to find them?

taai gihk yahn
01-21-2013, 11:12 AM
dude, you live in Astoria, which is so close to Manhattan (which is full of TCMA and also the reason anyone moves to NYC anyway) via subway travel-wise it's not even funny, yet you want something "closer" in Queens? u mad bro? first, unless you stay in the Astoria area, it would likely take you more time to anywhere via bus / subway in Queens; the other thing is that, unless you go to Flushing (relatively near Astoria), you probably won't find much anyway; that said, WTF? you want to study TCMA and live in NY, which has a huge choice of schools in Manhattan, and but don't want to be inconvenienced by a little travel? I used to schlep 2-3x / week from Manhattan to Bensonhurst to see my sifu, which was an hour and 15 min by subway each way; when I switched schools, I travelled 45 min each direction ~3x / week; I know lots of people who have done the same; trust me, Astoria to Manhattan is nothing compared to some of the commuting that people do btw boroughs...

as far as not being able to find them online, I don't know what sort of Googling skills u have, but when I put in "kung fu Queens New York" not only did it list the main schools in the area, it took me to a major directory page; so don't know what the problem is here;

either you are seriously lazy or just trolling (frankly, your screen name suggests the latter); cut the cr@p, get off ur asz, and start doing a little leg work like a good NY'er...

taai gihk yahn
01-21-2013, 11:14 AM
all that said, if u do your homework and then want information about a specific school or teacher, there r lots of us New Yorker's on here who would be able to speak to specifics...

Brule
01-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Welcome to life these days folks. Everyone wants everything within arms reach or it's too far. Hey, there's a good school 30 min away from you....30 min?? sheesh you mad man. You mean i have to walk to the subway and ride 30 min?

What happen to the old days......

*bows head in shame**

EarthDragon
01-21-2013, 06:18 PM
either you are seriously lazy or just trolling (frankly, your screen name suggests the latter); cut the cr@p, get off ur asz, and start doing a little leg work like a good NY'er...

he is name himself sloth

Sloth
01-22-2013, 10:51 PM
whoa whoa whoa- i feel like this has taken an unfortunate turn. Maybe my questions have been a little sloth-like. let me address a few things:

as for not wanting to travel to Manhattan- yes, I will completely own that. I am currently at a school in Manhattan. I’ve got a daughter at home- whereas I’m out of the house as she’s waking up and with my current school I don’t get home until 9-930pm which is well after her bedtime- that really doesn’t work for me if I’m training 3+ times a week. If I can stop home and spend some time with her and my wife before I head out again, that would make a world of difference to me.
Additionally, getting around queens is fairly easy for me considering I have a car.

For schools I’ve found on the internet:
I’ve been to the martialartsny.com directory. Unfortunately this site is not longer updated. I don’t think it has not been updated since around 2009. On that site there were two schools that interested me were:
Dachengdao Int’l
NY Wu Tang
Does anyone know about these two schools? I haven’t had a chance to make it out to either of them yet.

The other schools I’ve found were either Wu Shu (which I’d rather not do), Shaolin (which I have heard it’s more forms than sparring/practical applications (which may not be true- please correct me if I am)), and few Wing Chun schools and a hung gar school (which I observed a few classes or both- I prefer the northern styles).

I’ve been to Tony Chuy’s school in Manhattan- I really liked what I saw there. It was very similar to my old school in Chicago. I was hoping to find a place like that in the area or at least in Flushing.

I also had contacted Sifu Carl Albright- he had told me he is not taking on any new students. I haven’t been to Sifu Raul Ortiz’s school- traffic on the GCP and LIE are brutal after work.