PDA

View Full Version : Some guys have talent in form

YouKnowWho
01-07-2013, 03:54 PM
This guy's forms is very pleasant to watch. What else do you expect from a good form?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85tdZYkMQWI

If you still train forms, what do you think about his form?

YouKnowWho
01-07-2013, 05:54 PM
I truly don't know how these guy's punches can make such loud noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uENgsF1LezQ

mooyingmantis
01-07-2013, 06:25 PM
This guy's forms is very pleasant to watch. What else do you expect from a good form?

Very crisp, clean moves. A wonderful base to start training fighting skill. Good forms do not equal good fighting skill, but give a good teacher a guy who can move that precisely and he could turn him into one tough fighter.

However, I can pass on the theatrical sounds. :D

mawali
01-07-2013, 07:07 PM
I like the form!
Now I would like to see some level of application. By itself, #1 trophy.

Kellen Bassette
01-07-2013, 07:07 PM
They got great form...I'm not a fan of adding sound effects though.

I've said it many times, I believe forms are one of the most economical training methods for working a variety of attributes that are important to a good fighter. I feel you get the biggest bang for your buck by training forms, so long as you're doing them fast and hard.

You just must resist the temptation to train only form and deny the partner application and sparring that makes us hurt and keeps us grounded in this awful reality. :D

RenDaHai
01-08-2013, 05:58 AM
Its nice!

Kung fu is basics. We all know that you can't see fighting ability in form, but you can see conditioning and basic training. When I see form I want the player to showcase his training. I want to see flexibility, balance and strength in stances. I want to see the waist change with great speed and maximum movement so that every change, even small, is clear. I want to see power which shakes the body, and I want to see the eyes looking at the imaginary opponent with murderous intent.

The beauty is with form we can take movements to their most extreme position which we can't always do in sparring. A form should be a testing workout for strength, flexibility and stamina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQbZsgJ-pb4

Kellen Bassette
01-08-2013, 06:30 AM
Its nice!

Kung fu is basics. We all know that you can't see fighting ability in form, but you can see conditioning and basic training. When I see form I want the player to showcase his training. I want to see flexibility, balance and strength in stances. I want to see the waist change with great speed and maximum movement so that every change, even small, is clear. I want to see power which shakes the body, and I want to see the eyes looking at the imaginary opponent with murderous intent.

The beauty is with form we can take movements to their most extreme position which we can't always do in sparring. A form should be a testing workout for strength, flexibility and stamina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQbZsgJ-pb4

Well said.

mawali
01-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Interestingly, many wushu practitioners tend to retire early due to torn ligamnents, excessive training regimen affecting lower body (knee, ankle, etc) so in that opposite scenario, there is a detriment.

I heard, saw and read that there is a big difference between 'professional' wushu coaches and their students and those who are good teachers, who happen to teach for aliving. The professional coaches' student are of one body type their goal is to win and secure a better level of gain so that is a great thing while regular coaches, unafiliated with a public or state institution, tend to be off all body types and tend to last longer though the students are fewer. They do, in later stages, get the help of their university but they tend to last longer than the types associated with state supported wushu.

RenDaHai
01-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Interestingly, many wushu practitioners tend to retire early due to torn ligamnents, excessive training regimen affecting lower body (knee, ankle, etc) so in that opposite scenario, there is a detriment.

Its true. But that is not from the old forms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTYDgvLZcSU

Its that kind of stuff. Its fine if you get it right, but screw up a few landings and you get lasting problems.

I used to train the jumps but have avoided it the last few years because of knee problems. Never get a problem with the old sets though.

Jimbo
01-08-2013, 10:28 AM
A lot of people confuse traditional Long Fist forms with the modern, standardized wushu forms. They are very different things.

Was the form in the OP filmed in Taiwan or China? I ask because it really looks like a lot of the Long Fist you'd see in Taiwan, or at least in Taipei. The guy in the vid's form is very good.

When I lived in Taipei, I had a friend who had been a student of Chiang Chang-Ken (excuse the old-style spelling) in Long Fist. His surname was Guo. To this day, Guo had the most impressive Long Fist form I had ever seen. He was very fast, explosive, and could be alternately rooted or extremely light...but his execution was phenomenal, plus he could really scrap as well. But he was the most unassuming guy and never seemed very impressed with himself.

YouKnowWho
01-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Was the form in the OP filmed in Taiwan or China?

Both guys were in Taiwan. The longfist in Taiwan and longfist in China do have different flavor. At 0.32 - 0.34, there is a "三不落地(San Bu Luo Di) - 3 non-landing" in the 1st clip

Bruce Lee did that "三不落地(San Bu Luo Di) - 3 non-landing" at 0.27 - 0.31.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXP6trDByRQ

If you can still do this 3 non-landing in your old age, your physical shape should still be OK. That's the beauty of the longfist system. It will keep you young.

Ben Gash
01-08-2013, 12:50 PM
The Kung Fu Loung guys have fantastic longfist form, really love watching their stuff. Their DVDs all have massive application breakdowns as well.

wenshu
01-08-2013, 01:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r8bpEnJfPY

bawang
01-08-2013, 01:55 PM

i find this very pleasant to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBJyL-RHse4

sanjuro_ronin
01-08-2013, 02:05 PM
In my time in TKD and Kyokushin I won as many medals and trophies for forms as I did for fighting.
I have found that, while not all good forms people are good fighters, that all good fighters CAN be good forms people.
Of course I don't do or ever did flashy forms, mine were traditional.

GeneChing
01-08-2013, 02:35 PM
I have found that, while not all good forms people are good fighters, that all good fighters CAN be good forms people. I have to differ on this point. I know plenty of good fighters who can't do a form to save their life. Remember Dancing Chuck (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55016)? Ok, that's not the best example ;), but I don't think you can generalize one way or the other on this. Some good forms people make good fighters and some good fighters make good forms people. Some are too specialized to be able to cross train that way. Different strokes, or in this case strikes, for different folks.

Jimbo
01-08-2013, 05:30 PM
I have to differ on this point. I know plenty of good fighters who can't do a form to save their life. Remember Dancing Chuck (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55016)? Ok, that's not the best example ;), but I don't think you can generalize one way or the other on this. Some good forms people make good fighters and some good fighters make good forms people. Some are too specialized to be able to cross train that way. Different strokes, or in this case strikes, for different folks.

Gotta agree with Gene on this.

There are tons of good fighters who can't do a decent form, and would probably have extreme difficulty trying to learn how to. For example, over the years, I knew at least a couple different guys who were very awkward/sloppy, but who were very effective fighters. Neither one was ever able to do a form well, even a simple one. Another guy was a very good kickboxer with good fighting form, but he simply could not do a form very well (mental block?). They are just two completely different activities.

OTOH, most of the CMA guys I've known who could fight really well, also happened to be good at their forms. I don't think it's because of their forms, but because they wanted to become good at both. Plus, they had the dual talent for each aspect.

Syn7
01-08-2013, 05:47 PM

I could live without the Roland sample package. I hate it when I can identify which percussive package is being used. You need to get creative with that ****, rock out some plugins and make it your own.

GeneChing
01-08-2013, 06:08 PM
They are just two completely different activities. Actually, I only have contention with this sentence. Form and fighting can be completely different activities, but they can be one and the same too. Dare I say that the real masters master both? Or perhaps for real masters, there is just no distinction.

I suck at both, but maybe sanjuro_ronin can chime in again, as he says he's had success at both.

Syn7
01-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Actually, I only have contention with this sentence. Form and fighting can be completely different activities, but they can be one and the same too. Dare I say that the real masters master both? Or perhaps for real masters, there is just no distinction.

I suck at both, but maybe sanjuro_ronin can chime in again, as he says he's had success at both.

Define "master? then we can talk about who is and isn't and what it takes to get there.

I always thought of it as resting on your laurels. Otherwise when others call you master you will say "No, no. I am forever a student". No?

RenDaHai
01-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Or perhaps for real masters, there is just no distinction.

I think you hit on something here Gene. I like that. I think in a great many things form and function peak together.

GeneChing
01-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Define "master? then we can talk about who is and isn't and what it takes to get there.

I always thought of it as resting on your laurels. Otherwise when others call you master you will say "No, no. I am forever a student". No? That's a fair question as 'master' is even harder to define than 'haymaker (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1205206#post1205206)'. I can see where you might draw the 'resting on your laurels' conclusion, given how some self-proclaimed masters behave (ironically, 'resting on your laurels' comes from ancient Greece - former champions were allowed to do so, but only for one year following their victory, not for the rest of their lives). To master something means to have complete knowledge, which of course, begs another question, what defines 'complete'? But take this quote from the Venerable Chan Grandmaster Hua into consideration. He once said, "Education has neither a beginning nor an end. School is wherever we go." Personally, I've always sought out masters that maintained a vital practice, and you can't do that while resting on laurel leaves.

Robinhood
01-08-2013, 06:43 PM
A form is just a pre arranged set of movements designed to build coordination along with body conditioning, to be able to control your body could lead to better application of beginning martial arts training at body level mechanics.

Most forms also contain efficient application of martial techniques or movements all strung together in one continuous set of movement's which leads to meaningless application of said movements for practical application, but can be referenced in future learning of proper application of that style, from that form.

Jimbo
01-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Actually, I only have contention with this sentence. Form and fighting can be completely different activities, but they can be one and the same too. Dare I say that the real masters master both? Or perhaps for real masters, there is just no distinction.

Actually, let me clarify.

I liken forms to a series of pre-set paragraphs, or better yet, to monologues, as you will sometimes find in audition material for actors. Whereas free-sparring would be like an actual debate with another person. The pre-set paragraphs can definitely aid in laying a foundation for debates. They can help with memory, diction, expression, etc., in a specific language in a predictable, idealized manner that you can practice alone, and make it uniquely your own. Although there can be carry-over, practicing monologues isn't the same as debating.

Using acting again as an analogy, some people excel at performing monologues, but they aren't playing off of or reacting to another actor. In that sense, it's not "alive", regardless of how well-done it is.

So perhaps I was off by saying 'completely different', as in totally unrelated, but I feel that the differences are considerable. I hope that came across in the right way. :)

Of course, if you're a MAist, you may prefer one aspect over the other, but IMO, ideally, you would work to understand as many aspects of your art as you can. Many forms do contain important concepts that can be extracted, drilled hard with partners, and applied, as well as enhancing overall movement, coordination, etc.

Syn7
01-08-2013, 10:29 PM
That's a fair question as 'master' is even harder to define than 'haymaker (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1205206#post1205206)'. I can see where you might draw the 'resting on your laurels' conclusion, given how some self-proclaimed masters behave (ironically, 'resting on your laurels' comes from ancient Greece - former champions were allowed to do so, but only for one year following their victory, not for the rest of their lives). To master something means to have complete knowledge, which of course, begs another question, what defines 'complete'? But take this quote from the Venerable Chan Grandmaster Hua into consideration. He once said, "Education has neither a beginning nor an end. School is wherever we go." Personally, I've always sought out masters that maintained a vital practice, and you can't do that while resting on laurel leaves.

Word to your moms....!!!

Another thoughtful Gene Ching installment.

I have had people come up to me and say I'm so good at something. I never just take the compliment, I can't help it. The more I learn anything, the more I realize one lifetime simply isn't enough. I mean I still gotta make money get laid and raise babies somewhere in there too.

The only way you will see revolutionary beside my name is maybe long after I'm dead or if I was standing on a pile of bodies!
Honestly, I'm so content to do me and just enjoy life with my fam. No time for any of this master ****.

sanjuro_ronin
01-09-2013, 07:09 AM

I should have qualififed that I was referring to TMA of course.
Systems that don't do forms are different of course.
But, look at an elite boxer, more often than not, his shadowboxing will have picture perfect form, but that isn't really the same thing.
What I meant was that, in the TMA that use both forms and fighting, I have found that the best fighters were also very good at forms and that didn't always translate in the reverse.
Maybe it was just me...
I got first place in BB forms in the N.American ITF TKD championships back in the late 80's.
I got first place in BB forms in a couple of Kyokushin competitions.
Just to name a couple.
My instructors tended to advocate forms though, they believed that good form = good fighting skills, of course they never taught flashy forms so...

RenDaHai
01-09-2013, 08:01 AM
But, look at an elite boxer, more often than not, his shadowboxing will have picture perfect form, but that isn't really the same thing.

I agree, but I think it IS the same thing.

The difference between throwing a punch at a face, or a bag, or the air exists only in your mind. Your body should follow the same script.

Watch a K.O in any pro fight. Watch the form, do you have the ability to do the same move? Of course. I have rarely seen a move in a fight that I am incapable of performing just as well. But could I USE it? Not necessarily. Because once you are past the hurdle of physical skill, function exists only in the mind. In its ability to determine when to use a technique and how and most importantly to do it without doubt or hesitation.

But this element of the mind is somewhat intangible.... It comes part from experience sure, but there are so many factors that effect the mind and are dependant on the situation. And a difficult situation is quite by definition one that we are not experienced with, otherwise it would be routine.

SO how do we train for this difficult situation? Well, for some things we can never prepare. And sometimes the time spent trying is wasted. Time spent on form and condition however, is never wasted. That is the trainable element. The tangible element. The predictable element.

The disciple will train his body through hard work and strengthen his mind through contemplation. As a weapon the two are only useful together like a gun and a bullet.

So I think someone who trains Kung Fu should strive for mastery of form and of function. But once he has mastered his own mind he will no longer need to distinguish between the two, like Gene observed.

Golden Arms
01-09-2013, 09:36 AM
In Short Fist Boxing (http://www.appliedcombat.com/?page_id=376), the forms are done just as the fighting is done. The way the moves are used correspond with combinations that come out under pressure. To me that is how martial arts should be done.

Jimbo
01-09-2013, 10:03 AM

The difference between throwing a punch at a face, or a bag, or the air exists only in your mind. Your body should follow the same script.

Watch a K.O in any pro fight. Watch the form, do you have the ability to do the same move? Of course. I have rarely seen a move in a fight that I am incapable of performing just as well. But could I USE it? Not necessarily. Because once you are past the hurdle of physical skill, function exists only in the mind. In its ability to determine when to use a technique and how and most importantly to do it without doubt or hesitation.

But this element of the mind is somewhat intangible.... It comes part from experience sure, but there are so many factors that effect the mind and are dependant on the situation. And a difficult situation is quite by definition one that we are not experienced with, otherwise it would be routine.

SO how do we train for this difficult situation? Well, for some things we can never prepare. And sometimes the time spent trying is wasted. Time spent on form and condition however, is never wasted. That is the trainable element. The tangible element. The predictable element.

The disciple will train his body through hard work and strengthen his mind through contemplation. As a weapon the two are only useful together like a gun and a bullet.

So I think someone who trains Kung Fu should strive for mastery of form and of function. But once he has mastered his own mind he will no longer need to distinguish between the two, like Gene observed.

After reading this post, and on further reflection, this does indeed make a lot of sense. For a MAist, there are many things that are outside of your control in regards to opponents, situations, etc. But among of the factors that ARE within your control are form and conditioning.

And I do believe the mind plays a very big role. Cultivating a mind of non-attachment, etc., beyond the mere intellectual concept of it. Which is MUCH easier said than done.

GeneChing
01-09-2013, 11:20 AM
I agree with both of your explanations and clarifications, but I'm snipping these two quotes just to make a point (and not to troll, which is the more common way to snip quotes out of context, right? :rolleyes:). To use the old SAT analogy structure, shadowboxing: forms; jazz: classical. There's a huge difference between shadowboxing and forms practice from a pedagogical standpoint, and that's significant as 'how to best train' is the key question on all our minds. On the highest levels, just like with jazz and classical, it's just music. For example, look how often the Marsalis Brothers play classical. In the martial arts, or any art for that matter, it can be the same. However, like classical, TMA forms are a laborious process, laden with the cultural baggage we call tradition. In today's fast food nation, tradition is becoming more devalued, but there in lies the root of our culture, the logic that underpins our thinking.

Aww shoot. I just got interrupted by work and forgot where I was going with that. :o

RenDaHai
01-09-2013, 01:10 PM
There's a huge difference between shadowboxing and forms practice from a pedagogical standpoint, and that's significant as 'how to best train' is the key question on all our minds. On the highest levels, just like with jazz and classical, it's just music. For example, look how often the Marsalis Brothers play classical. In the martial arts, or any art for that matter, it can be the same. However, like classical, TMA forms are a laborious process, laden with the cultural baggage we call tradition. In today's fast food nation, tradition is becoming more devalued, but there in lies the root of our culture, the logic that underpins our thinking.

Aww shoot. I just got interrupted by work and forgot where I was going with that. :o

I think I see where you were going.

Shouba are the individual units of form, we can freestyle these together and that is essential traditional training. But the extended compositions are a little different.

Pedagogy encounters the limits of science. Explaining art and learning. You see we can never 'see' inside our subconscious minds. As soon as we bring thought into the conscious we change it. It would take the greatest advancement of science to lift the veil and understand the thought process, but even when we do, you cannot possibly do it in realtime for your own mind. As I say, when you bring it into logic space you change it.

Why am I saying this? Because if science and logic cannot bridge the gap between conscious and unconscious, between Xin and Yi, then what can? We need a language to communicate with our shadow selves.

Art, imagery, mythology, music. These aspects of our culture communicate directly to our instincts. They do it effortlessly. When teaching a child a moral lesson, do you lecture him on ethics? No, you tell him a story. A fable which contains a moral lesson, and without conscious acceptance he understands because the imagery of mythology speaks directly to his instincts. Music can unlock an emotion without a single lyric.

As it is with aspects of our ancient culture. They convey messages forever hidden to our logical abstraction. The forms, Taolu of Kung Fu are such a thing. At the peak of your practice you play in harmony with your inner self and this communication is more valuable to you than any possession. And there are lessons to be learned from aspects of culture that cannot be distilled from their traditions. Not hidden applications nor cruel strategies, but some wordless yet undeniable wisdom.

GeneChing
01-09-2013, 01:25 PM
...but seeing as my earlier post was so two hours ago and I haven't returned to that lost thought whatever it was and I still have other things to attend to so I can't really spare the grey matter to go back for it, we'll go with it and just let it ride.

Thanks for the assist, RDH! ;)

SPJ
01-09-2013, 01:34 PM

Yan Qing leg

There are also good hand drills

and qin na 2 man drills

Great.

:)

JamesC
01-10-2013, 11:41 AM
I watched a short clip of Zhou Bao-Fu talking about the way they train forms. I liked their take on it.

Essentially you only vaguely go through the movements for a while until you have the entire thing completely memorized and won't be confused. A real lazy performance, really.

This is in contrast to a lot of schools that teach you a couple moves at a time and expect you to learn them completely and demonstrate them completely at full speed and power before you learn the next technique.

jdhowland
01-11-2013, 11:01 AM
I watched a short clip of Zhou Bao-Fu talking about the way they train forms. I liked their take on it.

Essentially you only vaguely go through the movements for a while until you have the entire thing completely memorized and won't be confused. A real lazy performance, really.

This is in contrast to a lot of schools that teach you a couple moves at a time and expect you to learn them completely and demonstrate them completely at full speed and power before you learn the next technique.

Interesting. I was taught to do this as an aid to memorization for some of our longer sets. The idea was to do the form quickly without completing each move or fully developing the stances in order to concentrate on the set-as-process and transitions. Then the individual moves would be practiced repeatedly with good form.

Robinhood
01-11-2013, 11:18 AM

He is right, that is how you should do it, if you want to develop yourself, do it the other way and you develop the look good outside look, with empty shell. But forms are not an efficient way to develop anyway, more of a way of passing on movements.