PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk about Weapons

MightyB
01-09-2013, 09:13 AM
One of the things that makes TCMA cool and unique to me is the variety of weapons.

I don't know where this thread will go, but a good start is discussing favorite weapons, drills, and forms - with links whenever possible. I think where TCMA can really excel in regards to other martial arts is in weapons practice so sharing and practicing drills and applications could be a good way for us to go. To me there's no reason why TCMA can't supplant Filipino Martial Arts as the Arts of choice for practical weapons proficiency.

---
Anyway,

One of my favorite weapons is also one of the most basic and that's the dao.

I don't have a good clip of single saber, but here's a pretty cool one of my Sifu doing a traditional double saber (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn1EQscart0) routine.

sanjuro_ronin
01-09-2013, 09:26 AM
I don't do weapons for the sake of tradition anymore.
I trains edge ( knives) and impact weapons ( sticks) for the obvious practical applications.
I also train with firearms when I can ( not often).
I do sword work because I simply enjoy it.

David Jamieson
01-09-2013, 09:37 AM
I still train with staff, short stick, knife, big knife, double edge sword, butterfly knives and occaisionally with halberd (kwan dao) and a claymore.

It's awesome practice. I find the most useful to be staff and short stick as far as what will be readily available and the least life threatening to use in an actual situation.

I'd hate to cut someone when I could just knock them on the head.

Firearms...I don't train them, but I like to shoot with some friends once or twice a year.
Fav is the R700 scoped. That thing is awesome! For a HG I like the Colt 57 Python Patrolman Revolver. I haven't shot a full auto piece in years. Hey, that's Canada for you.

MightyB
01-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Anybody remember Martial Law? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0163949/) I think one of the premises of that show was that he could use anything as a weapon - buckets, brooms, shoes, umbrellas, etc. Is using everything as a weapon a relevant skill to have and is TCMA in a good position to teach and promote that today?

David Jamieson
01-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Anybody remember Martial Law? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0163949/) I think one of the premises of that show was that he could use anything as a weapon - buckets, brooms, shoes, umbrellas, etc. Is using everything as a weapon a relevant skill to have and is TCMA in a good position to teach and promote that today?

Environmental fighting is good training for RBSD in any class.

You should be able to use your environment and what's in it to your tactical advantage if necessary.

GeneChing
01-09-2013, 11:08 AM
...I'm currently working on a piece addressing weapons - well, one weapon in particular - which I use as a jumping off point to discuss non-practical versus practical weapons in a modern day context. As most of you already know, I used to fence and do kendo, which are only street practical if you have a sword handy, and that's not very often, even for me. But I still love swordsmanship and enjoy practicing Shaolin meihuadao (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63256) regularly. That being said, you'll have to wait for this piece to be complete as I don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet. I've set the deadline for mid-April, so be patient. Maybe I'll remember this thread in three months and post it here.

Until then - get your weapons here! (http://www.martialartsmart.com/weapons.html)

SPJ
01-09-2013, 01:31 PM
1 throwing pebbles on hanging papers or cans targets

Rocks are everywhere. Pick a few and practice away.

2 wielding bamboo sticks as a staff or sword

Bamboo is everywhere in southern China and Taiwan.

3 wooden jian in high school kuo shu club

I save shining swords for show or performance.

We practice what we have readily available.

4 PCV staff with foam cushion

5 wax wood staff is the best but expensive to break one

PCV is light and breaks easily too

--

Such is the life.

:)

sanjuro_ronin
01-09-2013, 01:39 PM
...I'm currently working on a piece addressing weapons - well, one weapon in particular - which I use as a jumping off point to discuss non-practical versus practical weapons in a modern day context. As most of you already know, I used to fence and do kendo, which are only street practical if you have a sword handy, and that's not very often, even for me. But I still love swordsmanship and enjoy practicing Shaolin meihuadao (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63256) regularly. That being said, you'll have to wait for this piece to be complete as I don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet. I've set the deadline for mid-April, so be patient. Maybe I'll remember this thread in three months and post it here.

Until then - get your weapons here! (http://www.martialartsmart.com/weapons.html)

Actually, kendo can translate to stick work pretty easily.
What is a broom stick but a "solid shinai", know what I mean?

MasterKiller
01-09-2013, 01:46 PM
I work the Monk Spade and 3-section staff routinely.

Especially right now while I'm rehabbing, just to have something to do besides eat and eat.

Orion Paximus
01-09-2013, 01:46 PM
I will love the staff forever and no one will ever convince me it is not practical. Like Gene, I still like doing Meihuadao and I have 2 jian forms I work on regularly. Weapons practice can be very practical because you can adapt those techniques to items found in the environment.

Bernard
01-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Hello. I'm new to this forum. Don't claim to be a fighter. Kung fu in particular and martial arts in general is a hobby I enjoyed for the past twenty years. Mainly I train at home now with a friend or two.

This sounds like an interesting thread. I personally do a lot of knife work with friends because I feel blades are still relevent today. We put on fencing masks and some pads. We like to use a lot of long range tactics. We find that more often than not the close range stuff end up in a lot exchanges of cuts and stabs.

For kung fu weapons, I like to practice with my butterfly swords just because I think they're really cool and fun! And the more I practice the more crossovers I see in the empty hand work.

Yum Cha
01-09-2013, 02:47 PM
There's a book, Shubumi - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shibumi_(novel) that's all about an assassin that uses common objects as weapons. Great adventure read.

Weapons can be anything. Weapons training to me is more about the use of that core object than the weapon in detail. A cricket bat, baseball bat, cane, Dao, all have similar application, with adjustments for weight. Long staff, med staff, rattan staff, shovel, broom, kwan dao.

Translating skills across weapons is a good objective in weapons training in my own opinion.
I also have a personal thing about not getting attached to any weapon as an object, any one will do, so I get used to accommodating differences in balance, weight, feel, etc..

Favorite non standard weapon I've seen is two pieces of Angle Iron along the forearms, wrapped with an ace bandage, under a light jacket.

taai gihk yahn
01-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Regardless of what TCMA system/weapon u r doing, the most important thing I'd say is start training it as soon as possible; as in day 1; the whole convention of holding back weapons training because its inherently advanced or bec empty hand proficiency is a pre-req is simply nonsense; the benefits of early weapon training far outweigh any potential detriment

GeneChing
01-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Actually, kendo can translate to stick work pretty easily.
What is a broom stick but a "solid shinai", know what I mean? True. Funny, I just posted a news bit on our Bad Day for Samurai Wannabes thread about a sword and mop attack (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1205284#post1205284) and this reminds me of that. :p

Actually, I misspoke a little on that. Kendo was my main practice but along with that I dabbled in Iaido and Battojitsu (http://www.martialartsmart.com/dvd-js001.html). While those arts could translate to stick, they are really skills for edged weapons, so there's more drawing or pulling of the cut as opposed to blunt bashing with a stick.

I work the Monk Spade and 3-section staff routinely. Good one, MK. True to your namesake (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1078). ;)

Bernard
01-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Translating skills across weapons is a good objective in weapons training in my own opinion.
I also have a personal thing about not getting attached to any weapon as an object, any one will do, so I get used to accommodating differences in balance, weight, feel, etc..

Too true. One time after class, I was using a small towel to whip at a classmate. He got angry and charged me. I then used the towel to put him on my back and choked him.

bawang
01-09-2013, 03:43 PM
I don't know where this thread will go, but a good start is discussing favorite weapons, drills, and forms - with links whenever possible.
slicing the pie

Ben Gash
01-10-2013, 07:38 AM
To me there's no reason why TCMA can't supplant Filipino Martial Arts as the Arts of choice for practical weapons proficiency.
The big reason is that FMA schools ALL teach weapon skills by drills and sparring, whereas the bulk of TCMA skills just teach 1 and 2 man forms. Having done Kali the single stick work is pretty much identical to Dao, they just understand it better. As such I teach a variety of single and double stick drills to teach Dao skills.

sanjuro_ronin
01-10-2013, 08:08 AM
There's a book, Shubumi - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shibumi_(novel) that's all about an assassin that uses common objects as weapons. Great adventure read.

Weapons can be anything. Weapons training to me is more about the use of that core object than the weapon in detail. A cricket bat, baseball bat, cane, Dao, all have similar application, with adjustments for weight. Long staff, med staff, rattan staff, shovel, broom, kwan dao.

Favorite non standard weapon I've seen is two pieces of Angle Iron along the forearms, wrapped with an ace bandage, under a light jacket.

Ah, Nicolai Hel...good stuff !
Improvised weaponry should be a must and, with a good core in edge and impact weapons, it is easy to turn anything into a weapon.
Key is principles over specific techniques.

sanjuro_ronin
01-10-2013, 08:10 AM
True. Funny, I just posted a news bit on our Bad Day for Samurai Wannabes thread about a sword and mop attack (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1205284#post1205284) and this reminds me of that. :p

Actually, I misspoke a little on that. Kendo was my main practice but along with that I dabbled in Iaido and Battojitsu (http://www.martialartsmart.com/dvd-js001.html). While those arts could translate to stick, they are really skills for edged weapons, so there's more drawing or pulling of the cut as opposed to blunt bashing with a stick.

Good one, MK. True to your namesake (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1078). ;)

My time training the Yagyu shinkage kenjutsu with the bokuto instilled some stick work that I still use to day.
Very few impact weapons can match a good quality bokuto.

Frost
01-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Before I stopped training with my first master I loved the weapons stuff: main weapons were 6ft and 7ft staffs, butterfly knifes, dao, cane shield and single knife, spear and tigerfork (still got a hand made tigerfork under my bed which was given to me do some students and sifu I helped teach)

When I was solely doing MMA and grappling I stopped all weapon work and developed a dislike for it, now im back also training TCMA my current sifu has a boatload of weapons to teach lol, his masters family arts weapons are legion, add in CLF sets from both hung sing and buck sing we have picked up, the wing chun pole and knifes, and the hakka arts weapons and there are too many to think about lol They are good for body conditioning coordination etc but I can take or leave most of them

The weapons I actually train week in and week out are the pole (our family short pole form, buk sing pole form and the wing chun 6 and a half point form) and the butterfly knifes although I prefer the hakka arts sets to the wing chun or hung gar stuff. I like the pole as it help develop waist power and is practical, i like the butterfly knifes because they are fun :) We also spar pole against knifes regularly. We also work the ratten sticks as well single and double now and then

sanjuro_ronin
01-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Weapons training gives you something that MAY be lost in strictly bare handed fighting and that is a respect for footwork.
Many times in sparring we will "take a shot to give a shot" or to move in, it's a sacrifice play and while still done with footwork to minimize the damage, it can easily degrade.
With weapons and the healthy respect one gets when you get a good solid wack, you learn the immense importance of footwork and angles.

Frost
01-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Weapons training gives you something that MAY be lost in strictly bare handed fighting and that is a respect for footwork.
Many times in sparring we will "take a shot to give a shot" or to move in, it's a sacrifice play and while still done with footwork to minimize the damage, it can easily degrade.
With weapons and the healthy respect one gets when you get a good solid wack, you learn the immense importance of footwork and angles.

yep when we spar butterfly knifes v 6 ft pole (we use a pvc pole but still hurts when hit with it) its the footwork and angling that you really have to watch, as you say i dont mind trading shots empty hand (at 6ft and 230pounds i have an advantage most of the time) , when a 6ft weapon is coming at me my footwork improves alot

sanjuro_ronin
01-10-2013, 08:45 AM
yep when we spar butterfly knifes v 6 ft pole (we use a pvc pole but still hurts when hit with it) its the footwork and angling that you really have to watch, as you say i dont mind trading shots empty hand (at 6ft and 230pounds i have an advantage most of the time) , when a 6ft weapon is coming at me my footwork improves alot

On the button.
When I started doing padded stick work ( Padded as inprotective gear is being worn) I realized that the gear gave me enough protection VS rattan sticks that I was "taking a shot to give a shot" without really noticing it that much.
I stopped the padded body sparring and went with padded sticks and it was an eye opener.

Frost
01-10-2013, 08:50 AM
On the button.
When I started doing padded stick work ( Padded as inprotective gear is being worn) I realized that the gear gave me enough protection VS rattan sticks that I was "taking a shot to give a shot" without really noticing it that much.
I stopped the padded body sparring and went with padded sticks and it was an eye opener.

yep and suddenly some of the silly stances in some of the forms dont seem so silly when a weapon is coming at your head, at your kneecap or straight down the middle trying to spike you in the chest lol,

sanjuro_ronin
01-10-2013, 08:53 AM
yep and suddenly some of the silly stances in some of the forms dont seem so silly when a weapon is coming at your head, at your kneecap or straight down the middle trying to spike you in the chest lol,

Welcome to forms revelation 101, LOL !

MightyB
01-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Along with what you guys are saying about weapons sparring and drills...

Gene - do you think Tiger Claw could stock some polypropylene swords like these?
http://martial-arts-shop.eu/images/products/en/Wing_Chun_Training_Swords_PP_black_GTTCP461.jpg
http://martial-arts-shop.eu/images/products/en/Kung_Fu_Dao_Training_Sword_PP_black_GTTCP501.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wKkQicQLtBg/TVWbKE9O7mI/AAAAAAAAAC8/etsaKcfByfs/s1600/swordbreaker_trainer.gif

Frost
01-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Welcome to forms revelation 101, LOL !

maybe TCMA works better with weapons in hand than lol

MightyB
01-10-2013, 09:08 AM
maybe TCMA works better with weapons in hand than lol

This is what I think, and it's not a bad thing or a negative at all against TCMA. Marketing 101 is to define or create your niche and then own your market. I think it's entirely possible for TCMA to dominate and own the weapons niche. If we can translate solid skills to improvised weaponry...

sanjuro_ronin
01-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Everything works better with weapons in hand.
Imagine the damage a boxer can do with a push dagger in each fist.

MightyB
01-10-2013, 09:33 AM

Horrifying to think about - make sure yours is bigger if you come across that situation. :eek:

sanjuro_ronin
01-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Horrifying to think about - make sure yours is bigger if you come across that situation. :eek:

Perv....
:D

Frost
01-10-2013, 09:34 AM

thats not what i menat and i suspect you know it :)
Alot of the movements in the forms: low stances, shifting of balance, one leg stuff etc are impractical for modern empty hand work, but with a weapon in hand they make alot of sense. maybe a lot of the sets were weapon sets first and were adopted into emptyhand by people used to fighting mainly with weapons and there was a major problem in translation lol

sanjuro_ronin
01-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Alot of the movements in the forms: low stances, shifting of balance, one leg stuff etc are impractical for modern empty hand work, but with a weapon in hand they make alot of sense. maybe a lot of the sets were weapon sets first and were adopted into emptyhand by people used to fighting mainly with weapons and there was a major problem in translation lol

Yes, I know an I agree.
:p

Ben Gash
01-10-2013, 09:52 AM
A lot of stuff makes more sense with a knife, but then a lot of stuff makes more sense in a clinch too. I don't know where this "fancy kickboxing" aesthetic came from really.

Yum Cha
01-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Ah, Nicolai Hel...good stuff !
Improvised weaponry should be a must and, with a good core in edge and impact weapons, it is easy to turn anything into a weapon.
Key is principles over specific techniques.

Learn the techniques, discover the principles, freedom.

David Jamieson
01-10-2013, 02:43 PM
Learn the techniques, discover the principles, freedom.

As demonstrated by young braveheart here.
http://i.imgur.com/6AVGb.gif

MightyB
01-10-2013, 02:50 PM

Too Funny!

ShaolinDan
01-18-2013, 08:32 AM

I think the importance of this CANNOT be underestimated. Combat with or against weapons is very different from empty hand combat.
If we interpret true self-defense/combat to mean the expectation of weapons and/or multiple opponents, then a lot of the TCMA that doesn't quite fit in the ring starts to make more sense.

Bernard
01-18-2013, 09:21 PM
I think the importance of this CANNOT be underestimated. Combat with or against weapons is very different from empty hand combat.
If we interpret true self-defense/combat to mean the expectation of weapons and/or multiple opponents, then a lot of the TCMA that doesn't quite fit in the ring starts to make more sense.

I totally agree. It is interesting to note however that fencing had an influence in western boxing especially before gloves came along. I suspect that it was the same in TCMA.

bawang
01-18-2013, 09:24 PM
I totally agree. It is interesting to note however that fencing had an influence in western boxing especially before gloves came along. I suspect that it was the same in TCMA.

english boxing was a classical martial art. it was common described as fencing with the fists, as elegant and gentlemanly.

http://jmanly.ejmas.com/articles/2005/jmanlyart_austen_0605.htm

1890s article calling modern sport boxing "brutal slugging", the ineffective and awkward old school boxing stance was meant to display elegance and gentlemanly spirit.

Yum Cha
01-18-2013, 10:40 PM

May the Swartz be with you!

YouKnowWho
01-18-2013, 11:13 PM
I have not done TCMA weapon for a long time. This clip was filmed almost 40 years ago (1973?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=429CI7mGL9M&feature=youtu.be

Bernard
01-18-2013, 11:55 PM
english boxing was a classical martial art. it was common described as fencing with the fists, as elegant and gentlemanly.

http://jmanly.ejmas.com/articles/2005/jmanlyart_austen_0605.htm

1890s article calling modern sport boxing "brutal slugging", the ineffective and awkward old school boxing stance was meant to display elegance and gentlemanly spirit.

I enjoyed the article. Thank you for posting the link. Though the author seems to be in favor of the old school boxing method:

"Our best pugilists were generally the most manly and fair fighters; in appearance the effect of their effective hitting was minimized by the skillful manner in which they did it. The appearance of two unskilled men slugging each other is far more brutal, although they would not do nearly as much execution."

Kellen Bassette
01-19-2013, 02:25 AM
Three pages in, this is a pretty good thread. Lots of great insights.

I'm not big on classical weapons, more into firearms...but whenever I feel like I may find myself in a threatening situation I immediately scan the area for a convenient makeshift weapon.

This situational awareness actually comes into play daily for me now, in an unlikely way. Anyone who has been to east or southeast Asia knows there are dogs everywhere. Each morning when I run I have to deal with packs of dogs trying to get on either side of me and bite my legs.

I don't like running with something in my hand so I've adapted to the situation. I just scan the road ahead for the dogs, when I see a few together I just keep running and watch the shoulder. I always find a good stick, stone or something to grab without breaking stride; by the time I reach the dogs.

I never have to use it either. They know exactly what it means when you have something in your hand and raise it menacingly towards them. They back right off and I drop it when I pass them. If you run empty handed though, you'll have to give one a good soccer kick every now and then.

Featherstone
01-29-2013, 10:15 AM
In using two weapons at once, double broad sword, butterfly sword etc.. so any of you have any tips or go to's for those that have a hard time using both arms seemlessly? I have this block to moving fluidly with two weapons for forms and what not. I find it easier if I am engaged with said weapons in a fight or two man form but single form I seem to lock up. Any of you ever have this frustrating issue?

EarthDragon
01-29-2013, 10:38 AM
how can i copy that gif video and share it on FB this is hillarious for tmy sword crew

YouKnowWho
01-29-2013, 10:46 AM
sharing and practicing drills and applications ...
There is one strategy that I like is to "Push your opponent's weapon to the east, you then attack from the west."

To me, the weapon fight is the same as the open hand fight. When you move in, you want to know where your opponent's wepon is. To be able to touch your wepon on your opponent's weapon when you move in is the same as to touch your leading leg against your opponent'e leading leg. At that particular moment, you can decide whether you feel safe to continue your attack, or you don't feel safe and want to retreat. If you want to continue your attack, you use your weapon to press your opponent's weapon away from your moving path (jam his weapon), you then move in through the opposite direction of his weapon.

David Jamieson
01-29-2013, 10:55 AM
In using two weapons at once, double broad sword, butterfly sword etc.. so any of you have any tips or go to's for those that have a hard time using both arms seemlessly? I have this block to moving fluidly with two weapons for forms and what not. I find it easier if I am engaged with said weapons in a fight or two man form but single form I seem to lock up. Any of you ever have this frustrating issue?

I use a method called "mother/son"

If the mother goes somewhere, the son follows.
If the mother catches, the son strikes
If the mother stops, the son goes around.

That sort of thing. It basically teaches the one hand to follow the other and the block/strike, catch strike naturally follows and grows independence in the hands.

Use a striking surface like a Pell (a post to strike at full force with blades, it is wood so it doesn't damages the blades).

Bernard
01-29-2013, 11:31 AM

Just go slow at first then pick up speed. This is where I feel tai chi's slow motion training comes in handy in learning new movements. In Learning double swords, there are times when you may want to focus on one side, then once you got it down, focus in on the other side. Then finally put them together. This approach I find works well in teaching such movements like figure 8 motions with the double swords (Along with the mother/son method David Jamieson mentioned). Hope this helps.

Featherstone
01-29-2013, 12:18 PM
I reckon I just need to give it time. :) The sad part is, I am ambidextrous and still cant twirl twin blades! :mad: Deep breaths and relax!

Syn7
01-29-2013, 12:43 PM
Really, you can perform tasks with either hand without one lacking?

Ahhh, I wish. I can write with both hands at the same time, but it has to be the same thing. :p

I tried to make it so I could write my first name with one hand and my last name with the other. Yeah, lol, not so easy. I can train myself to do certain words, but no free writing. When free, it has to be the same thing. And the left side isn't as pretty. I would not consider myself ambidextrous.

SPJ
01-29-2013, 01:31 PM
To me, the weapon fight is the same as the open hand fight.

Agreed.

Weapon wielding is an extension of our hand moves and body methods.

Great.

:)

MasterKiller
01-30-2013, 01:23 PM
how can i copy that gif video and share it on FB this is hillarious for tmy sword crew

FB won't show animated gifs. I think you can post a link to the URl, though.

GoldenBrain
01-31-2013, 07:27 PM
As a newbie to the forum I'll add my two cents.

I train eyebrow hight staff, single and double sticks, edged weapons with knife being my favorite, and the Dulo Dulo. I also train with Nunchaku's but they are impractical for street defense. A walking cane is also a great weapon.

IMHO if you train sticks then you are also training knives or short swords and staff training translates to the spear. Training sticks is extremely useful because they can be found nearly everywhere such as in the form of fallen branches in the yard or street, broom/mop handles...etc. Of course it would probably look really funny to wield a mop around to beat somebody about their head, but I'd do it if I had to.

Kellen Bassette
02-01-2013, 05:04 AM
A walking cane is also a great weapon.

I always thought a walking cane could be practical, since it's something you could actually carry in the street. Still, it's somewhat funny to me to see the cane forms with complex moves, jumps and spins. You got to figure if a guy needs a cane he probably won't be able to move like that. :p

I guess a young guy without an injury can carry a cane, but it's pretty weird unless he has a tux, top hat and monocle to go along with it. Then he's probably just asking to get jumped. :rolleyes:

Frost
02-01-2013, 06:27 AM
I always thought a walking cane could be practical, since it's something you could actually carry in the street. Still, it's somewhat funny to me to see the cane forms with complex moves, jumps and spins. You got to figure if a guy needs a cane he probably won't be able to move like that. :p

I guess a young guy without an injury can carry a cane, but it's pretty weird unless he has a tux, top hat and monocle to go along with it. Then he's probably just asking to get jumped. :rolleyes:

i have a stick i sometimes take with me when walking the dog, im 6ft and 230 pounds so people tend to not jump me stick or no stick, and with the amount of injuries i have from grappling, MMA and powerlifting i actually need the stick sometimes lol :eek:

And our system has a walking cane form, but to be honest i prefer to use it the same way as my master family style short stick form, lots of basic stabs, full body swings, angles hits and butts/punches with the end section of the stick, simple and effective

GeneChing
02-01-2013, 10:09 AM
...should be up in two months. Stay tuned. ;)

MasterKiller
02-01-2013, 10:25 AM
http://i.imgur.com/YpmyG3f.jpg

Lucas
02-01-2013, 10:47 AM
man that sword really compliments your back fat!

Scott R. Brown
02-01-2013, 11:07 AM

I agree with Bernard!

1) Start with large movements performed slowly,
2) Tighten the movements and slowly increase the speed as your muscle memory improves
3) Continue to tighten and increase speed as your skill improves.

I also agree with practicing one had at a time sometimes.

I taught myself to throw the football left handed about 20 years ago. I throw a better spiral left-handed even though I have been throwing a football for about 47 years, but I only throw about 2/3 to 4/5 as far left-handed than right-handed though.

Scott R. Brown
02-01-2013, 11:07 AM
http://i.imgur.com/YpmyG3f.jpg

I look very smart now that I have lost all that weight, don't I!

Chicks Dig ME!:D

Kellen Bassette
02-01-2013, 02:08 PM
i have a stick i sometimes take with me when walking the dog, im 6ft and 230 pounds so people tend to not jump me stick or no stick, and with the amount of injuries i have from grappling, MMA and powerlifting i actually need the stick sometimes lol :eek:

Anything to give you the advantage...that's the essence of traditional..dirty fighting, especially for a little guy like myself.

I think of strange things to use all the time. Today I was walking back in the woods, down a snowmobile trail to my cabin. We get a lot of idiot out of state guys here who will blow by you at 90 mph and not move over at all if your walking along the trail. I've almost been hit, even having moved well off the trail, by inconsiderate out of towners. I think of what would happen if I yelled at some guy or threw something in retaliation and he gets off the sled to rumble.

It's a weird situation, your dressed so heavily, kicks would have to be waist or lower, joint locking is greatly hindered, you got heavy gloves so you lose a little in punching and the dude on the sled has the distinct advantage of having a helmet to take off and clock you on the head with. (Or leave on so you can't hit him in the head.)

Today I had a Gatorade bottle of gas to put on my spark plugs if my sled wouldn't start. I figured I got enough time to open the bottle of gas to throw in my imaginary attackers eyes; and get the glove off my right hand for a follow up punch.

I don't know if I'm paranoid or bored, lol.

I've had idiots swerve right next to me while I was hunting along the trail before. It takes a pretty stupid person to be that disrespectful of a guy with a shotgun. They do that to someone wired a bit looser than me and they might not be found 'til spring. :eek:

Oh well, It's only 'til April. Then they're gone, until the salmon run in the fall...

Lucas
02-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Next time you're hunting and that happens let a shot off into the ground right after just to make them sheet themselves.

Kellen Bassette
02-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Next time you're hunting and that happens let a shot off into the ground right after just to make them sheet themselves.

I almost did once...those kind of people will end up wrapped around a tree or taking a head on with another sled, going over a blind hill on the wrong side of the trail...just wish natural selection was a bit quicker. :D

GeneChing
06-10-2020, 07:46 AM
I'm presenting a webinar on 'Authenticity and Chinese Weapons' as part of the USAWKF Online Seminar Series. This is one of seven LIVE Zoom sessions on Chinese Martial Arts. My session is 7PM EDT or 4PM PDT. Visit the USAWKF website (https://www.usawkf.com/page.php?ID=24) or the USAWKF Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/usawkf) for details.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EaKBQtFVAAAynW_?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EaKBqDdUwAIW7qs?format=jpg&name=large

THREADS
Let-s-Talk-about-Weapons (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?65108-Let-s-Talk-about-Weapons)
My-personal-blog (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71788-My-personal-blog)

GeneChing
06-13-2020, 12:28 PM
I am presenting a special webinar “Authenticity and Chinese Weapons” today at 4PM PDT.