PDA

View Full Version : Hey British People!

MightyB
01-10-2013, 12:04 PM
With strict firearm control in place, are martial arts more useful on your side of the pond?

Ben Gash
01-10-2013, 12:12 PM
No, because violent crime in general is lower. Murder rate here is under 1 in 100,000.

Grumblegeezer
01-10-2013, 12:28 PM
No, because violent crime in general is lower. Murder rate here is under 1 in 100,000.

That doesn't mean you folks don't like to scrap. We Yanks wouldn't kill each other so often if we had to beat each other to death by hand. Heck, that's hard work. You like statistics? Check out out our obesity rate! LOL :p

pazman
01-10-2013, 01:01 PM

Where is your statistic for stating violent crime is lower in the UK? I find that hard to believe.

The problem in the US is gun crime, but overall violent crime has been on a 20 year slide downwards.

RenDaHai
01-10-2013, 01:31 PM
British people love a ruck!

Classic Boxing is English. Its been a legitimate way of solving an argument for centuries.

In my experience of travelling the world, English people are less likely to go for a weapon, but more likely start a fight. But we do respect a fair fight.

Lots of punch ups in pubs. But using anything as a weapon is dishonourable, it has a higher penalty in the law, and if you glass someone or hit a bouncer the whole bar will turn against you. There are rules.

There are a lot of punch ups because people know they are not going to get shot because no one has a gun. So people aren't afraid of being a little aggressive. I would watch what I say a lot closer in the states because I know someone might have a gun.

Are Martial arts more useful?

Sure, if you like to get ****ed up in dive bars and chat up loose women. But the truth is most of these punch ups are completely avoidable if your not an arsehole.

The fights that are unavoidable, the predatory attacks by criminals, they'll still use a knife. So MA have their limits in this case.

Ben Gash
01-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Where is your statistic for stating violent crime is lower in the UK? I find that hard to believe.

The problem in the US is gun crime, but overall violent crime has been on a 20 year slide downwards.

Most Americans I talk to find it hard to believe, they seem to think we have stabbings on a par with American shootings.
While guns play a big factor in American violent crime, the gross inequality of your society, the lack of a social safety net and the huge grey-black economy this creates and the fact that we don't (thank the lord) have a meth problem here are probably of equal importance.
I appear to have applied English data to the whole UK, it's actually 1.3 per hundred thousand.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jan/20/murder-rate-lowest-12-years
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18900384

Yum Cha
01-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Something that surprised me, England has more violent crime than the US, however the US has more murders. This vid has references, and I found it kinda interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooa98FHuaU0

Ben Gash
01-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Something that surprised me, England has more violent crime than the US, however the US has more murders. This vid has references, and I found it kinda interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooa98FHuaU0

LOL that he goes on about being selective about stats and then assumes like for like. Crime is recorded differently here, and we don't have misdemeanours. We also have high reporting rates.

Ben Gash
01-10-2013, 02:52 PM
The data presented in Crime in the United States reflect the Hierarchy Rule, which requires that only the most serious offense in a multiple-offense criminal incident be counted
hmm, so not an accurate tool for comparison then

Kellen Bassette
01-10-2013, 06:30 PM
I think it's important to point out the vast cultural differences that exist in the States when you talk about gun crime. Rural America is armed to the teeth but gun crime remains very rare. The overwhelming majority of it is in inner cities and usually drug or gang related.
It seems Europeans tend to paint us with some pretty broad strokes when they mention numbers. You got to realize that Harlem and the Adirondacks, 3 hours apart, may as well be different worlds, socially, culturally, politically...I think a lot of people from smaller countries have no appreciation of the vastness and diversity of cultures here.
Even when you take major cities, there's huge differences...I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I remember I was living in the New Orleans area, pre Katrina, and I heard the prior years murder rates. New Orleans had about the same murders as New York City. (I forget which was higher, but they were real close.) New York City proper, (not the metro area,) had a population 8 times higher than New Orleans proper, at that time. Same number of murders.

Just my 2 cents.

YouKnowWho
01-10-2013, 07:15 PM
With strict firearm control in place, are martial arts more useful on your side of the pond?

Last time I was in Canada, I saw 3 fist fights in 2 weeks. It seems to me that when firearm is not available, people may have more intention to get into fight.

Paul T England
01-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Depends on where you live in the uk....generally most shooting are drug/gang related....Knife, bottle, glass attacks are common enough but awareness and selection of your drinking location reduces risks by a huge percentage.

Paul

Ben Gash
01-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Just found this which explains the gross disparity

The FBI’s Uniform Crime Reports defines a violent crime as one of four specific offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault.

Syn7
01-12-2013, 05:23 PM

Violent crime is down in ALL the westernized democracies. Womens rights, more ethnic equality, Roe V Wade, social media. It's all having a somewhat positive effect in a general sense. Certain crimes go up and down, of course, but on average, crime is down down down. Don't believe the hype.

A ban on high powered rifles will simply make it harder to take out so many so fast. It does NOT address the underlying problem. You know what does? all the things i stated above, equality and honest communication and discussion. You know what else will help in America? Not being "fair and balanced", having the balls to take a side and fight for it. The media needs to start being honest with themselves. No station is "fair and balanced". They make a feeble effort to appear that way then state that it is so. Just man up already. Take a stand. A real one. Not the kind of stand you forget about in a few weeks when it's not a hot topic anymore. Memories are short up in here, and that is dangerous as ****!

MightyB
01-16-2013, 01:40 PM
British women do the best ebay listings.

http://theoriginalgreenwichdiva.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Aimi-Jones.jpg

mawali
01-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Not being "fair and balanced", having the balls to take a side and fight for it. The media needs to start being honest with themselves. No station is "fair and balanced". They make a feeble effort to appear that way then state that it is so. Just man up already. Take a stand. A real one. Not the kind of stand you forget about in a few weeks when it's not a hot topic anymore. Memories are short up in here, and that is dangerous as ****!

Fair and balanced seems simple enough but it involves stating a fact (observation) with the corresponding video then NEXT reel, etc. What I see nowadays is news as entertainment with political crap masquerading as what they call news, which it normally isn't!

It is media because thay all put commercials around the same time! I tried to turn to 3 channels and they all, for the most part had commercials in unison. They get paid, run the comedy political scheme and return next day for same.
My father used to listen to BBC but I use to hate it but now it is refreshing just to hear news withouth the BS. Believe it or not Al Jazira (not Al Jareau:D) does news that US will never put on the air!

Syn7
01-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Oh I believe it. I know it. Al Jazeera is a Qatari publication. They are a HUGE US ally and the also house the largest US base in the middle east. Yet people see the name and assume fundamentalist Muslim bias. And yes, of course Qataris have a Muslim bias, just as we have a christian bias. But that has nothing to do with whether they report truth or not. It was sad to watch FOX news **** on Al Gore for selling current to them when FOX news itself is owned in large part by Saudi royalty. Another ally. So what is it? Are middle eastern allies good or bad? This is what is wrong with cablenews. Truth doesn't even matter. Ofcourse I don't actually consider Foxnews to be news at all.

Anyways... As far as somewhat non propaganda stations go....

In the US, and increasingly seeping into other western democracies, fair and balanced means giving a republican and a democrat equal talking time regardless of the facts. Why has this gotten so bad specifically over the last few years? Why is what was normal 10 years ago a radical thought now?

Simple.... Citizens United. The media knows who pays their bills. They aren't gonna bite the hand that feeds them. Lemme break it down. Pacs can now raise unlimited funds, these funds move into various campaigns and what's left ends up in the pockets of those who are a part of the process I am laying out. So these campaigns get all this money. How do they spend a good bulk of it? Advertising. These media corps make a TON of money off these ads. Also you have to look at direct corporate manipulation without the gov. middlemen. You see those BP commercials on CNN that don't actually sell anything? They just say BP is great and they care. So of course part of that is PR, but the main motivation is to keep their foot on the networks. When was the last time you heard CNN **** all over BP? Not since you started seeing those commercials, I'll tell you that much.

So what does the media do? They avoid offending any sponsor, political or corporate, and they give equal coverage to both sides regardless of whether one side is totally full of ****. They give them a platform to manipulate opinion and very rarely do they challenge these people in a meaningful way. Pretty much every major anchor these days that does take a stand gets axed eventually. Usually over some other dirt dug up as some excuse. It's sad.

Did you hear about a top Cnet editor or writer that left recently? They had awards for all these electronic products and the one that won was a device that allowed you to record and skip commercials from a digital feed. This product was nominated and won the category then a few weeks later they removed it from the line up, even after it had already won, but had not been announced yet. So this guy took a stand and quit. This is what is wrong with the corporate world in general. No facts, all propaganda that usually has just enough truth to appear credible. And the people fall for it every time. Sad. Wake the **** up already! Yeah sure some of us here know, but most people don't know and don't care. And that is why we deserve what we get as a whole and people like me and you have to suffer these bull**** scenarios.

MightyB
01-17-2013, 10:00 AM
The media knows who pays their bills. They aren't gonna bite the hand that feeds them.

Now you understand why Mitt wanted to cut funding PBS. It has everything to do with a free and public media source that's free from corporate control and we can't have that in America.
http://m.static.newsvine.com/servista/imagesizer?file=cagle8B2B7A2B-A391-5F33-B213-E6C2F5356BCF.jpg&width=600