PDA

View Full Version : Abtronic?

KungFuGuy!
11-04-2001, 07:15 AM
I just saw an infomercial for some belt-like thing that supposedly gives you washboard abs and takes all the fat off your belly area while you sit and watch tv. They even guaranteed it'll work or you get your money back. It only costs about $120.
Has anyone ever heard of it? Is this for real?

IronFist
11-04-2001, 07:55 AM
"money back ads."

First of all, most people are too lazy to return to the product, so they get to keep those people's money.

Secondly, even if you do send it back, they've had your money sitting in a bank making interest for your 30 day trial period, so even if they give you a full refund they still come away with a profit.

That's how "money back ads" make their money. It has nothing to do with their confidence in their product, it has to do with people being too lazy to take them up on their money back offer.

Oh yeah, by the way, that product is probably crap :)

Iron

IronFist
11-04-2001, 07:56 AM
So, instead of spending $120 on that, I'd invest $35 in Pavel's book "bullet proof abs." You'll get a lot more out of it, in my opinion.

While I've never read Bullet Proof Abs, I've read two of his other books and I can say Pavel definately knows what he's talking about.

Iron

KungFuGuy!
11-04-2001, 10:20 AM
Well that makes sense.
I figured it would be crap, it's just too good to be true. Although I hope someone who has tried the product will reply...

IronFist
11-04-2001, 11:06 AM
Hey KungFuGuy!, one more thing. If anything claims to be able to "take the fat off" of a problem area, it's lying. You cannot remove fat from just one area of the body (short of liposuction). The only way to reduce fat in your stomach, for example, is to reduce fat all over. Your body will burn fat at your genetically predisposed rate. That's why some girls, for example, have fat thighs, other's have fat butts, other's have "love handles." It's not because they exercise a certain way, it's because their genetic code tells their body to put the fat there. If they start burning the fat off, their bodies' will most likely lose the fat all over, proportionally.

Make sense? You can't get rid of fat in just one area. The theory that you can do that is called "spot reduction," and it has been scientifically disproven numerous times. In other words, doing crunches does not get rid of belly fat any more than adductor and abductor machines get rid of leg fat.

So, how to lose fat? Diet and cardio. You will have a six pack once your body fat is low enough (generally at 10% and lower for males), provided you have worked the muscles enough for them to be visible.

Iron

ElPietro
11-04-2001, 07:29 PM
I'm sure there would have been a disclaimer like 100% of all the other fitness infomertials that will say "with proper diet".

It's BS, save your money.

soy
11-05-2001, 02:40 AM
Yeah I'd putty my money on that thing being bs. Getting a six pack isnt hard, it just takes time.

Alvar
11-05-2001, 11:30 AM
KungFuGuy!, Kung Fu training is best for you! :)
(minimum: 6x2h per week)

ElPietro
11-05-2001, 05:38 PM
Fat doesn't conduct electricity very well...so you'd get contractions if you were already ripped but if yer a fat-a$$ it won't do much at all. And as others have said you can't spot reduce fat anyway...diet is the key...there is no magical forumla.

SifuAbel
11-06-2001, 08:46 AM
Bruce Lee used electro-stimulation, then again he is dead. Go figure.

Are you immortal?

sifuabel@yahoo.
com

KungFuGuy!
11-06-2001, 08:56 AM
Well I'm not fat, but I don't exactly have bodybuilderish abs. I think I may buy it and see how it works, then return it for my money back if it doesn't live up to my expectations. The above post reminds me of another concern, do you think this thing might actualy cause harm to my body? That's the only thing that is keeping me from trying it out.

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-11-2001, 11:00 PM
i was wondering if it would be good to put on after an ab workout.

in theory it would rip them down more giving you better results.

in theory the george foreman gril is a great way to cook meet too though . .. .

where's my beer?

wingchun.com
11-12-2001, 03:10 AM
Wow, that book looks great!
I'm ordering a copy now from Amazon.com.
Perhaps I can wear down that protective layer around my abs after all. :D