PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using creatine?

Emil
09-23-2000, 09:50 PM
Worthwhile? How often do you take it? Just looking
for that little extra.

TIA,
Emil

8stepsifu
09-23-2000, 10:00 PM
I did, but my Sifu recomended against it. I talked to the buff guy at GNC and he said that is actually a salt that keeps fluid in your muscles to make them look better and it's used by body builders for "results" it doesn't seem to actually give you added strength or endurance. It seemed to work when I was trying to look buff, but It might just be placebo power.

8Step Sifu

sct82abn
09-23-2000, 10:29 PM
no offense 8step,you are one of the few who post intelligently around here,but what does your sifu know about supplements?

you must not have taken it long enough to see results,which i don't understand,i saw mine within a week and i workout everyday(before taking creatine).

as for the amount to take just follow the recommended dose.first 4 days 1 teaspoon every 4 hours(loading phase),after that 1 teaspoon a day.

it does increase water to your muscles strengthening muscle fibers and encouraging cell regrowth.

i started loading on a friday and by monday i was reping 5 more on my max.

i'm not working out for mass either,just good tone and strength.

[This message was edited by sct82abn on 09-24-00 at 03:41 PM.]

denali
09-23-2000, 11:15 PM
http://64.45.4.12/indexcreatine.html

there you can read all sides of the story..

Dragon Spirit
09-23-2000, 11:58 PM
actually I have been takeing creatine for a little while now, although I beleive I may have been somehow takeing it incorrectly I am finding it working... sorta. I would say give it a try for about two weeks u should see some results, nothing huge but then again its not like a freein steroid lol.

8StepStudent
09-24-2000, 12:41 AM
Our Sifu knows a lot when it comes to supplement stuff. In fact we have an article hanging up about creatine. He does blood work and he knows a lot about herbs, in fact he and a fellow Sifu own an herbal store, so don't make assumptions about what Sifus know until you know them and their backgrounds.

8stepsifu
09-24-2000, 12:43 AM
No offense taken. My Sifu showed an article from the American Medical Journal on creatine showing no effects in controlled settings. Thats why he advised against it. This coupled with the GNC guy lead me to believe that it wasn't worth buying any more. I did feel like I got more out of my workout, but creatine is nothing compared to an herbal formula that I tried. I think its called "the athletes formula" anyway it increases circulation, helps you put on weight and puts chi in your muscles. Its got some ginseng, licorice root, orange peels, it tastes like ass, but gives you awesome endurace and strength gains

8Step Sifu

sct82abn
09-24-2000, 01:08 AM
thanks for the reply 8stepSIFU,i'll have to check that out.

8stepSTUDENT,i don't know if you thought i was referring to you,but i wasn't,i was asking what his sifu knew about supplements.

i might be crazy but i don't associate most sifus with degrees in sports medicine.

jimmy23
09-24-2000, 01:56 AM
ok guys,propaganda 101.
When it comes to sports supplements ,the AMA doesnt know jack.Flame all you want,they say that steroids dont enhance athletic ability(right!),and for years said that vitamin ,mineral and protein supplementation were also not useful.Of course,now they have reversed this stance,about 20 years after the athletic community did so.
If you want to see what works,look at pro sports.Creatine WORKS,and works well for whatit is intended for.It helps muscles retain fluids,enhances recovery,ups ATP production,and increases EXPLOSIVE strength.It will not increase endurance,and will mainly assist you in the 3-5 rep range.Thus,very short burst type movements will be enhanced by it.Thus,NFL and baseball players,whose careers are dependent on this type of strength,all use creatine
It may assist your martial arts technicques,or it may not.My advice,if you dont have technicque then a small amount of ehanced explosiveness really wont help you.If you are static now in your skill gains,creatine might help you a bit,but I really dont think it as valuable for martial artists as it is for weightlifters.I am an avid weightlifter,so I really dont think Im biased against it,just practical.

jojitsu27
09-24-2000, 02:21 AM
I used Creatine a year and a half ago for awhile, because all my friends were using it and going on about how much it added to their strength. After three weeks I had added 35lbs to my bench press, but found myself having constant S-h-i-t attacks.
I decided that bowel normality was more important than the extra strength the Creatine gave me and ditched it.
Maybe it was a placebo type thing, maybe it really did add to my strength, but the constant poop attacks dehydrated my pretty bad and stained my underwear too much.
-jojitsu27

Shinakira
09-24-2000, 02:31 AM
i to am a creatine supporter... my training buddy dragon spirit also uses this supplement.

he gave me some of the powder crap... it really tastes nastey, and gets caught in your throught.

I recoment the serum, its more potent, and there is no loading required.... Tastes like good childrens cough medicine!!!

8StepStudent
09-24-2000, 02:31 AM
8StepSifu and I study under the same Sifu although his training is complete as far as for becoming a Sifu, so when you said that to 8StepSifu, you kinda said it to me too.

Kyoshu
09-24-2000, 05:26 AM
"I used Creatine a year and a half ago for awhile, because all my friends were using it and going on about how much it added to their strength. After three weeks I had added 35lbs to my bench press, but found myself having constant S-h-i-t attacks."

Don't worry Jo, this happens to some. Try the liqiud form that comes with the little drip (can't remeber the brand, but will look that up for ya). You can take it 10 mins before a work out and don't have to worry about loading.

I find creatine to be very useful in enhancing you perfomance, not only in muscle strength, but mucle endurance as well.

totallyfrozen
09-24-2000, 09:17 AM
I used to use it alot.
I noticed a differnce. I was stronger and had more endurance. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
All of a sudden, drinking it made me feel crappy and almost sick...like my body didn't like it anymore. I quit using it.
I heard later that it's really hard on your liver. I haven't researched this so I don't know for sure if this is true...could be, who knows.
Maybe that's why my body started rejecting it...maybe not.

Bottom line: Not every suppliment is for everyone and not every suppliment is for you for a long time.
I was fine for awhile (several months), then, I my body just started NOT liking it anymore.

I wasn't taking an enormous amount, either. Just one glass a day. I followed the directions on the jar. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Oh well. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

"There is only ONE karate"

cRoMiKaZiE
09-24-2000, 12:05 PM
Guys... It sounds like the majority of u really should go research the effects of this FOOD supplement. It is practically ATP that muscles require for short bursts of intense action; however u should be getting enough of this already in your diet through eating meat. but maybe some ppl aren't so it may be beneficial. its likely that our bodies cannot store any more ATP than what we are made to, therefore we have to dispose of it somehow, this could lead to problems.. i've heard alot of bad side effects such as cramps, dehydration, headaches etc... please look into it b4 taking it, it's important to know what u r putting into your body!
GOOD LUCK

...It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees...

jimmy23
09-24-2000, 04:59 PM
the reason some docxters think it may cause liver damage is that the breakdown product of creatine is creatinease (I think guys ,sorry biochem isnt my strength),this is also a substance that occurs in liver damage situations.However,with creatine intake it should be obvious that this is the extra creatine taken "cycling out" of the body.Go to the Muscle Media site and you can find hundreds of links to universuty creatine studies.To date,all "evidence" of damage from creatine is conjectural(docters say it might cause it,but can offer no clear mechanisms or instances of damage from creatine use).However I agree to educate yourself about your body,thats part of martial arts anyway(or should ne).

phantom
09-24-2000, 08:40 PM
Guys nobody knows what the long-term effects of the stuff is. Keep in mind that a person who has heart problems may be unable to do iron palm training. Just some food for thought. Peace.

Kung Lek
09-24-2000, 08:56 PM
Hi -just reading through here.

I read that 8step sifu uses an herbal formula that uses licorice root.
It is known that licorice root decreases testosterone output dramatically, which in turn is a stifler to sexual activity as well as physical endurance and stamina in martial practice.
The rest of the stuff sounds to be a pretty good mix. t used to be thought that licorice root would raise "Yang" energy in the body but this was a superfluous effect of the root and not the reality.

Personally, I do not use any supplements whatsoever with the exception of medicinal liniments and herbs when I get injured and antioxidant teas during training and for cleaning the internals. I have always been of the view that I still haven't gone far enough on my own steam and I'll rethink it at the end of the track.

peace, and remember, there are no shortcuts in achieving Kung Fu you gotta work long and you gotta work hard to get it.

Kung Lek

8stepsifu
09-25-2000, 07:42 PM
Locrice and genseng were the only things I could recognize. The rest looked like a forest floor. My kung fu brothers and I swear by it. I don't think its just a yang booster. I'm not an herbologist yet so all I can say is that it boosted by athletic potential and helped me put on weight.

8Step Sifu

grasshopper
09-25-2000, 10:13 PM
TOTALLYFROZEN-I used creatine for a while and also saw results.I had an occasional h/a from it.someone said here it doesn't raise endurance but it did mine ,that was the main reason I used it.
any way what I wanted to tell you was my brother and his friends are serious weight lifters,they warned me to use creatine for 6months or less @ a time,then spend an equal amount of time off of it,they said otherwise it may do what it did to you,plus it loses its effectiveness. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

"stop trying to hit me and HIT ME"

Tigerdragon
10-02-2000, 04:16 PM
I had a bad back injury a while back. This caused me to stop working out for a long while. Add to that some depression due to some tragedies in my life, and I ended up at 200lbs (my ideal wheight is 170 with good muscle tone) and benching a wopping 120lbs. Now, I am taking a creatine/atp supplement to sort of put me on the fast track to where is was, when I get there I will stop, and do the rest naturaly. I have seen the benefits, and have not had any side effects. The moral of the story is: Set a goal, when you get there stop taking it, and only take vitamins when training.

Bduran
10-04-2000, 06:36 PM
And what about ephedrine????

phantom
10-04-2000, 06:38 PM
I think I have read that ephedrine can give you heart problems.

jimmy23
10-04-2000, 07:56 PM
ephedra is safe for short term use and is a decent broncio dialator(helps ya breathe).Ephedra mixed with caffiene and aspirin is one of the few fat burning cocktails that all agree work,even the AMA.If you use it,use 2 or 3 days on and 2 or 3 days off as your can build a tolerence for it pretty quick.

DrunkenMonkey
10-05-2000, 04:17 AM
Creatine is just a lower form of Anabolic Steroids in its ethical form.

In more physical terms, it causes increased thirstiness, liver damage and kidney damage.

Underaged Drunken Monkey

jimmy23
10-05-2000, 06:22 AM
Creatine is NOT a lower form of anabolic steroids.Creatine works by supplying the exact form of protein your body needs to add fast twitch muscle fibers.Anabolic steroids work by altering the hormonal levels of the athlete.To say that creatine is a steroid because it causes muscular growth is like saying that 4 cans of tuna a day,in addition to ones normal diet,will also cause muscle growth and is therefore also a steroid is ridiculous.

house of chang
10-05-2000, 09:18 AM
screw this creatine crap! it swells you up and the moment you stop regularly taking it, you lose all that you "gained" from it. and as for the stacking of ephedrine, caffeine and all that other bull****... come on, get real. that is so unhealthy for you. all it takes is dedicated training. sure, i take multivitamins and supplements that are already present in my body but that's where i draw the line. this is, of course, my own opinion. if you feel you need the dry-mouthed, non-food, swollen body form of "working out" by all means, do it. after all, it is YOUR body. best of luck...

Train Hard!

GeneChing
12-29-2017, 03:10 PM
This ttt is part of my KFT&H revitalization attempt.

I dabbled in creatine back in the day, probably a little after this thread was active. I didn't see any effect. Then I started getting weird neck pains, so I got off it quickly.

Meanwhile, in India...
Unlicensed body building supplements likely to face ban (http://www.hindustantimes.com/health/unlicensed-body-building-supplements-likely-to-face-ban/story-A9SoP3EGBwrx6UU5Nua5xH.html)
Though the protein supplement is not banned, associations representing body builders and doctors said unlicensed brands could be selling spurious versions that could damage kidneys and cause other complications.
HEALTH Updated: Dec 28, 2017 23:14 IST
Sadaguru Pandit
Mumbai, Hindustan Times

http://www.hindustantimes.com/rf/image_size_960x540/HT/p2/2017/12/28/Pictures/burning-calories-kettlebell-strengthening-her-core-with_bd3c5522-ebf5-11e7-ad70-11504944e689.jpg
Creatine Monohydrate is used to increase strength and grow muscle tissue. It’s known to rapidly produce energy and support higher cellular function during training and competitions. (Getty Images)

Food safety officers in all states and Union Territories have been asked to stop the unlicensed sale of Creatine Monohydrate — a popular supplement used by body builders.

Though the protein supplement is not banned, associations representing body builders and doctors said unlicensed brands could be selling spurious versions that could damage kidneys and cause other complications.

The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, in a letter issued on December 21, informed the Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) in the states that Creatine Monohydrate was being manufactured and sold without necessary FSSAI licence. The activities are deemed illegal under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006.

Creatine Monohydrate is used to increase strength and grow muscle tissue. It’s known to rapidly produce energy and support higher cellular function during training and competitions. The substance is not banned by most body building or athletic organisations since its consumption is not considered doping.

“We got several complaints that the supplement is being sold online and through Food Business Operators (FBOs) illegally, which increases the risk of duplicate or spurious product being passed on as well. We have served notices to several popular online shopping websites to remove supplements with this component,” said an FSSAI official.

Officials from FDA Maharashtra said they would soon start the crackdown on FBOs to prevent illegal manufacturing and sale. “We will go through the details and instructions of FSSAI and take necessary action,” Pallavi Darade, FDA commissioner, said.

Body building associations and doctors welcomed the move, saying the country needed a blanket ban on all supplements manufactured, sold or prescribed illegally to amateur or professional fitness enthusiasts. They added that this would aid their battle against doping and illegal sale.

“We are against any kind of performance enhancer or supplement as body building isn’t strictly dependent on intake of supplements. The issue is that so-called popular companies sell the supplements by bribing trainers and make huge profits,” said Chetan Pathare, general secretary of Indian Body Building Federation.