PDA

View Full Version : Girl'z Got Skillz

LaRoux
02-05-2013, 09:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3OgpLmtQuE

taai gihk yahn
02-05-2013, 10:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3OgpLmtQuE

yes - she seems to be particularly adept at blocking with her face... :rolleyes:

LaRoux
02-05-2013, 11:42 AM
yes - she seems to be particularly adept at blocking with her face... :rolleyes:

And you would do better?

maxattck
02-05-2013, 06:56 PM
I thought she did an awsome job. Her opponent had a much greater reach advantage, she did a good job closing the gap to lands her strikes . It seemed he was only half trying, and his foot work wasnt very good. I would give her the fight she landed more cleaner strikes.

-N-
02-05-2013, 07:47 PM
She had clean single attacks. No combinations. No power. Ok only for point sparring and playing tag.

Really annoying bounce habit, run like girl circling, and wierd gangnam style footwork. Really typical for female point fighters.

She should give up on her low kicks. Lots of noise but totally ineffective.

Lucky that guy wasn't very good and was holding back as well.

9 minute video. Ugh. I kept watching because I thought it was going to get better. Reminds me of when I accidentally watched a whole Van Damme thinking the same thing.

SimonM
02-05-2013, 08:14 PM
It was irresponsible to put two people with that significant a size and reach differential into a fight together and call it "real".

Notwithstanding relative skill levels he had enough power to knock her down with a lazily executed defensive technique. He also had about a foot in reach on her. I sympathize for both - that was not a matchup with any possible winner.

Kevin73
02-06-2013, 06:06 AM
It was irresponsible to put two people with that significant a size and reach differential into a fight together and call it "real".

Notwithstanding relative skill levels he had enough power to knock her down with a lazily executed defensive technique. He also had about a foot in reach on her. I sympathize for both - that was not a matchup with any possible winner.

Agreed, there was a point (sorry, just kind of skimmed it) when she got close and he just kind of grabbed onto her gi and moved her around some. In a real fight, he would have blasted her and thrown her hard onto the ground.

Now, if by "real" they mean an unscripted sparring match, then yes this was "real".

Lucas
02-06-2013, 05:52 PM
idk i didnt watch much past the first couple camera angle switches, skimmed forward a few times.... just looked way too staged to me especially with those angle switches... you know with the half assing, the tekken pants and the over all feel of the video... i know it says 'real fight' under the video, but i dont believe it for a second. half assed sparring at best. and yes, i would do better, and no im not going to put up a video for you and yes you can believe what ever you want and no i dont care in the slightest.

YouKnowWho
02-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Really annoying bounce habit, run like girl circling,

She was lucky that her opponent was not good in "foot sweep" and "foot scoop". Bouncing up and down and move in a cirlcle was not very smart. Your opponenct can catch your timing when your feet landed and crossed.

LaRoux
02-06-2013, 06:28 PM
She did exactly what she needed to do against a bigger, stronger opponent.

LaRoux
02-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Bouncing up and down and move in a cirlcle was not very smart.

Moving in a circular manner is one of the best things a smaller, faster person can do against a larger, stronger opponent.

The ignorance in this thread is enlightening.

YouKnowWho
02-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Moving in a circular manner is one of the best things a smaller, faster person can do against a larger, stronger opponent.

The ignorance in this thread is enlightening.

Moving in circle with legs crossing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcuN1QKwVFg

LaRoux
02-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Moving in circle with legs crossing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcuN1QKwVFg

That's a bunch of people who really don't know what they are doing.

That's a far cry from what the girl was doing.

LaRoux
02-06-2013, 06:56 PM
That chick had great footwork, timing, and awareness of distance.

I challenge anyone here to post a video of themselves going at the same contact level she did against someone 50 lbs heavier and show even half of the skills she showed.

LaRoux
02-06-2013, 06:59 PM
As far as the bouncing and leg crossing, notice when she did that and when she did not do that. She did it when it was appropriate and did not do that when it would have given her opponent an opening to capitalize.

The ignorance in this thread is amazing.

Kellen Bassette
02-06-2013, 07:04 PM
The ignorance in this thread is amazing.

Sure is. Stick to grappling.

LaRoux
02-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Sure is. Stick to grappling.

In the meantime I will await your clip showing even half of her skills.

Actually, I won't because we know that's impossible.

-N-
02-06-2013, 07:45 PM

I challenge anyone here to post a video of themselves going at the same contact level she did against someone 50 lbs heavier and show even half of the skills she showed.

She had good timing and awareness of distance.

Her footwork was crap and she was lucky the other guy was so slow and didn't know how to take her out when she was teeter-tottering back and forth.

You can get away with that footwork only in karate point sparring where people only throw onesie-twosie type attacks. Bonus points for loud kiai to make the judges think you actually landed.

My students have gone harder against opponents outweighing them by 90 pounds, and they actually used combination attacks and had the other guys repeatedly backed up into the walls. I had to tell one student to ease up. The opponents were blackbelts and had real skill. Not like whatever that guy in the video was doing.

So is that your girlfriend or something?

-N-
02-06-2013, 07:48 PM
She was lucky that her opponent was not good in "foot sweep" and "foot scoop". Bouncing up and down and move in a cirlcle was not very smart. Your opponenct can catch your timing when your feet landed and crossed.

There's a right and a wrong way to circle.

Yes, she was just lucky.

LaRoux
02-06-2013, 08:01 PM
My students have gone harder against opponents outweighing them by 90 pounds, and they actually used combination attacks and had the other guys repeatedly backed up into the walls. I had to tell one student to ease up. The opponents were blackbelts and had real skill. Not like whatever that guy in the video was doing.

Cool. Post it. Should be a simple thing to do, right?

But we know that's not going to happen either don't we? Wouldn't want to have people see what they actually look like outside of your hyperbole.

-N-
02-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Cool. Post it. Should be a simple thing to do, right?

But we know that's not going to happen either don't we? Wouldn't want to have people see what they actually look like outside of your hyperbole.

I've posted videos of my students before.

I didn't video when he went to the other school to spar as a guest. Kind of not cool unless ok'd in advance. And I wasn't going to put people on the spot.

Doesn't matter anyway since you're just trolling.

-N-
02-06-2013, 08:09 PM
I had to tell one student to ease up. The opponents were blackbelts and had real skill.

That was his first time sparring outside of our group too. He sparred everyone there including the teacher. I had to remind him to be polite since we were guests and wanted to be able to go back regularly.

So was that you and your gf in that video?

YouKnowWho
02-06-2013, 11:14 PM
There's a right and a wrong way to circle.

Yes, she was just lucky.

As long as she always moved her back leg first, her feet and her opponent's body were always on a straight line, she would be OK. At 1.54, her right leg was on the left of her left leg. It only took her one "cross legs", her stand up game would be over.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Judo+foot+sweep&hl=en&tbo=d&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS515US515&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=CkYTUejTINORqwGgwoHIAg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1400&bih=912#imgrc=fG9hA4MJGP2HmM%3A%3BsUWWQsnm1Nc7NM%3 Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.elginjudoclub.co.uk%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2011%252F04%252FDe-Ashi-Harai.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.elginjudoclub.c o.uk%252F2011%252F04%252F27%252Fdai-ikkyo-1st-group%252Fde-ashi-harai%252F%3B776%3B940

Of course if her opponent didn't know "foot sweep", she would be OK.

LaRoux
02-06-2013, 11:37 PM
As long as she always moved her back leg first, her feet and her opponent's body were always on a straight line, she would be OK. At 1.54, her right leg was on the left of her left leg. It only took her one "cross legs", her stand up game would be over.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Judo+foot+sweep&hl=en&tbo=d&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS515US515&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=CkYTUejTINORqwGgwoHIAg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1400&bih=912#imgrc=fG9hA4MJGP2HmM%3A%3BsUWWQsnm1Nc7NM%3 Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.elginjudoclub.co.uk%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2011%252F04%252FDe-Ashi-Harai.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.elginjudoclub.c o.uk%252F2011%252F04%252F27%252Fdai-ikkyo-1st-group%252Fde-ashi-harai%252F%3B776%3B940

Of course if her opponent didn't know "foot sweep", she would be OK.

You don't know much about distancing, do you?

LaRoux
02-06-2013, 11:38 PM
So was that you and your gf in that video?

Just a clip I came across of some chick who has obvious skills to anyone who has actually ever don't full contact fighting before.

LaRoux
02-06-2013, 11:39 PM
I've posted videos of my students before.

Great. Then you can post them again. We can compare them to the girl and see how bad she is compared to them.

SimonM
02-07-2013, 06:14 AM

I might have trouble on that score - I'm a large guy and even now that I'm starting to get back into fighting shape I'll still weigh in north of 250. ;)

But that means I also know first-hand how much of an advantage weight gives in a match. I've beat more skillful opponents by dint of

Not being hurt by their best strikes.
Being able to rush and crowd them without worrying about getting knocked down.
Being able to land hits from way outside of my opponent's range.

When I said that fight was not fair to either party I wasn't criticizing the woman's skills. I was just pointing out that the reality is training only takes you so far - a weight and reach advantage, combined with even average skill, can make a challenging opponent for basically anyone.

Lucas
02-08-2013, 04:10 PM
she does have skills to be sure, but if any of you think that was anything other than friendly sparring, you are deluded, or her opponent is dense. or both.

4:40 he could have easily stepped in and dropped a knee onto her face/neck and ended everything.

i'm not taking away from her skills in the slightest the girl has them. but that was in no way a real fight or a full contact sparring match. it was a friendly sparring match with editing.