PDA

View Full Version : Equipment for training:

Weapon-Maker
07-02-2000, 04:54 AM
Other than the 'usual' stuff:heavy-bags,weight-sets,double-end bags,speed-bags etc...What other 'specialized' or custom-made equipment do you guys train with.(unless it's a 'trade' secret,of course).I am interested in the exotic,but all replies are welcome.

blacktsun
07-02-2000, 05:31 AM
For starters, I consider it basic equipment, but it wasn't on the list, a wing chun dummy. Not really essential, but useful. Also, weapons are a nessessity. I'm not going to specify, 'cause I use too wide of a variety to list and what you would use would depend on your style of fighting and what you want to work on. Weapons don't just teach you how to use the weapons, but help you familurize yourself with various movements of the body.

------------------
"Do not worry about being known, rather, try to be someone worth knowing."

Slater_E
07-02-2000, 06:06 AM
you know what I always have loved. I love making my own things.
Like the stuff I train with. I have my home-made nunchakas, shuriken, bo staff, sai's....I cut up jeans and sewed them together to make bags for Iron Palm and stuff. It is harder, takes mroe work, and it's longer to make your own weapons and stuff. But you also know that your gonna train with this sharpened stick, or this stick on a chain, or this bag filled with rocks. so it makes you wanna make it good. the stuff you make and design is of higher quality. maybe this helps, maybe not, if you want a list of all the stuff I use to train...well bags, bricks, sticks, swords, weapons etc... I have a pole that is on a gorund support and at the top is a flexible pad so I can do jumping crecent kicks and stuff etc...
but if I were you I would think of things that would help you train and then MAKE them yourself in as much as you can. It's really better that way.

------------------
"In a fight, there is no second place."

@xemili
07-02-2000, 09:29 AM
I actually got this idea off of Kathy Long, but it is a weight vest. I don't know where you can get a ready-made one, so I just made my own.
It's basicly just a vest with little pockets for little weights.
It's great for doing things like push-ups, squats, etc (Bodyweight routines) and it's also hard to jog with.
If you do decided to make one, though, fine the strongest fabric you can. I find that mine contantly rips apart. It's annoying as he heck.

------------------
Any coward can fight a battle when he's sure of winning.
-George Elliot

Weapon-Maker
07-02-2000, 09:44 AM
Blacktsun,cool nic'.Almost as cool as JKDVIGILANTE---:). Slater_E,that's cool you make your own stuff.So do I,for the most part.I make a lot of my own weapons also.I make nunchakus,3-section staffs,3 and 4-section nunchakus,escrimas and u.h.m.w. plastic 'knuckles'.

Weapon-Maker
07-02-2000, 12:21 PM
My training 'equipment' ranges from normal to just shy of bizarre.I don't have a weighted-vest,but I do have a modified weight-lifting belt which I attach weights to(I use this when I climb ropes).I have also made 7 wooden dummies(each is different,each of my own design).I have devices that will swing a staff or ball bat etc...This same device can also alternate directions of swing and simulate thrusting attacks,with different settings for speed and power.(this is one of my trade secrets,it is also my own design).I also have a baseball-pitching machine,so I can either hit a few,or dodge baseballs.(I have modified this machine to be totally unpredictable as to when and how often it 'fires'.I have also upped the power).This machine will give you all the iron-shirt you want!In case you haven't guessed,I'm an inventor.I have also constructed a 10 foot high 'wall' to climb.I also climb palm trees for strength(with weighted belt).

07-02-2000, 04:57 PM
Good God, Weapon Maker,

You're like the Tim Allen of martial arts! LOL!

------------------
Peace.
Reverend Tim

DrunkenMonkey
07-02-2000, 07:48 PM
My sifu is the older of generations so we do not use a lot of equipment - rather, we use the elements:

For agility and reflexes, Water Training. What you do is you practice agility in the water with your master, in a sort of spar. The resistance of the water helps build your agility better.

Conditioning knuckles is done by water training as well, but punching brick. The resistance also improves your speed.

Shins - wooden cylinder posts.

Speed and coordination - Fire Training. Fire training is the act of executing various practicing techniques on burning logs.

Skin - Sand Training. Watch Enter the Dragon.

------------------
Underaged Drunken Monkey

Weapon-Maker
07-02-2000, 10:44 PM
lol,thanks Reverend Tim,I needed that.

Weapon-Maker
07-03-2000, 02:25 AM
Since there hasn't been a reply in a while,I will jot down some more stuff.(I'm kinda bored anyway).Some of my newest projects on the drawing board are:a modified rope-dart,versions #'s 8 and 9 of my wooden-dummy arsenal(I have 7 now),a new design-unbreakable escrima and about a half dozen different nunchaku designs.Oh yeah,I'm also working on a new 3-section staff.(this staff will be a fully functioning work of art,one of a kind).I also plan on making 'go fast' goodies for the hot-rod aftermarket,in the future.I have a 1972 Dodge Challenger that is NOT 'stock'.I may not be the toughest guy here,but I am one of the fastest----:)

07-03-2000, 02:53 AM
Hey Weapon Maker, how much would a set of nunchuks be?
I might be interested in buying if the price is right /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Z

Arioch7
07-03-2000, 04:05 AM
Um... weights. As in free weights.
Pull up bars... weapons of all kinds and types.

Books on Zen... Beer? I bet you never thought you would see that in the same sentance!

Alas, I dont have the space anymore for the cool stuff. I dont much go into the "traditional" types of equiptment but I have to admit, I have always been interested in the Wing Chun dummy.

Aw crap, I thought that I would have something interesting to add, but I dont...

EDIT: CARS! Ok, I may not have a muscle car but I am getting an Acura CL in August. If that thing is not fast, I dont know what is!

[This message has been edited by Arioch7 (edited 07-03-2000).]

HungSheKwan
07-03-2000, 07:34 AM
Currently in my room are:
A 5lb curl bar with a thin rope holding a 10lb weight for strengthening the forearms.
2 cinder blocks for various forms of pushups(also wrist fingers and fists style)
5 more cinder blocks which hold iron palm bags for (of course) Iron Palm practice.
a staff for various arm and forearm training drills...also staff drills.
a 40lb barbell set---repetitions of curls and various other things.
some free weights for placing on chest for sit-ups.
a stopwatch for timing stances and posture holding.
a wooden dummy for forearm/shin conditioning and practicing techniques when no one is around. (Great help!!)
A straight sword.
A combat steel(heavy) 9-ring Broadsword--practice with the heavy for added conditioning--also like to work with the real thing.
Some floor space for everything else.

Some basic things that work very well for practice.

P.S.- it's nice to be back at the Forum -

------------------
++---The Southern FIST

DragonzRage
07-03-2000, 10:02 AM
From studying Jun Fan I have discovered that there is SO MUCH you can do simply with a pair of focus mitts and a partner. Thai kicking pads are also excellent.

~Max

Weapon-Maker
07-04-2000, 01:43 AM
Hi Z, I am currently limited on what I can make right now.Since I don't have my engine-lathe yet,I can't make my swivels or custom handle shapes.I am limited to the 'usual' or 'ordinary'.I also have to use someone elses swivel design,and personally,I don't like the way they attach to the handles. They attach with 1 long screw only. This will and has worked,but I would really prefer something better if I'm going to sell somebody something I made.I have a lot of these swivels in use now and they seem to be holding-up ok.When I install these 'store-bought' swivels,I always add a shot of water-proof wood glue to try to keep the screw from backing-out.As for a price on a set of nunchakus like these:Tell me what you are willing to spend and maybe we can work something out.Making nunchakus with store-bought swivels is inexpensive ; depending on the kind of wood you want.I prefer 14" handles on mine,but I can cut them to whatever length you want.As for length of chain,the average seems to be 5 to 9 links.I prefer a 20 link chain,again,I can cut the chain to the desired length.Let me know exactly what you want so I can better estimate the cost for you.The wood is the most expensive 'part' of this weapon,not the manufacturing. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

07-04-2000, 03:45 AM
Weapon-Maker:
I mainly want to use the nunchucks for fun, just something to keep me busy /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Let's talk more about this over email: zadamchen@yahoo.com is where you can reach me.

Oh, don't know if you would consider making these, but pads (thai pads, concentration pads) are pretty important in my book.

Z

DrunkenMonkey
07-05-2000, 09:58 AM
I don't study Muya Thai kickboxing but one of my friends does.

Knee pads - Usually thinly padded reinforced stitched vinyl pads strapped around the knee is good, but the strap must be designed in such a way that it gives a range of motion that allows powerful thrusts of the knees. The strap also has to be tight.

For shins, no pads. Shins are prolly the hardest to condition because of the many vessels that are near the skin there. For conditioning, what my friend does is take a thick bamboo stick and rub it along his shin for about 10 minutes a day, then takes a wooden board and tap it heavily against his knee, then practice on cylinder wooden posts.

Concentration pads are usually hung on the ceiling, small targets.

Thai pads are kinda easy besides getting a hold of the vinyl and reinforcing the stitching. Concentration is harder for a few obvious reasons.

------------------
Underaged Drunken Monkey