PDA

View Full Version : Wrists?

Munz
08-23-2000, 08:32 AM
Does anyone have any tips for strengthening the wrists?? It's not that my wrists collapse when I punch or anything like that, but if I snap out a palm or punch into the air, at the end it sort of shakes/wobbles... little hard to explain...

Thanks

Water Dragon
08-23-2000, 08:35 AM
FYI,
There're a lot off smart azzez around here and you just left yourself WIIIIDDDDDDEEEEE open /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

All you need to do is work with a heavy bag. That'll fix ya up real good

------------------
Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

benny
08-23-2000, 09:43 AM
a bit limp wristed ah.

sorry a had to be the first to say it

vingtsunstudent
08-23-2000, 09:58 AM
well i would try to master bation(it's a solo form practiced alone in the dark)
no seriously u can also just pratice stetching your wrist back & fowards & also circle the wrists clockwise & anti-clockwise.
another good device(besides a heavy bag)is a tradtional chinese wall bag.

benny
08-23-2000, 10:05 AM
bation is that something like the wan king fist?

Tiny Dragon
08-23-2000, 11:05 AM
there is this tennis ball-like thing that u can get at sports stores. it has a hard platic shell, and a ball in the middle, u flex ur wrist around trying to make the ball spin faster (is this making sense, it works, i just don't know how to describe it...) my doctor said that it helps strengthen wrists a lot, buti never got around to getting one... (yes, my wrists r still weak! it's ok for me tho, 'cause we use mostly kicks.)

Tiny Dragon
08-23-2000, 11:10 AM
oopz.... i posted the same message two times... i wasn't paying attention... sorry (^_^)

[This message has been edited by Tiny Dragon (edited 08-25-2000).]

tricky-fist
08-23-2000, 11:29 PM
Hey Munz!

There are a couple of exercises you can do… most of them involve weights though. You will notice a difference in your punching power as long as you do this regularly. Get a small plastic bucket, the kind that kids take to the beach to help with sand castles. Get some wooden rods – thick ones – from a lumber yard or hardware store along with some cement mix. Mix the cement into the pail and put in a rod (a bit more than a foot is usually okay) and let it set and voila: cement dumbbells.

How to use them? Get into a stable stance, (I use say ping ma – horse stance). Grab the dumbbell by the end of the rod and chamber it under your arm-pit like you would a straight vertical punch. Slowly extend your arm until it’s straight. Rotate your wrist clockwise, counter clockwise, down to your inside and up, down to your outside and up – keep the arm as straight as possible. Bring your arm back into a chambered position and from there swing –controlled and slowly – the dumbbell around your head and back into the chambered position. Extend your arm and do the wrist rotations again. Do as much as you can. It makes some people want to scream, but it works.

You’ll get a good grip and strong wrists as long as you combine it with taking an impact (i.e., hitting something) at different angles (hooks, uppercuts, backfists, etc…). Hopefully I explained the exercise okay. It isn’t for everyone, but it works wonders.

Respects,
TF

Kung Lek
08-24-2000, 12:52 AM
hi-

practicing correct kung fu hand forms as well as releases from Chin Na and relese motions from within forms will all increase your wrist strength over time.

When you have developed sufficient strength through these methods you can then apply weight to the training. Something like a heavy staff held up and horizontal by the very end will strengthen the wrists further.

or there is a method whereby a bundle of bamboo is used and two people twist it on each other so that grip and wrist strength are developed together.

Talk to your teacher and ask what the prescribed methods for development are within your style. I'm sure there will be a suitable variety of methods.

peace

------------------
Kung Lek

JWTAYLOR
08-24-2000, 12:56 AM
Take up rock climbing. Big gains in wrist strength and flexibility fast.

Heavy staff training is good. Heavy bag work is good too, but won't give you the all around flexibility of the heavy staff. And I do mean heavy.

JWT

Munz
08-24-2000, 10:01 AM
Thanks guys, all good suggestions - well, almost all /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

A friend suggested using a light dumbell - supporting your forearm by resting it on your leg, then lifting the weight up and down with your wrist. Anyone done this?? Or see any problems with it?? It seems to be one of the simplest methods.

totallyfrozen
08-24-2000, 12:31 PM
I have a wrist exercise that I've done for years...but it has negatively affected my eye sight /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, yes, I have used dumbells for wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. It seems to work.
I don't know what style you study...but in my style, it's important not to be too ridged because it takes away some of the "whipping" motion of a punch. Perhaps, I am misunderstanding what problem you are having.
Anyway, the wrist curls seem to help. I would recommend doing some wrist curls for a few weeks before getting too hard on the heavy bag. You can hurt your wrists on a heavy bag if you start punching too hard and your wrists aren't up to it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------
"There is only ONE martial art"

Sung
08-25-2000, 01:39 AM
you can do push ups on the back of your hands. instead of on your palms, turn your hands over and so that the fingers face each other.
you can also imagine like you have a wet blanket, towel, etc. you imagine wringing it out. go back and forth, turning your wrists away from you, then towards you. i don't think i've done a good job of explaining that one so if your confused, scratch it.
heavy staff work (no, not that staff) will work wonders for total, all around strengthening of the wrists. even if the staff isn't that heavy, your wrists will get a good work out if you practice enough.
i'm nothing to brag about, but i've got pretty strong wrists and a pretty strong grip and have been told this by cats who out weigh me by 50 pounds.
here are 2 exercises i practice often and enjoy cuz they can be done almost anywhere....if you don't mind people looking at you like you're some sort of maniac; i practice an exercise where i start with my hands open, fingers spread apart as far as possible. then, i slowly make a fist, imagining squeezing a ball as hard and as slow as i can , until they are clenched. then i relax, let them open and then spread the fingers as far apart as possible again. the slower this is done, the better. this will improve your grip, forearms and naturally, your wrists. do as many as possible. after 30, my arms from my elbow down are usually on fire. my goal is 100 in one sitting. you don't want to keep a clenched fist for more than an instant....in other words, your hands should never 'hold' a position.
also, to improve how fast you can make a fist (which also aids in grabbing something quickly with power), make a fist and open your hand as many times as possible in 30 seconds. remember not to cheat....make a complete fist (strong) and open it completely. these few exercises have worked amazingly for me.
lastly, stretch your wrists before and after exercising them, but i think as a martial artist, you know the importance of stretching a muscle before using it.
good luck.
p.s.- i hate people who give 'dead fish' handshakes.