PDA

View Full Version : Martial arts training

Raipizo
02-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Okay, so what percentage of things do you think you should train to make up your whole martial training? Like weapons 10% Forms and technique 30% Training exercises and exercise 40% qigong 10% and bag work or something for another 10%. That's just an example, so what do you guys do or think is a good blueprint?

sanjuro_ronin
02-21-2013, 12:42 PM
It would depend on what level on is.

In regards to weapons it also depends on how one carries over empty hand to weapons and vice-verse.
Personally, I think that bulk of training should be conditioning, so drills and bag work.
Sparring is a must also but because it is harder on the body, less time is spent compared to drills and bag work.
Specialized training (kungs) should NOT be part of the workout IMO.
Strength training should be done on a different day IF possible.

YouKnowWho
02-21-2013, 12:43 PM
I like the following distributation and priority in that order.

1. 40% partner drills (develop).
2. 20% sparring/wrestling (test).
3. 20% equipment training (enhance).
4. 20% solo drills (polish).

Raipizo
02-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Yeah sparring should be included definitely probably around 20-30% sparring, grappling wrestling and that sort of thing. Agreed, a bulk should be exercise and conditioning.

Raipizo
02-21-2013, 12:56 PM
And I realized I posted this under the wrong topic, whoops :D

Robinhood
02-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Okay, so what percentage of things do you think you should train to make up your whole martial training? Like weapons 10% Forms and technique 30% Training exercises and exercise 40% qigong 10% and bag work or something for another 10%. That's just an example, so what do you guys do or think is a good blueprint?

Depends what your training for, most people train for self defense, some train for sport fighting.
Some train for health reasons.

Pick one.

YouKnowWho
02-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Depends what your training for, most people train for self defense, some train for sport fighting. Some train for health reasons.

Pick one.

What will this training be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVssGETPAs0

sanjuro_ronin
02-21-2013, 01:14 PM

LMAO !
You're such a freak John !
:D

MightyB
02-21-2013, 01:22 PM
I don't like to spend too much time doing strength and cardio in class because that's something I can do on my own time. I like to spend the bulk of my time perfecting techniques with various degrees of resistance with partners when I'm in class so about 70 to 80%. 20% is doing the cool arse kung fuey solo stuff.

This is when I'm trying to learn real application. If I want to learn a new form/set, then 80% of the time will be devoted to that.

60% of the time, it works all the time.

Robinhood
02-21-2013, 01:27 PM

That would be good for stacking dead corpses in a pile that had extreme riger mortise set in.

YouKnowWho
02-21-2013, 01:30 PM
I don't like to spend too much time doing strength and cardio in class because that's something I can do on my own time.

I don't think equipment training and solo drills should be done in the class. If your wife can't be your training partner at home, you should use your class for 100% partner training and sparring/wrestling. "No forms in class" is pretty hard to do for some TCMA schools.

Raipizo
02-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Depends what your training for, most people train for self defense, some train for sport fighting.
Some train for health reasons.

Pick one.

Well yeah obviously some people train for different things, I was just asking what you do and what your opinion was.

Raipizo
02-21-2013, 01:47 PM
I don't think equipment training and solo drills should be done in the class. If your wife can't be your training partner at home, you should use your class for 100% partner training and sparring/wrestling. "No forms in class" is pretty hard to do for some TCMA schools.

Exactly, workout at home or the gym. Learning the forms is okay in class I guess, just use more at home time to polish it up and to make it better instead of relying on class time, if that's possible.

Kellen Bassette
02-21-2013, 02:50 PM
15 to 20 minutes of stretching and warmup exercise followed by.....

10% Forms, (empty hand, weapon and solo drills)
50% Bag/pad work
20% partner drilling,
20% sparring/rolling

Separate strength and cardio routine.

YouKnowWho
02-21-2013, 04:48 PM
You should spend the majority of your training time working on "how to make it happen" instead of "how to finish it". In one of my students school, he requires his students to throw their opponent 200 times. Most of them has to puke their guts out during their work out. IMO, that won't be necessary.

Robinhood
02-21-2013, 05:22 PM

Hey, why don't you try that with a couple hundred pound bag of water, it might be a little harder to do.

-N-
02-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Depends on what stage the students are at.

I liked when they got to the point that every class was about 1 hour learning and practicing applications with a partner, and 2-3 hours of medium contact continuous sparring.

The students would spar until they were too tired to continue, then it would be the next guys' turn. I would spar 3 in a row then break. I also coached during the sparring to correct mistakes and point out how to capitalize on things they could do well.

-N-
02-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Depends on what stage the students are at.

I liked when they got to the point that every class was about 1 hour learning and practicing applications with a partner, and 2-3 hours of medium contact continuous sparring.

The students would spar until they were too tired to continue, then it would be the next guys' turn. I would spar 3 in a row then break. I also coached during the sparring to correct mistakes and point out how to capitalize on things they could do well.

Nowadays we hang up a heavy bag at the park, and I work mostly on that. The students are mostly newer, so they are learning fundamental stuff. My teaching partner, who is more patient than me for that stuff, drills the students on that.