PDA

View Full Version : Another "borrowed" video.

Grumblegeezer
03-01-2013, 10:14 AM
I just grabbed this video off another site where they were talking about WC leg work. I really got a kick out of this (groan --sorry). It goes way beyond what I'm capable of. I have a partially crippled ankle, so I use kicks sparingly and tend to keep my feet on the ground.

Some folks say that you should be able to do just about anything with your feet that you can do with your hands. To which I'd counter, yes, but just as you should avoid "chasing hands", you should also avoid "chasing feet".

Regardless, I found this interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-iLJJcgopI

Grumblegeezer
03-01-2013, 10:23 AM
I just watched it again. Did you guys watch all the way to the end? Wow. Don't ever say that Bulgarians can't dance! ...I wonder if they practice to this music?

LaRoux
03-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Yet another example of taking something that is functional (leg sweeps) and bringing them into the realm of the pretend.

Grumblegeezer
03-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Just as I thought LaRoux, you can't dance either :p But seriously, some of the more straightforward drills looked fun and possibly useful.

Every style has drills which might seem impractical taken out of context. And most also do demos which are are, frankly, over the top. Doesn't mean that what they train doesn't also serve a practical purpose.

LaRoux
03-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Just as I thought LaRoux, you can't dance either :p But seriously, some of the more straightforward drills looked fun and possibly useful.

Every style has drills which might seem impractical taken out of context. And most also do demos which are are, frankly, over the top. Doesn't mean that what they train doesn't also serve a practical purpose.

You are right about the context. Without an actual resisting opponent, there's no way to know for sure. However, it's not too hard to get a pretty good idea of which of those things is in the realm of fantasy (:16 to :20, for starters).

Vajramusti
03-01-2013, 05:06 PM
[QUOTE=Grumblegeezer;1215260]I just grabbed this video off another site where they were talking about WC leg work. I really got a kick out of this (groan --sorry). It goes way beyond what I'm capable of. I have a partially crippled ankle, so I use kicks sparingly and tend to keep my feet on the ground.

Some folks say that you should be able to do just about anything with your feet that you can do with your hands. To which I'd counter, yes, but just as you should avoid "chasing hands", you should also avoid "chasing feet".

Chi gerk is not fighting. Can be a series of developmental drills-that can enhance footwork, balance, timing and flexibility. what we do is not imported from other styles. Ch Gerk was known in some Ip Man related wing chun schools in Hong Kong. Don't care to argue- there is enough of that.

GlennR
03-01-2013, 05:36 PM
I just grabbed this video off another site where they were talking about WC leg work. I really got a kick out of this (groan --sorry). It goes way beyond what I'm capable of. I have a partially crippled ankle, so I use kicks sparingly and tend to keep my feet on the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-iLJJcgopI

I quite liked it as well, nicely put together as well

Graham H
03-02-2013, 01:16 AM
Chi Gerk????? :D:D:D:D:D

YouKnowWho
03-02-2013, 01:36 AM
Excellent clip. It contains leg skills such as

1. bite,
2. sticky,
3. scoop,
4. sweep,
5. cut,
6. ...

1, 2, 3, 4 should always be trained as a group and in that order.

This is the 1st clip that I have seen that people has some idea about how "leg skills" should be trained.

as you should avoid "chasing hands", you should also avoid "chasing feet".
There is a difference. Chasing hands won't be able to affect your opponent's balance but chasing leg will. If you lift one of your opponent's feet off the ground, he will only have 1 foot standing. If you also lift his standing leg, he will have not foot standing and he will fall. Also when your leg touch your opponent's leg, at that moment, he won't be able to kick you or knee you. It will let you to concentrate on punching at his head.

The wrestler's "single leg" and "double legs" are "chasing leg with your hands".

- Of course you can use your hands to chase your opponent's leg/legs (let you hand to do your leg work).
- You can also use your leg to chase your opponent's leg/legs (let your leg to do your leg work).

Since your leg is always close to your opponent's legs than you hands are, it make more sense to let your leg to do your leg work, and let your hand to do your hand work. Here is another example that you let your leg to do your leg work. It's called "cut" in TCMA.

http://cdn2.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/osotogari.htm

BPWT
03-02-2013, 07:06 AM
Some very nice ideas in the video, good stuff for isolated drills that fit with the WT method of stepping. :)

I'm sure this thread will quickly pick up comments about how 'none of this actually works, coz if it did we'd see it in MMA events,' etc, etc. :rolleyes:

After Uni I spent 18 months in Thailand, and had the chance to travel throughout the country - I saw plenty of folks (old and young) in villages and small towns training unarmed (and armed) fighting methods... and saw plenty of people training drills not a million miles away from what you see in this video clip.

Some of those old goats knew a thing or two about messing up your balance, or just plain turning your legs into jelly ;)

imperialtaichi
03-02-2013, 06:21 PM
I like it.

Of course, this is not fighting (neither is Chi Sao). But anything that improves dexterity of the legs and mapping of space and opponent's anatomy can't be a bad thing.

anerlich
03-02-2013, 08:41 PM
I thought it was OK. A couple of judoka of my acquaintance work drills which are not dissimilar, though perhaps not quite as complex.

The important thing is of course to use drills as a means to an end, not an end to themselves, and not to allege that proficiency with drills means total bada$$ness (as has been the case with some chi sao clips of late).

One of my si-hings is a professional dancer. He has excellent agility and footwork, as well as being able to kick like a mule and punch pretty d a m n hard. Ca n take it as well as dish it out, too.

I'm all for pragmatism and practicality, but sometimes you need to let your imagination run a bit too. It doesn't always work out, but when it does ...

Ali. R
03-03-2013, 10:45 AM
We do drills somewhat similar to what’s on that clip; it demonstrates the idea of bridging with the upper extremities for solid control of the legs, while at the same time borrowing the energies of your opponent’s lower extremities through good structural contact of your upper extremities and stance, while using blocks or strikes (with the hands) for even more powerful kicks; or to be able to adjust from defense to offense within one line of energy or vertices when dealing with the legs in application.