PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Life

Jubei1
03-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Hello Gentlemen,

I had an interesting talk with a Sihing after training yesterday. He mentioned something my Sifu has told me a number of times. He touched upon the idea of VT (WC,WT) not only being a "fighting method" but as a way of life. The principles and concept about being straight to the point and the idea of being "neutral" (don’t sell yourself short, but don’t be boastful either) can translate easily into ones everyday life.
Learning the Moy Yat system I have been exposed to this idea numerous times, my question is "do other lineages or VT,WC,WT systems have this belief of "kung fu life"? do you practice this life style?

Jubei

Grumblegeezer
03-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Yes, my old Chinese sifu used to say that WT was a model for living in many ways. Just as you noted, it's directness and efficiency are examples for approaching problems, the idea of "not crashing force" but rather yielding and flexing before heavy force, and then "borrowing" the force to acheive your goal, and so forth. These are practical and (possibly) ethical precepts to live by.

The supreme irony is in how my old sifu (who I won't name here) has actually lived his life. For example, when asked why he charged so much money to teach so little, his response was "This is the secret. I cheat you once, but you can cheat your students a thousand times! So you make money too and do not complain". It's safe to say he was no Mr. Miyagi!

Sure, martial arts can be seen as a metaphorical model for approaching life's conflicts. But it's best to remember that a sifu is a martial arts instructor, not your guru and spiritual guide.

Vajramusti
03-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Hello Gentlemen,

I had an interesting talk with a Sihing after training yesterday. He mentioned something my Sifu has told me a number of times. He touched upon the idea of VT (WC,WT) not only being a "fighting method" but as a way of life. The principles and concept about being straight to the point and the idea of being "neutral" (don’t sell yourself short, but don’t be boastful either) can translate easily into ones everyday life.
Learning the Moy Yat system I have been exposed to this idea numerous times, my question is "do other lineages or VT,WC,WT systems have this belief of "kung fu life"? do you practice this life style?

Jubei
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not from the Moy Yat lineage.. nor from Leung Ting, William Cheung, Duncan Leung or Hawkins Cheung etc..

I am from the Augustine Fong lineage-sigung_Ho Kam Ming- fairly well integrated form
of Ip man wing chun.

Yes- there are ethical implications that can be drawn from wing chun-but degrees vary with individuals. I would not accept most wing chun sifus as guides... there are many whose knowledge is modest but the greed is great.

anerlich
03-06-2013, 03:07 PM
The principles of MA can have wider applications.

Arguably though in many cases they are just particular manifestations of more general philosophical principles, so this is not altogether surprising.

Also, in many cases, you can extrapolate these things way too far, and/or unreasonably elevate the trite to an importance it does not deserve.

IMO living a good life is not best done by following a list of principles developed by someone else. At some stage you need to develop your own ways if living and your own moral compass. Obviously, standing on the shoulders of giants lets you see further, but you still need to walk your own path.

The map is not the territory.

Jubei1
03-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Thank you for taking the time to respond Gentlemen. I agree with both of your statements that greed can and has tarnished a lot of good within our society including VT/WC/WT. For the most part I have not read to many people mention "kung fu life", so I find it very good to know that other aspects of VT/WC/WT are being passed on or at least being exposed to other people.

I agree with you also Anerlich. At some point you must be your own person and find your own moral compass but its also nice to have other peoples points of view and experiences to challenge your own moral fibre.

I realize that this type of thinking is not suited for everyone – to each his own, but I think the availability of such information is great for those who want to receive more from a martial art then just learning how to kick and punch.