PDA

View Full Version : Paleofantasy

wenshu
03-10-2013, 09:39 PM
http://www.salon.com/2013/03/10/paleofantasy_stone_age_delusions/

Someone at my crossfit gym told me apropo of nothing that they are 100% paleo.

I said, "So you do you eat your own poop before or after you **** your sister?"

Not, really, but I should.

Oso
03-11-2013, 12:48 AM
i've used the lactose point and the point regarding how stone age peoples ate whatever the hell they could

hardcore crossfit people are their own special kind of crazy

Scott R. Brown
03-11-2013, 02:11 AM
Does this mean I have to stop eating the hearts and livers of my victi......., er......I mean enemies?:(

David Jamieson
03-11-2013, 05:31 AM
Fanatics of any stripe are fanatics. Ergo, they have a defect of perspective fueled by their own fanaticism. C'est la vie.

wenshu
03-11-2013, 06:55 AM
The diet itself is not such a bad thing. The problem is the insane pseudoscientific nonsense used to justify it.

Nuts veggies and meat; whole foods no processed junk. Body builders have been on to that **** since who knows when. They just didn't disrespect the ever living **** out of a dozen different scientific disciplines trying to justify it, they just called it "eating clean". Now its just repackaged as another ****ing lifestyle fad so soccer moms and beta male office workers can feel like they are bad ass hunter gatherers after narrowly avoiding a herniated disc from trying to power snatch 90lbs 150 times in 10 minutes.

Same as high intensity interval training, coaches having been doing it for decades, only without the cavalier attitude towards potentially career ending crippling injuries because they actually care about the well being of their athletes, cause you know, they play real sports and **** and don't give a **** about who can work out the fastest.

jdhowland
03-11-2013, 08:27 AM
Twenty years ago I was reading something about the newest diet trend and told my wife-to-be that somebody should write The Paleolithic Cookbook. It would make millions.

<sigh>

bawang
03-11-2013, 08:57 AM
everybody wanna be black, but nobody wanna be black.

jdhowland
03-11-2013, 08:59 AM
you is black but you don't be black

David Jamieson
03-11-2013, 09:00 AM
The diet itself is not such a bad thing. The problem is the insane pseudoscientific nonsense used to justify it.

Nuts veggies and meat; whole foods no processed junk. Body builders have been on to that **** since who knows when. They just didn't disrespect the ever living **** out of a dozen different scientific disciplines trying to justify it, they just called it "eating clean". Now its just repackaged as another ****ing lifestyle fad so soccer moms and beta male office workers can feel like they are bad ass hunter gatherers after narrowly avoiding a herniated disc from trying to power snatch 90lbs 150 times in 10 minutes.

Same as high intensity interval training, coaches having been doing it for decades, only without the cavalier attitude towards potentially career ending crippling injuries because they actually care about the well being of their athletes, cause you know, they play real sports and **** and don't give a **** about who can work out the fastest.

All true.

As an aside and sort of part and parcel to this I find it curious that people think they can buy health and not work for it or purchase spiritual healing or even to think that this could be sold.

This world of today where everything is monetized and commercialized. It is losing sight of what matters. It is truly fascinating to watch.

Scott R. Brown
03-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Twenty years ago I was reading something about the newest diet trend and told my wife-to-be that somebody should write The Paleolithic Cookbook. It would make millions.

<sigh>

Not really since you are not suppose to COOK your food in the Paleo-diet, So, you would be a charlatan teaching to cook what you are not suppose to be cooking in the first place!

On the otherhand, you would be a rich charlatan, and by then everyone else can just suck it!!!:D

bawang
03-11-2013, 09:18 AM
i havent seen any crossfitters breaking open a bone to suck out the marrows. i do it all the time at KFC. i have the spirit of the caveman.

Scott R. Brown
03-11-2013, 09:27 AM
i havent seen any crossfitters breaking open a bone to suck out the marrows. i do it all the time at KFC. i have the spirit of the caveman.

You are supposed to do that with Dinosaur bones though, not bird bones!

jdhowland
03-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Not really since you are not suppose to COOK your food in the Paleo-diet, So, you would be a charlatan teaching to cook what you are not suppose to be cooking in the first place!

On the otherhand, you would be a rich charlatan, and by then everyone else can just suck it!!!:D

Didn't know that. I've never actually read anything about the trend. Just knew that the title keeps popping up in media.

I was an anthropology major when I came up with the idea. Neanderthal-type people as well as modern types (with some inbetweens who were not clearly one or the other) in the last glacial max periods cooked at least some of their food. It gave them access to more calories. A lot of natives in my neck of the woods don't cook organ meat but they smoke and dry the brawn to preserve it.

I would like to be a rich charlatan at something. Then I would change my name and devote all my time to kung fu.

wenshu
03-11-2013, 09:51 AM

If you mean the lifestyle fad, cooking is allowed.

If you are talking about our actual pleistocene ancestors, had you read the article you would have noticed the mention of recently discovered archeological evidence of mulled and cooked grains *gasp* carbohydrates *gasp* from 30,000 YA.

bawang
03-11-2013, 09:53 AM
I was an anthropology major when I came up with the idea. Neanderthal-type people as well as modern types (with some inbetweens who were not clearly one or the other) in the last glacial max periods cooked at least some of their food. It gave them access to more calories. A lot of natives in my neck of the woods don't cook organ meat but they smoke and dry the brawn to preserve it.

did u notice how once neanderthals were linked to europeans, they suddenly cleaned them all up and shaved them? lol

I would like to be a rich charlatan at something. Then I would change my name and devote all my time to kung fu.

start the neanderthal diet. elephants and cro magnon children.

wenshu
03-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Romanticization is a delusion. Romanticization of a lifestyle that never existed in the first place is a delusion of a delusion.

The only difference between Paleo/Primal lifestyle proponents and delusional limp wristed panty waist internal energy fantasists is the eating disorder.

wenshu
03-11-2013, 09:59 AM
start the neanderthal diet. elephants and cro magnon children.

Don't forget the poop.

bawang
03-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Don't forget the poop.

i watched on natgeo neanderthals might have raped h0mosapien women, then ate them. the ones left alive as "pets" account for our neaderthal genes.

bawang
03-11-2013, 10:11 AM
well, birds evolved from dinos, so...

nice. u so smrat.

i also never seen crossfitters eating dirt out of extreme hunger, or rats, insects, or animal eyes, brains, and intestines.

you know, paleo diet sounds a lot like cantonese cuisine.

jdhowland
03-11-2013, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=bawang;1217855]did u notice how once neanderthals were linked to europeans, they suddenly cleaned them all up and shaved them? lolQUOTE]

I thought they were always linked to Europe and the Levant.

Oh, I see what you mean. Genetic evidence to show they are actually related to moder eurasians. Yep, I did notice that the old hairy man-ape hybrid image is gone.

I liked John Leong being cast as the neanderthaloid in the Ice Man movie. Almost no body hair at all.

Scott R. Brown
03-11-2013, 10:20 AM
If you mean the lifestyle fad, cooking is allowed.

Then the fadests have wussed out over the years! I have been aware pf the paleo diet for over 5 years or so, originally there was no cooking of food.

Raw meats, nuts, berrys, and some veggies. No grains or potatoes.

Aww the good old days, when fads stayed the way they originally were and you didn't have to mess with all this new fangled fire and cooking fad.

I predict this fire and cooking fad will pass with the diplodocus!

Scott R. Brown
03-11-2013, 10:22 AM
well, birds evolved from dinos, so...

Yeah, but a real man like bawang should be eating the marrow from a bone bigger than he is!

Oso
03-11-2013, 11:13 AM
... ... ... and it certainly favors athletic types, at least in it's unmodified form (if u tweaked the duration / intensity of the program it could be could for a wider range of people); the "pushing yourself beyond the limit" background noise also is not realistic for most people;

well, it is accessible to everyone...true, what we mostly see are the rabid types. but, at least at the box i went to, there was a big emphasis on the scalability to reach all types of folks. imo, anyone (barring the extremely obese) could start a crossfit program.

IronFist
03-11-2013, 12:22 PM

I actually just made some marrow soup.

Of course, I boiled the bones in a crock pot for 36 hours. I don't think cavemen had crockpots.

I'm a poser.

IronFist
03-11-2013, 12:27 PM
If you eat more natural stuff and less fast food and processed stuff you will probably be healthier.

But if you just say that, people will say "ok" and then keep going.

But if you package it up as the "paleo diet" suddenly you have something you can sell.

sanjuro_ronin
03-11-2013, 12:50 PM
In the old days people ate whatever they could get their teeth on, period.
I am sure there are many places on this planet that would get a kick out of hearing that people here have the LUXURY to view some food as "Bad".
LMAO !
In some places they kill your ass twice for a bag of chips !

"Oh, I'd never eat white bread..."
You'd eat the whole bag including wrapper if you hadn't eaten in 3 days and weren't sure when you'd eat again !

Gotta love western society.

jdhowland
03-11-2013, 01:35 PM
[QUOTE=sanjuro_ronin;1217956]In the old days people ate whatever they could get their teeth on, period.QUOTE]

That is the basis for my new The Pleistocene Diet, soon to be available for $49.98 +s&h. Here's the essential info (without the extra 290 pages of filler) for KFM Forum members only: Eat as much high quality protein as you can for four days, then eat only what you can find in your yard for the next four weeks.

I guarantee you will lose fat and gain endurance from trying to chase down the neighbors' cat.

GeneChing
03-11-2013, 02:29 PM
I am sure there are many places on this planet that would get a kick out of hearing that people here have the LUXURY to view some food as "Bad". Of course there were foods viewed as bad. There are plenty of foods that are poisonous. Didn't you see Blue Lagoon? :p

Then again, I can't quite reconcile the poop eating. :o

In all seriousness, there was a cultural shift with food following WWII. It's like that joke: Q: What was organic farming called before WWII? A: Farming. Thanks to our technological and chemical advancements and our economic drive for cheap meat, there have been countless violations to our foods (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65208). Ironically, it's that very love of luxury that has poisoned our system.

wenshu
03-11-2013, 03:29 PM
I call it the Australopithecus Diet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0psx2I8hY_c

bawang
03-11-2013, 04:29 PM
I actually just made some marrow soup.

Of course, I boiled the bones in a crock pot for 36 hours. I don't think cavemen had crockpots.

I'm a poser.

when I eat at KFC, my ferociousness scares white people. I growl and make angry face.

bawang
03-11-2013, 06:19 PM
what happens if a staff member tries to clear your place...

they are all pakistanis. we smile, high five and hugs, then both stare coldly at white peoples together.

Kellen Bassette
03-11-2013, 07:57 PM
they are all pakistanis. we smile, high five and hugs, then both stare coldly at white peoples together.

Stare all you want, just make sure you get my order right! :cool:

ShaolinDan
03-11-2013, 10:51 PM
i also never seen crossfitters eating dirt out of extreme hunger, or rats, insects, or animal eyes, brains, and intestines.

you know, paleo diet sounds a lot like cantonese cuisine.

Lol. Not just Cantonese food either...:)

SevenStar
03-12-2013, 12:02 PM
I'm not lactose intolerant. I feel like I am now at the top of the evolutionary chain!

Add for fanatics, how are paleo guys any different from tma guys mimicking bugs and animals? It's all neither here or there - it's just LARPing.

That being said, mark sisson at Mark's daily apple has his own take on paleo lifestyle. I actually like his take on fitness - lift heavy things, move slowly yet often and sprint every once in a while.

wenshu
03-12-2013, 12:36 PM
The original fad diet. The low carb craze has definitely come full circle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigu_(avoiding_grains)

SoCo KungFu
03-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Sorry but I can't link the whole article, only summary. I don't have a Lancet account. And my Medscape account doesn't really give me much more than you have in the summary anyways.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(13)60598-X/abstract

Just a note. I'm not sure about ancient Puebloans, but I do believe Peruvian culture mummified all remains, not just the elite. The article mentions this as one reason for sampling multiple cultures since that is a criticism of the Egyptian data. Although, if I remember right, a number of "low class" Egyptians get mummified as well unintentionally so I'm not sure that criticism itself is entirely accurate. Its been a while since I've had a world cultures course so....

As you can see there's an issue with the Unangan hunter-gatherer mummies (p=NS). But they had practically no sample size for that group (nor for the Puebloans for that matter, which sorta renders their mummification practices rather irrelevant in the end).

Anyways, its by no means conclusive to the result. But it does jive with some of the newer studies on AS and inflammation as opposed to strictly diet.

SoCo KungFu
03-20-2013, 11:15 AM
In the old days people ate whatever they could get their teeth on, period.
I am sure there are many places on this planet that would get a kick out of hearing that people here have the LUXURY to view some food as "Bad".
LMAO !
In some places they kill your ass twice for a bag of chips !

"Oh, I'd never eat white bread..."
You'd eat the whole bag including wrapper if you hadn't eaten in 3 days and weren't sure when you'd eat again !

Gotta love western society.

Its amazing what you find in remains at archaeology sites. A botanist I know always laughs at people with the mentality you mention above. He did some forensics work at some of the sites around here. Over winter people were eating tree bark...

wenshu
03-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Sorry but I can't link the whole article, only summary. I don't have a Lancet account. And my Medscape account doesn't really give me much more than you have in the summary anyways.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(13)60598-X/abstract

Article that connects the two.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/its-a-part-of-my-paleo-fantasy-its-a-part-of-my-paleo-dream/

wenshu
03-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Debunking the paleo diet: Christina Warinner at TEDxOU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BMOjVYgYaG8

jdhowland
03-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Debunking the paleo diet: Christina Warinner at TEDxOU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BMOjVYgYaG8

Nice presentation.