PDA

View Full Version : Mantis influence on Korean arts?

rogue
11-16-2001, 08:29 AM
I've noticed that two Korean arts, Hwarangdo and Kuk sul, use the honest to goodnessmantis hand a lot. Anybody hear any stories about mantis in Korea?

[I]Signed,
Rogue, Soke and Senior Grandmaster of Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Combat Chi jitsu Kempo Karate Do and Choral Society.

The only tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, “To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

Now I want you to remember that no ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb ******* die for his countr

Tainan Mantis
11-16-2001, 02:09 PM
My teacher went to Korea to visit a mantis teacher. He did plum flower mantis.
Most significant is that the Korean is in possession of a 3rd generation hand written manuscript.
I'd give my left kidney just to get a photocopy of that book.

sitnam
11-19-2001, 10:48 PM
Most Korean tanglangquan practitioners trace their lineage to Ji Chun-Ting. I've also heard unconfirmed reports from Taiwan tanglangpractitioners that the Koreans have a copy of Liang Xue-Xiang's manuscript "Ru Men Quan Jie". In fact, the story goes that a Korean tanglang practitioner gave a plot of land to obtain a copy of the manuscript from his teacher.

Say, is there anyone out there who has a copy of this manuscript?

Tainan Mantis
11-20-2001, 07:16 AM
I'm pretty sure we are talking about the same manuscript.
My teacher read over it and said that he already had that info, in other words, there was nothing new. But this may be a little frustrating for the rest of us as most every school has their own version of almost every facet of PM.
Sitnam, I'm wondering if your story came from my teacher or Josh. Or is there another source of info in Taiwan?

sitnam
11-21-2001, 12:01 AM
I heard the uncomfirmed rumors about the Koreans having Liang Xue-Xiang's "Ru Men Quan Jie" from sources in Taipei. I don't doubt that the Koreans have a copy of it. Indeed, the contents of the manuscripts are probably basic tanglangquan principles and theories, but the historical significance of the manuscript is invaluable.

While I was in Taipei, I met several Korean tanglang practitioners who came to visit our school. One of them was Cho Sung-Jae who is the head instructor for the Korea Wide Orthodoxy Praying Mantis Kung-Fu Association. He was interested in obtaining tanglang manuscripts from various tanglangquan schools in Taipei. My teacher just gave him the introduction and the first Zhai Yao section of our school's manuscript. However, what really interested me was when Mr. Cho and I compared Zhai Yao Section 1 and Bazhou. Our routines were somewhat similar (da tong xiao yi), but he emphasized more power generation.

Taijimantis
11-29-2001, 06:47 AM
I study Korean Tang Soo Do as well as Taiji Mantis. While I am not that high in the Korean system yet, I know that the Fourth or Fifth Dan has a form that is represented by the Praying Mantis.

The forms name is Sei San, and while I have not yet seen the form performed, some of my friends with much more expertise in the system say that what I have described as "mantis" isnt in the form, other than a few hand techniques.

I have considered ordering a video tape with the form on it just so I can see for myself, because the final form in Tang Soo Do is called Tae Guk Kwon, which translates to "Grand Ultimate Fist"... if that doesnt ring a bell yet, it will when I tell you it is half of the Yang Family Taiji set.

The Chil Sung (7 Stars)set is unquestionably Chinese influenced, so it wouldnt suprise me if Mantis was represented in the Sei San Hyung.

Ill let you know when I get my tape.