PDA

View Full Version : My interpretation of "Nim Lik" - or whatever you want to call it :)

imperialtaichi
03-15-2013, 04:36 AM
Basically, instead of fighting/resisting the opponent, which creates two struggling COG's, I "unite" with the opponent, don't fight him, but manipulate the joint COG.

I THINK this is the crux of Nim Lik, but of course I could be wrong, as it is my interpretation only. None the less, it works like a charm.

It is a bit raw, sorry about the quality. It is just a quick job, I kind of promised KFF to put something up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejJdNfQdE0Q&feature=youtu.be

Hendrik
03-15-2013, 08:21 AM
The first part is yang taichi push hand engine .

Using the body to sustain, then perform push back.
Johns hands position on his opponent is to uproot as in taiji push hand.

The tan sau demo is a wck shifting angle to target the oponent center line, while put the opponet in a mechanically off position, then sinking elbow to connect the body support and then push.
Watch 1.26 to 1.29 on John angling change, sinking elbow,and pushback.

The beauty of the five layers Catagorization is to be able to pin point to the root cause and it's effect. Nim Lik doesn't make sense because the mind layer can only provide direction , while the Lik or force has to comes from the physical and momentum layer.

Snake engine is a science, physics, and engineering process, which can be repeat by anyone to get result.

Nim Lik is mis naming. All Lik or force need a physical mechanics. Thinking or nim by itself cannot produce force. Here is my explanation of momentum , force and how different layers support . No mystery!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2vhm97tkf0

Basically, instead of fighting/resisting the opponent, which creates two struggling COG's, I "unite" with the opponent, don't fight him, but manipulate the joint COG.

I THINK this is the crux of Nim Lik, but of course I could be wrong, as it is my interpretation only. None the less, it works like a charm.

It is a bit raw, sorry about the quality. It is just a quick job, I kind of promised KFF to put something up.

YouKnowWho
03-15-2013, 10:50 AM
I "unite" with the opponent, don't fight him, but manipulate the joint COG.
When you are relax, your opponent is also relax. IMO, you may want to play a bit more "aggressive" game and "shake" him (you have already obtained the control that you need for your "shaking"). It's better to scare him to death than to give him a peaceful mind to search for his "inner peace".

To me, the principle of "shaking" may work better than sticky, yield, follow, ... The more that you can give, the more that you can take. If you are not willing to give, you may have to wait for a long time to be able to get anything. This is why I don't like "internal". If your opponent dosn't commit then you won't commit, you and your girlfriend will never be able to have the 1st date.

tc101
03-15-2013, 11:45 AM

This is similar to how I learned except we first break the opponent's balance or structure before uniting so that we can then dominate by manipulating the joint COG as you call it.

GlennR
03-15-2013, 02:40 PM
The first part is yang taichi push hand engine .

Using the body to sustain, then perform push back.
Johns hands position on his opponent is to uproot as in taiji push hand.

The tan sau demo is a wck shifting angle to target the oponent center line, while put the opponet in a mechanically off position, then sinking elbow to connect the body support and then push.
Watch 1.26 to 1.29 on John angling change, sinking elbow,and pushback.

The beauty of the five layers Catagorization is to be able to pin point to the root cause and it's effect. Nim Lik doesn't make sense because the mind layer can only provide direction , while the Lik or force has to comes from the physical and momentum layer.

Snake engine is a science, physics, and engineering process, which can be repeat by anyone to get result.

Nim Lik is mis naming. All Lik or force need a physical mechanics. Thinking or nim by itself cannot produce force. Here is my explanation of momentum , force and how different layers support . No mystery!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2vhm97tkf0

And in one two minute clip, John has shown more than you have in your endless droning videos.

I think you need a choreographer

GlennR
03-15-2013, 02:44 PM

Good topic John, ill give it some thought and respond later today

imperialtaichi
03-15-2013, 03:39 PM
When you are relax, your opponent is also relax. IMO, you may want to play a bit more "aggressive" game and "shake" him (you have already obtained the control that you need for your "shaking"). It's better to scare him to death than to give him a peaceful mind to search for his "inner peace".

To me, the principle of "shaking" may work better than sticky, yield, follow, ... The more that you can give, the more that you can take. If you are not willing to give, you may have to wait for a long time to be able to get anything. This is why I don't like "internal". If your opponent dosn't commit then you won't commit, you and your girlfriend will never be able to have the 1st date.

John, this is an illustration of principles, independent of styles. You can add whatever you want to add in. Shakes, breaks, strikes, pins, whatever.

kung fu fighter
03-15-2013, 04:19 PM

Hey John,

You had promised to put up some footage of your Kulo 22 fook fu and hanging 8 two-man san sik sets as well as an explaination of the applications and intent. is this it?

imperialtaichi
03-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Hey John,

You had promised to put up some footage of your Kulo 22 fook fu and hanging 8 two-man san sik sets as well as an explaination of the applications and intent. is this it?

This is part of the "Fook Fu" method, though NOT using the Fook Fu hands (although the TC looking bit at the beginning is VERY typical of Fook Fu, I even repositioned my hands to one up one down without realising it). I have only a short window of opportunity after class yesterday (you can hear the Kendo girls yelling in the background ;) ). I WILL put something up. I may have to put it on my FB page.

The hardest thing about demonstrating the Hang 8 two man set is to find someone fluent enough to do it with me!