PDA

View Full Version : Leung Sheun Lineage

poulperadieux
03-18-2013, 06:59 AM
Hello,

It's been a few years since I got interested in the Leung Sheun Schools, the way they think the practice, do the forms, and their fight Strategies.

There's a few documents on the net, here are some :

Siu lim tao official Kenneth Cheung : (with the stance detailed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e4_PUXRKyY

Wooden Dummy (non official, but close to what I saw) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEkqI329-M0

There's some Chum kiu on youtube, but cant put my hand on the link.

If someone want to share his experience in this way, he's welcome.

Ali. R
03-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Hello,

It's been a few years since I got interested in the Leung Sheun Schools, the way they think the practice, do the forms, and their fight Strategies.

Most of everything that’s practiced in the Leung Shenug system is based on “chum” and “softness”. One of the main reason why? As my Sifu Woo Ching stated is; “because Leung was a tall/strong man”. And Yip Man taught his students based on their body structures, attributes and abilities. My teacher trained with Leung Sheung for over 8 years.

Leung Sheung being taller than others was taught by ‘Yip Man’ how a smaller framed man could move a bigger person around the room, in which he’d (Yip Man)
taught Leung Sheung how to counter that from a stance point of view.

And by being bigger/stronger than most, he was always stressed the importance of softness, and that’s to be able to keep up with the smaller man. Because once his stance was fixed (good), his size combined with his bodyweight/center of gravity and softness only enhanced his mobility and structural prowess, as if he was the smaller guy.

And you’ll never see our shoulders go upwards or our hands go above our clavicle, because if that happens, the bigger man would never take back or have control of his center mass, if taken. The stance that we use is the original concept taught by Yip Man, but other families have their own versions from what I’m told.

And there’s nothing wrong with that, because most students do it all the time (change their stance), which is a personality thing based on what they do (wing chun) or it’s just their version.

But for the bigger man, he must keep and use that structure to be successful and it works even better for the smaller man as well. The only thing I see that is diffident on that clip; the elbows are pointed backwards or behind him; when we sink/point them downwards to develop more “chum” and stable rooting as a bigger person.

Ali.

poulperadieux
03-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Thanks for that explaination !

Happy Tiger
03-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Most of everything that’s practiced in the Leung Shenug system is based on “chum” and “softness”. One of the main reason why? As my Sifu Woo Ching stated is; “because Leung was a tall/strong man”. And Yip Man taught his students based on their body structures, attributes and abilities. My teacher trained with Leung Sheung for over 8 years.

Leung Sheung being taller than others was taught by ‘Yip Man’ how a smaller framed man could move a bigger person around the room, in which he’d (Yip Man)
taught Leung Sheung how to counter that from a stance point of view.

And by being bigger/stronger than most, he was always stressed the importance of softness, and that’s to be able to keep up with the smaller man. Because once his stance was fixed (good), his size combined with his bodyweight/center of gravity and softness only enhanced his mobility and structural prowess, as if he was the smaller guy.

And you’ll never see our shoulders go upwards or our hands go above our clavicle, because if that happens, the bigger man would never take back or have control of his center mass, if taken. The stance that we use is the original concept taught by Yip Man, but other families have their own versions from what I’m told.

And there’s nothing wrong with that, because most students do it all the time (change their stance), which is a personality thing based on what they do (wing chun) or it’s just their version.

But for the bigger man, he must keep and use that structure to be successful and it works even better of the smaller man as well. The only thing I see that is diffident on that clip; the elbow are pointed backwards or behind him when we sink/point them downwards to develop more “chum” and stable rooting as a bigger person.

Ali.
This is a good interpretation. My belief is this kind of 'soft' deep shifting method is a result of Red Boat environment experience. A way to deploy VT technology in extremely tight restricted confines such as found on the boats and docks of the Red Boat period. The lay out of these boats found one standing and fighting on slats like 4 by 6's many dangerous obsticles and of course ya don't wanna end up over the railing. This shifting style that revolves around the elbow gives one an advantage over center body method under these conditions IMHO.

poulperadieux
03-18-2013, 10:37 AM
To add to Ali's interprętation, I was drawn into Leung Shen principles because of my size and my pas in things less girly than Wing Chun.

I don't think this approach is more efficient, I won't sell that, but, for me, it's a lot of fun.