PDA

View Full Version : Ever wonder why there aren't too many new users on this forum?

gunbeatskroty
03-21-2013, 08:19 PM
that random question in the registration is ridiculously difficult.

my friend asked me what was the answer, but i forgot since it's been a while.

so he can't sign up, after trying many times to answer it.

Raipizo
03-21-2013, 11:44 PM
It really is, it's too specific Gene. We demand change! At least a decent capcha or something.

David Jamieson
03-22-2013, 06:18 AM
I've been here so long I registered before there were random questions!

What's the question?

SoCo KungFu
03-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Is it the same one when you do a forum search? Ie What magazine is associated with the forum? And the other, Who sponsors the forum? Or something like that. I don't think the magazine one should give anyone difficulty.

SoCo KungFu
03-22-2013, 07:57 AM
I've been here so long I registered before there were random questions!

What's the question?

Didn't you originally have to send letters to each other on horse back? That must have made WC debates incredibly tedious. :)

David Jamieson
03-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Didn't you originally have to send letters to each other on horse back? That must have made WC debates incredibly tedious. :)

Stage Coaches and pony express were the only viable way at the start.
We tried that new fangled telegraph once, but it got overloaded when Tesla started up his wireless energy tower. So, we had to rethink that too.

But, finally, in the end the password was shared and it was two puffs of smoke from the campfire and you were in. We just shouted at each other across the chasm for a while and then the internet happened.

It's been nothing but net since then.

Robinhood
03-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Their are not many new people because of the meat head mentality of the regulars here who don't have a life.:rolleyes:

GeneChing
03-22-2013, 10:45 AM
If you don't know the name of our newsstand magazine and our primary sponsor, you have no right to participate on this forum.

I approve several new members every day. I only get a few inquiries about what the answers might be - maybe one or two a month - and I always provide the answer if asked nicely.

Raipizo
03-22-2013, 11:32 AM
If you don't know the name of our newsstand magazine and our primary sponsor, you have no right to participate on this forum.

I approve several new members every day. I only get a few inquiries about what the answers might be - maybe one or two a month - and I always provide the answer if asked nicely.

It's not even that they don't know it's just oddly specific, at least when I joined it was. Is it Kung fu tai chi magazine, Kung fu magazine? Not sure if it's case sensitive either, I just think captcha would be more effective, but I am not our mighty and powerful overlord Gene Ching, I am just a peon.

GeneChing
03-22-2013, 11:41 AM
...but people manage to get it. I approved two more today, which is a little less than usual. And like I said, if anyone emails me to ask, I provide the answers.

Syn7
03-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Ha. I remember when I joined you deemed me a bot/fake/dummyaccount and axed me. :p like 5 emails later all was good. I do not envy you in this endeavour. :D

SoCo KungFu
03-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Their are not many new people because of the meat head mentality of the regulars here who don't have a life.:rolleyes:

See that's funny, because there's those nifty, little stats on the right side of the field. Take for instance, in under two years, you've managed to make nearly as many posts as I have in six. And your's have far less substance, which is bad, because I have **** all to say of value.

Maybe you should go outside.

SoCo KungFu
03-22-2013, 12:02 PM
They aren't bad questions. Anyone can make a couple clicks and figure it out. The spaces on the sponsor question are annoying when you keep forgetting and you get popped with it every time you want to do a forum search. But its not difficult, just annoying. But so are captcha's

gunbeatskroty
03-22-2013, 01:35 PM

No, the problem is that the answer requires it to be in an exact form, with exact capitalization (or non-caps) of certain letters or such. I can't remember exactly.

MasterKiller
03-22-2013, 01:42 PM
It's because we don't have a dedicated tranny forum.

DJ is already in line to be the mod if Gene would ever approve it.

Syn7
03-22-2013, 02:07 PM
They aren't bad questions. Anyone can make a couple clicks and figure it out. The spaces on the sponsor question are annoying when you keep forgetting and you get popped with it every time you want to do a forum search. But its not difficult, just annoying. But so are captcha's

reCaptchas are a great idea though. Slowly confirming printed text into the digital world. The first word is a known, the second is an unknown. If you get the known reference right they assume you got the unknown one right. If enough people type in the same answer for the unknown, they call it confirmed and it goes into the archive. This is how they are slowly digitizing books. I think it's a great idea. Crowd source!!!

http://www.google.com/recaptcha

Really, great idea.

annieb
03-23-2013, 09:24 AM

Yes you do. Thank you. :)

I had a hard time finding the correct email though - not that I'm complaining.

Lee Chiang Po
03-23-2013, 04:03 PM
that random question in the registration is ridiculously difficult.

my friend asked me what was the answer, but i forgot since it's been a while.

so he can't sign up, after trying many times to answer it.

I think if you really want on the forum you can get on it easily enough. I think the forum has a huge following, but not many post to it. If you will just take names for a week of posts and just see who is posting, you will see that it is just a small hand full of people. Amongst this small hand full of people you have a lot of bullies. Smart remarks, trash talking, you name it. Not everyone enjoys fighting over the internet.

gunbeatskroty
03-23-2013, 04:09 PM
I think if you really want on the forum you can get on it easily enough. I think the forum has a huge following, but not many post to it. If you will just take names for a week of posts and just see who is posting, you will see that it is just a small hand full of people. Amongst this small hand full of people you have a lot of bullies. Smart remarks, trash talking, you name it. Not everyone enjoys fighting over the internet.

The following could be better, if not much better. Why risk such potentials? Wouldn't the paying advertisers be happier?

Why make it crazy difficult for? The main intent of such questions is to prevent spammers from registering with automated bots. All that would require is something like 1+2+3+8 = .

Syn7
03-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Considering the average intelligence here, I have to say that I am glad there is at least some kind of intelligence filter. Of course some difficulty could be attributed to people who just aren't computer saavy or haven't the know how or haven't taken the time to look around on their own for a few mins. But like Gene said, if you ask nice, he'll hook you up. If you are that impatient though, I for one won't really miss ya. ;)

When I signed up I wrote my real name as Syn Seven. Gene was having none of that. So I used a more believable alias and all was good. :D

SoCo KungFu
03-23-2013, 10:40 PM
When I signed up I wrote my real name as Syn Seven.

Ha I just put that together. I never noticed the 7. Or that Syn was "sin." I always sorta just thought, "synthetic." The funny random things you don't pick up on when you were raised in a totally different environment. 7 sins vs synthetic. You can tell where my pattern seeking mind defaults to. One of the decisions my parents made I am more thankful of.

Syn7
03-24-2013, 01:23 AM
Actually the funny part is that it has nothing to do with the 7 deadly sins. But the name is often taken in forums or whatever and I'm sure that's why. It's an old name from years ago that followed me around and stuck.

David Jamieson
03-24-2013, 07:00 AM
It's because we don't have a dedicated tranny forum.

DJ is already in line to be the mod if Gene would ever approve it.

Only if you lend me the dress and your Lee™ press on boobs.

GeneChing
03-25-2013, 11:03 AM
We used a kaptcha initially (we get a lot of spider/spam applications) but we intentionally switched to the questions because this forum really exists to promote our magazine and sponsors.

I think if you really want on the forum you can get on it easily enough. I think the forum has a huge following, but not many post to it. If you will just take names for a week of posts and just see who is posting, you will see that it is just a small hand full of people. This is true - there are many more lurkers than posters - in fact, there's an astounding difference between the two. We can tell by the page views. That's an interesting point, as all discussions here are on display for anyone with a web connection to see.

When I signed up I wrote my real name as Syn Seven. Gene was having none of that. So I used a more believable alias and all was good. :D I don't remember that. There's an automatic function that rejects applications that look like spam spiders. Perhaps you didn't fill everything out to the satisfaction of our forum robot monitor because I can't see why it would not have allowed that name. :confused:

Only if you lend me the dress and your Lee™ press on boobs. Nice mental image. Way to ruin my Monday, and it's barely begun. :mad:

Syn7
03-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Dunno... :D

Either way, it all worked out. :) It's not like it was difficult or anything.

I appreciate the effort to keep out the spam though. :p

Quite often I see new members or like one time posters who seem to know what's going on already. I imagine you guys get a lot of random traffic too.

rett
03-26-2013, 07:13 AM
No, the problem is that the answer requires it to be in an exact form, with exact capitalization (or non-caps) of certain letters or such. I can't remember exactly.

I had the same problem. I just couldn't get it to work. Gene emailed the answer and I felt like an idjit because it was what I'd been typing the whole time and after Gene helped me it worked. I still don't know what I was doing wrong. Must be a bit dyslexic.

GoldenBrain
03-26-2013, 08:55 AM
I thought it was an easy question but that's probably due to my eleventy-million IQ.:cool:

Kellen Bassette
03-26-2013, 08:55 AM

I can't imagine any possible circumstance where the WC debates could be more tedious than they are now.

GoldenBrain
03-26-2013, 09:19 AM
You got that right KB! There's Yong Chun in our Five Animal Sil-Lum system which predates the more modern IP Man versions I see today. There aren't any forms to our Yong Chun, just techniques and training methods so we view it as just another chamber of Sil-Lum if you will, much like moving on from Crane to Tiger to Leopard to Mantis to Dragon...etc. I would love to talk about it and compare notes but every time I visit that forum I just sigh and move on to one of the other more entertaining forums.

YouKnowWho
03-26-2013, 09:28 AM
I can't imagine any possible circumstance where the WC debates could be more tedious than they are now.
Do people realize that we just don't see the same kind of debating among other TCMA systems. If people train the same style as you do, you should give them as much courage as you can instead of discourage them. Who cares if your hip throw is different from mine as long as it works in combat.

Scott R. Brown
03-26-2013, 09:42 AM
What is up with this magic question?

I registered somewhere between 12-14 years ago.

I don't think we had a question back then, did we Gene?!

Brule
03-26-2013, 10:01 AM

I don't think we had a question back then, did we Gene?!

Back then they would send the questions via messenger. Your messenger was probably captured and killed travelling across the lands. KFM felt pity on you cause you're using a middle initial, so they accepted you as their own and permitted entry into this heavenly gate.

Or, the system screwed up. :D

Kellen Bassette
03-26-2013, 10:21 AM
I would love to talk about it and compare notes but every time I visit that forum I just sigh and move on to one of the other more entertaining forums.

Me too, it's usually so silly and trivial I can't bring myself to participate. And you see the stuff we comment on here, so that' saying something! :p

Kellen Bassette
03-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Do people realize that we just don't see the same kind of debating among other TCMA systems. If people train the same style as you do, you should give them as much courage as you can instead of discourage them. Who cares if your hip throw is different from mine as long as it works in combat.

Yea..I didn't mean to turn this into a ragging on WC thing. I really have nothing against the art; but I've never seen such a collection of anal retentive, malcontent biddies.

I know it's not everyone, but it's at least 95%. :p Must be something about the system that attracts that personality.

Kellen Bassette
03-26-2013, 10:27 AM
KFM felt pity on you cause you're using a middle initial, so they accepted you as their own and permitted entry into this heavenly gate.

For real...I thought only serial killers, assassins and movie stars/singers, with the same name as a more famous person, used their middle initial. :p

Scott R. Brown
03-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Back then they would send the questions via messenger. Your messenger was probably captured and killed travelling across the lands. KFM felt pity on you cause you're using a middle initial, so they accepted you as their own and permitted entry into this heavenly gate.

Or, the system screwed up. :D

Yeah! That's probably it!:D

For real...I thought only serial killers, assassins and movie stars/singers, with the same name as a more famous person, used their middle initial. :p

That is true!

Welcome to MY list, BTW!:eek:

Kellen Bassette
03-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Welcome to MY list, BTW!:eek:
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4943345040687782&pid=15.1

Wanna grab coffee sometime? :o

Scott R. Brown
03-26-2013, 11:35 AM
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4943345040687782&pid=15.1

Wanna grab coffee sometime? :o

He he, he he.....I've already had coffee with you!!!!!:D

Weeee ooooo Weeeeeeee!!!!!!!:eek:

Syn7
03-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Yea..I didn't mean to turn this into a ragging on WC thing. I really have nothing against the art; but I've never seen such a collection of anal retentive, malcontent biddies.

I know it's not everyone, but it's at least 95%. :p Must be something about the system that attracts that personality.

Raging on WC is always appropriate.

RickMatz
03-26-2013, 12:45 PM
It could be worse. There could be three question (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWS8Mg-JWSg)s.

GeneChing
03-27-2013, 09:36 AM

I don't think we had a question back then, did we Gene?! I can't quite remember when we launched the question now. It's been a while. I suppose I could check my records. Once the forum here reached a certain magnitude, we were swarmed with spam spider - like hundreds a day - which all had to be manually deleted. So we put the question in place because spam spiders are too stupid to be able to answer it. We actually started with a Kapcha question that came with vBulletin, but it didn't work very well. I'm sure that works fine now, but after we found the question function, well, like I said, you need to know who's paying to keep the lights on around here, and if you're feeling grateful for the forum, subscribe (http://www.martialartsmart.com/19341.html) and support (http://www.martialartsmart.com/)!

GoldenBrain
03-27-2013, 03:14 PM
I just did my part.:) And, 60 percent off the 2 year subscription price is pretty sweet!

Syn7
03-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Nice... Do they take paypal? Maybe I will actually support for a change. I've always liked the mag. While much of it holds no real interest for me these days, I always manage to find a few gems that make it worth my few dollars. I haven't bought one for like two years now. But since I'm always stirring the pot here, I prolly should support yall.

Scott R. Brown
03-27-2013, 03:30 PM
....since I'm always stirring the pot here, I prolly should support yall.

I have never done any pot, but I heard you are supposed to smoke it I think, not stir it!

I could be wrong though, growing Amish and all that, one tends to miss some things about the big, bad world!:confused:

Syn7
03-27-2013, 03:41 PM
I have never done any pot, but I heard you are supposed to smoke it I think, not stir it!

I could be wrong though, growing Amish and all that, one tends to miss some things about the big, bad world!:confused:

I'm from BC. Ganja is one of our staples. We smoke weed like southerners eat fried chicken!

RELIGIOUSLY!

:D

Did you really grow up Amish? When did you turn "english"?

I bet the Amish could grow some serious nasty if they wanted to. Them cats know how to grow!

I love the Family Guy where peter battles the Amish and they keep rebuilding the barn. Hilarious.

I know a menonite, but she's pretty progressive now.

Scott R. Brown
03-27-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm from BC. Ganja is one of our staples. We smoke weed like southerners eat fried chicken!

RELIGIOUSLY!

Did you really grow up Amish? When did you turn "english"?

I bet the Amish could grow some serious nasty if they wanted to. Them cats know how to grow!

I love the Family Guy where peter battles the Amish and they keep rebuilding the barn. Hilarious.

I know a menonite, but she's pretty progressive now.

Menonites are already progressive Amish!!!:eek:

SPLITTERS!!!!!:mad:

(Only my online persona grew up Amish! Do you know how hard it is for a 6 year old to maintain a full beard?!)

Syn7
03-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Menonites are already progressive Amish!!!:eek:

SPLITTERS!!!!!:mad:

(Only my online persona grew up Amish! Do you know how hard it is for a 6 year old to maintain a full beard?!)

Yeah she had electricity and appliances and stuff. Nothing state of the art, of course. But they still worked hard. I really liked her family a lot. Well, everything but the constant preaching and conversion attempts. But man, mom could freakin cooook! Totally worth the sitting through the random sermons.

The Amish would have kept me in a box, I couldn't grow a full beard till I was like 19. That and churning butter and milling corn by hand does not appeal to my modern lazyness!

Scott R. Brown
03-27-2013, 04:28 PM
The Amish would have kept me in a box, I couldn't grow a full beard till I was like 19. That and churning butter and milling corn by hand does not appeal to my modern lazyness!

Not to mention "hook and loop" instead of buttons and zippers!

Syn7
03-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Not to mention "hook and loop" instead of buttons and zippers!

Uggh, freakin' monsters they are!

GeneChing
03-27-2013, 05:52 PM
I just did my part.:) And, 60 percent off the 2 year subscription price is pretty sweet!

Nice... Do they take paypal? Maybe I will actually support for a change. I've always liked the mag. While much of it holds no real interest for me these days, I always manage to find a few gems that make it worth my few dollars. I haven't bought one for like two years now. But since I'm always stirring the pot here, I prolly should support yall. We don't take paypal. You can support us by subscription (http://www.martialartsmart.com/19341.html) or by picking us up at the newsstands, if you can find a newsstand large enough to carry niche mags. Either way, we appreciate your support.

Vash
03-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Are y'all still in Barnes and Noble? I like to have a conversation-starting magazine on hand when I go to flirt with any woman oldschool enough to be in a book store.

GeneChing
03-28-2013, 05:46 PM
We are indeed at most B&N's but not at every one. If you go to your local B&N and don't find us, demand it.

And good luck with that oldschool woman.

JamesC
03-28-2013, 07:45 PM
I was at my B&N yesterday and didn see your mag. I requested it, but I don't think they took it seriously:(

GeneChing
03-29-2013, 09:26 AM
Go back there and challenge (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65638) them! Break their sign if you have to. Every decent newsstand should carry us.

Vash
03-29-2013, 11:18 AM
LOL @ 'decent' newsstand. B&N is where the old go to pee.

And also where I mack.

Don't hate.

GeneChing
03-29-2013, 12:56 PM
And also where I mack.

TMI.

TEE EMM EYE.

No wonder why the newsstands are going extinct...:o

Vash
03-29-2013, 01:31 PM
TMI.

TEE EMM EYE.

No wonder why the newsstands are going extinct...:o

Stop hatin'. You know that warms the Snake Engine in your Dan Tien.