03-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Found this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFF68OgnWPw&sns=em

Happy Tiger
03-25-2013, 09:19 PM
sweeeeeeet

Lee Chiang Po
03-25-2013, 09:21 PM
I have always wondered why it was spelled wrong, but now I see that it is not actually wing chun at all. I know absolutely nothing about this system of fighting.

poulperadieux
03-26-2013, 12:05 AM
I have always wondered why it was spelled wrong, but now I see that it is not actually wing chun at all. I know absolutely nothing about this system of fighting.

Just wondering, as I'm not a VT user at all, how do you define what Wing Chun is , and what isn't?

BPWT
03-26-2013, 02:17 AM
At 4:00, is that a really young David Peterson? :)

k gledhill
03-26-2013, 04:01 AM
At 4:00, is that a really young David Peterson? :)

Yes ........

Grumblegeezer
03-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Nice vid. Thanks.

Regarding David Peterson's WSL Ving Tsun ... Can you tell me in a very general way how his instruction differs from PB WSL VT?

Oh, and @Lee Chiang Po ... are you just being cheeky or what? Please elaborate.

Graham H
03-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Nice vid. Thanks.

Regarding David Peterson's WSL Ving Tsun ... Can you tell me in a very general way how his instruction differs from PB WSL VT?

They have different thinking on Ving Tsun.

k gledhill
03-26-2013, 01:28 PM

Have you heard of Wong Shun Leung / Bruce Lee ?

k gledhill
03-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Nice vid. Thanks.

Oh, and @Lee Chiang Po ... are you just being cheeky or what? Please elaborate.

Never met DP so can't give any comparison.

JPinAZ
03-26-2013, 02:30 PM
They have different thinking on Ving Tsun.

no kidding :rolleyes:
Care to elaborate? I was curious on this as well. What areas do they differ? Just training methods, or concepts/principles as well?

Graham H
03-26-2013, 03:14 PM
no kidding :rolleyes:
Care to elaborate? I was curious on this as well. What areas do they differ? Just training methods, or concepts/principles as well?

No I don't care to elaborate.

k gledhill
03-26-2013, 05:48 PM

Funny considering the nice way he asked. ; )

Graham H
03-27-2013, 02:21 AM

Yes because he's known for that :)

I respect both guys. Both have done a lot to promote WSLVT since his passing. They have sacrificed many hours out of their lives both teaching and training hard. There are 1000's of people (myself included) that are grateful for that.

As for me I prefer PB's thinking on WSLVT. People will not be able to understand why until they meet both men and then it's down to what that person wants from their Ving Tsun and which direction he/she wants to progress.

The last place to discuss the differences between the two is on this forum.

BPWT
03-27-2013, 04:32 AM
I'm not sure how old PB, David Peterson and Gary Lam are, or where they were based at various times in their lives.... does anyone know if these three people had over-lapping learning/instructional time with WSL?

(I don't mean learning from WSL with each other in class, but rather did they learn during the same period of time)

Kaybee
03-27-2013, 04:50 AM
PB first met WSL in 1982 and started learning from him in Januay 1983. I don't know exactly, but David Peterson startet ca. the same time. But I don't knwo if the two spent much time together. Gary Lam was the older Kung Fu brother of PB and they trained together as far as I know but I'm not sure when GL started learning under WSL guidance.
Btw. PB is 57 years old.

Kai

Graham H
03-27-2013, 05:00 AM
I'm not sure how old PB, David Peterson and Gary Lam are, or where they were based at various times in their lives.... does anyone know if these three people had over-lapping learning/instructional time with WSL?

(I don't mean learning from WSL with each other in class, but rather did they learn during the same period of time)

Time periods mean nothing. There so many factors that contribute to how and what a student learns from his Teacher which will have a direct effect on what the student cultivates and then goes on to teach.

It would have been the same for Ip Man as it is today and may explain why there are so many different versions of Ving Tsun.

BPWT
03-27-2013, 06:35 AM
PB first met WSL in 1982 and started learning from him in Januay 1983. I don't know exactly, but David Peterson startet ca. the same time. But I don't knwo if the two spent much time together. Gary Lam was the older Kung Fu brother of PB and they trained together as far as I know but I'm not sure when GL started learning under WSL guidance. Btw. PB is 57 years old. Kai

Many thanks! PB is older than I thought he'd be.

Time periods mean nothing. There so many factors that contribute to how and what a student learns from his Teacher which will have a direct effect on what the student cultivates and then goes on to teach. It would have been the same for Ip Man as it is today and may explain why there are so many different versions of Ving Tsun.

For sure - just wondering how WSL's development as VT'ner might have had an influence on the 'flavor' of these three guys teaching today.

Graham H
03-27-2013, 07:45 AM
Many thanks! PB is older than I thought he'd be.

He defies logic when you try and fight him :D

For sure - just wondering how WSL's development as VT'ner might have had an influence on the 'flavor' of these three guys teaching today.

I think the "flavour" of these three guys was determined by the guys themselves and not by any evolution that may have occurred during WSL's teaching years.

Happy Tiger
03-27-2013, 08:08 AM
My sifu (Li Man Kit) said sigong WSL not only encouraged scientific review of VT but personal growth through experience both personal and shared. Sifu said WSL inquired after his students applications and experiences if any in the field. Li Man Kit sifu has his own understanding of WSL VT that is fathfull yet unique.Sifu LMK always followed up with me any time my VT was used on the job in security and doorman roles

JPinAZ
03-27-2013, 08:37 AM

Yes because he's known for that :)

You guys are something else - Graham pretty much gives an obvious non-answer the first time and you have a problem with me asking him to elaborate?

The last place to discuss the differences between the two is on this forum.

If you don't want to discuss on a forum, then why did you bother to answer in the first place?

Graham H
03-27-2013, 09:05 AM
My sifu (Li Man Kit) said sigong WSL not only encouraged scientific review of VT but personal growth through experience both personal and shared. Sifu said WSL inquired after his students applications and experiences if any in the field. Li Man Kit sifu has his own understanding of WSL VT that is fathfull yet unique.Sifu LMK always followed up with me any time my VT was used on the job in security and doorman roles

I can't really see any point in discussing what happened in days gone by. There are more stories told in Ving Tsun than there are fairy tales and most are fairy tales.

WSL's first generation of students are still about so best thing to do is go visit them and then all becomes clear.

That's what I did anyway and in my opinion PB is second to none BUT that is my opinion and one that may not be shared by everybody.

Graham H
03-27-2013, 09:06 AM
You guys are something else - Graham pretty much gives an obvious non-answer the first time and you have a problem with me asking him to elaborate?

If you don't want to discuss on a forum, then why did you bother to answer in the first place?

Good point. I won't bother in future.

Happy Tiger
03-27-2013, 09:09 AM
I can't really see any point in discussing what happened in days gone by. There are more stories told in Ving Tsun than there are fairy tales and most are fairy tales.

WSL's first generation of students are still about so best thing to do is go visit them and then all becomes clear.

That's what I did anyway and in my opinion PB is second to none BUT that is my opinion and one that may not be shared by everybody.
Good enough. Li Man Kit sifu is first generation WSL. 14 years.:)

Grumblegeezer
03-27-2013, 10:16 AM
PB first met WSL in 1982 and started learning from him in Januay 1983. I don't know exactly, but David Peterson startet ca. the same time. But I don't knwo if the two spent much time together. Gary Lam was the older Kung Fu brother of PB and they trained together as far as I know but I'm not sure when GL started learning under WSL guidance.
Btw. PB is 57 years old.

Kai

Thanks for giving this background. I don't know why some of the others on this forum are so cagey. Maybe because of the way they've gone after other people's sifus? Doesn't matter. From what little I've seen and heard about Philip Bayer and David Peterson, I have great respect for both, and if I could afford to travel, I would greatly enjoy the honor of meeting them.

Can't say the same about some of their students.

thedreamer7
03-27-2013, 10:17 AM
You guys like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HP5x5ZsgJ70#!

Graham H
03-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Can't say the same about some of their students.

How can you make that assumption based on what is wrote on the internet? :confused:

I draw no final conclusions about people until I meet them face to face no matter what is wrote on here. If I did I think there would be something wrong with me.

Are you ok? :D

Grumblegeezer
03-27-2013, 12:32 PM
How can you make that assumption based on what is wrote on the internet? :confused:

I draw no final conclusions about people until I meet them face to face no matter what is wrote on here. If I did I think there would be something wrong with me.

Are you ok? :D

Graham, you're quite right that sometimes the written word can give a false impression. But what you write is an expression of yourself, as much as are the words you speak. If someone makes a bad impression with their words, spoken or written, it will tend to color how others view them.

On the other hand, I'm an open-minded kinda guy. If I got it all wrong, I'm happy to change my mind. :cool:

Graham H
03-27-2013, 02:21 PM
Graham, you're quite right that sometimes the written word can give a false impression. But what you write is an expression of yourself, as much as are the words you speak. If someone makes a bad impression with their words, spoken or written, it will tend to color how others view them.

It l depends how you interpret what you read.