PDA

View Full Version : traditional kung fu in michigan lansing

bawang
04-11-2013, 03:53 PM
hay guys,
i may be going to schoos in lansing michigan, and i am wondering if anyone is from michigan, and knows any good kung fu teachers in.

i been in small town for 5 years and havent found any srs martial artists to train wit, other than tkd guys pretending to do muay thai. since lansing is a big city, i thought maybe there would be badass manly men of ultimate badasses, who train kung fu and not scare of death.

MightyB
04-12-2013, 05:40 AM
hay guys,
i may be attending university in lansing michigan, and i am wondering if anyone is from michigan, and knows any good kung fu teachers in lansing.

i been in small town for 5 years and havent found any srs martial artists to train wit, other than tkd guys pretending to do muay thai. since lansing is a big city, i thought maybe there would be badass manly men of ultimate badasses, who train kung fu and not scare of death.

Unfortunately I never found any traditional kung fu in Lansing. You can find good kung fu in Grand Rapids, Midland, and Ann Arbor (I never looked in Detroit, but there's probably some there)... all would require a bit of a commute. There's a few decent MMA clubs around you that regularly put people in fights if that's your thang.

I'm in Mt. Pleasant / Midland area now and that's about an hour from you.

David Jamieson
04-12-2013, 05:52 AM
Yeah, if you don't get out of your house and go meet people and train with them, it's not going to happen for you again there. lol :p

Brule
04-12-2013, 05:55 AM
You need to try this place. http://www.yelp.ca/biz/the-kung-fu-lansing you need to be diligent though as they don't look like a place to train kung fu and they may even tell you that but don't let that discourage you. Most likely you'll have to kneel at the front steps for several days to show your sincerity and then they may take you in.

Good luck in your search.

bawang
04-12-2013, 06:02 AM
Yeah, if you don't get out of your house and go meet people and train with them, it's not going to happen for you again there. lol :p

i have met plenty, but they are insane.

bawang
04-12-2013, 06:04 AM
You need to try this place. http://www.yelp.ca/biz/the-kung-fu-lansing you need to be diligent though as they don't look like a place to train kung fu and they may even tell you that but don't let that discourage you. Most likely you'll have to kneel at the front steps for several days to show your sincerity and then they may take you in.

Good luck in your search.

thank you sir, it looks like a very magical place full of magical adventure.

Unfortunately I never found any traditional kung fu in Lansing. You can find good kung fu in Grand Rapids, Midland, and Ann Arbor (I never looked in Detroit, but there's probably some there)... all would require a bit of a commute. There's a few decent MMA clubs around you that regularly put people in fights if that's your thang.

no traditional kung fu in lansing? ill prolly find a mma club then.
do u think i can teach traditional kung fu on the side?

Orion Paximus
04-12-2013, 06:19 AM
There is only one true traditional Kung Fu school in Michigan. The great-grandmaster is descended from the only true Showlyn (they spell it that way because that is the true way it was spelled in ancient China 3,000 years ago) lineage that exists. Everything else is girly wushu made for dancing with women and fighting midgets.

Of course you could always move to a real state like utah where you can learn Kung Fu from your 8 wives, all of whom are would be your deadly assassin body guards.

bawang
04-12-2013, 06:29 AM
how can lansing not have kung fu people? doesnt it have over 500 thousand people?

David Jamieson
04-12-2013, 07:31 AM
i have met plenty, but they are insane.

I believe you.

mawali
04-12-2013, 07:36 AM
I do not know if there are still traditional teachers but I met a few in the Ann Arbor area when I was doing post graduate work at Eastern Michigan in 1985. Most of my colleagues moved away from the area around 1990 ???

MightyB
04-12-2013, 07:38 AM

No doubt yes - find the University Asian Club and see about starting a subgroup and have them sponsor you. There may very well be a club in the university already.

If you're looking a MMA, Tyrone Gooden (http://magicbjj.com/page4/page5/page5.html) comes highly regarded in the local BJJ/MMA community there.

bawang
04-12-2013, 07:47 AM
No doubt yes - find the University Asian Club and see about starting a subgroup and have them sponsor you. There may very well be a club in the university already.

If you're looking a MMA, Tyrone Gooden (http://magicbjj.com/page4/page5/page5.html) comes highly regarded in the local BJJ/MMA community there.

didnt u say ur working at a university mang? which one u at?

I do not know if there are still traditional teachers but I met a few in the Ann Arbor area when I was doing post graduate work at Eastern Michigan in 1985. Most of my colleagues moved away from the area around 1990 ???

is this ann arbor also know as "anabo"? i heard some immigrants talking about a place called anabo.

MightyB
04-12-2013, 07:51 AM
didnt u say ur working at a university mang? which one u at?

I'm at Central Michigan University in Mt. Pleasant (there's no mountain).

GoldenBrain
04-12-2013, 07:52 AM

I think you should definitely train at a MMA club and seriously consider teaching traditional Kung Fu especially since there doesn't seem to be any in the area. I'm mostly a traditionalist but I used to roll and spar all the time at a local MMA club in the town I trained in Sil Lum. I found it extremely helpful since I like to spar hard. It's not that we didn't spar hard in our school, it's just that sparring amature to pro fighters adds a whole different dimension to the match. Trust me, you'll learn a lot by doing this and it may also help to validate your Kung Fu with the MMA crowd. The guys at the MMA school respect our Kung Fu school just as much as we respect them. It also brought a bunch of them into our seminars so if dollars are also a motivation then it couldn't hurt.

Brule
04-12-2013, 08:12 AM

Dude, just because bawang's Chinese heritage doesn't mean you need to send him strictly to an Asian Club. That's effed up!! :D

MightyB
04-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Dude, just because bawang's Chinese heritage doesn't mean you need to send him strictly to an Asian Club. That's effed up!! :D

They would know if someone's teaching traditional kung fu - also, it's tough to start a club without sponsorship. Official clubs get access and time in the fitness facility which is sweet.

On a side note, MSU's Judo Club is top knotch - and they used to have a couple of Sambo players that rolled with them.

GoldenBrain
04-12-2013, 08:25 AM

Hahaha! I think MightB was just being kind to the white guys. One of bawangs interests is to make us whities cry so it's more of a humanitarian gesture. Of course I'm also native american indian so I get a pass. (wipes sweat off forehead with great relief!) :D

Scott R. Brown
04-12-2013, 09:31 AM
1) There is no such thing as TRADITIONAL Kung Fu!! :( It is a myth!! Sorry to break your heart!

2) If bawang thinks someone is insane, THEY ARE!!!!:eek:

pazman
04-12-2013, 10:10 AM

No, that's not. You need sponsorship if you want to have space to train. I was approached by member of the Chinese student's association here to teach. It's not unreasonable.

And to be fair, in China foreign students would certainly not be allowed to start a club much less teach martial arts at a university.

pazman
04-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Bawang, join the Judo club. Kungfu people are strange.

What will you be studying?

Lucas
04-12-2013, 10:18 AM
I think bawang should join a good judo club too. i bet if you try out judo you would really like it bawang.

bawang
04-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Bawang, join the Judo club. Kungfu people are strange.

What will you be studying?

microbiology mang

I think bawang should join a good judo club too. i bet if you try out judo you would really like it bawang.

never forget pearl harber

Lucas
04-12-2013, 10:52 AM
keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

MightyB
04-12-2013, 11:04 AM
microbiology mang

never forget pearl harber

It's at Michigan - there's one German and one Russian exchange student, a couple of hot chicks, and a bunch of white people.

bawang
04-12-2013, 11:12 AM
It's at Michigan - there's one German and one Russian exchange student, a couple of hot chicks, and a bunch of white people.

NICE. but rasslin is better. with the gi you cant feel anything.

i learned some rasslin in high schoos, but the coach made fun of me and i quit.

bawang
04-12-2013, 11:18 AM
my womans is in boston. when i visit new york, i swear i will go to the school of mighty david ross, and prostate before him.

at last, i can learn the mighty lama pie from the mighty david ross himself.

Lucas
04-12-2013, 12:26 PM
NICE. but rasslin is better. with the gi you cant feel anything.

i learned some rasslin in high schoos, but the coach made fun of me and i quit.

a lot of clubs will have no gi nights too. plus you get the ne waza, which will get you some nice ground escapes/reversals and ways do dominate and have sexy time by force.

Dale Dugas
04-12-2013, 12:30 PM
you should visit Mike Gillespie.

http://www.a2shaolinkungfu.org/

Syn7
04-12-2013, 01:10 PM
a lot of clubs will have no gi nights too. plus you get the ne waza, which will get you some nice ground escapes/reversals and ways do dominate and have sexy time by force.

He will have the strength of 1000 ronnie colemans!!!

Lucas
04-12-2013, 01:24 PM
thats a lot of ronnie colemans

Dale Dugas
04-12-2013, 01:48 PM
my womans is in boston. when i visit new york, i swear i will go to the school of mighty david ross, and prostate before him.

at last, i can learn the mighty lama pie from the mighty david ross himself.

How about come visit me and I will buy you some noodles.

bawang
04-12-2013, 03:28 PM
How about come visit me and I will buy you some noodles.

you are not as powerful as david ross

Dale Dugas
04-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Maybe not, but my beard is cooler.

bawang
04-12-2013, 03:42 PM
your beard is not straight and flowing like guan gong, its curly like pubis of arab.

Dale Dugas
04-12-2013, 04:02 PM
nice one.

I extend my hand in salutation as well as greeting.

Let me know if you are in town. I owe you many beers.

Syn7
04-12-2013, 04:46 PM
I owe you many beers.

Make sure it's gluten free.

Yum Cha
04-13-2013, 03:46 PM
If Bwang wants to prostate before David Ross, I'll skip the video.

Michigan is the land of hunting. Bow and arrow and firearms training would be everywhere. I think the Bear Museum is around there somewhere?? All the trophies he killed with bow and arrow. Like going to the zoo, without the walk.

bawang
04-13-2013, 03:48 PM
If Bwang wants to prostate before David Ross, I'll skip the video.

Michigan is the land of hunting. Bow and arrow and firearms training would be everywhere. I think the Bear Museum is around there somewhere?? All the trophies he killed with bow and arrow. Like going to the zoo, without the walk.

im not a citizen, i dont know if i will be allowed to own fire dragon. im also scared of hillbillies who make me have accident during lesson, because i am the big fannies of obama.

Robinhood
04-13-2013, 05:10 PM
hay guys,
i may be going to schoos in lansing michigan, and i am wondering if anyone is from michigan, and knows any good kung fu teachers in.

Finally getting out of high school. ?

bawang
04-13-2013, 05:22 PM

do this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvOPyOkn7cc

it will make you less of a dog poosy.

Syn7
04-13-2013, 05:30 PM

He may joke around, but his intelligence far exceeds yours.

Robinhood
04-13-2013, 05:53 PM
do this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvOPyOkn7cc

it will make you less of a dog poosy.

Didn't you say that you were a little skinny computer nerd .? You might be more interested in the back door bars, to make you a man's man.:rolleyes:

Robinhood
04-13-2013, 05:55 PM
He may joke around, but his intelligence far exceeds yours.

Well it definitely exceeds yours.. :p

bawang
04-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Didn't you say that you were a little skinny computer nerd .? You might be more interested in the back door bars, to make you a man's man.:rolleyes:

i am strong. if you fight me, my pheromone would make your penus invert and turn you into womans. then we marry and live happily ever after, and fight crime as family.

TaichiMantis
04-14-2013, 05:25 AM

Yes, Grand Rapids Is about an hour from you also. But I don't think you should come here. Our Kung fu is too deadly for you....bwahahahaha!

clintonddk
05-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Last I knew Michigan State University had a kung fu club, plus this http://itama.org/instructors/sifulawrence.html

bawang
05-03-2013, 11:21 AM
thank you for your help man, but the guy looks like a new age turtle head. i aint into tantric sex with wrinkly old women. im just gonna visit some chinese association.

Lucas
05-03-2013, 01:08 PM
http://special.news.msu.edu/msuinchina/experts.php?experts

PalmStriker
05-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Hey Bawang! I'm about an hour and a half SouthEast of Lansing. Here's some links if you get hungry while you're there: https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+chinese+food,+lansing+michiga n&client=firefox-a&hs=2V8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=SWuEUY2tDsvo0wGQyYDYCA&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=807 :D

pazman
05-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Hey Bawang! I'm about an hour and a half SouthEast of Lansing. Here's some links if you get hungry while you're there: https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+chinese+food,+lansing+michiga n&client=firefox-a&hs=2V8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=SWuEUY2tDsvo0wGQyYDYCA&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=807 :D

Ehhhh, was hungry, but not hungry anymore.:(

PalmStriker
05-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Have you no Fu? :confused: http://cinemassacre.com/2001/01/09/kung-fu-werewolf-from-outer-space/

David Jamieson
05-06-2013, 06:30 AM
thank you for your help man, but the guy looks like a new age turtle head. i aint into tantric sex with wrinkly old women. im just gonna visit some chinese association.

"looks like"?

Who gives a flying F%$k what someone "looks like".
Shame on you. Look at your self. What do you see?

It's what someone brings to the table, what they offer. Not what they look like.
Jebas Bawang, you have more sense than that.

Syn7
05-06-2013, 07:18 AM
Look at your self. What do you see?

You really wanna know?

:p

bawang
05-06-2013, 07:21 AM
"looks like"?

Who gives a flying F%$k what someone "looks like".
Shame on you. Look at your self. What do you see?

i give the fuk. i see a powerful warrior with heart of lion and penus size can of pepsi.

It's what someone brings to the table, what they offer. Not what they look like.
Jebas Bawang, you have more sense than that.
take a look at that guy. now find a photo of davis ross, and stare into those cold, dead eyes. eyes that say, "i will cut off your genitals and eat it."
how you present yourself is what you want to be, what you want the world to see you as.

MightyB
05-06-2013, 07:27 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vFHPrffYx18/TWG2v0k9uZI/AAAAAAAAA8A/NGhnFtu-0Uw/s1600/mallard_duck.jpg

MightyB
05-06-2013, 07:29 AM
Take the trip to Midland.

bawang
05-06-2013, 07:33 AM
Take the trip to Midland.

what is dis "midland"

is it have magical adventur

MightyB
05-06-2013, 07:36 AM
what is dis "midland"

is it have magical adventur

Chung's School is there. Traditional 7* Mantis Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I'm back now, so I can grease you up and we can wrastle if you don't like the kung fu... although I think you like the kung fu.

David Jamieson
05-06-2013, 07:44 AM
i give the fuk. i see a powerful warrior with heart of lion and penus size can of pepsi.

take a look at that guy. now find a photo of davis ross, and stare into those cold, dead eyes. eyes that say, "i will cut off your genitals and eat it."
how you present yourself is what you want to be, what you want the world to see you as.

Shallow dude. You have succumbed to brain dead commercial kardashian world view.

I don't think Dave is physically or photographically intimidating in any way shape or form. lol. But thanks for the crazy bizzaro world visual.

bawang
05-06-2013, 07:46 AM
Chung's School is there. Traditional 7* Mantis Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I'm back now, so I can grease you up and we can wrastle if you don't like the kung fu... although I think you like the kung fu.

how far is it from east lansing? is it possible by bus? i no has car.

Shallow dude. You have succumbed to brain dead commercial kardashian world view.

I don't think Dave is physically or photographically intimidating in any way shape or form. lol. But thanks for the crazy bizzaro world visual.

its called face reading and body reading. its part of kung fu cultur.

im not gonna pay money to train under someone who looks like a eunuch, and get his wife banged by a giant black man every night.

MightyB
05-06-2013, 07:52 AM
how far is it from east lansing? is it possible by bus? i no has car.

its called face reading. its part of kung fu cultur

No bus, but I'll see if any Saturday students make the commute from Lansing. Some do from time to time. It's about an hour away.

and Jamieson I agree with Bawang... if it looks and quacks like a duck, then it's probably a... Not that there's anything wrong with that. But when a person presents himself as a chi hippy, it's probably because he's a chi hippy. Bawang seems to be more of a physical, put in the real work and get some bruises type of kung fu person.

David Jamieson
05-06-2013, 08:38 AM
No bus, but I'll see if any Saturday students make the commute from Lansing. Some do from time to time. It's about an hour away.

and Jamieson I agree with Bawang... if it looks and quacks like a duck, then it's probably a... Not that there's anything wrong with that. But when a person presents himself as a chi hippy, it's probably because he's a chi hippy. Bawang seems to be more of a physical, put in the real work and get some bruises type of kung fu person.

lol.

It's getting contagious!

carry on.

MightyB
05-06-2013, 08:45 AM
lol.

It's getting contagious!

carry on.

I don't think there's anything wrong with people doing martial arts or cma for reasons that are less than 'martial'.

TaichiMantis
05-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Yeah, go to Midland! ;)

David Jamieson
05-06-2013, 10:11 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with people doing martial arts or cma for reasons that are less than 'martial'.

There is absolutely nothing on that page or on the site it links to that says anything of the sort about alternate uses etc.

Face it, Bawang is just being a bitter racist again. :p

Lucas
05-06-2013, 10:32 AM
well it does say:

"Tai Chi is a sub-class of Nei Jia (Neijar), collectively known as the Internal Family of Chinese Kung Fu. It is offered to those more interested in form, low impact exercise and health maintenance rather than the actual application or the martial components of the art."

just in case you missed it :p

edit: i had the underlined and boldened all big and stuff too cuz i thought it was funny, but it just looked annoying.

MightyB
05-06-2013, 10:42 AM
well it does say:

"Tai Chi is a sub-class of Nei Jia (Neijar), collectively known as the Internal Family of Chinese Kung Fu. It is offered to those more interested in form, low impact exercise and health maintenance rather than the actual application or the martial components of the art."

just in case you missed it :p

edit: i had the underlined and boldened all big and stuff too cuz i thought it was funny, but it just looked annoying.

at least they're honest.

Lucas
05-06-2013, 10:46 AM
ya for sure. it never made sense to me for people to front like they're martial when they do no application work...its like what you think people wont notice?

bawang
05-06-2013, 10:56 AM
There is absolutely nothing on that page or on the site it links to that says anything of the sort about alternate uses etc.

Face it, Bawang is just being a bitter racist again. :p

how is disliking old aging pathetic hippies racist?

you never had a 60 year old woman bow to you and say namaste at a tai chi lesson, and invite you to a tantric workshop. fukin disgusting, man.

Lucas
05-06-2013, 11:10 AM

You never had a 60 year old woman bow to you and say namaste at a tai chi lesson, and invite you to a tantric workshop. Fukin disgusting, man.

lol!!!!!!!!!!

MightyB
05-06-2013, 11:11 AM

you never had a 60 year old woman bow to you and say namaste at a tai chi lesson, and invite you to a tantric workshop. fukin disgusting, man.

Did you go? :)

bawang
05-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Did you go? :)

i told her i have aids.

theres also a couple of bak sil lum guys that teach tai chi exclusively to young college women. they try to seduce them during push hands. they hang out at the coffee shop next to campus for 4 hours a day handing out flyer to girls.

Lucas
05-06-2013, 11:14 AM
did she care?

MightyB
05-06-2013, 11:14 AM
i told her i have aids.

You should've went. Could've learned some awesome chi kung from that ol' cougar!

bawang
05-06-2013, 11:17 AM
You should've went. Could've learned some awesome chi kung from that ol' cougar!

its virgine is a blind sac, a bottomless pit. no life comes out, only death.

Lucas
05-06-2013, 11:46 AM
dont forget the despair

clintonddk
05-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Boy, I am almost sorry I went to the trouble of posting. Its to bad that you are judging a fortune ****ie before getting to the fortune. At lest its nice to know Chung's is still around in Midland.

bawang
05-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Boy, I am almost sorry I went to the trouble of posting. Its to bad that you are judging a fortune ****ie before getting to the fortune. At lest its nice to know Chung's is still around in Midland.

i forgive you, my son.

Lucas
05-06-2013, 04:54 PM
i forgive you, my son.

Are you Jesus?

clintonddk
05-07-2013, 04:41 AM
No, he more like pubescents and supercilious!

MightyB
05-07-2013, 05:41 AM
Bawang seems to be more of a physical, put in the real work and get some bruises type of kung fu person.

See... bruises.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/477187_10200348372009493_261372843_o.jpg

anybody got some jou?

clintonddk
05-07-2013, 07:38 AM
Nope, just tiger plan.

Yum Cha
05-07-2013, 05:42 PM
"Like a Baby's arm holding an apple"