PDA

View Full Version : Catch something on the way back

YouKnowWho
04-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Old Chinese saying said, "收手的時候,手上要帶著東西回來,(When you pull your punch, you have to catch something on the way back)".

When you punch and your opponent blocks, your punch should change into a grab. This way you can pull your opponent's arm back.

I find this principle is an excellent bridge to link the striking art and the grappling art together. Your thought?

Punch.HeadButt
04-29-2013, 05:45 PM
I always felt this was yet another reason for the chambering in traditional martial arts. The pull back with one hand is as much part of the training as the punching forward with the other. Roughly simulates punching, it getting blocked, then quickly pulling the block and punching with the other hand.

YouKnowWho
04-29-2013, 06:00 PM
I always felt this was yet another reason for the chambering in traditional martial arts. The pull back with one hand is as much part of the training as the punching forward with the other. Roughly simulates punching, it getting blocked, then quickly pulling the block and punching with the other hand.
Agree! You can change your punching arm into a grabbing arm. You can also change your blocking arm into a grappling arm (采 Cai). I find this principle is quite unique in TCMA.

I believe the general TCMA term is called "采(Cai) - pick".

GoldenBrain
04-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Agree! You can change your punching arm into a grabbing arm. You can also change your blocking arm into a grappling arm (采 Cai). I find this principle is quite unique in TCMA.

I believe the general TCMA term is called "采(Cai) - pick".

I agree with your OP but I don't think it's completely unique to TCMA. I found it in Okinawan Karate, Kali Arnis as well as 5 Animal Sil-Lum. Also, I think chambering high rather than low to the hip is better suited for this. I've never been taught to chamber low but I see it all the time in videos and it just doesn't seem correct to me.

Yum Cha
04-30-2013, 12:14 AM
Yes, certainly. Sticky hands.

Monkey King
04-30-2013, 01:26 AM
Seems like a sound enough principle. I have a vague recollection of being taught something along those lines when I studied ju-jitsu many, many moons ago.

RenDaHai
04-30-2013, 04:30 AM
Yes, Its an excellent principle, often referred to also as 'Dai' shou, to add a hand.

You can also use this principle to claw at someones face after they have guarded or dodged, a claw sweeps out a large area where as a punch hit a point, so the claw is harder to evade.

Punch.HeadButt
04-30-2013, 09:23 AM
You can also change your blocking arm into a grappling arm (采 Cai).

I was once told not to "block" an incoming strike, but to "accept" it. I really like the term "accepting" in that context.

I think chambering high rather than low to the hip is better suited for this. I've never been taught to chamber low but I see it all the time in videos and it just doesn't seem correct to me.

I'd agree with that. Chambering at the hip "breaks" your arm at the wrist. Plus I don't think there's as much power in the pull if it travels the path to the hip instead of the ribs.

Golden Arms
04-30-2013, 09:29 AM
"The hand does not come back empty"

I agree, it works great for moving things into close range.

SPJ
04-30-2013, 10:25 AM
When you punch and your opponent blocks, your punch should change into a grab. This way you can pull your opponent's arm back.

Your thought?

In tong bei and ba ji, we may confine or grab the opponent's arm.

However, we do not pull it toward us.

Instead we move our body forward to be close to the opponent.

So we confine or guard the opponent's hand or arm where it was.

We close in with our body at the same time.

:cool:

MightyB
04-30-2013, 12:03 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about exotic vacations overseas with the title.

My answer then would be "that's why they invented penicillin."

-N-
04-30-2013, 12:22 PM
I was once told not to "block" an incoming strike, but to "accept" it. I really like the term "accepting" in that context.

In Mantis, we say cheong 搶.

Snatch/steal/rob the attack.

It is more aggressive and active than just accepting the attack.

-N-
04-30-2013, 12:24 PM

搶 before his block connects.

SPJ
04-30-2013, 12:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYgqZECK-Ro

In this clip,

it does not matter that we intercept the opponent at high or low,

you may notice that my fist, elbow, hip and body move close or forward.

Instead pulling toward our self, we confine or guard the opponent's hand or arm, we move our body close to him.

This is called advance body kao or jin shen kao.

etc etc.

:)

Punch.HeadButt
04-30-2013, 01:14 PM
In Mantis, we say cheong 搶.

Snatch/steal/rob the attack.

It is more aggressive and active than just accepting the attack.

I'd consider that preferable. IME, there's three ways to respond to a striking attack: attack it, avoid it, or "accept" it. The former is preferable in situating yourself as the controlling party, but sometimes you have to choose between the latter two options. Sometimes you don't read the intent in time to attack the attack. At least, sometimes I don't :o

GeneChing
04-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Out like a steel file, back like a book hook
churugangcuo huirugaogan
I have an extensive discussion of this concept in a Xingyi article I just authored, which will be in our next issue, the JUL+AUG 2013 (on newsstands June 6). It could be applied to this discussion, but it's actually something different in Xingyi, sort of the contrapositive application. You'll just have to wait a month and read it for yourself. ;)

I thought this thread was going to be about exotic vacations overseas with the title.

My answer then would be "that's why they invented penicillin." This from my sword hotties (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1227294) dueling poster. :rolleyes:

MightyB
04-30-2013, 01:58 PM
Old Chinese saying said, "收手的時候,手上要帶著東西回來,(When you pull your punch, you have to catch something on the way back)".

I find this principle is an excellent bridge to link the striking art and the grappling art together. Your thought?

It's pretty much the basis of the Mantis and Eagle Claw kung fu styles. I agree, it's a huge positive to incorporate this concept into your brain. That's why I like the blend of Mantis with any grappling art. They just "marry" well.

*Why does it hurt when I pee?

MightyB
04-30-2013, 01:59 PM
This from my sword hotties (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1227294) dueling poster. :rolleyes:

en garde. Many new pics for you to peruse there. :eek::)

YouKnowWho
04-30-2013, 02:30 PM
However, we do not pull it toward us.

Instead we move our body forward to be close to the opponent.

When you pull, you don't sink your body and try to pull your opponent into you. You jump into your opponent and let the counter force of your pulling to bring you forward.

In the "new octopus sytle" that I have just created, :D when I pull, I'll jump on my opponent's body with an arm wrap, a head lock, along with an upper leg sticky. I then lift my back leg and allow all my body weight to crash on top of my opponent.

http://imageshack.us/a/img444/5471/octopus.jpg