PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if.......

Shaolindynasty
11-12-2001, 04:43 AM
Say you studied a martial art for years and got good results in health and of course martial benifets. Then one day you find out that the "ancient" lineage wasn't real, to make matters worse you find out your sifu who you trusted lied to you and it's not even the style you thought it was but something he made up. Now keep in mind you have been progressing and your abbilities have improved but you were lied to, what would you think and do? :confused:

p.s. This didn't happen to me but talking with some people, I started to think about things like this.

www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

KungFuGuy!
11-12-2001, 05:19 AM
That sounds like the situation I'm in at temple kung fu. I'm continuing to train there, after all it is martial arts. Just because it isn't what they say it is, it doesn't make it bad. Plus, I dropped a ton of money there since I started a few months ago, and quiting now would be like throwing a bunch of money on the fireplace. I'm going to cross train at an inexpensive bjj place when I get can some money together.
If I didn't feel so bad about wasting money? I'd walk out right now and find somewhere new, regardless of how long I've been there.

joedoe
11-12-2001, 05:19 AM
If you are happy with what you have learned, then what is the difference?

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

rogue
11-12-2001, 05:23 AM
Hey I do TKD which supposedly has an ancient lineage, yeah right. My master though never lied about it and laughs at it too.

I agree with Abandit, but if it's bugging you to hell with the money and get out.

Signed,
Rogue, Soke and Senior Grandmaster of Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Combat Chi jitsu Kempo Karate Do and Choral Society. (We are not affiliated with Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Jujitsu Kempo Karate Concepts, or Wan King Fist Kung Fu)

There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum

honorisc
11-12-2001, 05:33 AM
I would likely be dumbfounded that the lineage I thought I was in I was not. But then note how something whatever this that I've been in was. And I would continue if I thought I could benefit. Or stop and look for something legitimate. I think it would be a mistake to stop what I was doing, yet I might to be Spiteful from my being disappointed in living in a lie (no matter my happiness). I would hope that I would continue what I had been doing even if I left the school. Hopefully, I would take on a new think and stay at or return to (tail tucked between my legs if necessary) the school. Hopefully I could understand that it is not the lineage that has what I would be looking for though it can. It would be that what is there has that for which I am looking, no matter how old or how they came about the awareness of what I like, enjoy, and benefits me~. Some-such

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

SevenStar
11-12-2001, 07:09 AM
if it is what you are looking for then stick with it. If I was training in tae bo, but thought it was shaolin, it really wouldn't matter as long as I was getting what I wanted out of the class. If you are looking to learn self defense and are learning it there, then stay. If you are looking for general fitness there, then stay. lineage means squat in those sitautions, so if you are happy there, don't leave because the lineage is not what it was played up to be.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Chang Style Novice
11-12-2001, 07:15 AM
I agree with SevenStar, although it would probably take a while for me to come to that conclusion in person, as I really hate being lied to.

straight blast
11-12-2001, 01:18 PM
If he lied to you about the style he's teaching & his credentials, then WTF else has he told/taught you that is BS? If I couldn't trust my instructor I'd leave. I have actually. My old Sifu couldn't control his wife. She attacked students, cast "spells" at them, accused all the Christians (actually, any non-taoist people) of being witches, etc. He totally refused to control her. The day the b**ch attacked my wife with a freakin' BROADSWORD I said to him to fix it. He wouldn't, so we left.
A pity, 'cos he was the best Martial Artist I have ever seen. But it you can't trust 'em, p*ss 'em off.

"Pain is merely weakness leaving the body"

straight blast
11-12-2001, 01:20 PM
Oh, as a P.S. to this, his wife & him broke up when one day she woke up, shaved her head and accused him of putting poison on her toothbrush. Good instruction, so not worth the drama!

"Pain is merely weakness leaving the body"

Wongsifu
11-12-2001, 04:30 PM
if the martial art is good for you and it is good , who cares about the lineage, if you care about tradition and the martial art is really quite empty its an obvious tae bo fu , then dump it. Theres more than engouh happy willing teachers out there to teach you.

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Chang Style Novice
11-12-2001, 04:34 PM
Straight Blast -

I think I know that chick! I don't think it's fair to blame your Sifu for his wife's general nuttiness, but I wouldn't have stuck around either. It's worth noting that since he had a consistent and unpredictable sparring partner, at least you knew what he was teaching really worked for self defense.

shaolinboxer
11-12-2001, 04:44 PM
That's a shame. Don't be dicouraged. My first kung fu instructor turned out to be a nut...it's hard to tell when you have little experience. Find a new instructor and kung fu onward!

Shaolindynasty
11-12-2001, 07:33 PM
This is supossed to be hypothetical. What would YOU do if you found out your system was a lie.

www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

Wongsifu
11-13-2001, 12:25 AM
straightblast if you put it that way i did find out my system was a lie 2 times :) once after 5 years and once the 2nd day of class.

In the first case i had spent 5 years in the class and it hit me one day that the way we were being taught wing chun was just like kickboxing , what did i do get the hell out of there. The techniques were sound, the sparring practise was hardcore so was the general fitness level, but wing chun it was not , it didnt have the fighting style.

The second time was in my hungar class, i went in they didnt do any forearm training , they practised lots of high kicks etc etc, they sparred no contact kickboxing, so i just basically said to the teaccher when he said what do you think ... I said

look im not being rude but this aint hung gar, he goes i know what you mean but nobody here wants to learn real hung gar its too strenuous , so i said i would love to come and learn in the corner if im not in the way if you could please show me just the forms and i will derive and practise applications on my own. The guy was great he respected this and let me train there for ages , once he saw i had potential he wanted me to start training his side horse stance kickboxing sparring , and some other techniques that were really bull , you know "point karate" or "american kikcboxing" style things that were in developement back then, so thats when i left. he did some crazy drills like standing in horse stance moving to front bow and arrow stance and punching backfist with the hand that has no torque or momentum at that time, thus jarring your whole body if done fast. OH and he had been practising for about 15 years and he was pathetic at sparring, however his teacher overlooked the class and he was a baddaass , his foundation was hung gar but beyond that he just had power and some shaolin northern style kikcs that could take your block off. I respected him a lot and i still do.

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo