PDA

View Full Version : Grand Master Ip Man and his 10 Disciples

lance
05-02-2013, 04:02 PM
1n 1956 , GM Ip Man choosed 10 of his students to be his disciples , the reason why he choosed this 10 students to become his disciples is because they were as good as eachother . They are Lok Yiu , Leung Sheung , Chu Shong Tin , Au Keong ,
Wong Shun Leung , Ho Kam Ming , Moy Yat , William Cheung ,Wong Kiu and Leung Ting . This information came from these 2 - friends I have and they in turn learned from Au Keung ( Stanley Au ) in Hawaii . Thomas and Henry Zane was given permission to teach wing chun kung fu under Sifu Au , until they themselves retired as times went by for them . However they had 2 - assistant sifus who eventually became Sifus under the zane brothers , they are Sifu Darryl Norderstrom and Sifu Mark Higuchi .

Lance

poulperadieux
05-02-2013, 06:10 PM
1n 1956 , GM Ip Man choosed 10 of his students to be his disciples , the reason why he choosed this 10 students to become his disciples is because they were as good as eachother . They are Lok Yiu , Leung Sheung , Chu Shong Tin , Au Keong ,
Wong Shun Leung , Ho Kam Ming , Moy Yat , William Cheung ,Wong Kiu and Leung Ting . This information came from these 2 - friends I have and they in turn learned from Au Keung ( Stanley Au ) in Hawaii . Thomas and Henry Zane was given permission to teach wing chun kung fu under Sifu Au , until they themselves retired as times went by for them . However they had 2 - assistant sifus who eventually became Sifus under the zane brothers , they are Sifu Darryl Norderstrom and Sifu Mark Higuchi .

Lance

You got from Au Keong that he's the fourth Hokage of ip man?
Not Wong Shun Leung?

Ben Voyons.

4 closed door students, not 10.

PalmStriker
05-02-2013, 07:07 PM
There must be a signed declaration for such an event, please post. Thanks! :):D:)

PalmStriker
05-02-2013, 07:09 PM
There was only one closed door disciple and that was Ng Chan. :) There can be only one.

EternalSpring
05-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Did Ip Man know pre-1850's WCK?

if not, then none of this matters anyways.

anerlich
05-02-2013, 10:51 PM
youtube video or it never happened.

dfl
05-02-2013, 11:16 PM

Lance

Excellent!
According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leung_Ting), Leung Ting was born 2/28/1947, so he was all of 9 years old when he was the "equal" of William Cheung, WSL, etc. No wonder he is the Master of Almightiness.

Runlikehell
05-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Excellent!
According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leung_Ting), Leung Ting was born 2/28/1947, so he was all of 9 years old when he was the "equal" of William Cheung, WSL, etc. No wonder he is the Master of Almightiness.

Grandmaster*

wingchunIan
05-03-2013, 01:39 AM
Excellent!

Lol. Wonder if the OP will maybe go back and check his facts. I hadn't looked up the dates but that one jumped off the page to me straight away also the strange fact that the details of these events always seem to leak out from some obscure individual who heard from a friend, rather than being mentioned at all by any of the individuals who were actually there at the time at any point during their lifetimes, or by any of their direct students:rolleyes:

poulperadieux
05-03-2013, 02:37 AM
Love you guys, had a crappy morning, and you just laugh my day out, thank you infinitely.:D

Paddington
05-03-2013, 06:21 AM
This thread makes me feel sorry for these forums. Poor forums. Poor, poor forums.

Sihing73
05-03-2013, 07:11 AM
This thread makes me feel sorry for these forums. Poor forums. Poor, poor forums.

Yes but there are some that help keep the forums going.

Such as this thread here: http://kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41007

Now we need to find some Wing Chun Hotties too ;)

lance
05-06-2013, 11:38 PM
You got from Au Keong that he's the fourth Hokage of ip man?
Not Wong Shun Leung?

Ben Voyons.

poulperadieux , so who is the 4 closed door students ?

Vajramusti
05-07-2013, 06:29 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How would he know?

Maybe some junk yard doors should have remained closed .

poulperadieux
05-07-2013, 07:30 AM

Depends Who tells the story !:D

Vajramusti
05-07-2013, 10:33 AM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ip Man is not telling much these days.

wtxs
05-07-2013, 10:40 AM
You got from Au Keong that he's the fourth Hokage of ip man? Not Wong Shun Leung?

Ben Voyons.

You've came up with "4 closed door students" ... would like to hear you tell the story. ;)

Vernon
05-07-2013, 11:43 AM

Lance

Dude, there has already been at least one inaccuracy pointed out with Leung Ting only being nine years old. Here's another:

Moy Yat didn't even start training under Yip Man until 1957, so how was he a "disciple" in 1956?

I don't even get the purpose of the original post. This is the type of stuff that almost makes me embarrassed to tell people that I study Kung Fu. I study JKD, and one of my favorite aspects of my training is Wing Chun, but all the political, lineage, my system is better than yours, etc. is a tad bit disconcerting.

Happy Tiger
05-07-2013, 01:00 PM
One of the facinating theories that tends to push this kind o legend is the way these dynamic indeviduals seem to each posess certain 'gems' of the larger art. Each potent alone but combined in the personage of Ip Man the total scope of Hong Kong VT. All came from the same sorce.Rarely in VT line since have so many radical perseptions come from one lineage.

PalmStriker
05-07-2013, 08:01 PM
All I know is the last one had the door close on his foot and ankle swelled up. Pain lasted all night and next day.

EternalSpring
05-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Spoke to Ip Man in a dream last night. He told me the OP is wrong.

/thread

poulperadieux
05-09-2013, 07:00 PM
All I know is the last one had the door close on his foot and ankle swelled up. Pain lasted all night and next day.

:eek: :D :D :D

lance
05-11-2013, 09:22 PM
There must be a signed declaration for such an event, please post. Thanks! :):D:)

PalmStriker , Sorry to disappoint you , but there ' s no signed declaration on this event , but I talked to Sifu Thomas Zane on this event he said that these 10 disciples know who they are , but that does ' mt mean it really did ' nt happen .
Infact Sifu Stanley Au and Sifu Robert Yeung was there too . Au Sifu is Sifu Thomas' teacher and Sifu Yeung is a disciple of Sifu Wong Long Ching and the cousin of Sifu Wong Shun Leung .

Maybe GM Ip Man saw that 10 of his students was already gifted as he taught them WC and the rest of those students was ' nt so gifted at all . So in a private moment told these 10 people as a group that they were each numbered as his 10 disciples and not to reveal to anyone about this private moment , otherwise trouble could result like for those students who did ' nt become one of his 10 disciples , they would get offended , jealous or mad . Or GM Ip Man could ' ve had a private moment with these 10 people individually , and told them the samething not to reveal to anyone about this private moment . Because how would you feel if GM Ip Man choosed 1 of your family member or your closest friends as 1 of his 10 disciples and did ' nt pick you , would ' nt you get mad , offended or jealous .
I would .

So as GM Ip Man himself began teaching and training his 10 disciples Wing Chun and as times went by began to give them permission to teach wing chun , probably Ip Man had asked his 10 disciples to go and start teaching and training the students who did ' nt become his 10 disciples . So it was his 10 disciples guiding the not so gifted students into wing chun and really training them in a way that they themselves became good , and then gave them permission to teach wing chun to the next generation of people who really wanted to learn the art .

2 - of his 10 disciples Sifu Wong Shun Leung , William Cheung , and 1 - student the late Bruce Lee went out to challenged matches in HK , to see how good wing chun was against other styles of kung fu . In some fights Sifu Wong won and in some fights he lost , and analyzed how he lost it turns out that the WC techniques which sifu wong learned from Ip Man did ' nt work , so sifu wong modified the Wc techniques he learned from Ip Man in a way that really worked for him , so that ' s probably how he became known as the talking hands . Sifu Cheung inturn did the samething too he still kept Sil Lum Tao the same way , but he took out the twisting of the body from the chum kiu set , and still kept his bil jee the way it was traditionally taught and practiced by Ip Man ' s students .
And the late Bruce Lee himself although only learning the 1st set of wing chun and learning the essence of wing chun from Sifu Wong and Sifu Cheung himself , and because he learned traditional kung fu in a chop suey way , his kung fu training was chop suey , instead of learning the complete system of the kung fu systems , he only learned 1 set of one system of the northern praying mantis system . This was probably before he began learning WC from Ip Man . And Bruce also learned different types of kung fu in general . Then when comming to the US
He began teaching his own version of kung fu , which you people already know about already . Which led into his personal art known as JKD .

That ' s how wing chun spreaded around the world , Sifu wong and the late bruce lee had the same mentality as eachother , they both choosed techniques which worked for them . Sifu wong was wing chun and had 2 - disciples Sifu Gary Lam and David Peterson . And using what works for you , became bruce quotes and philosophy for his JKD .

Today in the year 2013 Wing chun is still evolving with sifus who continue to teach wing chun throughout the world . The 10 disciples and the students who
did ' nt become Ip Mans' 10 disciples eventually had their own lineage of wing chun , 2 - disciples of Ip Man had their own versions of WC like Sifu Wong and Sifu Cheung .

Now you people who read my topic post to this thread may either agree with me or disagree with me . But I stand by my topic post , 2 sifus was there talking to my friend Sifu thomas zane . So it really does ' nt matter if you believe me or not .
But this story is true because I don ' t tell fictional stories like some people on this thread do . Another thing it was Sifu Yeung told my friend that when bruce wqas in HK filiming enter the dragon , bruce went to see Sifu wong and gave bruce a 8 mm film on Wing Chun and everything bruce need to know about WC himself .
There is even diifferent branches of wing chun too , some students of Ip Man who became sifus under their own sifu , because it was Ip Man who taught them this very unique martial art , they decided to call it Ip Man lineage of wing chun , to pay respect and tribute to their late GM who died a long time ago .

PalmStriker
05-11-2013, 10:49 PM
It is my belief that TCMA Wing Chun may be devolving, Lance. I'm not so much into the who's who of the 3 major lineages of Foshan as I am the consensus of the actual practices handed down and preserved by all the Wing Chun lineages. :) Exclusiveness belonged to those who stepped off the Red Boats many years ago with a unique kungfu style. :)

trubblman
05-12-2013, 01:58 PM
1n 1956 , gm ip man choosed 10 of his students to be his disciples , the reason why he choosed this 10 students to become his disciples is because they were as good as eachother . They are lok yiu , leung sheung , chu shong tin , au keong ,
wong shun leung , ho kam ming , moy yat , william cheung ,wong kiu and leung ting . This information came from these 2 - friends i have and they in turn learned from au keung ( stanley au ) in hawaii .

Lance

Only one answer to this...