PDA

View Full Version : I like this guy

MightyB
05-03-2013, 10:42 AM
but I feel bad for the skinny guy in purple
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlvzh6_practical-combat-skills-of-hunyuan-sanshou-quan_sport#.UYP02kruwkI

lkfmdc
05-04-2013, 06:42 AM
a couple of threads on here lately make me feel like doing a master thread of larger picture, but I have to teach and there is a big seminar in school today... it will have to wait

Like I just said in the "internal combat" thread

My point has never been to say there is nothing of value in TCMA or that they didn't fight. Clearly they did. Clearly some of the older generations were quite good IN THEIR CONTEXT..... but there is just too much nonsense associated with TCMA,,, and the nonsense continues to grow the ****her we get from the original source and as time passes

In this case, guy clearly learned the real applications of his form... next question, can he execute this when it is "live"? Does he advocate live drilling or just the form and application?

JamesC
05-06-2013, 09:38 AM
a couple of threads on here lately make me feel like doing a master thread of larger picture, but I have to teach and there is a big seminar in school today... it will have to wait

Like I just said in the "internal combat" thread

My point has never been to say there is nothing of value in TCMA or that they didn't fight. Clearly they did. Clearly some of the older generations were quite good IN THEIR CONTEXT..... but there is just too much nonsense associated with TCMA,,, and the nonsense continues to grow the ****her we get from the original source and as time passes

In this case, guy clearly learned the real applications of his form... next question, can he execute this when it is "live"? Does he advocate live drilling or just the form and application?

I hope so. I like his applications and he seems to have really grasped the point of the footwork. That's one of the biggest flaws I see in most TCMA practitioners. He's not just cross stepping to look cool. He's bridging the gap and setting up a sweep at the same time.

Just like every punch a boxer throws should be a setup for the next strike, this guy seems to be thinking along those lines. Pretty cool(and rare) to see this in MY TCMA experience.

MightyB
05-06-2013, 09:44 AM
I hope so. I like his applications and he seems to have really grasped the point of the footwork. That's one of the biggest flaws I see in most TCMA practitioners. He's not just cross stepping to look cool. He's bridging the gap and setting up a sweep at the same time.

Just like every punch a boxer throws should be a setup for the next strike, this guy seems to be thinking along those lines. Pretty cool(and rare) to see this in MY TCMA experience.

not to mention that he's like 74 years old in this vid.

IronFist
05-06-2013, 10:12 AM
I skipped to a random part in that vid and watched one of the techniques. Looks like some really effective stuff if your opponent leaves his arm extended after a punch.

lkfmdc
05-06-2013, 10:32 AM
not to mention that he's like 74 years old in this vid.

His age probably has a lot to do with the fact he has some real stuff

JamesC
05-06-2013, 11:48 AM
I skipped to a random part in that vid and watched one of the techniques. Looks like some really effective stuff if your opponent leaves his arm extended after a punch.

You should probably watch more of the clip then...

The majority of his techniques involve him showing it piece by piece as part of a larger combination. In the same way you would teach it in thai boxing. One of the techniques involves a slip and then three overhand strikes ending with a push off for distance.