PDA

View Full Version : Wah Lum's connection to Mok Ga Kuen

ngokfei
05-11-2013, 08:35 AM
From a recent article I read it seems that the prevalent style being taught in the Sha Cheng Village where todays "Wah Lum" system emerged from was initially a strong base for the spreading of the Mok Ga style.

Not being a Wah Lum exponet, just doing some side research that interlaced I see that some of the Wah Lum sets have a strong connection to Southern Fist styles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMoktxgmMQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=SIq-uJ1HRgk&feature=fvwp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB57gVbiWi0

http://old.dongguantoday.com/localsc.asp?id=157

18elders
05-11-2013, 11:12 AM
wah lum has many southern influences. Master Chan was good friends with Lee Koon Hung(choy lay fut) and probably learned kung fu from him as well as Wei hong. Wah lum weapons are more southern influenced as well.
The core forms wah lum 1-6 are not from Lee Kwan Shan, they are from Master Chan, thus the different influences of southern, northern and some mantis.

Dale Dugas
05-11-2013, 12:43 PM
So if Chan created the forms he is teaching, what did he learn from his teacher and why not teach that material?

Sounds a little hinky.

18elders
05-11-2013, 02:40 PM
he only trained with Lee Kwan Shan for about 4 years from i believe ages of 6 to 10 years old. after that he trained with his kung fu brothers but who knows how much those people knew of what Lee Kwan Shan was teaching and what they actually taught Chan Poi. Was it wah lum or Mok Gar or something else, who knows? Lee Kwan Shan had merged tan tui with the mantis he learned at the wah lum temple.
Not sure how many people actually learned Lee Kwan Shan's new complete system. If i remember correctly, Lee Kwan Shan taught 12 forms, some being mantis(beng bu and Lan Jie). Wah lum's big mantis would be their beng bu form but i have never seen anyone do Lan jie from wah lum that wasn't taught to them by Jiang Bing Do(plum flower mantis)

1.bung bo -beng bu AKA big mantis
2.lan jeet -lan jie
3.baht zhao -ba zhou
4.tam toy -tan tuei
5.lin wahn jurng -lien huan zhang? (continuous palms)
6.teet bay sow -tieh men suan- iron door bolt AKA little mantis
7.dai fan che -da fan che
8.yat lo lin wahn tam toy -yi lu lien huan tan tuei- first route continuous tan tuei
9.yee lo""""""""""""""""""""""second route""""""""""""""""""
10.saam lo""""""""""""""""""""""third route""""""""""""""""""""
11.yau ling kuen
12.yin ji chuen lum

ngokfei
05-11-2013, 08:23 PM
18 elders that list is actually what Chan Wan Ching taught at his HK School.

I happened to befriend an individual in HK (actually by accident I was researching a particular kind of calligraphy and you never know) who's father was a student of Chan Wan Ching back in the day. He's the one who forwarded me the article that lists the actual hand sets that LKS taught not only in Sha Cheng but also in 2 other locations in China as well.

Big windmill (Dai Fan Chie)
praying mantis fist (Tang Lang Kuen)
crushing fist (Bong Bo)
Six Corner power/strength Potential (luk gok sai )
9 Point Horse – (gau dim ma
Cross Pattern Fist - (Sup Ji Kuen)

Chan Wan Ching and classmates added additional sets that they already knew before training with LKS as well as after he had died.

18elders
05-13-2013, 09:33 AM
I went to the wah lum Hong Kong headquarters and met chan wan ching's wife. They didn't really have any students but it was more of room with pictures and an altar.
I guess nobody would know what forms they added and what style. I am sure they were not mantis, thus the more southern influence in most of the forms.

lance
05-18-2013, 10:46 PM
he only trained with Lee Kwan Shan for about 4 years from i believe ages of 6 to 10 years old. after that he trained with his kung fu brothers but who knows how much those people knew of what Lee Kwan Shan was teaching and what they actually taught Chan Poi. Was it wah lum or Mok Gar or something else, who knows? Lee Kwan Shan had merged tan tui with the mantis he learned at the wah lum temple.
Not sure how many people actually learned Lee Kwan Shan's new complete system. If i remember correctly, Lee Kwan Shan taught 12 forms, some being mantis(beng bu and Lan Jie). Wah lum's big mantis would be their beng bu form but i have never seen anyone do Lan jie from wah lum that wasn't taught to them by Jiang Bing Do(plum flower mantis)

1.bung bo -beng bu AKA big mantis
2.lan jeet -lan jie
3.baht zhao -ba zhou
4.tam toy -tan tuei
5.lin wahn jurng -lien huan zhang? (continuous palms)
6.teet bay sow -tieh men suan- iron door bolt AKA little mantis
7.dai fan che -da fan che
8.yat lo lin wahn tam toy -yi lu lien huan tan tuei- first route continuous tan tuei
9.yee lo""""""""""""""""""""""second route""""""""""""""""""
10.saam lo""""""""""""""""""""""third route""""""""""""""""""""
11.yau ling kuen
12.yin ji chuen lum

18elders , so actually you ' re saying that there ' s some mok ga kuen involved with the northern praying mantis system ? Because I know that Master Chan Poi learned northern style praying mantis from Lee Kwan Sheng , but I did ' nt know that there was some mok ga kuen moves involved with the northern style praying mantis system , until I saw your topic post .

I heard about Mok Ga Kuen is one of the 5 familes styles of southern styles of kung fu right ? Well , it ' s intresting to know this information from you . I ' ve seen Chan pois'
northern style praying mantis sets well one of them , it was on the video of the living legends of kung fu video . The set being performed on the video by Sifu Chan Poi looked really hard to me . But It looked good though , all I know is that Simu Mimi Chan is now active in continuing the legacy of her father Sifu Chan Poi , Sifu Poi I have ' nt heard much about him , how old he is now ? But that Sifi Poi is very flexible with his body so as his daughter mimi , if I ' m not mistaken Sifu Chan ' s wife also teaches Tai Chi too , because she herself had a medical condition ? Well , that ' s what I read and heard the last time .

Lance

wiz cool c
05-19-2013, 08:10 AM
So if Chan created the forms he is teaching, what did he learn from his teacher and why not teach that material?

Sounds a little hinky.

don't you do a style of bagua zhang that doesn't come from Dong Hai Chuan

mickey
05-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Greetings,

Re Chan Pui and Mok Gar

In a UM based Magazine (name escapes me), GM Chan stated that when he started to learn Wah Lum, he already knew the Mok Gar style.

mickey