PDA

View Full Version : Snake Oil Salesman selling his wares.

hskwarrior
05-21-2013, 07:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwEHo8kNgf4

Dale Dugas
05-21-2013, 07:54 AM
god he loves to hear himself talk.

hskwarrior
05-21-2013, 08:07 AM
yeah he does. haha. everything about him is so fake.

GeneChing
05-21-2013, 08:32 AM
...I'm into apple cider vinegar and Braggs is a good brand for it.

However, if he was a real man, he'd shoot it straight.

Dale Dugas
05-21-2013, 09:48 AM
and wear a kilt.

GeneChing
05-21-2013, 10:54 AM
and wear a kilt.
Dude. NO!

:p

LaterthanNever
05-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Remember folks..

There is NOTHING unreasonable about asking $45.00 for a two(2) ounce bottle of pre-made jow! :rolleyes::o

Btw..he says "Kung fu supremasis"? What is "supremasis"?

And "magic" formula? I can buy probiotics off the shelf!

Whats even funnier is..when he takes a sip he gets this look on his face which is like "yeeaccchhhh..I cant believe I took a sip of this sh-t"..LOL

David Jamieson
05-22-2013, 07:32 AM
wow... That is a serious delusional individual there.

Just...wow.

rett
05-22-2013, 07:52 AM
I get the feeling it's some kind of spoof. He has this knowing grin, as if he's having a laugh with the viewer. Some kind over-the-top parody.

MightyB
05-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Apple Cider Vinegar. (http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar)

pazman
05-22-2013, 12:39 PM
I get the feeling it's some kind of spoof. He has this knowing grin, as if he's having a laugh with the viewer. Some kind over-the-top parody.

A troll trolling the trolls, in some sort of recursive meta-troll operation.

LaterthanNever
05-22-2013, 01:45 PM
What about his kung fu though?

David Jamieson
05-23-2013, 05:37 AM
What about his kung fu though?

He's sweetening Apple cider vinegar so he can drink it.

Talk about lacking in Fortitude.

I bet he couldn't handle a good whiskey or a strong black beer.

LaterthanNever
05-24-2013, 04:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3TQHp0AFVE

His footwork is ok..but his Hsing Yi seems a little stiff...

Thoughts?

Dragonzbane76
05-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Btw..he says "Kung fu supremasis"? What is "supremasis"?

Nazi? only thing that comes to mind when said.

SoCo KungFu
05-27-2013, 11:13 AM
The irony in this thread is thick

David Jamieson
05-27-2013, 12:04 PM
The irony in this thread is thick

Why?

Do you think KFM is full of Monkey Beaking Jake Maces? :p

SoCo KungFu
05-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Why?

Do you think KFM is full of Monkey Beaking Jake Maces? :p

Should I really answer that? :D

Proponents of a scientifically unverified alternative medical practice, criticizing a scientifically unverified alternative dietary practice?

I'm not sure its fair to call him a snake oil salesman since he personally doesn't appear to be actually selling anything. He seems to be just another one of these voodoo diet fad fanatics to me. From looking at a couple of his vids, it seems a bunch here are upset that he's a shaolin-do'er and passing stuff off as "traditional." Which begs the question, how is SD any different as far as traditional goes? But there's a whole thread on that I suppose I could read, if I really cared.

I will say this, he is in pretty good shape, probably better than most here on KFM. That said, he is wrong on a number of things. Particularly is this pH diet bull****. Its a healthy diet because you're doing what people have been telling forever now, cutting out to excess fat, sugars, processed foods, etc. It has nothing to do with pH. And it certainly doesn't cure cancer. In fact, the idiot that came up with this diet is a convicted felon, who had someone die taking his advice. Its amazing so few people fact check the crap they follow.

Edit Disclaimer: I should say that, as much as I like to call out BS, I don't think "all" TCM stuff is bogus. There's a number of things that I have a tentative belief that could potentially be medically helpful. But there's a difference between belief and scientifically verified.

Kymus
05-28-2013, 06:45 AM
Proponents of a scientifically unverified alternative medical practice, criticizing a scientifically unverified alternative dietary practice?

Is this in regards to TCM or internal kung fu?

Its amazing so few people fact check the crap they follow.

The pendulum sways on both sides: east/west, holistic/conventional.

I see this a lot in my practice. The extremities are:

One side puts blind faith in anything conventional because it must have gone through rigerous scientific testing or it wouldn't be true. The problem with this is that there are a lot of theories that are considered to be absolute within the conventional paradigm that have no real scientific evidence to support them (like the "saturated fat = heart disease", or the "statins protect you from heart disease" bullsh!t). If you don't support these notions, then you must be a quacky quack quack that hates science.

The other side rejects all things conventional; either because it's new or because of worries about dirty money (which is a valid concern, but....(*see below)). This side feels that the older it is, the more proven it is, and - I guess - that as long as it gives you nice, happy feelings inside or someone can say lots of complex sounding things, it must be good. There is little to no science on this side. As you said, there is support for all kinds of odd things (having a background in nutrition, I see this a ton with diet-related claims) but most of them don't hold water.

In The Web that Has No Weaver, Ted Keptchuk writes:

..many Westerners have strange notions about Chinese Medicine. Some of them see it as hocus-pocus - the product of primitive or magical thinking. If a patient is cured by herbs or acupuncture, they see only two possible explainations: either the cure was a placebo effect, or it was an accident, the happy result of hit-or-miss pin sticking that the practitioner did not understand. They assume that current Western science and medicine have a unique handle on truth - all else is superstition

Other Westerners have a more favorable view of Chinese medicine. Deeply and often justifiably disturbed by many of the products of Western science and culture, they assume that the Chinese system, because it is felt to be more ancient, more spiritual, or more holistic, is also more "true" than Western medicine.

His follow-up really nails it:

Both attitudes mystify the subject - one by uncritically undervaluing it, the other by setting it on a pedestal. Both are barriers to understanding.

Of course, this could probably just be summarized with Henri Poincare's quote:

To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.

You can't believe everything you hear on one side or the other. The only real solution for the lay person, is to get a basic understanding of how science works and the scientific method. Then, at least one can acid test a theory instead of blindly diving right in. This would eliminate a lot of bullsh!t on both sides...

(*I got in to a debate once with some wing nut about vegan diets or some nonsense having to do with bullsh!t diet claims. I tried giving her a few studies to read.. Her response was that you can't trust anything in sceince journals because they're industry funded :eek::D:rolleyes:.. Nevermind actually analysing the data itself. It was automatically wrong because it was in a journal.. I must ponder on how she thinks things are proven or disproven...)

Kymus
05-28-2013, 06:55 AM
For a number of years now I've used unfiltered apple cider vinegar to treat soreness in my legs. I've got low arches, so standing all day is not good for me... even with corrective orthodics. Long story short, I tried something out of desperation - I really didn't think it would work - and it actually worked quite well.

1tsp of ACV + 4oz of water (more or less probably doesn't make a difference. Not sure. I'm not a biochemist :D)

Tastes nasty, but it works well, and there's less GI upset as compared to NSAID's. Though, if you use it everyday, it will lose effect, just like NSAID's will.

There may be something beneficial to his sooper amazing traditional Shao-lin monk drink but........... I dunno if I'd want to drink it every day (or many times a day).. :rolleyes:

Empty_Cup
05-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Should I really answer that? :D

I'm not sure its fair to call him a snake oil salesman since he personally doesn't appear to be actually selling anything. He seems to be just another one of these voodoo diet fad fanatics to me. From looking at a couple of his vids, it seems a bunch here are upset that he's a shaolin-do'er and passing stuff off as "traditional." Which begs the question, how is SD any different as far as traditional goes? But there's a whole thread on that I suppose I could read, if I really cared.

I will say this, he is in pretty good shape, probably better than most here on KFM. That said, he is wrong on a number of things. Particularly is this pH diet bull****. Its a healthy diet because you're doing what people have been telling forever now, cutting out to excess fat, sugars, processed foods, etc. It has nothing to do with pH. And it certainly doesn't cure cancer. In fact, the idiot that came up with this diet is a convicted felon, who had someone die taking his advice. Its amazing so few people fact check the crap they follow.

Edit Disclaimer: I should say that, as much as I like to call out BS, I don't think "all" TCM stuff is bogus. There's a number of things that I have a tentative belief that could potentially be medically helpful. But there's a difference between belief and scientifically verified.

Good post. As much as his ego/attitude and technique disgust, it's fair to say his physical conditioning is better than most.

herb ox
06-02-2013, 09:52 AM
He's sweetening Apple cider vinegar so he can drink it.

Talk about lacking in Fortitude.

I bet he couldn't handle a good whiskey or a strong black beer.

It's always easy to poke fun at people and practices not fully understood.

Apple cider vinegar has been a folk remedy for a very long time. This brand has certain benefits because of the bacterial colonies still alive in the vinegar.

Sour taste benefits the liver in small amounts. What some believe is an effort to "Man Up" and shoot the vinegar straight, is actually a fine way to throw your digestion off balance and damage the mucous membranes of the mouth, esophagus and stomach.

The sweet taste balances out the sour and subsequently balances the effect of the beverage.

NO it's not going to make you a "kung fu master" simply by drinking it (duh!). But, the sourness of the vinegar will benefit the tendons by making them softer and more supple, and will help to preserve the precious Yin fluids of the Liver and Kidney, which I am sure most of you have already exhausted with hard liquor and frequent ejaculation :D

Now, the Kilt is an entirely other story... seems it would be a fine training accessory for Master Tu's 99 power practice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4-Ma73V60I)!

Peace

Herb Ox

Kymus
06-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Herb Ox, will ACV (in a dose of 1 - 2 tsp in ~4 - 6oz filtered water) affect the GI at all after daily usage?

I've used this remedy for years to help with achey joints from standing at a retail job and I felt like the power was diminishing (kinda like how an NSAID would if you took it every day for a week).

MightyB
06-03-2013, 05:47 AM
and will help to preserve the precious Yin fluids of the Liver and Kidney, which I am sure most of you have already exhausted with hard liquor and frequent ejaculation :D

I'm thinking a variation of this should be my new sig.

Kymus
06-03-2013, 07:50 AM
lmao, I didn't catch that the first time! :D:D:D

herb ox
06-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Herb Ox, will ACV (in a dose of 1 - 2 tsp in ~4 - 6oz filtered water) affect the GI at all after daily usage?

I've used this remedy for years to help with achey joints from standing at a retail job and I felt like the power was diminishing (kinda like how an NSAID would if you took it every day for a week).

...interesting. Well, if you have been taking it for years, and the aching has returned, perhaps it is for a different reason, like old age :p

Seriously though, ACV really shines with controlling inflammation - now the inflammation might be under control but something else might be emerging or it could be related to something entirely different like your shoes.

I know a guy who takes ACV daily but then consumes large amounts of beer several times a week, and indulges in foods that are known to promote inflammation. Then he complains to me how his gall bladder is acting up again :rolleyes:

Kymus
06-04-2013, 08:46 AM
You're right, it could be age related. I mean, I've been using this remedy for almost 10 yeras :eek:

herb ox
06-05-2013, 08:46 AM
Yup. Speaking of age related...

I find I have to warm up for a lot longer these days... especially my knees and waist.

That being said, the "silk reeling" exercises from the Northern Shaolin warmup sequence (i.e. circling the knees) work really well for my creaky knees. After a week of daily practice, my knees finally stopped acting funny.

Peace

herb ox

Kymus
06-05-2013, 11:38 AM
I'll have to check that out, thanks for mentioniong it Herb Ox!

I'm not getting any younger, after all.... Maybe I need to start backpacking through Wudang Mountain and find that elixer of immortality :eek:

mawali
07-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Snake oil bulletproof salesman " This is the best in the world so why is no one buying this great product"?
Allegedly stupid person. "Mr sir, I will take my .45 and fire at your best bulletproof vest and if it works, I will buy it"
snake oil salesman, "But that is not the way it is supposed to work"..............:D

GeneChing
07-08-2013, 11:07 AM
What some believe is an effort to "Man Up" and shoot the vinegar straight, is actually a fine way to throw your digestion off balance and damage the mucous membranes of the mouth, esophagus and stomach.
I actually like the taste of vinegar. We moved recently, and were somewhat alarmed to find over a dozen bottles of different kinds of vinegar in our cupboard. What's that the English say? All **** and vinegar? ;)

I'm not getting any younger, after all.... Yea, who of us is? Just the vinegar drinkers. The ones who shoot it straight... and avoid kilts.

David Jamieson
07-11-2013, 09:47 AM
I actually like the taste of vinegar. We moved recently, and were somewhat alarmed to find over a dozen bottles of different kinds of vinegar in our cupboard. What's that the English say? All **** and vinegar? ;)

Yea, who of us is? Just the vinegar drinkers. The ones who shoot it straight... and avoid kilts.

You know, at least in Scottish Culture we don't have the men wearing full length evening gowns. :p

Unlike you court robe wearing cakes of fruit.

I'm with you on the vinegar though. Apple cider vinegar in particular.
Stomach lining? Not unless you are already super sensitive, but in all honesty, Ibuprofen will remove the safety of your guts mucus layer faster than vinegar will. Vinegar has a way of changing PH Balance in the gut and causes a kind of a gut flora reset.

Kymus
07-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Vinegar has a way of changing PH Balance in the gut and causes a kind of a gut flora reset.

Gut dysbiosis is something that really interests me. If you can provide me with more information on this, I'd appreciate it.

GeneChing
07-12-2013, 09:08 AM
You know, at least in Scottish Culture we don't have the men wearing full length evening gowns. :p
Point well taken.

I don't do shots of vinegar anymore, but I add the equivalent amount to my salad. I figure salad acts as a buffer. Although, that's not why I gave up shots. I just reserve my shots for other liquids. ;)

mawali
07-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Here is an article about legally sanctioned deceit but no one can do anything!

http://www.rmmagazine.com/2013/05/28/dining-on-deception-the-rising-risk-of-food-fraud/

bawang
07-24-2013, 08:15 AM
I inject sulphuric acid directly into my veins

Jimbo
07-25-2013, 04:33 PM
...I'm into apple cider vinegar and Braggs is a good brand for it.

However, if he was a real man, he'd shoot it straight.

I've been taking Bragg's ACV for about a year, using 2 tsps in 8 oz. of water. I only take it once a day, but it seems to have seriously lessened, or nearly eliminated, my seasonal allergies.

I still don't care for the taste, but I won't try to sweeten it.

MarathonTmatt
07-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I swig the Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar stuff everyday (straight up). Sometimes I also make this concoction in Mason Jars-
Chop up Garlic, Cayenne Pepper Chili Powder, Chop Up Ginger Root, Chop up Horseradish Root, pour Apple Cider Vinegar (w/ the "mother") into the jars and let it ferment for a couple of months. Then swig from the jars and enjoy the tonic.
I also recommend eating Thai food everyday, make sure there are fresh herbs like Basil and that the spice level is off the charts. Then go into your favorite Chicken wing place and eat all the thermo-nuclear hot wings you can. You will be a master by then.

Raipizo
07-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Ordered some braggs today gonna try some when I get it. Marathon those herbs are all good for you just gotta be hard to drink that all :D I take a garlic pill along with my other vitamins, good for preventing colds etc.

MarathonTmatt
07-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Ordered some braggs today gonna try some when I get it. Marathon those herbs are all good for you just gotta be hard to drink that all :D I take a garlic pill along with my other vitamins, good for preventing colds etc.

Hey, thanks! One person who really supported the whole Braggs line was the late body-builder and health advocate Jack Lalanne.

LaterthanNever
07-27-2013, 11:51 AM
"I inject sulphuric acid directly into my veins"

Whatever tickles yer pickle! :eek:

Raipizo
07-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Hey, thanks! One person who really supported the whole Braggs line was the late body-builder and health advocate Jack Lalanne.

I heard of his juicer but not much else about him. Yeah they have some good stuff, still hasn't come in the mail yet :(