PDA

View Full Version : Lee Koon-Hung

wu_de36
11-12-2001, 05:38 PM
You can see him performing a staff form in "The Whirling Staff of Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu"

I recently picked up this book, and immediately noticed that Master Lee is cross-eyed. Just out of curiousity, is Master Lee blind?

Just a curious question... Can any CLF folks give me the scoop?

NorthernMantis
11-12-2001, 05:50 PM
No he's not.He was my friends sifu until he died :( Ask int the southern forum to get info.

"Always be ready"

"right, that's it!you've insulted me, and you've insulted the shaolin temple!"-Fish of Furry

KC Elbows
11-12-2001, 07:48 PM
Does he have a book on CLF fan out? My friend wanted a book on fan, and I found a book, pretty cool form, and the guy did have crossed eyes.

wu_de36
11-12-2001, 08:11 PM
Same guy. I think he had a spear book as well.

Fu-Pow
11-12-2001, 08:45 PM
Although I never got to meet him, I know he was not blind. I think he just had a lazy eye. I have a slight one also but it doesn't interfere with my vision. Perhaps he sustained some injury to his eye early in kung fu training. The guys to ask would be CLFNole or Sow Choy in the southern forum.

Incidentally, I know the form from the book you just bought. It's real name is Loong Hung Guan. It means "Whirling Dragon Staff." Cool form.

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/Choy%20Lay%20Fut%20red.gif

CLFNole
11-12-2001, 08:56 PM
My late Sifu, Lee Koon Hung had trouble with one eye. I think the term "lazy eye" is correct. He had no trouble vision wise with the eye, it just floated a bit from time to time. The condition was from birth and had nothing to do with an injury during any training.

Peace.

wu_de36
11-12-2001, 09:24 PM
cool.. thanks for the info..
wouldn't it be loong xing hung guan though?

It certainly doesn't take away from his form, I just thought it was curious, especially in this day of perfect models :)

CLFNole
11-12-2001, 10:58 PM
It actually translates to Walking Dragon Staff not Whirling Dragon Staff. The name was likely used because it sounds a bit better in english.

Peace.

Fu-Pow
11-13-2001, 12:06 AM
Hmmm...I thought it was the character Hung that meant "circulating." So literally it could be translated "Circulating Dragon Staff" or "Whirling Dragon Staff."

Fu-Pow

CLFNole
11-13-2001, 03:21 AM
The character is pronounced more like haang not hung. Haang means to walk like in haang gai or "to walk around and go shopping". Loong Haang Kwun or Walking Dragon Staff.

I was told that the actual name is Loong Haang Bien Gwai Kwun.

Peace.

shinwa
11-13-2001, 04:50 AM
He was in Duel of the Seven Tigers. Such an awesome Kung Fu flick IMO.

Fu-Pow
11-15-2001, 08:44 PM
Ok, sounds good.

Fu-Pow

Paul Skrypichayko
11-16-2001, 03:22 AM
I've heard the crossed eye is what made him start training kung fu. Apparently he got picked on a lot when he was a little kid because of his eye, so he trained like crazy to be able to defend himself.

cloudhands
11-25-2001, 05:45 AM
lazy eye or not he was an incredible martial artist and fighter. he won fights in many underground hong kong fighting matches. he has proven many times and in many ways that clf is a style to be taken very seriously.

joy chaudhuri
11-25-2001, 05:55 AM
He was not blind. He was a superb teacher. Tat Mau Wong of San Francisco among others was his student.His younger brother now teaches CLF in Florida.

HopGar
11-25-2001, 06:02 AM
I had that and had surgery for it. its more a pain than anything else. Its doesnt make ya blind though, you just see double occasionally and then youre screwed for a little while.

Zvika

"He's not dead, 'es resting! Well if 'e's resting, I'll wake him up! 'Ello Mr. Polly Parrot...." -Monty Python, Dead Parrot Sketch