PDA

View Full Version : New interview from Paul Vunak

Ryu
11-12-2001, 10:09 PM
Welcome to what Paul calls his “State of the Union” interview…

PFS: Some have said that this interview is long overdue. Many of us are wondering why we haven’t seen you on the forums very much.
To be perfectly honest with you, I just don’t have time!
PFS: Paul, please tell us your opinion on the title of this interview – what is the “state of the union” as far as martial arts right now?
Well, I’ll put it to you like this…twenty years ago, there were but a few JKD people – let’s say one or two percent – who were competing for 98 percent of the pie. Now there are gobs of JKD people – the 98 percent, competing for just two percent of the pie.

PFS: If this is the case, how does this affect the way people advertise themselves?
You see, back in my day, it was relatively easy; if one was very passionate about what they did, they could be a pioneer. For example, I feel very fortunate to have introduced Savate to the United States; actually, I should say that it was my partner Daniel Duby that introduced Savate to the U.S. - I was his walking heavy bag! Back in the late seventies, early eighties, Dan (the true pioneer) would travel all over the states trying to educate people. The first process of this edification was the introduction of weapons to the United States. It is my honor to have been on the receiving end; watching people’s faces light up when we would show sumbrada, numerada, knife fighting, sparring, etc. was very exciting. As Dan would travel from school to school, the next thing he would introduce was Western boxing hands to the curriculum of Karate America. It was a wonderful feeling back then, to be showing people how boxing is so incredibly effective. Watching karate people from all walks of life turning their art functional for perhaps the very first time. We made a lot of friends, and I am very honored to have been a part of that.
Now we come to the eighties, and the next step in Dan’s quest was to introduce Thai boxing to all. We received a lot of grief from students who were extremely reticent about kicking below the waist. Again, a very humbling and rewarding experience to watch people become more and more functional as they added these absolutely necessary elements into their personal matrix.
The next major revelation that most of America had, as a result of Dan’s teachings, was how lethal trapping/clinch range could be. It was absolute comedy to watch people’s jaws drop to the ground as Dan would go through a litany of eye jabs, arm wrenches, elbows, knees, head butts, etc. The only unfortunate part of that was that I was on the receiving end! Introducing Kino Mutai to the world has been interesting, to say the least. I think out of everything, Kino Mutai was the most difficult to establish. It’s simply too brutal for most people to stomach.
I also feel very privileged to have been able to help introduce Jiu-jitsu to the United States. Although I received a lot of flak at first from many schools that laughed at the idea of lying on the ground and putting a man between your legs, when I look now and see everyone doing it, I have to admit I feel all warm and fuzzy!
This is why I say that pioneering back then was doable; I have to tell you I feel sorry for the kids nowadays who want to make a name for themselves and be different in some way. I’m not trying to say that everything there is to do has been done – but it is getting extremely difficult to be different and stand out. And some people just try so hard!

PFS: Could you give us an example of what you’re talking about?
Well, the simple fact is that before Bruce died, some of his last words were “Jeet Kune Do is only a name; please don’t fuss over it.” Since then, I count roughly 15 factions of JKD; and in the last 24 years that I’ve been with Dan, I know of over 30 people that claim to have created a “new and improved” Jeet Kune Do. This, “My JKD is better than your JKD” shows a total lack of understanding of Bruce’s paradigm. Even within my own organization, I had a student that was a full instructor; in a self-advertising post he was trying to get people to view his new drills, using the phraseology “non-PFS material.” Again, reminding everyone that the purpose of my creating Progressive Fighting Systems was to have thousands of different minds, inventing new and different things. This begs the question: How can one be in PFS, be a full instructor under me, make up a new drill, and call it “non-PFS?” This again just shows how desperate people are to try to be different.

PFS: We’re going to name some names, and would like your frank opinion of these people.
Jerry Peterson, Jerry Beasley, Matt Thornton, Ron Prather, Lamar Davis, Erik Paulson, Chris Clugston, Burton Richardson.
First of all, I cannot answer that question because I object to the way it’s stated. I do not believe it is appropriate or respectful to clump Burt Richardson, Matt Thornton, and Erik Paulson in with the rest of those folks. Burt and I go back a long way, I believe him to be my friend, he’s always shown nothing but respect and admiration for Dan, and is a very good martial artist with lots to offer. I feel the same way about Matt Thornton. Matt is what I would call a distant cousin of ours – much like the Machados and the Gracies are cousins. Matt learned his JKD from Tom Cruse, who you all know is a student of mine. I respect Matt very much – he’s an excellent fighter, an excellent teacher, and I always recommend his tapes to everyone. And Erik Paulson – Hell, what can I say about Erik? He’s probably one of the coolest guys I’ve ever met in my life.

PFS: Does this mean that you agree with everything that Matt, Erik, and Burt have to say?
Of course not! I don’t believe everyone in any field can agree on everything. As I’ve said before, two doctors don’t always agree on the way each patient should be treated; two lawyers don’t always agree on how every detail of a case should be argued; etc. This does not affect respect or friendship.

PFS: What do you think about the infamous question that has been flying around for the last few years: Does trapping work?
First of all, the main problem with such an ambiguous, open-ended question as this is simply a question of semantics, and peoples’ respective different levels in the martial arts. I’m going to do a drill with you guys: Shut your eyes, say the word “trapping” three times in a row, and then say the first technique that comes to mind. Please do not read on, because I do not want to give the answer yet. Now, here’s the answer: If your technique was “pak-sao,” you have a very limited, antiquated understanding of trapping. Trapping is, first and foremost, a range, not a technique.

PFS: Could you give us an example of what you mean?
I think the best way we can go about this is to explain the genesis/evolution of my trapping paradigm. It all started back at the Kali Academy when I was boxing six days a week, four hours a day. I thought I had taken my boxing hands extremely high, and that the world revolved around the glove. Then one day I met and sparred with a guy named Bruce Curry, and his brother Donald. I was beaten so badly, I was lying there hunched over, and Dan looked at me and asked what the hell was the matter. I told him this incredible revelation that I had, that no matter how hard I trained or how many hours I boxed, there would always be someone a little bigger who’s trained just as hard. Dan said, “You’re right, Paul, when you do just full-contact punching and kicking, you have to fight within your own weight class. There’s only one way that I know to fight outside of your weight class; you have to de-fang the snake and render it harmless.” At that point I said, “What snake?” Dan looked at me and his mouth said, “The metaphorical snake, Paul.” But his eyes said, “The metaphorical snake, dumb****!” When you smash the hand, the opponent relinquishes his weapon, and you have de-fanged the snake. In the world of empty hands, the way you de-fang the snake is to straight blast the opponent and force him to run backwards. Now you have rendered this person relatively impotent. For the next several weeks to months, I put the helmet on everyone and sparred full-contact in all the classes (Phases Two and Three). Once I became proficient, I was amazed at how effective the straight blast was. Eventually, people started whining and I was forced to blast on their chests - no one wanted to put on the helmet anymore. Straight blasting the chest was much more difficult; but eventually I prevailed. The one thing I noticed was no one ever gave me a reference point for me to trap when I would blast them. Most people simply covered and turned away. I could rarely, if ever, apply a pak sao or a lop sao, etc. Where were the Wing Chun traps? Most people covered up, and it was most natural for me to “trap the neck,” using the Thai boxing clinch, and subsequently thumb the eyes, and head butt, knee and elbow. So my formula became: Enter…Straight Blast…Head butt, Knee, Elbow. I got to the point where I could do this formula in my sleep, with relative impunity. As the years went on, I moved up to the Phase Four and JKD classes. The folks in these classes were simply at too high a level for me to pull off my formula against them. We had many pro boxers, kickboxers, and Thai boxers, and for month after month after month, Dan would watch me attempt my formula (enter, straight blast, HKE) to no avail. I had no boxing gloves on, and could not return fire to the face, but would receive very heavy blows from everyone else. Dan finally got tired of watching me eat leather, and gave me a rather odd directive. He suggested that I stop sparring in the JKD class, and join his weapons class. At that point, I protested vehemently. I believe my words were something like, “Dan, what the heck do I need weapons for? After all, I’m not going to be walking down the street, and some crazed Filipino is going to jump out of a tree with espada y daga, and I of course have my espada y daga handy to defend myself.” At that point, Dan once again gave me the “dumb****” look and very patiently explained to me that there were these things called attributes, and I seriously lacked them. There were a myriad of wonderful drill that the Filipinos invented, that he called self-perfection drills; and he assured me that if I got into his class for six months, the attributes that I lacked would be raised and I would be able to enter, straight blast, and head butt the JKD guys as well.
Well, to make a long story short (it appears to be too late for that), after six months, four hours a day of sumbrada, serrada, numerada, carrenza, hubbud, etc. Dan approached me and advised me to go back into the JKD class. I did so, and to my amazement, I was straight blasting, head butting, kneeing, and elbowing every person in the class. This gave me an incredible epiphany: I learned that full-contact sparring alone, even though it is the most “alive” drill one can do, is not enough to take a person even close to their fullest potential! I was elated at my new tools (my self-perfection drills) that could make people functional with their trapping. This is why I find it ironic that many of the people who say they cannot functionalize their traps coincidentally also hate self-perfection drills.
At this point I was convinced that there was no need for Wing Chun traps! About two years later, I got into a fight with a very famous Wing Chun man (I’m not going to mention his name). When the fight began, I entered with my straight blast, but instead of him turning and covering like everyone else, HE occupied centerline as a response, and we were stuck at a reference point. This precipitated a pak sao/lop sao from me, and I followed up with several elbows to the face, and was pleased with the result. The very poignant lesson that I learned was this: The only time you ever need to do a Wing Chun trap is if you’re fighting a Wing Chun man who happens to occupy center line. Otherwise, the vast majority of the time, one never needs to trap the arms at all. This is why over the many years to follow, when people hear me refer to trapping, I’m talking about an entry, straight blast, and head butting, kneeing and elbowing…not some pak sao! (Later, when I was teaching SEAL Team Six, I coined the name “Rapid Assault Tactics”, or RAT for short) for this method of trapping.

PFS: In the course of the invention of the Internet and these forums, some people have used them as a method of slander. In your case, some people have brought up alcohol and drugs. Could you please explain to us why on earth you think this is?
Absolutely. Because I did alcohol and drugs. (Although the drug thing is exaggerated greatly) Personally, I find it interesting and even slightly amusing why anyone would care what I did in the 80’s, but I can tell you this – the way people know is quite simple. I’ve been telling people for the last fifteen years. In every seminar, I allocate a certain amount of time for talks on spirituality. I have told people, very honestly and very blatantly, about the trials and tribulations, the highs and lows of my life with complete honesty. I have discussed, in great detail, how the martial arts have changed me as a person. At this point, if someone chooses to judge and take my inventory and not look deep down inside at their own personal skeletons, so be it - I have no control over that. Besides, guys, it’s not my fault! I’m allergic to alcohol.
PFS: You’re allergic to alcohol?
Yeah…every time I drink, I break out in handcuffs!

PFS: What do you think about Bruce Lee and Dan Inosanto’s concept of “Aliveness?”
I think aliveness is a highly important aspect of training. To me, the ultimate “aliveness” is to put a motorcycle helmet on someone, throw a pair of boxing gloves on them, and instruct them to spar you full-contact, anything goes. I have been preaching this very point to people for twenty years. If anyone were to get my Straight Blast tape that I made in 1986, they would hear me mention putting a helmet on and sparring full-contact roughly 19 times! When I sparred with Pat Bagley (he’s the 230 pound big brawny guy), I instructed him to simply spar normally, no cooperation. As I entered to straight blast, and head butt, knee and elbow, I got hit a few times in the face. At that point, some student said, “Are we going to do another take? We don’t want to keep that one in, obviously; you got hit.” I found that statement funny – I get hit in ALL my fights! (laughs). This is aliveness, folks.

cont. on next post

PFS: You have mentioned that you do not agree with everything that everyone says. Could you give us some examples?
What I would rather do is start out by telling you things I do agree with. Let’s take our cousins, the Straight Blast Gym, for an example. I will list some of the main areas that the SBG has in common with PFS.

Full Contact Sparring
Groundfighting
Jab, Cross, Hook, Uppercut, Overhand
Thai Boxing
Savate
Passing the guard
Mount
Cross-side
North-south position
Arm locking
Foot locks
leg locks
Chokes
Head butts, knees, elbows
Full contact weapons sparring

As you can see, we do so many things similar…all of the above techniques we both train full-contact; we are both heavily into sparring, both very heavily into groundfighting. One of the major dissimilarities between our respective curriculums is that SBG appears to have thrown out anything involving self-perfection drills.

PFS: What is your personal opinion of self-perfection drills?
I believe them to be the cornerstone of our training.

PFS: Could you please elaborate?
I have over 5,000 students worldwide. My clients include everyone from the hardest-core animals that you could ever imagine – i.e. some of my military special forces – all the way to the other end of the scale, including physically challenged children in my Adapt For Life program. I am not in the martial arts to just fight. That would be the Vunak in his 20’s. As Dan has spoken so eloquently, we first must travel through the physical door, then the mental door, next the emotional door, and finally through the spiritual door. Not to sound corny, but to me, spirituality means being able to help a wide spectrum of people…in every walk of life.
One of the toughest hurdles is for a martial art instructor to keep his students. The main reason students quit martial arts is the same reason they quit anything in life – they get bored with it. After all, if you were having an incredible amount of fun doing something, you certainly wouldn’t quit. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had the incredibly fulfilling experience of going to a school that has been doing the same things day in and day out. I teach them a drill they have not seen before, and all of a sudden, the “spark” comes back! People, it’s a beautiful feeling to know that you have an enormous repertoire of training methods and knowledge to pull from.
I can assure all of you that all of these beautiful drills that have been passed down to us from Dan and Bruce have a place somewhere in our lives. When I’m teaching my Navy SEALs, do any of you actually believe that I have these animals out there doing sumbrada or hubbud? Of course not. Nor would I do those kinds of drills if I were teaching NHB fighters. In these cases, our curriculum is simple: Rapid Assault Tactics. Full-contact boxing, kickboxing, stick and knife fighting. Brazilian Jiu-jitsu mixed with Kino Mutai. That’s it – that’s the entire curriculum.
If any of you could be a fly on the wall while I’m teaching a military outfit to prepare for a combat mission, you would be a little surprised. Mr. Down to Earth, happy-go-lucky California boy Vunak is up in people’s faces, screaming, cussing, and yelling. With the SEALs I made a point of sparring everybody, all the time. Tempers would fly, testosterone was very thick, and for 8 hours a day we never stopped. I can assure you that there are not many people on the planet as conditioned or as prepared for combat as these guys.
This Navy SEAL curriculum, combined with an onslaught of Killer Instinct/emotional training I believe to be the best curriculum for the military. You may ask, if this is the best curriculum, why do anything else?
Well, before I answer this, I would like you to pause for a moment, take a deep breath, and empty your cup. I will now share with you an epiphany I had that changed my entire life. This is the main reason for any success that any of you may think that I have had.
We, as martial arts instructors, must be able to cater to as wide an audience as possible.
Everyone out there is not a bad-ass Navy SEAL, and everyone out there is not a 250 pound, 6’5” NHB fighter…nor do they particularly want to be. If you people want to be successful in your schools, I highly recommend that you take this point to heart. The advice I’m giving you is not theory, it is fact.
Allow me to share with you just some of the people on my client list. We teach, for example, wellness programs to corporate America; one of our clients is IBM. When I drive to L.A., put on my suit and tie, and elevator up to the top of the skyscraper to teach 75 businessmen and women between the ages of 40 and 60, do you think these people want to glove up and kickbox, or hit the mats and grapple? This is when you will thank your Maker that you have an enormous repertoire of energy drills, self-perfection drills, reference point trapping, and basically everything that many people are proscribing so vehemently.
When I’m working with most of our 46 police departments, do you think I’m allowed to just have these guys going around head butting or boxing pedestrians? This is when I thank God for locking, Dumog, controls, come-alongs, etc.
When I’m teaching women’s self-defense (which constitutes 50% of the people on the planet) do you think that these women want to go toe-to-toe with men doing NHB stuff?
When I’m teaching my annual doctors’ convention in Atlantic City – do you think these people want to risk breaking their hands, or want to work pummeling and takedowns? Of course not – this is when I pull out carrenza, numerada, sumbrada, etc.
When I’m teaching disabled kids, some of whom are confined to a wheelchair, it takes every scrap of knowledge and imagination I have to tailor these “self-perfection” drills for them.
When I teach an anti-carjacking course, much of the battle takes place seated, fighting someone outside the window. This is when Wing Chun, centerline, and reference point trapping once again become relevant.
You see, I am at a stage in my life where certain things are extremely important to me. Because God has blessed me with a unique gift, I want to be able to give back; to be able to help people in all walks of life, not just teaching ass-kickers to kick ass better! To this very day, the single biggest high I’ve ever gotten came from a kid named Lydell. He was a nine-year old boy who was confined to a wheelchair. He was so shy the day I met him, he wouldn’t even look me in the eyes, and he absolutely did not want to practice martial arts. Roughly six months later, Lydell could slam you in the shins with his chair’s footrest, abaniko you in the head with a stick, and knife you in the groin, all while wearing the biggest ****-eating grin you ever saw.
I hope this post helps all of you to see the big picture. I would ask all of you one favor: If you’re ever browsing the forums and you see any topic that is in this interview, please refer people to my web site, as this is going to become a permanent fixture. (www.fighting.net (http://www.fighting.net))
In closing, I would like to leave you with a poem from Dan:

We are all climbing different paths through the mountain of life
And we have all experienced much hardship and strife.
There are many paths through the mountain of life
And some climbs can be felt like the point of a knife.
Some paths are short, and others are long;
Who can say which path is right or wrong?
The beauty of truth is that each path has its own song
And if you listen closely, you will find where you belong.
So climb your path true and strong
But respect all other truths, for your way for them could be wrong.
-Dan Inosanto

Peace…
Paul

http://home.vobis.net/user/roy/anime/images/streetfighter15.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Ryu
11-12-2001, 10:13 PM
:D
I'm dying to give the poem at the end a philosophical hard time, but out of respect to Guru Dan, I will not. ;)

(Obviously I know what he means)

Ryu

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Budokan
11-12-2001, 10:14 PM
I'm not a big Vunak fan but that interview was enlightening. Who conducted it by the way? (What is PFS?)

K. Mark Hoover

Ryu
11-12-2001, 10:17 PM
PFS = Progressive Fighting Systems

It's Paul's organization actually, but has branched out world wide with different instructors, etc. Technically I am a part of it also.

Ryu

EARTH DRAGON
11-12-2001, 10:29 PM
I will have to agree with budokan, I am not impressed with paul at all. I met him once and at the time I was impressed with his explination of fighting tatcis and slow motion demonsrtation, however when he went full speed every technique that he explained so perfectly went right out the window. I think is exucution has much to be disired but his reasoning and verbal statements are good.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Kung Lek
11-12-2001, 10:41 PM
wow, I never realized that it was Paul Vunak who introduced martial arts to the world and america in particular.

So, he brough savate to america too? and jujitsu? I could have sworn that stuff was here before he was knee high to a grasshopper.

Grappling? Trapping? Hmmmn, I guess Ark Wong's amongst others teachings in the early sixties must have gone wholly unnoticed by everyone.
(not to mention all the kids learning Kung Fu in americas chinatowns since before any single one of us was born and the inclusion of Karate into the United states air force training regimens for pilots in the early 1950's)

He must be very proud.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

Ryu
11-12-2001, 10:42 PM
Fighting with full speed and contact doesn't always look like the "perfect technique" you've mastered.

I know that for a fact.

But you're entitled to your opinion.

Ryu

Ryu
11-12-2001, 10:44 PM
I don't think he means he was the one that brought it, Kung Lek,
I think he means he was privledged to be working with the main guys prior to the "boom" of arts.
He had been working with Rorion, for example, before the GJJ boom in America, and he did incorporate it into his JKD.

Ryu

MonkeySlap Too
11-12-2001, 11:17 PM
Seperate the words from the martial artist.

Don't worry about what he is or isn't. If you taker it as training methodology neutrual it's a pretty fine interview.

Although it seemed to have a long set-up to slam the straight blast gym. What's the story there?

"Poor is the pupil who
does not surpass his
master" - Leonardo Da
Vinci

rogue
11-12-2001, 11:45 PM
It's weird, I used to really like Vunaks stuff, but as time goes on he doesn't sit well with me. Ever since his RAT system and the whole biting thing I just get the feeling he's just marketing. Also can he mention the SEALs a few more times?

Signed,
Rogue, Soke and Senior Grandmaster of Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Combat Chi jitsu Kempo Karate Do and Choral Society.

The only tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, “To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

Now I want you to remember that no ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb ******* die for his country.

MonkeySlap Too
11-13-2001, 12:00 AM
Like I said, seperate him from his art, and read what he says. Not bad. Of course it is full of marketing - why else do an interview when you make a living at this stuff?

Every one has thier own bag. His ain't mine, but that doesn't mean I'll dismiss him completely.

"Poor is the pupil who
does not surpass his
master" - Leonardo Da
Vinci

DragonzRage
11-13-2001, 12:06 AM
I think that some of what he says makes a lot of sense, but I also agree with rogue. A lot of the stuff Vunak says to market himself has made him lose a lot of credibility in my eyes. I still respect what he's done, but i'm more suspicious of anything he says and does now than I might've been a couple yrs ago.

"The UFC spawned a new breed of "mixed martial artists." World-class wrestlers learned to kickbox. Champion kickboxers learned to grapple. (The karate experts learned to stay home.)"

BaekHoKwan
11-13-2001, 12:53 AM
While most of us may not appreciate the marketing slant to the interview, this guy is making a living doing what he loves. It's all about self promotion (not in terms of rank), if you want to make it. There's nothing wrong with it. If he was a bozo, I don't think he'd be able to teach in the circles he does. Cops and Military people are the hardest sell you'll ever have for your Martial Skills. I know, because we live the life.

I don't think he's claiming responsibility for the spread of M.A. across the U.S., but he was certainly in a position to take part in it. Let's not forget how secretive Martial Skills used to be kept, especially by the Chinese. If Inosanto and others were out there back then pushing this stuff, good for them. Somone had to do it.

I've seen many of his tapes, including the Straight Blast tape. I've always been impressed with his no nonsense approach. He seems to be highly skilled and is a very good communicator. More power to him.

On another note, If I'd taught SEALS, you might catch me bringing it up from time to time when I was promoting my business. I teach Law Enforcement Officers, and I use it anytime I promote. What's wrong with using your past accomplishments to promote yourself? Is that purely indicative of dishonesty? I think not. Thanks for posting that Ryu.

C. Martin
"Pain is Neccessary!"

qimaster
11-13-2001, 01:36 AM
I also feel very privileged to have been able to help introduce Jiu-jitsu to the United States.

Paul Vunak

I wonder if he helped Al Gore invent the internet too.

JJ has been in the USA since the time of Teddy Roosevelt (Who himsef studied from a student of Sokaku Takeda, Teacher of Morihei Ueshiba), and am sure JJ had been in the US a bit prior to that,
with the immigration of Japanese to the US.

In as much as he might also be thinking of JJ as a consumer product, he is also very mistaken as
the DePasquale family has had school of JJ in NJ
since the late 1950's - early 1960's.

As re: teaching special forces.. Most of the time, the SF community will not take on an instructor from outside of their community. They will also not devote a lot of time to personal H2H combatives. If it comes down that point, you have really dropped the ball, and you are in some very deep sh!t. Rangers, SF, SEALS, etc.. Do not want to have to have up close and personal dealings. they prefer to do the death from a distance thing with their nice state of the art weapons.

I have taught, and continue to teach Air Force Security Police, but I do not say I teach Air Force SP's as a rule, I also tecah local Sheriff's Deputies and local Police Officers, but I do not say I teach for this or that police department.

In fact all of these people come to me on their own, at their own time. Local police and sheriff's departments have a set cirriculum of techniques they are authorized to use, and the ones holding sway at present are called PPCT. sadly the PPCT cirriculum was designed with doctors and lawyers in mind, and potential litigation that may arise from a suspect seeking
damages after being arrested.

Lastly, in order to become LEO Trainer certified, one has to become a member of ASLET (American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers), and IIRC, that position is only open to cops, not civilians. someone correct me if I am wrong on any of the above points.

Nothing against Vunak, everyone has to make a living, but some of his comments leave me wondering..

[This message was edited by qimaster on 11-13-01 at 03:50 PM.]

Wongsifu
11-13-2001, 01:39 AM
funnily enough i didnt like vunaks tape that i saw at all i just dubbed it as really bad wing chun but i think his interview is cool.

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

joedoe
11-13-2001, 01:40 AM
Cool post. Thanks Ryu.

I gotta admit I don't know that much about Vunak apart from the name and that he is a famous JKD'er, but he has some good things to say.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

SantaClaus
11-13-2001, 01:48 AM
**** him, ****em right up the ass.

Why the hell should I care about him? Why do I give a **** that he's rediscovering kung fu? Kung fu was never lost. He comes from a long tradition of people who don't know anything. Who give a ****. Interview a hsing I master.

yenhoi
11-13-2001, 02:32 AM
Bruce Lee plugs!

Jesus.

:D :D :D :D :D

Marketing aside,

Good stuff Ryu :)

strike!

BaekHoKwan
11-13-2001, 03:13 AM
Actually, you don't have to join ASLET or any other organization to teach Defensive Tactics. That's a ploy by those who run the organiztion. You'll never guess what they are motivated by.....$$$$. While PPCT is being used widely, and Qi Master hit the nail on the head with his description, there are many DT programs out there: Controlled Force, S.P.E.A.R. a la' TCMS (Tony Blauer), CQB Combatives (Chuck Hammermill), and a host of others. Some agencies probably have used Paul Vunak to instruct. Occasionally someone has the vision to allow new concepts into DT and CQB. Many systems do require that you be a Peace Officer to be certified, however many do not.

I, for one, would never be stupid enough to fabricate stories of teaching America's elite special forces. BTW, Seals do train extensively in CQB, including HTH tactics, just like many S.W.A.T. teams. De-escilation is the word we all live by now. Failure to train in HTH and CQB is just that....a failure to train liability. The moral of the story is.....there's been enough hype around Paul that I believe his claims would have been discredited by now, if that were possible.

Thanks for the input QiMaster. Very few here have been exposed to the type of training that PPCT is, and most DT is. Peace.

C. Martin
"Pain is Neccessary!"

EARTH DRAGON
11-13-2001, 07:04 AM
He who toots his own horn can be only be heard by 1
he who has others toot his horn can be heard by many!

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Ryu
11-13-2001, 09:56 AM
Can you guys toot my horn? ;)
Mai Tais for everyone if you do.

On a serious note, I've met and trained with Paul Vunak personally as well as some of his higher instructors. The guy definitly has his own personality, but he doesn't try to be someone he's not, and actually he does not like hype about him or his art. He personally sent out a notice to all magazines once discrediting an advertisement that made "invincible" claims of him. He doesn't think he's a bad ass, and he's actually quite humble when you get to know him.
The TRS adds are the things that bring bad press because they are so ridiculously over the top.
It was these very adds that Paul post his letter about...

It's okay to have your opinions, but make sure you at least meet the man before you start makind judgments on his motives and attitude. :)

Anyway glad it could cause so much controversy!
:D

Ryu

Ford Prefect
11-13-2001, 04:13 PM
He is talking about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Whenever you hear a JKD or NHB guy mention jiu-jitsu, 9 times out of 10 he is talking of the Brazilian flavor. Ya know... the one that's functional. ;) Hehehe. Sorry. Couldn't resist.